• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rarutos

Bronze was added in FE10, which was the lowest tier but also literally couldn't critical.

Wow, I completely forgot about them being in 10 for some reason. Thanks for the correction!

I'd like to know more about forging, too. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost if the damn weapon is going to break eventually anyway.

In Path of Radiance, I mostly forged weapons just to compensate for a character's lack of strength. I'm not sure how other people used it, and I'm not sure how different it is in Awakening.

I'd like to know more about forging, too. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost if the damn weapon is going to eventually break, anyway.

Generally, forging is just to give the weapon a little oomph. Like increasing its might just cause your character has too low of a rank to wield a higher level sword.

Truth be told, I never really used it since even if I did forge a sword, I couldn't bring myself to use it most of the time.

I think they added Bronze weapons in this one, which are a tier lower than Iron.

Oh! Those are here? They added those in Radiant Dawn.

I'd like to know more about forging, too. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost if the damn weapon is going to eventually break, anyway.

You can go through the whole game without forging anything. It's not something you need to use often, if at all.

One of the main uses is if say, you've got a low-level unit you want to train, but they're too weak to kill anything reliably and their weapon rank isn't high enough to use a stronger weapon, you can forge them a stronger Iron Sword to help out. That's really the most practical use of forging.

Socreges

Banned
Forging is great. I normally don't have much to spend gold on, so it goes into creating extremely powerful weapons with sweet names.

(not sure if you can name your forged weapon in this entry)

Socreges

Banned
Weapon EXP (WEXP)

How does it work in Awakening? 1xWEXP for kills with Iron weapons and 2xWEXP for Steel?

Worth pointing out to newbies that if you use steel weapons instead of iron weapons, when able, your character will go from D to C (or C to B) much more quickly.

And IIRC silver weapons get you 3xEXP, if not more.

Artemisia

Banned

You can forge weapons that take advantage of a unit's poor stats. It can make training a weak unit easier than normal.

Frolow

Banned
I heard some mumblings in a few threads regarding the English version removing extra voicework in some of the dialog. Is this true or did I misinterpret something?

Sora_N

My Vaike is so boss, he killed so many dudes in each chapter so far.

And my Sully sucks, she keeps dying in each Chapter I use her so I had to restart a few times already. I'll probably forge her weapons.

I heard some mumblings in a few threads regarding the English version removing extra voicework in some of the dialog. Is this true or did I misinterpret something?

The Japanese version has four (five?) voices and a silent option for the Avatar. The English version has just three voices.

I'm already feeling the addiction set in. When my charge light started flashing, I was like "what does that flashing really mean? Surely I can keep playing..... forever..." O_O

Luckily, my saner head prevailed, and I bookmarked the fight and I finished it by an outlet.

Rarutos

I'm so insanely jealous. The wait for me has become almost unbearable now that I am done with FE12. ;_;

I should go play P4G or something in the meantime...

Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the Risen maps that's a remix of the main Fire Emblem theme but it has a more sinister tone?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Fire Emblem: Awakening is 10th on Amazon.com, and Dead Space 3 360 is 9th. Oh boy, a miracle is happening.

Chrom

Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the Risen maps that's a remix of the main Fire Emblem theme but it has a more sinister tone?

This one? I'm not sure if I could say that it fits the description very aptly, but as one who is very familiar with the music of this game, this is the song that came to mind.

The title is from the Japanese game so it's probably different. If it does play on your typical Risen map, going into the game options and switching the BGM (you can do this, yes) should let you see the names of the songs that you can play.

This one? I'm not sure if I could say that it fits the description very aptly, but as one who is very familiar with the music of this game, this is the song that came to mind.

The title is from the Japanese game so it's probably different. If it does play on your typical Risen map, going into the game options and switching the BGM (you can do this, yes) should let you see the names of the songs that you can play.
Actually, yeah that's the one. Don't know why I called it sinister, it's very chill. Guess I was just associating it with the monsters. Thank you! Also, I'll check out the BGM switching.

OceanBlue

Weapon EXP (WEXP)

How does it work in Awakening? 1xWEXP for kills with Iron weapons and 2xWEXP for Steel?

Worth pointing out to newbies that if you use steel weapons instead of iron weapons, when able, your character will go from D to C (or C to B) much more quickly.

And IIRC silver weapons get you 3xEXP, if not more.

I'm curious to know this too. Serenes Forest doesn't list WEXP for each item, and I know FE12 had iron/steel/silver(?) give the same WEXP.

Socreges

Banned
I'm curious to know this too. Serenes Forest doesn't list WEXP for each item, and I know FE12 had iron/steel/silver(?) give the same WEXP.
... really now? Good to know. Wish I'd found out sooner, but ah well.

That could mean that Awakening has done away with varied WEXP, too.

Roman

Fire Emblem: Awakening is 10th on Amazon.com, and Dead Space 3 360 is 9th. Oh boy, a miracle is happening.

That game is getting bad press but impressive nonetheless. I hope all this is promoting Fire Emblem in the ranks of franchises to revisit.

NeonZ

He (Frederick) doesn't have low caps. The caps are class dependent and the characters only add small modifiers to it.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_max.html

Frederick has a -2 speed penalty for his personal cap and no access to faster classes. Without DLC skills, the highest speed that he can get is 39, but that's in a class that cripples his str. He's usable, but when you get to the point that other characters will still be able to double enemies fairly often while that will just become harder and harder for him, his limitations become obvious. Of course, that "point" might not even arrive in the main story if you're just playing through normal, so he isn't -bad-, but he defintely lags behind the other characters by the end. On top of that, his class options have a limited number of offensive skills. There's luna, stregth + 2 and little else, with almost every other skill available to him being mostly defensive - but even then he still lags behind other defensive characters. Frederick isn't limited in the same way that some previous starting paladins were, but he can't really keep up with most of the cast after a while.

Koodo

Banned

This is one of my favorite tracks in the game so far. It's giving me Stickerbrush Symphony realness.

The OST in general has just been great.

Chrom

Weapon experience is still in this game.

Edit: Oh, misread. I'm not sure myself if it's varied or not, but I'd guess that it isn't.

Javier

You can never really go wrong with Fire Emblem music. It's been one of the series' highlights since the very beginning.

Nohar

Criminally underappreciated on GAF if you ask me. Maybe we can change this in the future.

I sure hope so. The series also sported wonderful themes, even on GBA. Though, PoR and RD's OSTs were magistral. I especially love Vow, from PoR (among other very good themes). Best remixed song ever (the original being A Knight's Oath from FE7 if I'm correct, though according to a YouTube comment this song goes all the way back to FE1).

Beat chapter 3 yesterday. Have my first side chapter and finally have the option to purchase equipment (Lissa's heal staff was just about to break).

Is there a bar showing your progress with weapon experience? I loved that RD had that, as it knowing about how far you were from the next weapon level was very useful.

StayDead

This is one of my favorite tracks in the game so far. It's giving me Stickerbrush Symphony realness.

The OST in general has just been great.

I really loved this song. Infact, the entire games music is great.

When you get near the end of the game too, the music is fantastic!

Tried and failed to get a preorder in a couple weeks ago, but now I've started thinking I'd rather have the eshop version anyway. I don't think I'd want this to leave my 3DS.

ffvjwj6.png
You just shattered my dreams.

Midou

Is there a bar showing your progress with weapon experience? I loved that RD had that, as it knowing about how far you were from the next weapon level was very useful.

It should be at the bottom of the screen that shows all the info about a character.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ah, of course. Don't give up yet though, it's probably at least a possibility still, right? I'd say it'll hit shortly after that Type-0 Vita port we're destined to get here in the West.

:(

I doubt the PORTable system will be getting much action from Type 0 outside of the JP PSN release at this point.

The one new mechanic in this FE that I was the most curious about (and skeptical) was the ability to pair up two units so that they share a tile. According to RPGamer's review, this feature is basically pointless:

The one addition that doesn't help too much is pairing up, a means of putting two characters into one square for stat bonuses. Doing this makes only the dominant member of the pair (which can be changed) gain any experience, and the statistic benefits of doing it are generally outweighed by simply being next to someone else. A pair also has no more chance of both members doing something in an engagement than compatriots alongside each other on the field, making it completely inessential.
That's fine with me really, since the idea didn't seem too promising to begin with. For anyone who has played a significant amount of the game, is this also your experience with the pairing mechanic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom