• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
With forging, it's not like he's really suffering that much from the lack of iron weapons. Forged Bronze Spear + pairing him up with Frederick makes leveling him up not much of a problem really.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I always found this guy to be so useless. Then again I never really gave him much of a chance.

EDIT - Wait you can have kids in this game? Holy shit!

First of all: he is one of the best units early and for the main game content. For min-maxing preparation for DLCs? Not so much. On Lunatic or Lunatic + assuming you don't abuse DLC just forget he even exist.

Second of all, what the hell man are you serious? Not knowing you can have kids after you finish the game? o_O

The whole idea behind Donny is that he's pretty awful when he's just starting out, but with a bit of baby-sitting, he can turn into one of the best units in the game. He's got great growths and a skill that adds a 20% modifier to his growth rates in the level up RNG. You can be forgiven for not giving him much of a chance, though. It's pretty hard to put herself into a good enough position where you can safely soften up an enemy and then pick them off with Donny - I swear, I audibly sighed in relief when I was able to move him up to an Iron weapon.
And then if you keep the training everyone to their max potential, Donny ends up on the bottom once more. He goes from the worst, to the best, to the worst again. It's kind of hilarious.

I just used him for his skills and purple hair, and then I super glued him to the bench.

The whole idea behind Donny is that he's pretty awful when he's just starting out, but with a bit of baby-sitting, he can turn into one of the best units in the game. He's got great growths and a skill that adds a 20% modifier to his growth rates in the level up RNG. You can be forgiven for not giving him much of a chance, though. It's pretty hard to put herself into a good enough position where you can safely soften up an enemy and then pick them off with Donny - I swear, I audibly sighed in relief when I was able to move him up to an Iron weapon.

Yeah I guess I should have worked on him.

And if you missed the kids, you missed out on a hell of a lot of side-missions! Better get that new game going.

God damn this game has so much meat.

Second of all, what the hell man are you serious? Not knowing you can have kids after you finish the game? o_O

I only know of Chrom's and Sumia's two kids.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of Donny, I remember seeing Kincaido once stated that he would never pair him with Cordelia since it makes him physically ill just imagining it.

I thought their supports are funny, and Chrom is not mentioned anywhere in it too, which is a bonus.

I only know of Chrom's and Sumia's two kids.

Huh. Well I guess you never actually participated in this thread or any other FE threads on various forums?

'Cause it would be hard to imagine that you can actually miss this info otherwise.

On the bright side, that means you have a lot beefier new game content to enjoy :)

Considering Pair Up works the complete opposite as Rescue, suggesting it's not missing is disingenuous. They have polar opposite functions.
Am I not mistaken but the transport function works the same. In old FEs I would rescue with mounted uint and use my move. I would then have another usit trade the unit and drop them off (or a dancer refresh the mounted unit who moves further to drop off).*

In awaeking would it work like this? Foot solider pairs up with mounted unit. Mounted unit uses move and splits.

*-I guess I never really made use of combining this with the foot unit getting an attack in and using the rescue as a aretreat.

but you can't lower stats when you forge like PoR and RD (I mean, I don't think anyone forged to lower stats but it was an option).
I forged to get lower critical in PoR on a thunder Tome. Wound up with 255 critical (glitch in Japanese version, also works for slim swords).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I only know of
Chrom's and Sumia's two kids

Spoilers!

Fire Emblem: Awakening Spoilers

I'm guessing that it depends on who you pair him with though.

I shouldn't have come here or been perusing faq sites. Too many spoilers.

ffdgh

Haha it's a tad hard to not know about the kids when the game hints towards it like when Lucina says
others traveled with her back to the past from the future.
and all those blacked out sprites in the support logs for Robin and Lucina :p.

Am I not mistaken but the transport function works the same. In old FEs I would rescue with mounted uint and use my move. I would then have another usit trade the unit and drop them off (or a dancer refresh the mounted unit who moves further to drop off).*

In awaeking would it work like this? Foot solider pairs up with mounted unit. Mounted unit uses move and splits.

*-I guess I never really made use of combining this with the foot unit getting an attack in and using the rescue as a aretreat.
Yeah, exactly.

Although, I suppose some players might be referring to Rescue as the inability to pull out a character who's just moved.

Like say you had a character attack a boss and they're left with fatal damage, but you've got no healer nearby. Pair Up can't really save you here, unless your partner guards for you ^^

Otherwise, Pair Up = better Rescue in my mind.

Donnel was the first of my characters to max everything out without using any stat modifier items. Baby him for a bit, and he'll take care of you in emergencies.

Olivia is awesome, but the best girls?

These two most definitely:

Fire_Emblem_Kakusei_600_1184264.jpg
Gah! Blue haired Morgan is an abomination not meant for this world.
Kincaido x Cordelia for life though.
Look at that thousand mile stare in the last panel. Mindbreak End.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So in total the DLC is going to cost as much as the game or more? ;_;

More, but I don't think there's much reason to buy it all unless you just really want more maps to play.

I'd say this is the "essential" DLC:

Golden Pack ($6) gives you a a couple decent grinding maps, infinite money, and free legendary weapons.
Champions of Yore 3 ($2.50) is a decent grinding map that also gets you All Stats +2 skills, which is especially useful for weaker characters. Probably the "least essential" of the bunch though.
Lost Bloodlines 2 + 3 ($5) give you the Dread Scroll (for the Dread Fighter class) and Paragon (2x exp growth) respectively.
Smash Brethren 2 ($3) gives you the Wedding Bouquet for the Bride class.
Rogues and Redeemers 3 ($3?) gives you the Limit Break skill.

So that basically comes out to $20, then you can buy the harder DLC in season 2 for challenges to use that stuff on.

Donnel was the first of my characters to max everything out without using any stat modifier items. Baby him for a bit, and he'll take care of you in emergencies.

He grew surprisingly slowly as a villager on my second playthrough, first time he was ready to promote to Hero at level 10 Merc, but I had to take him to almost 20 Merc before he was starting to hit his stat caps the second time.

7Th

In terms of the story, I really can't imagine anyone other than Female Avatar working well as mother for Lucina.
There is just no way the scene in which Lucina tries to kill Avatar has nearly as much pathos if Avatar isn't her mother.

Draxal

In terms of the story, I really can't imagine anyone other than Female Avatar working well as mother for Lucina.
There is just no way the scene in which Lucina tries to kill Avatar has nearly as much pathos if Avatar isn't her mother.

Late game spoilers ...
er... it also works if avatar is boinking his best friend's daughter

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was going to Waifu Nowi, but I just got Tharja.

Stalker moe. That body.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Where is my harem option?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I never married off any of the children. It certainly gives Lucina a shitty epilogue, but such is life. To me they just feel like CHILDREN is all. I am peers with their parents. They are my nieces and nephews, they are not meant to be sold into the flesh trade.

I liked the Avatar/Lucina dialog when they have no relationship for that scene, too. My guy was like "I get it, but sorry, I'm not just gonna let you kill me." Like he woulda fought back if he had to. I liked that Chrom had to talk her down, rather than her backing down by herself.

Aexact

Not to mention Chrom's
"you can't sacrifice yourself no matter what"
seems to make more sense if he's married to the female Avatar.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck why do I highlight spoilers when I haven't beat the game...

Yes, it's just wrong! The little farmer boy with my goddess *shudders*

*looks at Hard mode file*
*hides 3DS from Kincaido*

Anyways, I want to get my bunny son in my hard mode file as soon as possible so he can join his adorable bunny sister Morgan as a fluffy machine of death and destruction. Since I'm trying to not grind at all, when would you guys say would be the best moment to attempt recruiting him while fighting both armies?

BlackJace

Chapter 16 is a nightmare. Why can't the enemy hold all their Silver weapons?
I'm thinking about splitting everyone up into 3 sections.

Aexact

Chapter 16 is a nightmare. Why can't the enemy hold all their Silver weapons?
I'm thinking about splitting everyone up into 3 sections.
My problem was the flying reinforcements. I mean, flying reinforcements are always crazy but on the other maps, at least you had obstacles or forts for hiding. Chapter 16 is just out in the open.

CorvoSol

So my package is out for delivery, which means hopefully, sometime in the next few hours I should finally have this game.

Meanwhile, I probably should finish my homework.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, cool. So I'll look forward to training more than just my streetpass 10.

There's a playthrough of that DLC on youtube, between all four videos it's around an hour and a half, and that's with all the map segments sped up and battle animations at normal speed.

I had kind of wondered the same thing, but it makes sense you would need a lot of units since you'll need everyone that's going to see combat paired up, and you need 1-2 rally units on top of that. And some characters are going to have to use staves, whether you've got dedicated healers or some multipurpose characters like Sages or Falconknights.

Here's Part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMCFwEVgLuI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom