• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonercop

So you guys know how the Legend of Zelda for the NES is supposed to be sorta a desert wasteland of a kingdom long past its golden age -- with Link to the Past serving as what the Kingdom once was?

I get the same feeling from Awakening, and Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem; but switched around.

I mean, think about it -- if you compare the maps of Ylisse and Archanea you'll notice that the shorelines are receding -- major climate change has gone on that's made the mostly lush environments of Gra and Altea into desert wastelands. The Kingdoms aren't quite so dense -- other than the City of Ylisstol and Plegia Castle, everything on Ylisse seems to just be towns and settlements. Even Valm doesn't seem nearly as populated as it was in the time of Fire Emblem Gaiden.

My theory as to why there seems to not be quite so many towns (other than development complications) is that the world is beginning to decline. It seems that for the most part, Gods have been mostly forgotten -- Mila, Duma and Ashunera decided to leave the world to the humans, Naga's been dead/dormant since even before Shadow Dragon, and the age of the Heroes of Marth, Sigurd and Alm's time has been relegated to myth -- the DLC shows that even Chrom and the Tactician aren't sure how accurate the Jugdrali sagas are, considering its been over 2000 years. So maybe, without divine intervention, the natural world is beginning to decay?

My other theory is that Ylisse is still undergoing reconstruction over the last time Grima was a threat -- about 1000 years previous. Considering his bones are strewn across the former island of Dolhr, he must have caused serious damage.

Walmart commands like a million dudes, though. And when they reference the other Valmese armies they mention they're in the hundred-thousands as well. That seems way larger than most FE games, especially the Tellius FE, which were the only other games in the series that acknowledged you actually weren't bringing down countries with 5 guys.

...or alternatively, we're putting way more thought into this than the devs ever did:p The game kinda doesn't make a lick of sense if you start thinking about the anime politics for more than a second.

donny2112

55jvFg2l.jpg

Cross post from the pick up thread. This is....beautiful. Love the shimmering effect, and the overall quality is higher then what I was expecting.

Just got it in here today, too. Love that Amazon.co.jp got it here a day before the March 27th release date (even though it is March 27 in Japan, now :p ). Tried to take a couple of pictures of the outer packaging showing off the shimmer, too.

donny2112

Can't answer your question, though. I'm not one to import things.

Amazon.co.jp worked great for me, but you need a credit card that will let you buy stuff in another currency, usually for a surcharge.

Is there an online list of what the tracks are in English? Want to rip everything but want to put in the actual names for stuff with it.

Edit:
Found one at Serene's Forest. :)

Edit2:
Interior pic of the OST.

Chrom

Send the PM to me too please? I am interested..

Sure thing.

Whoa, that's absolutely gorgeous. What all is on disc 5, anyways?

From Serenes Forest:

According to the report, the OST includes 93 tracks (1 more than previously reported); disks 1 to 4 contain 24, 20, 23 and 26 tracks respectively.

Meanwhile the elusive data disk contains the full voice track, various sound effects, a HD version of the game's opening movie, plus a piano score for "You may call me Marth."

Apparently, he was never a fan before Awakening:
Q: Were you a fan of the Fire Emblem series before doing the designs for Awakening?

A: Actually no. I hadn't played the game before I started to do the design. I didn't know a lot about the game. But that also means I wasn't influenced by the previous designs, so I could work more freely.

donny2112

I don't suppose it's still available anywhere at retail price. I think I need this. :|

Amazon.co.jp will have it back in stock on April 1. Shipping (very, very fast; took two days from Japan for me) was 2,000 Yen, though, so the full cost was like $65 with the credit card surcharge for doing the transaction in Yen.

Apparently, he was never a fan before Awakening:

Was in the Iwata Asks on the game, too.

donny2112

Ugh, thanks. My poor wallet.

Someone had posted a link to the Knights of Iris Fire Emblem art book (the big one), and that was about $65/$70 with shipping, too. Have both, and if given the choice between them, would go with the art book. Both are very nice to have, but the art book is just fantastic on top of the very nice. :)

Edit:
The $70 place for the art book is "Out of Print,", though, so nevermind. :(

Edit2:
That same website has the soundtrack, though, and it would be < $60 shipped w/ typical credit card surcharge. :)

CorvoSol

I haven't even played this game yet, and I'm pretty sure I already know who mai waifu gonna be. Cordelia looks like prime waifu material, sir.

Advice about Cordelia, make sure you get familiar with her personality first before marrying her. Once you commit, there is no going back.

I learned this the hard way.

My current save file is a harem. Nearly all the girls are ready for S-Rank (except Miriel cause she's dead)

Tiki baby you're my first choice

Edit: I just remembered what we should have asked Kozaki, whether or not he'd be willing to work on Fire Emblem again!

Advice about Cordelia, make sure you get familiar with her personality first before marrying her. Once you commit, there is no going back.

I learned this the hard way.

And don't forget to look into your future daughter as well!

This does raise a question: Does your Avatar also have the generic supports if they are someone's (not Morgan's) father?

CorvoSol

Oh man is Cordelia's personality bad? I was already planning on pairing her with Chrom, but when I saw Chrom was a no go, I was like "Well, I mean, I guess The Avatar can take her then."

Red girls are best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom