• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aexact

Thanks guys.

So out of curiosity what's the best Fire Emblem game?

I'm curious to see how this game ranks in the series.
As an introduction to the series, Awakening was most accessible among the Fire Emblems I've played. It has a lower amount of hidden mechanics and treasure, they tutorial everything (even how archers attack at 2-range), and it has a casual mode (no permadeath).

If that's what you're asking. Best is a difficult adjective to quantify.

McNum

Hmm, I think the EU version will have a different translation for the English part.

Just to check, in the US version, the mode where defeated units return for the next map is called "Casual", right? In the EU demo it's called "Newcomer". I wonder what else is changed. If they changed any names or something. What are the US names for the people appearing in the prologue and chapter 1? The archer's name doesn't ring a bell to me... Vi-someting.

Also a quick 3D question. I usually can't see 3D, but this last week, something has changed... I might be able to see something now. But if I'm seeing it right, the battle map has the units look like they're in a pop-up book, right? Flat vertical planes standing up from the ground level? First person battling looks pretty neat, too.

Chrom

Hmm, I think the EU version will have a different translation for the English part.

Just to check, in the US version, the mode where defeated units return for the next map is called "Casual", right? In the EU demo it's called "Newcomer". I wonder what else is changed. If they changed any names or something. What are the US names for the people appearing in the prologue and chapter 1? The archer's name doesn't ring a bell to me... Vi-someting.

Also a quick 3D question. I usually can't see 3D, but this last week, something has changed... I might be able to see something now. But if I'm seeing it right, the battle map has the units look like they're in a pop-up book, right? Flat vertical planes standing up from the ground level? First person battling looks pretty neat, too.

Casual = Newcomer, yeah.

Chrom
Robin (Avatar)
Lissa
Frederick
Sully
Virion

That's how the 3D is, yeah.

It'll probably be typical NOE/Nintendo UK changes of a few character names maybe (Renault > Renaud is one past example, I guess Shiida rather than Caeda*), (possible) weapon names and some terms (like newcomer instead of casual...**). Maybe even British spellings too. Hopefully the rest of the script was kept intact. Hotel Dusk got a few adjustments as some of the slang was a bit too American.

Other European languages have always had some character names changed (Hawkeye > Tronk is my favorite)...actually here is the German scripting differences in the demo. Wow at Lissa...

*-I think the American version is closer to how you pronounce it.
**-I prefer this one, as casual has a horrid stigma attached to it and kind of ingrains elitism a bit. Though newcomer kind of has some stigma too of like "you're playing on Lunatic; you're no newcomer".

ohlawd

7 is the best FE I've played but 13 (this one) is my favorite.

inb4someoneasksmearentbestandfavoritethesame?

inb4icantreadwithnospaces

TWILT

Banned
Thanks guys.

So out of curiosity what's the best Fire Emblem game?

I'm curious to see how this game ranks in the series.

You're obviously going to get different opinions depending on who you ask, but personally, Awakening's my favorite with Path of Radiance.

ohlawd

Am I the only one who doesn't like playing with combat animations on?

I started to turn them off after my 1st run.

For the most part, they're all the same, they're slow and are pretty uneventful (the nicer way of saying they're boring). I do miss hearing the random crap they say though. Maybe I should just customize it so I can hear all the kids and Olivia's in-battle quotes.

"Stop staring!"
lawddddddd my heart be thumpin' and humpin'.

Also are there any benefits to pairing up? As in when you have one unit "absorb" another? (Versus them just simply being placed side by side).

Also are there any benefits to pairing up? As in when you have one unit "absorb" another? (Versus them just simply being placed side by side).
Stat bonuses based on class/stats/support rank. It can be a lifesaver if your units aren't already bowling over the enemy, and lets you keep your squishies out of harm's way without wasting them.

McNum

How do you Pair Up, anyway? Move one unit on top of another? I tried moving Lissa into Robin in the demo, but it defaulted to using a staff on him. Which is a pretty nice feature, actually. Same as moving a unit into an enemy to skip directly to the combat preview.

How do you Pair Up, anyway? Move one unit on top of another? I tried moving Lissa into Robin in the demo, but it defaulted to using a staff on him. Which is a pretty nice feature, actually. Same as moving a unit into an enemy to skip directly to the combat preview.

Normally you can move them ontop of each other, but if you can heal them, it defaults to that instead.

Move them to a square next to them and you can choose Pair Up.

McNum

Normally you can move them ontop of each other, but if you can heal them, it defaults to that instead.

Ah, same as Rescuing, then? Or is there some opposite action thing going on? With Rescue you have the rescuer pick up the unit and move it into its own square. Does Pair Up move you into another unit's square or move that unit into yours?

Stat bonuses based on class/stats/support rank. It can be a lifesaver if your units aren't already bowling over the enemy, and lets you keep your squishies out of harm's way without wasting them.

Yeah, soon the question becomes not "Why pair up?" but "Why not pair up?"

How do you Pair Up, anyway? Move one unit on top of another?

Yeah that's the quick way, although you could just select it from the menu when two units stand right next to each other too. In the full game, it's not available until chapter 3 in normal mode iirc but you can use it from the beginning in all other modes and the demo iirc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I am under the impression that you need to have a vacant square next to the unit you want to be paired up. If you don't (for example if the unit is sandwiched between other units), then you can't pair with that unit (you need to remove all the other units surrounding it first.)

Ah, same as Rescuing, then? Or is there some opposite action thing going on? With Rescue you have the rescuer pick up the unit and move it into its own square. Does Pair Up move you into another unit's square or move that unit into yours?

The unit initiating the paired up moved towards the other one, although it doesn't matter anyway since you can freely switch anytime.

Yeah that's the quick way, although you could just select it from the menu when two units stand right next to each other too. In the full game, it's not available until chapter 3 in normal mode iirc but you can use it from the beginning in all other modes and the demo iirc.

The *tutorial* appears on chapter 3 but you can do it right at the very beginning if you want.

I am under the impression that you need to have a vacant square next to the unit you want to be paired up. If you don't (for example if the unit is sandwiched between other units), then you can't pair with that unit (you need to remove all the other units surrounding it first.)

Just tried it and you are correct. You do need to have a free space next to the unit and probably the movement space needed to move to that open space.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No, I just made a new file to try that, and can confirm that you can't do it in the "Premonition" chapter in normal, while I'm pretty sure that you can do it while in hard mode.

Ah! I just tried it. You are correct. In normal you can't pair up on the very first proper battle map (Verge of History). In hard you can do it.

So, do mastery skills not stack? I have a Hero with Sol and Luna, and I was hoping to get an Aether thing going, but she just uses Sol. One time she used Luna. I tried reordering the skills to see if that changes anything, but nope, still Sol. I'd see if anything happens when she doubles, but she's too slow to double anything and kills most things in one hit anyway.

My theory is that Sol takes higher priority than Luna, so if the RNG fails to roll Sol, it'll roll again to try for Luna. Both skills are activated by Skill%.

EDIT hey, Serenes Forest says I'm right! How 'bout that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, do mastery skills not stack? I have a Hero with Sol and Luna, and I was hoping to get an Aether thing going, but she just uses Sol. One time she used Luna. I tried reordering the skills to see if that changes anything, but nope, still Sol. I'd see if anything happens when she doubles, but she's too slow to double anything and kills most things in one hit anyway.

My theory is that Sol takes higher priority than Luna, so if the RNG fails to roll Sol, it'll roll again to try for Luna. Both skills are activated by Skill%.

EDIT hey, Serenes Forest says I'm right! How 'bout that.

Luna is skill/2 while Sol is skill only, correct...?

Javier

Happy Birthday to the best character in the game!

65lQVbvl.jpg

CorvoSol

I just beat FE7 and I feel rightly GIPPED. All my hard work to get Eliwood and Lyn to A rank and then . . . nothing? Where was my wedding? I don't understand, the only other person Eliwood had befriended was HECTOR, and Lyn had C support with Hector and Florina, and Florina had A support with Hector, so why did Lyn not wind up with, well, anyone?

What did I do wrong?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just beat FE7 and I feel rightly GIPPED. All my hard work to get Eliwood and Lyn to A rank and then . . . nothing? Where was my wedding? I don't understand, the only other person Eliwood had befriended was HECTOR, and Lyn had C support with Hector and Florina, and Florina had A support with Hector, so why did Lyn not wind up with, well, anyone?

What did I do wrong?

That game shipped Eliwood x Ninian + Hector x Lyn so bad, which was unfortunate for me since I like Eliwood, indifferent about Ninian, love Lyn, and hated Hector.

Seriously, one of the biggest blocks for me for replaying Fire Emblem 7 was the fact that I need to see that guy again when playing it, gah. Which is a shame, since I really like it as a game.

CorvoSol

That game shipped Eliwood x Ninian + Hector x Lyn so bad, which was unfortunate for me since I like Eliwood, indifferent about Ninian, love Lyn, and hated Hector.

Seriously, one of the biggest blocks for me for replaying Fire Emblem 7 was the fact that I need to see that guy again when playing it, gah. Which is a shame, since I really like it as a game.

I liked Hector, but I despised Ninian, which is part of what baffles me here. The only person who had affinity with Ninian was HAWKEYE, and Lyn and Eliwood are A rank, it even says it in my game file, so why didn't I get the wedding ending? I didn't even get the default ending, the credits just skip right over Lyn altogether. I'm super confused.

Oh well, I'll youtube it and believe I got the right ending because dammit I worked hard for that. Then I'll just stick her with him in Awakening and go "Ninian who?"

Actually, I'd have liked Ninian if 1)she'd done more than mope all game (her brother Nils was great because he didn't cry NONSTOP) and 2)the game didn't force her on Eliwood like that.

Javier

What did I do wrong?
Eliwood and Lyn definitely get married if they had an A Support together. It says so in the Character endings whether you play Eliwood mode or Hector mode. However, if you're playing Hector mode, you don't see their special CG (Instead you should have seen Hector & Florina's CG).

CorvoSol

Well that's a new opinion to me.

Maybe Hector is like a male Ninian for some people. Forced on Lyn when they'd rather she were with Eliwood of guuuuh, ass-faced Rath.

Or Kent. She had good chemistry with Kent. Actually, I wanted to pair Hector with Ninian to spite the game, but it didn't work out, so my endgame couples worked out this way: Eliwood x Lyndis, Hector x Florina (because big and scary Hector and tiny and timid Florina is hilarious), Matthew x Serra (which is even funnier), Heath x Priscilla, and Kent x Fiora (which was as scandalous as women revealing their ankles could be.)

SO I got Awakening at last, but I haven't played much because I wanted to finish Blazing Sword, first. Gave my guy red hair and the MAN voice because, well, it's hilarious coming from a guy of his stature.

And is it just me or does Male Avatar have a SERIOUS thing for Chrom? I mean, between the long looks deep into Chrom's eyes and the witty banter, these two are like, in each other's pants already.

Eliwood and Lyn definitely get married if they had an A Support together. It says so in the Character endings whether you play Eliwood mode or Hector mode. However, if you're playing Hector mode, you don't see their special CG (Instead you should have seen Hector & Florina's CG).

Hence my confusion, since they DO have an A support with each other and no one else, and it's Eliwood mode. I'm altogether lost on this.

Just got Radiant Dawn from Gamefly. Any tips on playing through this?

Also it looks great on the Wii U.
Don't get hung up on the cruddy support system, Earth is best element, and use on-map animations instead of the cutaways.

Also, Micaiah with a Thani tome and a little hand-holding early on becomes a beast. Don't let her squishy mageness scare you into gimping her by hiding her in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom