• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

I haven't played B2W2 yet, but 100K exp for a level 1 Pokemon isn't the problem. The problem is struggling to get 3K for a level 50.

Not if it doesn't cost me 20 hours to do it isn't.

Hmm grinding the E4 with a lucky egg usually yields 5-7 k exp per ko at 50+ IIRC.

Whoops got a bit off topic there.

CorvoSol

Hmm grinding the E4 with a lucky egg usually yields 5-7 k exp per ko at 50+ IIRC.

Whoops got a bit off topic there.

In defense of the entire Black and White series, I didn't have to grind hardly anyone, because as soon as I could I shipped over my team from Soul Silver and that was that. Then I just used online to net me the rest of the dex.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

I don't know, is in FE13 grinding really required to defeat stuff like Lunatic? Judging by the fact that there's someone capable of defeating Lunatic Classic only in 1 hours and 14 minutes I say it is not really required. So in that way "grinding" is not a feature here that people can't finish the game without, even in the more punishing difficulties. It's not a "necessity", it's an "option."

I think "options" is always a nice thing to have. For those obsessed with stat gains/min-maxing stuff, hey, they can grind! For those wanting to challenge themselves, hey, don't grind! More people satisfied, more options for people who want to play the game the way they prefer, and more people are happy!

Locking the game for a particular style of play only is not good, in my opinion. The game should be flexible enough to allow people of different want and needs to feel satisfied when playing it.

And besides... the grinding maps/dlcs are a godsend for people wanting to collect supports. If it's structured like FE7, then holy hell collecting supports is going to be a major pain in the ass to do.

Gestahl

Just don't grind at all if you're one of them people that don't want to do it. It's not like it's forced. Geez. Also, FE5 reinforcements are amazing.

This kind of thinking tends to assume that the existence of the function doesn't in some way dramatically influence or impact the design of the rest of the game which as assumptions go is a pretty big one. It's not as easy as just ignoring it.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
This kind of thinking tends to assume that the existence of the function doesn't in some way dramatically influence or impact the design of the rest of the game which as assumptions go is a pretty big one. It's not as easy as just ignoring it.

Learn some self control. It really isn't hard to control yourself and not grind. Geez you people act like something that is completely optional kills the whole game. If you don't like it ignore it. This game lets the player play it however he/she wants. Why go and bitch about other people grinding if you don't like it?

Mr. Fix

It's like complaining about the glitches you can abuse to speedrun through games like OoT/RE4.
I love doing those, btw.

Gestahl

Learn some self control. It really isn't hard to control yourself and not grind. Geez you people act like something that is completely optional kills the whole game. If you don't like it ignore it. This game lets the player play it however he/she wants. Why go and bitch about other people grinding if you don't like it?

Again, it's not something you can ignore. What, you think they made the grinding elements in an isolated little lab somewhere and kept them out of contact from the rest of the game and the staff working on other things? That's not how game design works. You can't just ignore a mechanic when it undoubtedly has dipped its toe in just about every other facet of the game. I don't even care that the current subject is about grinding, but suggesting that you just "ignore" a core mechanic of a game is asinine.

Kincaido

^You can ignore it though. It's not like the game says you have to grind or just go on the the next chapter and not do anything else. Like I said, this game lets you choose how you want to play it. I haven't really seen you post at all until today and all you've been doing is start arguments. I'm just gonna ignore you for now. This whole thing is pointless.

It's like complaining about the glitches you can abuse to speedrun through games like OoT/RE4.
I love doing those, btw.

Yeah, lol. This whole thing is completely stupid.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Again, it's not something you can ignore. What, you think they made the grinding elements in an isolated little lab somewhere and kept them out of contact from the rest of the game and the staff working on other things? That's not how game design works. You can't just ignore a mechanic when it undoubtedly has dipped its toe in just about every other facet of the game. I don't even care that the current subject is about grinding, but suggesting that you just "ignore" a core mechanic of a game is asinine.

Like what? Tell me/us about 'other facets of the game' getting a grinding toe dipped in it. Examples?

You seem to imply that the game's overall difficulty to be upped to compensate for the ability to grind? And thus the game on harder difficulty levels is impossible to beat without grinding?

But then again it was you back then who posted about someone able to defeat the game in Lunatic Classic in 1 hours and 14 minutes, correct? Which would be impossible if the guy/girl did grinding, I think, which in turn also suggest that the core game--even in higher difficulty levels--is beatable without grinding, that the difficulty can be beaten even with your typical run and gun gameplay, with careful planning and strategizing (and luck, I guess)

So if someone actually managed to beat Lunatic Classic without grinding, then wouldn't it throw the notion that grinding is strictly required? And thus going back to one point I said in my previous post: it's an "option", not a "necessity."

Also, again, I must reiterate how much of a godsend the DLC maps is for collecting supports. If it's anything like FE7.... *shivers*

Gestahl

Yes influencing and impacting the rest of the game means that grinding is absolutely required okay

If you're going to go that route you can say the existence of grinding meant the devs didn't have to give nearly as much of a shit about balance and encounter design, meaning grinding can also potentially be responsible for the game's insane easiness and breakability without ever having to be used. The fact that it's in the game affects of the rest of the game, positively or negatively. It's not some grand concept.

I'm not taking issue with grinding right now, I'm taking issue with the notion that you can "ignore" something of that nature in a game.

zroid

Banned
The difference really is some people here are trying to have a philosophical discussion about game design, whereas the others are just trying to enjoy themselves while playing a game in the best way they can.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes influencing and impacting the rest of the game means that grinding is absolutely required okay

If you're going to go that route you can say the existence of grinding meant the devs didn't have to give nearly as much of a shit about balance and encounter design, meaning grinding can also potentially be responsible for the game's insane easiness and breakability without ever having to be used. The fact that it's in the game affects of the rest of the game, positively or negatively. It's not some grand concept.

I'm not taking issue with grinding right now, I'm taking issue with the notion that you can "ignore" something of that nature in a game.

Well, then you need to clarify then: in *what way* does the grinding aspect influence the rest of the game? In balance/encounter design? And if yes, in what way grinding influence those two aspect? That the dev make it harder/more challenging in order to compensate for the possibility of grinding? If yes, then is this a bad thing?

You say that the game is "insanely easy", but isn't that actually counters the implication that grinding is influencing the rest of the game's difficulty? If anything, the game *should* be harder if the option to grind is there so that players who just want to stroll can do so with grinding...?

The difference really is some people here are trying to have a philosophical discussion about game design, whereas the others are just trying to enjoy themselves while playing a game in the best way they can.

Ahem, ayup, agree. I think this game giving various options so that people of varying skills/wants can enjoy it is a good thing to have.

Did Awakening borrow anything from Radiant Dawn other than Bronze weapons and Concoctions?

Some of the skills originated in Radiant Dawn, like Discipline and Pass.

I guess from an animation aspect, the whole ready-ing the weapons at the start of a battle did start in Radiant Dawn as well. As well as the win poses.

TWILT

Banned
^You can ignore it though. It's not like the game says you have to grind or just go on the the next chapter and not do anything else. Like I said, this game lets you choose how you want to play it. I haven't really seen you post at all until today and all you've been doing is start arguments. I'm just gonna ignore you for now. This whole thing is pointless.

Yeah, lol. This whole thing is completely stupid.
Agreed.

It's times like this I'm glad the ignore option exists...

The best Dragongirl in this game is Nah.

Yeah I said it.

....Although Tiki is up there too.

But Nah is just too awesome.
Oh cool, I'm not the only one who thinks so. =D

Gestahl

Well, then you need to clarify then: in *what way* does the grinding aspect influence the rest of the game? In balance/encounter design? And if yes, in what way grinding influence those two aspect? That the dev make it harder/more challenging in order to compensate for the possibility of grinding? If yes, then is this a bad thing?

You say that the game is "insanely easy", but isn't that actually counters the implication that grinding is influencing the rest of the game's difficulty? If anything, the game *should* be harder if the option to grind is there so that players who just want to stroll can do so with grinding...?

Ahem, ayup, agree. I think this game giving various options so that people of varying skills/wants can enjoy it is a good thing to have.

I already put forward the idea that the existence of grinding could detrimentally affect the maps and encounter design without even being used. Why should the devs worry about fine-tuning and tightening encounters, enemy stats, item rewards, etc when the player will always have an answer? Oops the game's broken and easy. There. The possibility of a function or mechanic in a game having influence over the other buns in the oven is not something I expected to be contested in this way. Do you think the rest of Disgaea would be exactly the same if you couldn't enter weapons? Would the bosses in Dragon Quest be the same if the player didn't have access to stat buffing spells? I'm pretty sure those gremlin fuckers in the Witcher 2 wouldn't be so numerous if you didn't have bombs. A game is the sum of its parts for better or worse.

Kincaido

Agreed.

Oh, you're here.

tbjFZvl.jpg

Came across this the other day and thought of you =P

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^ Is that supposed to be... Nah?

I like them all as shown in a recent post of mine.

Nah's got the best supports ever so I'm inclined to make her my true favorite out of the three.

Agreed.

She's awesome. Her straight-face personality is endearing, hahaha.

Anyways, Kellam is a much better thief than Gaius, huh. That's sort of surprising. At least Kellam doesn't croak as much as Gaius when enemies with a large axe starts swinging his way.

Ahhhh well... let's just agree to disagree then.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All of my HNNNNNNNNG. <3

You're a bro.

It's Cherche in a bride dress. =P

Oh!

Well, she's awesome too. I like her faux-nice personality, the way she's all sweet and smiling when she bash a large axe on your head is also endearing, hahaha.

In fact, I found all the female cast in this game to be endearing, barring perhaps a very small few.

Haven't found much application for Gaius yet. Wish I could use him more.

He is so fragile :\ Well I suppose it's just fair he's that way since he is a Thief but both Anna and Kellam can perform his duties much more effectively than him too, in the way that they can also be fielded to heavily-infested area with much less worry.

Bringing him on the Infinite Regalia map kind of scares me :(

ohlawd

He'd see a lot more use if there were chests to loot and doors to open.

Oh wait.

But I like him. He's been RNG blessed on 3 separate playthroughs and he can pass Pegasus Knight to his daughters.

NeonZ

I already put forward the idea that the existence of grinding could detrimentally affect the maps and encounter design without even being used. Why should the devs worry about fine-tuning and tightening encounters, enemy stats, item rewards, etc when the player will always have an answer? Oops the game's broken and easy. There.

That makes no sense. If grinding had been taken account in main game balance, it'd make the developers make things harder, since they'd be expecting the player to go through random battles and strengthen their team as necessary to overcome each specific challenge, not make it easier than usual. However, that's the opposite of the reality here. The game can still be finished on Lunatic by a well prepared core team, without even exploiting the main balance oversight (Nosferatu). That doesn't indicate that grinding was taken as an essential part of the core game design, but just an extra.

Previous Fire Emblem games had arenas which allowed the player to max out characters much sooner than usual. Was the game designed around the use of those arenas? No. I guess you might bring up the ranking system of some entries, but arenas existed since before any ranking system was implemented and continued to exist after it was dropped.

Really, just look at the Bonus characters here. By combining fame bonus with the bonus teams, you can have a lvl 20 character by chapter 5. Was any difficult level designed around that? No. Yes, "ignoring" problems isn't a solution to solve core design problems, but I'm not convinced that "grinding" has been incorporated as a core element of this game. Really, the day we get a Fire Emblem where story progression is impossible without powering up the team in pointless battles I will be complaining. And that's one of the reasons I couldn't get through Gaiden - It'd doable without grinding, but only using specific exploits. Awakening really isn't the same. You just need to learn to keep a small team.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gaius' personality is so funny though, so that's a plus for him.

Also, speaking of RNG blessed, I have Vaike as a fighter got his defense raised on 7 to 8 level ups consecutively. Umm, fighter shouldn't be like that, right? Hahaha.

BlackJace

Oh!

Well, she's awesome too. I like her faux-nice personality, the way she's all sweet and smiling when she bash a large axe on your head is also endearing, hahaha.

In fact, I found all the female cast in this game to be endearing, barring perhaps a very small few.

He is so fragile : Well I suppose it's just fair he's that way since he is a Thief but both Anna and Kellam can perform his duties much more effectively than him too, in the way that they can also be fielded to heavily-infested area with much less worry.

Bringing him on the Infinite Regalia map kind of scares me :(

I turned him into an assassin and paired him with Tharja. Pretty kickass combo

If he just wasn't so fragile.

But, passing Pegasus Knights to female kids and his love for sugar makes him pretty awesome.

I'll look into these, thanks.

Gestahl

Previous Fire Emblem games had arenas which allowed the player to max out characters much sooner than usual. Was the game designed around the use of those arenas? No. I guess you might bring up the ranking system of some entries, but arenas existed since before any ranking system was implemented.

I never said anything about being designed around, I said influenced. You're kidding yourself if you think the older games would be exactly the same sans arenas.

ffdgh

Truthfully I wouldn't have known Gaius had access to hero if it wasn't for gfaqs. I assumed he needed mercenary to lead to hero.

Croc

Banned
Quick question.

When a character hits 20 is it recommended to Second Seal them and try and get other skills, or should I just Master Seal them to the advanced class?

backlot

And Sol is one of the gender-exclusive skills that he can pass down along with Pegasus Knight to Noire or Nah!

There can be female Hero's if they have access to Mercenary. Gaius just can't pass Hero down to his daughters since he gets it through Fighter instead.

There can be female Hero's if they have access to Mercenary. Gaius just can't pass Hero down to his daughters since he gets it through Fighter instead.

They wouldn't have access to Sol and being a Pegasus Knight other than having Gaius or Donnel or Avatar as their father.

I knew Severa was a man

Sol is basically gender-locked for them since they can't be a Fighter to become a Hero in the case of having Gaius as a father.

ohlawd

Quick question.

When a character hits 20 is it recommended to Second Seal them and try and get other skills, or should I just Master Seal them to the advanced class?

I would have used a Second Seal on a unit the second they learned the 2nd skill at lvl 10.

So generally. base units - 10 and promoted classes - 15 for Second Seals for learning new skills.

Sol is basically gender-locked for them since they can't be a Fighter to become a Hero in the case of having Gaius as a father.

You monster.

You didn't defend Severa at all.

donny2112

would have used a Second Seal on a unit the second they learned the 2nd skill at lvl 10.

So generally. base units - 10 and promoted classes - 15 for Second Seals for learning new skills.

Yeah, it's a big change from previous Fire Emblems, where we were trained to never promote until you're full up. Now it's like Dragon Quest IX, where you promote/switch as soon as you learn the skill you want.

Busaiku

Man, how am I playing so slowly compared to some of you guys.
I read some people say they're on like their 3rd or 4th playthrough.

My 1st playthrough on hard took me 120 hours...

donny2112

Man, how am I playing so slowly compared to some of you guys.
I read some people say they're on like their 3rd or 4th playthrough.

My 1st playthrough on hard took me 120 hours...

I'm still on my first playthrough on Normal/Classic, but I'm just grinding to get all the supports currently (except for the S-levels, of course). At 130 hours there, but think I want to take a break after 135 or so and play some other games. When I start my next playthrough, it'll be Hard/Classic and one of the goals is to use save restores to unlock all the marriage pictures for Avatar (M). Also will have planned out exactly who will marry who, so no extraneous supports on that playthrough. At least that's the plan ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom