• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
gcNxKPI.png

On a completely unrelated note, here are the Sirs and Madams Not Appearing in this Game:

RESCUE (Series Staple)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Water really doesn't matter in Awakening either) (Like roaches, are everywhere in Fire Emblem)
MAGIC TRIANGLE (Anima Triangle?) (Series Staple)
Destructible Terrain (walls, snags, etc) (In plenty of games)
LIGHT MAGIC (Series Staple)
STATUS EFFECTS (SS)
Status staves (SS)
Defend missions (7-10)
Escape missions (Arrival variant as well)
STEALING (No wonder Gaius gets shit on so much) (SS)
Base Conversations (9-10, 12)
Laguz (9-10)
Crossbows (FE10)
Anima Siege Tomes (SS)
Ballista (SS)
Weather (FE7 only)
Fog of War (SS)
Environmental hazards beyond fire bad (Boulders, pitfalls, gas traps, etc) (6-10 at least)
Opening chapter narration (+ voiced narration) (SS)
Actual Monster Enemy Units (Giant fucking spider > Risen) (FE2, FE8)
Biorhythms (FE9-10)
ELEVATION (should have been the next major evolution in the series) (10)
Ally Units (9-10)
WEAPON WEIGHT (SS)
Constitution (SS)
Capture (FE5 only)
Fatigue (FE5 only)
Accessories (4, 7-10)
Branched Paths (5, 7, 8)
Arenas (+ 12 Training Grounds) (SS)
Bonus Experience (9-10)
Bonus Objectives beyond not letting green units die (Not killing any enemy priests, clear in x turns, escape without being seen, etc)
+ Dismounting (FE3-5)
+ Canto (any version) (SS)
+ Playable Soldiers (9-10)
+ Hidden Items (Deserts, that bizarre FE10 pulled. I guess you could call these the sparkling tile's shy older brother.) (SS)
+ Deploying every unit (FE4)
+ Repair Shops (FE4)

Staples: 18 (?)

Feel free to add any I missed! Obviously not all of these are essential and some only appear in a couple chapters in one game, but the actual scale of how much that has been stripped out is kind of hard to believe when you actually start thinking about it.

I don't think it's fair to say Awakening is missing Rescuing, when it introduced a new feature to replace it. Furthermore, every Fire Emblem game picks and chooses which features from previous games to include. Even PoR was missing things like Dark magic and arenas and all that stuff that Javier mentioned. Every Fire Emblem game is missing features present in other games. We could make a list like this for any game in the series.

Plus, saying those features have been 'stripped out' of Awakening is disingenuous considering many of those features only appeared in one game or one arc.

Basically, IS has a pool of features and mechanics to choose from when creating any new FE game or arc. For Awakening, they chose some and not others. It did include a world map, branching promotions, Great Knights, a mounted magic/sword class, reclassing, a nameable character, skills, multiple Lords, bronze weapons, and some other stuff. And it introduced some new features for future games to either use or leave out.

I glossed over the whole argument you were having before I quoted you so I don't even know what's being argued here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pirates is also debatable, since that goes back to map design. Water isn't really used so there's no effective difference between a pirate class and the playable barbarian class in Awakening, it's a matter of semantics.

And bronze weapons suck. I'd rather have slim weapons than bronze ones since those at least have a slight critical boost while being weak. Bronze weapons are just a slog to get through E rank.

It also seems like they might be getting rid of weapon weights and constitution too, since it was dropped in FE12 and didn't come back for 13.

Gestahl

^^^^If we're going to be bringing up the maps I guess I'll have to add chokepoints to the list

Considering Pair Up works the complete opposite as Rescue, suggesting it's not missing is disingenuous. They have polar opposite functions.

And all this talk about the other games missing features and mechanics too would perhaps be more persuasive if the scale of things missing were even close to being comparable.

Aexact

And bronze weapons suck. I'd rather have slim weapons than bronze ones since those at least have a slight critical boost while being weak. Bronze weapons are just a slog to get through E rank.

I think of Bronze weapons not as stuff you kill with but reliable weapons to deal "x" amount of damage so you can feed the kill to someone who needs it. In that sense, it's good that they don't crit so the person attacking with a Bronze can effectively weaken the enemy. Plus, you can always forge crit onto a Bronze, but you can't lower stats when you forge like PoR and RD (I mean, I don't think anyone forged to lower stats but it was an option).

While I enjoyed the shakeups to the genre Awakening brought, a lot of the new features (grinding, random loot, DLC, swimsuit and beach episodes really?) make me kinda apprehensive on where the series is going, given the success of Awakening. I mean, I'd love more Fire Emblem but some of this new stuff makes me frown.

A lot of the changes made the game easier to understand and more playable though. Hunting for that one treasure tile in desert maps sucks, weapon weight is kinda untransparent (though it did help balance some of the weapons), supports are now unlimited and give flat bonuses rather then hidden ones based on the character's elemental affinity (Earth affinity for dodge!), and all optional characters can be recruited with Chrom (except the nonsense requirements of those Spotpass extra guys). Instead, I'm now doing breeding spreadsheets and that's fine too.

I do miss Shoving, Canto, and Bonus EXP (which is rather extraneous when you have grinding) though.

Javier

Considering Pair Up works the complete opposite as Rescue, suggesting it's not missing is disingenuous. They have polar opposite functions.

And all this talk about the other games missing features and mechanics too would perhaps be more persuasive if the scale of things missing were even close to being comparable.
They're all perfectly comparable. Gaiden Maps and Arenas were staples until FE9 took them out. Support Conversations, one of the series biggest trademarks, were nixed off FE10 completely. Most of the stuff you list is made for a specific game in mind (Laguz, Capture), replaced with an equivalent (Pair Up/Rescue) or completely superfluous.(Biorhythm, Elevation).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Honestly I think it's a more than fair trade off. It means hit-and-hide tactics don't work which I admit I abused the hell out of on previous games. So Awakening required some different strategies when approaching boss units and strong enemies that would dish out heavy counter attack damage.

Edit: And hybrid classes tend to show preference, though it depends on the character and their stats when you go into it and what their growths look like. But for example, Dark Flier is certainly a magic class more than it is a melee one. I've had a lot of success with characters like Lissa in that class, but others like Olivia don't work very well, and it makes Cordelia go from great to merely decent due to wonky growths.

Gestahl

Hybrid classes still run into that problem where you're probably better off putting them in a specialized class that can better utilize their dominant stat(s). That's been going on forever though, like sticking a sword on Azel or Arthur like you're decorating a Christmas tree

Or god forbid giving a sage Knives

^^^^If we're going to be bringing up the maps I guess I'll have to add chokepoints to the list

There were chokepoints... at least in two chapters, the ones at the docks. I think in the lava one too. And chapter 2, on the bridge. And the boat chapter. And the big tree I think. And the assassination chapter, with Gaius and Panne.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I don't see any point to having Rescue and Pair Up in the same game. Pair Up would make Rescue redundant. Both combine two units into one, the difference being one makes the lead unit stronger and the other makes them weaker. And who initiates, of course. So I guess they're opposites in that sense.

Javier

FE13 actually pulls the Hybrid class thing great, though, mainly because you can pass down great stats to the children that boost their non-dominant stats. Noire as a Dark Knight can be reliable with both Swords and Tomes.

Gestahl

I was mostly referring to the core campaign, since you can basically do whatever the hell you want at endgame/postgame. The mounted hybrids having high move does help though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know, I somehow just getting iirked whenever anyone mentioning the marriage/children system of this game as "waifu." Other the fact that it condescending as hell, it also implies that IS put the system in this game just for the heck of it, and it also clearly mocks something that they, judging by the amount of conversations between characters alone and many other related materials such as hair color, brother/sister mechanic, etc etc, clearly focus a lot of work and attention to.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You do realize how many people
unfortunately
use that term non-ironically right

And you do also realize that there are those who dismiss the system entirely and label it "waifu" stuff just to disparage it, yeah?

Oh and Kincaido, that's not a shot against you man, don't worry <3 I only have problems with folks using that term to downplay the amount of effort IS put into the marriage/pairing system, is all.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
And you do also realize that there are those who dismiss the system entirely and label it "waifu" stuff just to disparage it, yeah?

Oh and Kincaido, that's not a shot against you man, don't worry <3 I only have problems with folks using that term to downplay the amount of effort IS put into the marriage/pairing system, is all.

I know haha, I just don't get many chances to use that pic =x

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am also a bit miffed by the fact that Chrom is forced to be married by chapter 11.

Because this will make my support-collecting plan more difficult............

Anyways, currently on chapter 12, training Olivia so that she can get Galeforce. So many TALK! icons on the support menu since I am collecting supports, damn!

CorvoSol

Will have game tomorrow. Must finish FE7 before then. On Chapter 30. Also need to get Florina and Hector and Kent and Fiora to waifu up.

Aexact

Inigo's map if he has Galeforce is crazy.

Man, if Inigo has Galeforce that means Olivia passed him good stats from the journey from Dancer to Pegasus Knight to Dark Flyer. Totally doable.

I've been pairing him with Chrom holding 1) Master Seal 2) Arms Scroll 3) Hand Axe (x2) and letting him walk down the corridor of ranged death, hopefully to level 5 Hero so he can self-sustain with Sol. Why the convoluted effort? Because apparently Inigo's statement about getting six kills actually nets you items if he gets six kills. I mean, it's not missable stuff (I think the best reward was a Fortify staff) but it's like saving villagers. The option is there so I like to try it (it's also totally not worth it aside from the gimmick satisfaction and few lines of extra dialogue with the village girl after).

Chrom being mortified that he raised a philanderer when Inigo is his son was a nice bonus for that playthrough too.

Aexact

I'm saying he can pretty much solo the map if he has Galeforce.
Yeah, sorry. I was agreeing.
Without the Master Seal, Arms Scroll, and Hand Axes though, I felt it's rough since Mercenary Inigo's 1-range swords are iffy with all the range on that map.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, if Inigo has Galeforce that means Olivia passed him good stats from the journey from Dancer to Pegasus Knight to Dark Flyer. Totally doable.

In more cases than not Olivia in my case often turn out to be a much, much more capable sword-wielding maestro than even the likes of Lon'qu.

It's hilarious to see her performing Lethality and Criticals while screaming "Don't look at me!"

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is that what she says when doing Lethality?
Maybe I should make her an Assassin...

"Stop looking at me!" or something to that effect while killing a massive general with Lethality. I laughed.

^that event happened so many times in my previous file. Her >>>>> Lon'qu is not even funny (well, it is funny actually)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I prefer her Japanese voice saying "Please don't look this way!"

Olivia is gdlk though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Olivia is awesome, but the best girls?

These two most definitely:

Fire_Emblem_Kakusei_600_1184264.jpg

Also, Sumia is the closest thing for canon for Chrom, but who is the closest being canon for the avatar?

Why are you guys still wondering who?

w0_C0o.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lucina is great.

Oh my God *falls to the floor*

Seriously, I am now in the middle of collecting supports so I need to forsake seeing that special chapter 21 scene with Lucina and Avatar married... but it is really bugging my mind....

Maybe I just keep a separate save for it....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A suggestion for maximum incest:

Marry Chrom with Olivia/Maribelle.

Marry Female MU with Inigo/Brady.

Then marry Male Morgan with Lucina.

Whooooooooo boy.

Just beat the game. Wow its really fantastic. I must confess I've never played a SRPG before this but this was very enjoyable.

I always found this guy to be so useless. Then again I never really gave him much of a chance.

EDIT - Wait you can have kids in this game? Holy shit!

Moonlight

Banned
I always found this guy to be so useless. Then again I never really gave him much of a chance.
The whole idea behind Donny is that he's pretty awful when he's just starting out, but with a bit of baby-sitting, he can turn into one of the best units in the game. He's got great growths and a skill that adds a 20% modifier to his growth rates in the level up RNG. You can be forgiven for not giving him much of a chance, though. It's pretty hard to put herself into a good enough position where you can safely soften up an enemy and then pick them off with Donny - I swear, I audibly sighed in relief when I was able to move him up to an Iron weapon.

And if you missed the kids, you missed out on a hell of a lot of side-missions! Better get that new game going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom