• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

I wouldn't mind if Kozaki does the art again, but I do wish IS wouldn't confine the characters into looking like their default classes. While it looked cool when they were revealed, when everyone wears the same outfit as a Myrmidon or as a Mage, it isn't as interesting.

Even if that is too much work, at least give the characters in their default class a special outfit so they don't lose their uniqueness and look like your avatar with a special head and haircut.

It's easy to do: simply remove the possibility to reclass characters. That way the artist only has to draw pnly 2 or 3 outfits for each character.

@ffdgh: WTF
I didn't bother training him because he's too young and I don't want children in my game.

GeekyDad

So, Smash 2 with the Wedding Bouquet is what gives you the Bride class, right? Got money on my eShop account, but eh...I'm finishing up my third playthrough, and honestly, I'm not sure how much more time I'll invest in the game right now. It's been nothing but goodness -- got my money's worth for sure -- but not sure I've got much more in me. Is the Bride class pretty good? Kinda thinking I might just buy something else on the eShop instead.

I've spent over US $30 on all the DLC. No regrets!

Although I'm mostly enjoying it for the nostalgia factor. These first maps are kinda too much if you're not familiar with previous Fire Emblem games... I think the only DLC maps I can really recommend someone who's not as invested in the series are the Golden Gaffe that'll make repeat playthroughs a little less tedious and Ike's map that will come out a little over three weeks from now, which grants limit breaker that'll give your units +10 to Max stats. If you're willing to spend on new classes, that'll run you up around $7 for both the Dread Fighter and Bride class. Other stuff that's available is Iote's Shield that protects flyers from bonuses against them, Paragon that doubles experience yield, and All Stats +2 which isn't all that great anyway.

If you are absolutely engrossed in this game, then by all means, buy the DLC. If not, well I don't think Bride is all *that* great... it's not the ultra OP class you think it is.

VillageBC

I haven't played any previous Fire Emblem games, but heard plenty about the series and decided to give it a try. Most sRPG games I don't particularly care for, but this... I'm absolutely loving it. Barely been able to put it down and only when forced because of children or flashing red I'm going to die light.

Playing on Normal difficulty but with perma death. So far, I've lost pretty much every new character they've tried to introduce to the team. =)

Has anyone ever reclassed ricken to a class with horses? It's hilarously adorable how he ride mini horses(ponies?) XD

He also keeps his oversized mage hat as well. You can barely see him when he's decked out in a Great Knight's armor with his hat or with that super popped collar and his hat as a Dark Knight.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, Panne needs a mate. Her options are Vaike, Libra, and Ricken.

Vaike has the best cap mods and gives Sol.
Libra gives decent cap mods and Lifetaker, Vengeance, and Renewal.
Ricken gives the worst cap mods, but gives Luna, Aegis, and Lifetaker.

CorvoSol

I played Project M like crazy back when I was in school during the Fall Semester, and nearly every single time I played as Marth remodeled as Lucina or Lyn. Soooo good.

5v1gk.jpg

al_121217_1447binout_zpsf96b3440.jpg

They both fit really well thematically. LYN AND LUCINA FOR SMASH 4

Hey wait, so is Lyn fully playable in this Project M as an alt for Marth? That sounds almost worth it to me.

NeonZ

I wouldn't mind if Kozaki does the art again, but I do wish IS wouldn't confine the characters into looking like their default classes. While it looked cool when they were revealed, when everyone wears the same outfit as a Myrmidon or as a Mage, it isn't as interesting.

I just wish they had implemented color pallets. It shouldn't be hard to give every single one of Owain's models a yellow hue replacing the blue one. They don't need actually handmade exclusive textures/models for random class changes outside of his main tree, just different tones automatically applied would help a lot making each character still look unique after class changing.

So, every single one of Owain's optional classes could have a yellow hue replacing the blue colors, while Henry would get purple replacing the blue. That also easily could be used for legacy characters, even if the next game still has 120 of them or more (Awakening's crew might be legacies themselves next time if the game isn't a direct sequel). So, say, the Black Knight would always get a black hue in any class, while Amelia would get a red/orange hue.

heringer

I haven't really followed much of Gaf's reaction to this game, but I know it's the best reviewed Fire Emblem game and proclaimed to be the best 3DS game for some people, so I thought I was in for a treat since Fire Emblem is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

Well, turns out this is kind of a mixed bag, and a disappointment overall (I'm at chapter 18). :(

For starters, it's criminaly easy. Granted, I'm not playing it on Lunatic, but hard should be enough of a challenge.

Pair up is a fun new mechanic, but it's downright broken. Game is a cakewalk if you use it, and you won't need strategy at all. I'm not really grinding either, only doing the paralogues.

Map design is kinda weak, and the objectives are boring and repetitive.

Story is bland and generic. Now, all Fire Emblem games have generic stories, but it's like they really didn't want me to care about what's going on.

There are a few things I like though. Making couples, recruiting
their children
and developing your favorite characters is always fun and a big part of why I love Fire Emblem. And I do think Pair up is a great addition, but it should be nerfed. Different couples give a big replay value too, and Fire Emblem finally got the production values it deserves. I love the 3D effect on the battlefield.

It's still a good game, and it's still Fire Emblem (even when it's bad, it's good), but I was expecting the best Fire Emblem game and Awakening isn't even cracking top 3. Only better than Shadow Dragon and Sacred Stones I would say.

Radiant Dawn is still my favorite. Maybe next time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't really followed much of Gaf's reaction to this game, but I know it's the best reviewed Fire Emblem game and proclaimed to be the best 3DS game for some people, so I thought I was in for a treat since Fire Emblem is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

Well, turns out this is kind of a mixed bag, and a disappointment overall (I'm at chapter 18). :(

For starters, it's criminaly easy. Granted, I'm not playing it on Lunatic, but hard should be enough of a challenge.

Pair up is a fun new mechanic, but it's downright broken. Game is a cakewalk if you use it, and you won't need strategy at all. I'm not really grinding either, only doing the paralogues.

Map design is kinda weak, and the objectives are boring and repetitive.

Story is bland and generic. Now, all Fire Emblem games have generic stories, but it's like they really didn't want me to care about what's going on.

There are a few things I like though. Making couples, recruiting
their children
and developing your favorite characters is always fun and a big part of why I love Fire Emblem. And I do think Pair up is a great addition, but it should be nerfed. Different couples give a big replay value too, and Fire Emblem finally got the production values it deserves. I love the 3D effect on the battlefield.

It's still a good game, and it's still Fire Emblem (even when it's bad, it's good), but I was expecting the best Fire Emblem game and Awakening isn't even cracking top 3. Only better than Shadow Dragon and Sacred Stones I would say.

Radiant Dawn is still my favorite. Maybe next time.

The paralouges are really meant to give you the kids, or Donny, who you only need on lunatic. Getting them for hard will basically break the game, since they're so much better than their parents.

Gestahl

That only matters if you're grinding the parent stats up like crazy beforehand. Most of them can't even be gotten without an endgame capable team anyway

Should've known something was up when the "where the Mii support at!?" game journalism crowd started creaming themselves over the game

zroid

Banned
That only matters if you're grinding the parent stats up like crazy beforehand. Most of them can't even be gotten without an endgame capable team anyway

Should've known something was up when the "where the Mii support at!?" game journalism crowd started creaming themselves over the game

I was counting the minutes for you to turn up after that post :V

heringer

The paralouges are really meant to give you the kids, or Donny, who you only need on lunatic. Getting them for hard will basically break the game, since they're so much better than their parents.

Yeah, I know this now.

If I know I can break a game though, I probably will (in RPG's). I can't help it. That doesn't mean I will grind, just that I will explore the mechanics handled to me the best way I can. I can't underperform just so I can have some challenge. And quite frankly, I shouldn't have to.

And yeah, Donny is freaking ridiculous. Giving how he joins your team and how useless he seems at first, I figured he would definitely be the traditional underdog that becomes a monster when you take the time to level him up. I was right.

Gestahl

I was counting the minutes for you to turn up after that post :V

Radiant Dawn's horrible Mii deficiency is an issue that should not be buried

Also the concept of grinding is horribly fucked in this game, since you can throw a shit Owain into a couple of spotpass teams for 5 minutes and come out with an unstoppable juggernaut. Grinding usually implies some significant time investment.

And yeah there's barely any variance in Donnel, he's basically the same character for 99% of people. That's what happens when you go stupid crazy with growth rates...

Gestahl

The cost of that hour or two you spent grinding on shit turtles and omega dinosaurs because you weren't good enough to beat the boss is supposed to act as some kind of deterrent though. :D

Soulhouf

You don't need them on Lunatic either. I'm at the end of my Lunatic run and I'm destroying everything with the parents. It's true I have 3-4 parents with stats maxed out but they are strong enough to beat the game even in that mode.
I think the children will be needed especially for the later super hard DLC and Lunatic+.

Meier

Just beat it but was unaware of the stats that'd show at the end. Missed Chrom and maybe one other person. Doh! It looks like my save within the fight means I can't seem to continue from the map and fiddle around more. Did I screw myself from fighting other paralogues and stuff?

Javier

Also the concept of grinding is horribly fucked in this game, since you can throw a shit Owain into a couple of spotpass teams for 5 minutes and come out with an unstoppable juggernaut. Grinding usually implies some significant time investment.
It's incredibly easy to tell, thanks to posts like these, those who have never played Lunatic.

ohlawd

Just beat it but was unaware of the stats that'd show at the end. Missed Chrom and maybe one other person. Doh! It looks like my save within the fight means I can't seem to continue from the map and fiddle around more. Did I screw myself from fighting other paralogues and stuff?

Not really. The game doesn't ask you to save after beating it. Reload your last save.

Gestahl

It's incredibly easy to tell, thanks to posts like these, those who have never played Lunatic.

Ah yes Lunatic mode, the difficulty level where you don't even need the pay2win exp dlc (god help you if you want to play the game like a normal fire emblem and field a full team though) because Nosferatu, and to a lesser extent the Avatar/Veteran, is that broken, thanks for bringing that up.

I paired Miriel with Vaike and passed Gamble on to Laurent, who has now become a crit machine of death. I plan on reclassing him to Sorcerer once he gets Lifetaker so he can use a forged Ruin tome to take over the world.

Javier

Ah yes Lunatic mode, the difficulty level where you don't even need the pay2win exp dlc (god help you if you want to play the game like a normal fire emblem and field a full team though) because Nosferatu, and to a lesser extent the Avatar/Veteran, is that broken, thanks for bringing that up.
They're not as broken as you make it sound. You don't get Nosferatu early in the game anyway (in fact, you can't use it effectively until Chapter 11 when Tharja joins), you can't grind the free SpotPass teams (they only give 1 EXP per enemy) and enemies have quite some advantages over you because of forged Silvers and stats that can sometimes go past caps. A lot of times, enemies will deal a lot more damage that you can regain with Nosferatu.

It's impossible to break the game the way you describe without major grinding. If it's possible, then please share your tactics. I'm particularly curious at how you handle the early maps, specially without DLC.

Gestahl

People have beaten Lunatic in an hour, I don't particularly see the need for proof. You use Frederick as a crutch in the early game until Chrom and the Avatar can hold their own and you can start relying on one of those two until their exp gains cause them to completely outpace the enemy. There's not much else to it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Beat Lunatic in an hour? Someone must've be incredibly lucky or you're talking out of your ass. I demand proof.

ohlawd

Iunno lol maybe an hour of Lunatic is possible.

I don't know how consistent it'll be with the stat gains but I could see it. Skip all cutscenes, turn of all animations and enemy movement, jet through the maps to get to the boss at the very beginning.

Gestahl

jEAsXsg.jpg

A wonder what googling "Awakening Lunatic speedruns" can do

Not that I'm saying the above is a speedrun, but I never said one hour of actual real time.

ffdgh

so wait streetpass teams only give 1 exp on lunatic?.....yeah screw that. It's almost as if they demand you to buy DLC :p.

ohlawd

Lies.
That's one day, 14 hours and 53 minutes.

/joke

Must have had some beasts on their Logbook.

edit: as a side note, that's Aversa's official artwork? Wow uhh... I may need a trip to the bathroom.

CorvoSol

Radiant Dawn's horrible Mii deficiency is an issue that should not be buried

And yeah there's barely any variance in Donnel, he's basically the same character for 99% of people. That's what happens when you go stupid crazy with growth rates...

Thank God it doesn't in this game, then? Grinding is the uttermost worst thing about old RPGs. Terrible EXP gain rates have only ever encouraged me to cheat, not throw hours of my life away on things that shouldn't take that long. Pokemon is an excellent example of this. 600 Pokemon out there I shouldn't be busting my ass to gain 5000 XP for one kill.

Gestahl

Awful lot of assumptions about some random ass guy's save file

Thank God it doesn't in this game, then? Grinding is the uttermost worst thing about old RPGs. Terrible EXP gain rates have only ever encouraged me to cheat, not throw hours of my life away on things that shouldn't take that long. Pokemon is an excellent example of this. 600 Pokemon out there I shouldn't be busting my ass to gain 5000 XP for one kill.

Personally I feel being able to turn some useless shitlord into an unstoppable killing machine in 5 minutes might not be the best design, but different strokes I guess

CorvoSol

Awful lot of assumptions about some random ass guy's save file

Personally I feel being able to turn some useless shitlord into an unstoppable killing machine in 5 minutes might not be the best design, but different strokes I guess

Personally I feel that spending 20 hours of my life meticulously picking every little stat point to accomplish the same exact goal is not good design either, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom