• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Armsthrift, Aether, Rightful King, Galeforce, and Ignis are all really good. And stuff like Astra, Sol, Luna is really good on characters with very high skill since it has a good chance of activating. Then you've got good defensive skills like Pavise and Aegis.

Some others are good in various situations, like Vengeance, Vantage, Lifetaker, and Renewal. The -breaker and -faire skills can be useful. Rally skills are good if you set up a character with several of them activating at once (female avatar or avatar's female child are best for this due to Spectrum+Heart+others).

And throwing in DLC skills, All Stats +2 is worth having during the main game, but you're eventually better off with Limit Breaker which increases all your stat caps by 10.
Thanks. This will help me plan my class progressions. I haven't found any usefull/accesible skill guides online. At least now I can work backwards from those to plan my class progressions decisions and marriages.

ffdgh

Log>them both....if only for reminding me of timburr.
KuGsj.gif

The DLC is expensive as HECK, and it's awful for the value.

I plan in buying all of them and have done so far

Heaven help me if Smash Bros. has a ton of high-priced DLC

Just beat the game, and to confirm:
Basically you beat the endgame, watch the credits, and then when you go back to your file it acts as if you haven't beat the endgame? Just making sure

Correct. Nothing you do in the endgame is saved onto your file. Regardless of all the great level ups you could have gotten.

Aexact

What do you mean? For raising sword skill level or for actually killing things (or I guess not killing things)? I'm only on Chapter 10 so I'm not all that concerned with grinding or anything yet.. I guess it's useful because you can just whack away for ages and not actually hurt them?

The "joke" weapons seem to have in-built Discipline skill in them so you master your weapon ranks faster.

Marche90

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so might as well mention it.

Supposedly, Kozaki will be doing an AMA on reddit later today, for those that are interested.

If you're failing to see the connection here, he's the one that designed the characters for the game.

I FINALLY finished recruiting all the kids and go now continue with the main campaign. Walhart has been waiting a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I don't know how to use reddit =x

Bow down to the RNG Goddess. Looking forward to The Strongest One's Name.
mEOrLwf.png

Moonlight

Banned
I am at her feet.

On this note, I should really get around to pumping Anna up in my next game (
and making her my Bride
). I got so invested in making sure my second generation characters were as strong as they could be, I completely forgot to do much of anything with my first generation characters.

I don't know how to use reddit =x

mEOrLwf.png

Holy Gosh. She's got Aether with a 35% base activation rate - paired with Rightful God turns it up to 65% activation. Then with Vantage+ she will ALWAYS hit first - with what's probably a more than fully forged Spear (the maximum is 13). This adds up to ~73 attack on the Spear alone - ~75 for the Brave Lance which is GUARANTEED to strike twice, up to I think a possible eight times if Aether activates each time.

Granted you can survive that assault, then you have to get past the Dragonskin that halves your attack -- you can only pray at that point that it even dents her through the Def/Res stats.

Also her Counter makes it futile to attempt to attack her head on - with her HP she will definitely outlast all of your units.

After you carefully have crafted your way to attack her -- out of the blue she will activate Aether and regain her health.

Grima himself, the Fell Dragon of the apocalypse is but a speck in Anna's world.

Paired-up A-Ranked Dual Supported+ maxed out with Limit Breaker units with Rally Spectrum, Rally Heart, Rally Strength/Magic with Tiki's Tears equipped with Valflame/Gungnir *might* have a fighting chance.

Edit: I think all those bonuses added up make around +22 basing it on a Sage paired with a Sage, with Limit Breaker makes it a grand total of about 82 Magic, if the Sage's default stat is 60 with Limit Breaker.

To increase the limit even further (dangerously so), a 1 HP Vengeance (from Miracle) with 80 normal HP adds I think 39 extra damage, which if you manage to activate Ignis on top of that could bring you to around 59 extra damage.

Pray for a Critical, and that adds up to a final ~423 dmg.

Edit 2 or 3 or something: although I forget if critical calculation is after Ignis activation

I probably did all the math wrong

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Donnel is the answer. Donnel is always the answer.

For the Final DLC probably not actually. What makes Donnel so good is his insane stat growths, but he doesn't have the greatest caps. The Final DLC is built around the idea that your guys are completely maxed, and if you take him into that fight, Donnel is going to be one of your weaker characters because of his shitty caps.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
But, Donnel has pretty crappy skills and has lower stat caps than most of the other characters. He's only good for playing the game to the ending if you don't want to grind. Oh, and making babies to give Galeforce.

For the Final DLC probably not actually. What makes Donnel so good is his insane stat growths, but he doesn't have the greatest caps. The Final DLC is built around the idea that your guys are completely maxed, and if you take him into that fight, Donnel is going to be one of your weaker characters because of his shitty caps.

Even so, paired up with another unit (S class with Panne in my case) pretty much guarantees he'll dodge any attacks and clobber them with Sol or a critical. Also, wow that's how the final dlc will play out? I'm looking forward to that and the Summer of Bonds stuff then.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So are you folks absolutely sure we will get all the DLC?

Summer of Bonds, Future of Despair, those kinds of DLCs, are you folks sure we will get it all?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So are you folks absolutely sure we will get all the DLC?

Summer of Bonds, Future of Despair, those kinds of DLCs, are you folks sure we will get it all?

I don't think it's been confirmed, but also hasn't been denied.

I think it's mostly a matter of, why wouldn't they release it all?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Even so, paired up with another unit (S class with Panne in my case) pretty much guarantees he'll dodge any attacks and clobber them with Sol or a critical. Also, wow that's how the final dlc will play out? I'm looking forward to that and the Summer of Bonds stuff then.

Not when they have stats like the Anna on the previous page :p Because with their high stats, they also have high avoid, will lower your chances of criticals, etc. IIRC, A handful of the enemies have 67+ Speed. Even with Limit Break and Pairing Up, its not likely you're going to double them. In fact, good luck not getting doubled.

The difficulty is also Lunatic+ on the map, regardless of the difficulty your game itself is set at.

Yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't. The game is selling pretty well here, isn't it?

Judging by the first month, this will likely be the best selling FE game in the west by a decent margin. And it hasn't even been released across the pond yet either.

I wonder if I'm the only one playing this way, but my team has almost exclusively been custom Avatar characters/SpotPass/DLC characters. While I miss having battle quotes and support conversations, their skill versatility is just incredible. They can fill every single niche of my team -- and if they die (on Classic) I can always just recruit them again with the same stats. (I know, it defeats the purpose of Classic, but whatever)

Turned DLC Eirika into a Paladin to better suit her FE8 incarnation, DLC Micaiah into a Valkyrie to improve her mobility while retaining her healing from RD, working on Nino to be a Sage and Katarina as a Grandmaster -- will probably make DLC Celica into a Grandmaster too so she's got Swords + Magic like in FE2 when I eventually get her. . .

Gosh it's like Pokemon all over again

Not when they have stats like the Anna on the previous page :p Because with their high stats, they also have high avoid, will lower your chances of criticals, etc.

The difficulty is also Lunatic+ on the map, regardless of the difficulty your game itself is set at.

Wait, so enemies are going to have those insane abilities exclusive to Lunatic+? I sense much grinding in my Morgan's future.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't think it's been confirmed, but also hasn't been denied.

I think it's mostly a matter of, why wouldn't they release it all?

Yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't. The game is selling pretty well here, isn't it?

Well, stuff like Future of Despair maybe, but somehow I doubt they will release 'fluff' DLCs like Summer of Bonds.

Though I will hate them forever if they deny us that.

Wait, so enemies are going to have those insane abilities exclusive to Lunatic+? I sense much grinding in my Morgan's future.

Enemies only exclusive skills for Lunatic+

Vantage+ --> Always attack first during the enemy's Turn
Luna+ --> Every attack has a Luna effect
Hawkeye --> Attacks always strike the enemy
Pavise+ --> Halves damage from swords, lances, axes (includes magical variants) and beaststones *
Aegis+ --> Halves damage from bows, tomes and dragonstones *

* = not including dual attacks.

An enemy on Lunatic + on the very first map equipped with both Luna+ and Hawkeye + hammer has a 100% chance to off Frederick in just 1 attack.

In fact, every time you see there are two or three enemies equipped with this kind of configuration in a map it'd be best if you just exit the map and reenter it, hoping to the RNG Goddess that none of the enemies are equipped with those two at the same time again.

ffdgh

I wonder if I'm the only one playing this way, but my team has almost exclusively been custom Avatar characters/SpotPass/DLC characters. While I miss having battle quotes and support conversations, their skill versatility is just incredible. They can fill every single niche of my team -- and if they die (on Classic) I can always just recruit them again with the same stats. (I know, it defeats the purpose of Classic, but whatever)

Turned DLC Eirika into a Paladin to better suit her FE8 incarnation, DLC Micaiah into a Valkyrie to improve her mobility while retaining her healing from RD, working on Nino to be a Sage and Katarina as a Grandmaster -- will probably make DLC Celica into a Grandmaster too so she's got Swords + Magic like in FE2 when I eventually get her. . .

Gosh it's like Pokemon all over again

See I don't wanna make it too easy.....tho prince makes a great despoiler with his max stats :p

So do I need to wait until level 15 to advance Donnel from villager or just do it at 10? I would look at a guide but I'm trying not to spoil what he turns into, hahaha.

Enemies only exclusive skills for Lunatic+

Vantage+ --> Always attack first during the enemy's Turn
Luna+ --> Every attack has a Luna effect
Hawkeye --> Attacks always strike the enemy
Pavise+ --> Halves damage from swords, lances, axes (includes magical variants) and beaststones *
Aegis+ --> Halves damage from bows, tomes and dragonstones *

* = not including dual attacks.

An enemy on Lunatic + on the very first map equipped with both Luna+ and Hawkeye + hammer has a 100% chance to off Frederick in just 1 attack.

In fact, every time you see there are two or three enemies equipped with this kind of configuration in a map it'd be best if you just exit the map and reenter it, hoping to the RNG Goddess that none of the enemies are equipped with those two at the same time again.

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Gun-to-Head.gif

The Final DLC is built around the idea that your guys are completely maxed
Is it possible to complete the last few DLC battles without grinding to max stats/skills? I was disappointed with how imbalanced and RNG heavy Lunatic and Lunatic+ were, would have much preferred FE12 Lunatic style balance and difficulty.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Is it possible to complete the last few DLC battles without grinding to max stats/skills? I was disappointed with how imbalanced and RNG heavy Lunatic and Lunatic+ were, would have much preferred FE12 Lunatic style balance and difficulty.

Its only the final DLC that is like that, and probably not. Its there purely for all the crazy min-maxers like me to throw ourselves at. That being said, from what I've read online, you don't actually need to even beat it to get the final character.

Its only the final DLC that is like that, and probably not. Its there purely for all the crazy min-maxers like me to throw ourselves at. That being said, from what I've read online, you don't actually need to even beat it to get the final character.

Wait, you don't? KATARINA YOU'RE OBTAINABLE :D

Okamid3n

So do I need to wait until level 15 to advance Donnel from villager or just do it at 10? I would look at a guide but I'm trying not to spoil what he turns into, hahaha.

You can only class-change him; the villager class goes up to 30 and has no promotion. Class-changing him will give him some decent stat boosts though, so he should be good right off the bat if you class-change at level 10. You can, however, wait until level 15 to class-change from villager. This'll net you an extra skill which gives you some avoid when facing higher-level units. It's not that good, but it's...there? Probably better to just class-change him early.

(I say that, but I always end up just waiting until he's level 15 anyway.)

On an unrelated note, Donnel's cap modifiers aren't really much worse at all from every other non-children characters.
http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/char_max.html

The only thing "bad" about his cap modifiers is that luck is kinda a "meh" stat. It's really not a deal-breaker at all, though. People say he has bad caps, but it feels like an exaggerated thing to say.

ffdgh

It's so convient that the kids stats and skills aren't set until their map is beaten. It's nice checking in on morgan and see her stats slowly rise while I get the other kids.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

So yeah, good luck with your Morgan, hahaha.

Dude, FE12 Lunatic balance? You can't even pass the 1st tutorial battle if you are a mage, hahaha.

At least in this game you can grind to level the field against Lunatic and Lunatic+ (and even then you are still often times horribly overpowered) with a wider choice of character/skills to choose from. In 12, with no chance to grind, you are at the complete mercy of the RNG Goddess and the characters you can actually pick are extremely limited.

Okamid3n

Speaking of FE12, I finally managed to get FE12 on DS with the fanmade translation patch and it's pretty good. I'm playing on maniac and I basically have to use a TEAM of units to win. My biggest problem with Awakening is that the best tactic is to just use MU for literally everything.

But I do miss how much more polished and convenient to play awakening is.

Dude, FE12 Lunatic balance? You can't even pass the 1st tutorial battle if you are a mage, hahaha.
Yes you can.

At least in this game you can grind to level the field against Lunatic and Lunatic+ (and even then you are still often times horribly overpowered) with a wider choice of character/skills to choose from. In 12, with no chance to grind, you are at the complete mercy of the RNG Goddess and the characters you can actually pick are extremely limited.
The player having many options to trivialize Awakening's Lunatic and Lunatic+ difficulty, including grinding, is what makes it imbalanced. FE12 is nowhere near as RNG heavy as the first couple chapters of Lunatic+. Yes your roster choices are limited, the balance comes in the fact that you can't choose some massively OP character to solo the game with, unlike Awakening.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes you can.

The player having many options to trivialize Awakening's Lunatic and Lunatic+ difficulty, including grinding, is what makes it imbalanced. FE12 is nowhere near as RNG heavy as the first couple chapters of Lunatic+. Yes your roster choices are limited, the balance comes in the fact that you can't choose some massively OP character to solo the game with, unlike Awakening.

Sorry on that Mage stuff, not Lunatic, but Lunatic Reverse.

And in my personal opinion, you are even more at a complete mercy of the RNG in FE12 than you are in FE13. If the RNG in FE12 screw folks like the MU, Caetra, or Marth badly, then you are pretty much screwed with *no chance* to make it right, unlike in the FE13 where you can grind to compensate. Hell, a lot of people are known to completely abuse the resetting feature for that game if the MU doesn't get level up like +1 speed during the early levels on FE12, and specific MU configurations *guarantee* that you will *not* be able to complete the early levels of that game in hardest difficulty, unlike in FE13 where the players can have a bit more freedom in this regard.

An analogue: consider Lunatic/Lunatic+ in FE13 as if you are wielding a sword and the computer wielding a tank on a playing field. You are horribly outmatched at the beginning. In FE13 at the very least you can train until you can bring a tank too on the field so that you and the computer can stand in an even ground with nothing but tactics and strategies to secure victory. In FE12, if RNG screws you bad then that sword is all you have for the rest of the game while the game throws enemies upon enemies wielding tanks at you. In that way, FE12 is much, much more reliant of RNG than FE13 ever will.

Bonus: in FE12 you are pretty much *required* to train specific characters to prepare for the final battle if you want to rescue a group of characters there. The game makes no indication about this whatsoever (and if it does, it is very, very vague), and if you do not train those specific characters beforehand then you are pretty much screwed. I swear I facepalmed so hard when Sirius, a guy that I pretty much neglected throughout my playthrough, suddenly talk to my MU on the final map asking me to bring him, GAHHHHHHHH.

(I've never been that good with analogue I know, hahaha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom