• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

I had asked a similar question on the previous page but let me simplify it here:

When advancing characters, does it ever make sense to max out the levels in a class or is it better, as a rule, to simply use a seal once all desired skills have been learned?

What say you Fire Emblem GAF, do you use seals at level 10/15 or at level 20?

Note: I am referring to the 20 level classes and not the special 30 level classes.

CorvoSol

Okay, so if I marry Sumia, Sully, and Maribelle off prior to Chapter 11, then Chrom can have Olivia. I mean, it isn't that I don't like Sumia, but I suddenly feel like having Chrom marry a girl he just met is more entertaining than having him go for Sumia, who has been fawning over him all this time.

In a second playthrough, though, I'm pairing Avatar with Tiki, because then the pairing works out even, doesn't it? Even if not, Manakete is an awesome class and I want that for Morgan.

Anteo

I had asked a similar question on the previous page but let me simplify it here:

When advancing characters, does it ever make sense to max out the levels in a class or is it better, as a rule, to simply use a seal once all desired skills have been learned?

What say you Fire Emblem GAF, do you use seals at level 10/15 or at level 20?

Note: I am referring to the 20 level classes and not the special 30 level classes.

When you use a master seal the game will set the internal level of your unit to level 21 iirc, it doesnt matter if the unit was level 10 or 20, so it will slow down his/her growth. However you can upgrade at level 10 to get 2nd skills a lot earlier in the game. So it depends on what you want to achieve.

Okay, so if I marry Sumia, Sully, and Maribelle off prior to Chapter 11, then Chrom can have Olivia. I mean, it isn't that I don't like Sumia, but I suddenly feel like having Chrom marry a girl he just met is more entertaining than having him go for Sumia, who has been fawning over him all this time.

In a second playthrough, though, I'm pairing Avatar with Tiki, because then the pairing works out even, doesn't it? Even if not, Manakete is an awesome class and I want that for Morgan.

You still need Olivia to stick together with Chrom and get to Rank C or he will marry a generic villager girl.

CorvoSol

When you use a master seal the game will set the internal level of your unit to level 21 iirc, it doesnt matter if the unit was level 10 or 20, so it will slow down his/her growth. However you can upgrade at level 10 to get 2nd skills a lot earlier in the game. So it depends on what you want to achieve.

You still need Olivia to stick together with Chrom and get to Rank C or he will marry a generic villager girl.

Bwhaha, really? Well fine. She'll be glued to him the whole mission, and they'll do all the heavy lifting. Does she begin Ch. 11 near him, at least?

Tom_Cody

Ok.

Haha, really? Are there any images of this? I feel terrible for anyone this happened to.

Created a female avatar yesterday because A.) I'm remarrying Tharja again in my Lunatic run and B.) So that I can have a file to be with
Priam
. Also to mess around a little with Lucy in our supports.

Should be fun.

Edit: Oh! Looks like I'm finally a member. Hooray for me and all that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

When people were talking about this before, I thought they were talking about a recruitable unit like Donny.

CorvoSol

Speaking of Donny, when does he get good? I mean, I heard he becomes crazy broken or something after some point, and right now, while he's sorta keeping up, he's not the mass murderer like Lon'qu.

Donny is still the best, though.

zroid

Banned
Speaking of Donny, when does he get good? I mean, I heard he becomes crazy broken or something after some point, and right now, while he's sorta keeping up, he's not the mass murderer like Lon'qu.

I think he begins showing his colours around level 10, and will only get stronger from there. Once you reclass him, he pretty much becomes instantly amazing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of things this game references? Or at least the localized version, since they probably took some liberties with some of these references. Because they seem to have covered everything, from a bunch of movies to Reggie to PETA to political jokes to other games like FFXIII.

If nothing else, you can tell they had a lot of fun working on it.

CorvoSol

Married Donny to Maribelle. Actually a really sweet support conversation, showing that Maribelle isn't the stiff prude she kinda seemed to be when I first started the game. Planning to wed Sully to Virion. Anybody else think Virion kinda looks like a medieval Miles Edgeworth?
And I'm foisting Sumia on Frederick.

Tom_Cody

Married Donny to Maribelle. Actually a really sweet support conversation, showing that Maribelle isn't the stiff prude she kinda seemed to be when I first started the game. Planning to wed Sully to Virion. Anybody else think Virion kinda looks like a medieval Miles Edgeworth?
And I'm foisting Sumia on Frederick.
Don't be too eager to marry your character off so quickly (Chrom aside). You will encounter more characters as the game goes on.

I regret a number of the marriages that I set up early on. As you continue to play you will get a better sense for all of the character's personalities and you will also get a better sense of what skills you want to set up for inheritance. And, to reiterate, you probably haven't even encountered all of the normal characters yet.

This game has a lot of end-game/post-game content. You shouldn't feel like the game is going to pass you by if you don't start marrying off your characters. That Chrom gets married so early on can be kind misleading. On my next play through I probably won't start setting up marriages until chapter 20 or so.

Tom_Cody

Donnel has the unique skill Aptitude which "Adds 20% to all growth rates during Level Ups". Every time you level up your stat increases are random (well, random against character specific percentages) so Donnel's Aptitude skill results in him getting beastly gains over time as he levels up. Eventually all of your characters will start to reach their stat caps, but he will have a faster path than anyone else in getting there. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not an expert).

His strength really creeps up on you. He will go from being a liability to being a beast in a snap.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You really want to second seal Donnel ASAP too. Mercenary has better growth rates and MUCH better stat modifiers than villager - you'll gain like 4 str, 6 spd, 7 skl, etc just from that class change.

I wouldn't really blame someone for not bothering with the Underdog skill and class changing at level 10, Underdog isn't really great, though with Donnel's growths you'll probably find that he'll be underleveled and still as strong or stronger than your other units, meaning he can make use of it reasonably well. He doesn't really need it though.

Trojita

I still don't get whether or not to wait for characters to be at max level in their class before using a master seal or second seal. Is it always better to level to 20 first? Is there a downside?

Speaking of Donnel, I totally skipped over recruiting him when I started my second playthrough, and I finally came back to him on my finished-for-months save file. Gave him a Paragon, All Stats+2 and fully forged Bronze Lance, paired him with my most powerful unit, then super rallied him.

Needless to say, he obliterated the competition.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get whether or not to wait for characters to be at max level in their class before using a master seal or second seal. Is it always better to level to 20 first? Is there a downside?

When you promote a unit I'd say it's worth it to get them to level 20 first, or reclass them at some point to another base class and level them up before promoting. Otherwise you're going to be disadvantaged when it comes to stats due to the slower experience gain (earlier you promote, the more your exp gain will be hurt).

There's not much point in getting promoted units to 20 before reclassing to other promoted classes though. Get them to 10 so you don't have to go back to a base class (unless you want to) or 15 if you want that skill.

CorvoSol

Don't be too eager to marry your character off so quickly (Chrom aside). You will encounter more characters as the game goes on.

I regret a number of the marriages that I set up early on. As you continue to play you will get a better sense for all of the character's personalities and you will also get a better sense of what skills you want to set up for inheritance. And, to reiterate, you probably haven't even encountered all of the normal characters yet.

This game has a lot of end-game/post-game content. You shouldn't feel like the game is going to pass you by if you don't start marrying off your characters. That Chrom gets married so early on can be kind misleading. On my next play through I probably won't start setting up marriages until chapter 20 or so.

I'm only marrying off the potential brides to Chrom so that there's no threat to Olivia. I'm even putting off wedding Avatar for awhile. I just want the competition out of the way on this one. If I regret this, there are always subsequent playthroughs.

You really want to second seal Donnel ASAP too. Mercenary has better growth rates and MUCH better stat modifiers than villager - you'll gain like 4 str, 6 spd, 7 skl, etc just from that class change.

I wouldn't really blame someone for not bothering with the Underdog skill and class changing at level 10, Underdog isn't really great, though with Donnel's growths you'll probably find that he'll be underleveled and still as strong or stronger than your other units, meaning he can make use of it reasonably well. He doesn't really need it though.

Wait, so I shouldn't level Donny up to 20 before changing his class?

Draxal

I'm only marrying off the potential brides to Chrom so that there's no threat to Olivia. I'm even putting off wedding Avatar for awhile. I just want the competition out of the way on this one. If I regret this, there are always subsequent playthroughs.

Wait, so I shouldn't level Donny up to 20 before changing his class?

15 if you want underdog. Donnel is the exception.

Chrom

Is there a list of things this game references? Or at least the localized version, since they probably took some liberties with some of these references. Because they seem to have covered everything, from a bunch of movies to Reggie to PETA to political jokes to other games like FFXIII.

If nothing else, you can tell they had a lot of fun working on it.

I don't know of a place that compiles all of these references, but somebody ought to get down to doing so.

My favorite one ought to be the one with Reggie.

Performed Kincaido's ultimate sin

married Cordelia to Donny on 2nd playthrough :p

lol, she settled. He "passed the test". I like pairing her with Libra - their melancholy complements one another.

Random thought: How many playthroughs would it take to see all the support conversations?

You can view the vast majority in 1 playthrough...it's just the S-ranks you have to worry about. Even then, you could save, reach S-rank with someone, reload, rinse and repeat as often as desired. You can get all the supports in a single playthrough as far as I can tell.

You can view the vast majority in 1 playthrough...it's just the S-ranks you have to worry about. Even then, you could save, reach S-rank with someone, reload, rinse and repeat as often as desired. You can get all the supports in a single playthrough as far as I can tell.

You need at least two at the very minimum, due to there being female and male avatars and in extent, female and male Morgans.

And, don't forget all the potential parent to children supports and the potential sibling ones as well!

Even more is to remember about Chrom's early marriage which throws the whole timing for children into a loop.

CorvoSol

Why can't Donny be with Cordelia? Donny is a fine, pot-wearing guy, and he knows how to treat the ladies and he loves his mother.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
That little farmer boy with the stupid scar, curly hair, accent and pot does not deserve such a refined beauty!

CSX

Why can't Donny be with Cordelia? Donny is a fine, pot-wearing guy, and he knows how to treat the ladies and he loves his mother.

Something to do with Cordelia being like royalty (in Kincaido's eyes) and lowly village scum like Donny shouldnt be together

EDIT : beaten by the one himself lol

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
To all people paring them up

STnO3a5.gif

I just want to post this. You are all dastards though.

Draxal

Well Donny is probably the most horrific father to Severa for game play reasons, as you're passing down duplicate classes/and a bad stat cap and wasting Donnel's main advantage (he can pass down pegasus knight to his daughter).

CorvoSol

That little farmer boy with the stupid scar, curly hair, accent and pot does not deserve such a refined beauty!

I paired Donny with Maribelle, and she's all fancy and stuff. Cordelia is a Pegasus knight. She spends all her time on horseback and waiting for the Javelin Fairy. Probably smells like horse and has callus'd hands.

ohlawd

I paired Donny with Maribelle, and she's all fancy and stuff. Cordelia is a Pegasus knight. She spends all her time on horseback and waiting for the Javelin Fairy. Probably smells like horse and has callus'd hands.

Maribelle rides a horse too, you know.

neoemonk

How long do people save their good weapons? I'm on chapter 14 now, and I have a stockpile of C rank and above weapons. I realized that I'm probably saving them for no good reason at all. No one carries anything above steel on my team, even with A ranks on the characters.

I'm guessing eventually I can buy silver weapons, but right now that's not possible. Still, I have a few of each in my convoy, and some of the crit weapons, etc.

Soulhouf

Donny is a farmboy. He doesn't mind.

Now that you say it, they are perfect together lol

On a side note, I think I already spent too much money on this game.

IMG_0983.jpg

The only thing missing is the 3DS LE but I will stop here because I also have the digital version of the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How long do people save their good weapons? I'm on chapter 14 now, and I have a stockpile of C rank and above weapons. I realized that I'm probably saving them for no good reason at all. No one carries anything above steel on my team, even with A ranks on the characters.

I'm guessing eventually I can buy silver weapons, but right now that's not possible. Still, I have a few of each in my convoy, and some of the crit weapons, etc.

You can buy anything that's not a legendary/semi-legendary weapon at some point. Silver weapons should be available to buy soon, and I don't know about normal mode but silver is going to be standard enemy equipment soon if you're playing on hard.

Trojita

lol I leveled up once and I got no stats at all. I didn't hear a single ding after the level up thing. It was on my avatar too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom