• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

sorry if this has been asked a lot. how do the random battle/challenges work? i noticed that more pop up each day when i boot the game, even if i had beaten all the available ones the previous day. does it place random ones on the map each day, or is there some sort of other random pattern to it?

sorry if this has been asked a lot. how do the random battle/challenges work? i noticed that more pop up each day when i boot the game, even if i had beaten all the available ones the previous day. does it place random ones on the map each day, or is there some sort of other random pattern to it?

I'm not completely clear on the specifics, but I believe there's a random chance of the world map getting updated (and random battles being added) each time you beat a battle or enough real-time passes.

btkadams

I'm not completely clear on the specifics, but I believe there's a random chance of the world map getting updated (and random battles being added) each time you beat a battle or enough real-time passes.

so i couldn't farm for more battles (for exp) by rebooting the game? damn..haha.

so i couldn't farm for more battles (for exp) by rebooting the game? damn..haha.

A few stores have an item called the Reeking Box. They allow you to summon random encounters to the map.

Also holy jegus the Mjolnir tome is awesome. I've never had it as a drop in Infinite Regalia before.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Reeking boxes are a pretty terrible value outside Normal difficulty (not that it matters if you abuse Golden Gaffe), you're much better off with spotpass teams on Hard. And the DLC is basically the only option for grinding on Lunatic since spotpass teams and reeking boxes don't work.

CorvoSol

So I was looking into getting a copy of Shadow Dragon, and I saw that it has online multiplayer. It even supports voice chat! Why did that get taken out for Awakening? I want to play against friends so badly.

Shadow Dragon also has a terrible art style. I know that's not relevant, but man I'm playing it right now and it's uuuuuuugly.

I also get that it's a remake of an NES game, but is that the only reason half my army looks like identical triplets?

GeekyDad

Shadow Dragon also has a terrible art style. I know that's not relevant, but man I'm playing it right now and it's uuuuuuugly.

I also get that it's a remake of an NES game, but is that the only reason half my army looks like identical triplets?

I think it's a pretty dang good-looking game for what it is. It's definitely not the cartoony look of the GBA games, but it's pretty cool. I personally enjoyed the change up of animations as well. They're more realistic than over-the-top.

In any case, to reply to the previous poster's comments, I definitely think SD is worth checking out. It can be tedious and frustrating, but it is also rewarding in a way Awakening isn't. Unless you're really bored and take the time to abuse arenas, it's a challenging FE.

Busaiku

Someone needs to tell me why Walhart is so popular in the US.

Are his support conversations with Robin really good?
Are a lot of Fire Emblem fans also fans of Sengoku Basara?
Do people over here really just want to save money and live better?

Tom_Cody

Context: I am running Lucina through Pegasus Knight in order to move on to Dark Flier in order to get Galeforce. She just hit level 10 and earned Relief and most of her stats are already maxed out for that class.

Question: What factors lead to slowed experience growth? Total level, meaning the aggregate of all levels accumulated across all class identities? Number of second/master seal uses? Some combination of the two?

At this point I am most interested in getting Galeforce so I kind of want to move ahead to Dark Flier. That said, I don't want to hastily use a seal if accumulated seal use will result in reduced experience growth. Conversely, I especially don't want to spend extra time leveling in this class if the resulting level accumulation will lead to slowed experience growth with little actual stat benefit.

Whew, that was a mouthful. I hope that made sense.

CorvoSol

I think it's a pretty dang good-looking game for what it is. It's definitely not the cartoony look of the GBA games, but it's pretty cool. I personally enjoyed the change up of animations as well. They're more realistic than over-the-top.

In any case, to reply to the previous poster's comments, I definitely think SD is worth checking out. It can be tedious and frustrating, but it is also rewarding in a way Awakening isn't. Unless you're really bored and take the time to abuse arenas, it's a challenging FE.

I meant mostly character art, in which everyone looks like a wrinkly, uncanny valley monster. The awkward semi-3d sprites don't bug me that much, and the maps look fine. But character art has some seriously messed up lookin' faces.

I meant mostly character art, in which everyone looks like a wrinkly, uncanny valley monster. The awkward semi-3d sprites don't bug me that much, and the maps look fine. But character art has some seriously messed up lookin' faces.

I refuse to use Shadow Dragon Marth, despite his great skills. Tiki and Caeda are the only decent ones in the bunch, IMO.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Context: I am running Lucina through Pegasus Knight in order to move on to Dark Flier in order to get Galeforce. She just hit level 10 and earned Relief and most of her stats are already maxed out for that class.

Question: What factors lead to slowed experience growth? Total level, meaning the aggregate of all levels accumulated across all class identities? Number of second/master seal uses? Some combination of the two?

At this point I am most interested in getting Galeforce so I kind of want to move ahead to Dark Flier. That said, I don't want to hastily use a seal if accumulated seal use will result in reduced experience growth. Conversely, I especially don't want to spend extra time leveling in this class if the resulting level accumulation will lead to slowed experience growth with little actual stat benefit.

Whew, that was a mouthful. I hope that made sense.

I was going to type it out myself, but it's easier to just link this.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/calculation.html#internal

As a direct answer to your thoughts, if you're going after skills you're going to cap the cumulative level anyway, so just go for it and use Paragon if possible to help negate the slow experience growth. Because by the time you've reclassed between a couple of promoted classes you're most likely going to hit the cap unless you're on Lunatic mode.

Edit: Hmm, if you fight Tiki with Tiki is there a conversation? Because that seems like it could be pretty funny.

Tom_Cody

I was going to type it out myself, but it's easier to just link this.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/calculation.html#internal

As a direct answer to your thoughts, if you're going after skills you're going to cap the cumulative level anyway, so just go for it and use Paragon if possible to help negate the slow experience growth. Because by the time you've reclassed between a couple of promoted classes you're most likely going to hit the cap unless you're on Lunatic mode.

Edit: Hmm, if you fight Tiki with Tiki is there a conversation? Because that seems like it could be pretty funny.
God, that's more complicated than I expected. Anyway, thanks.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
<3 Celica's new art.

Also, love how Chrom mentions that his allies seem villainous lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
dlc1122_ss2.jpg

What in the name of all things holy and unholy is THAT?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
dlc1122_ss2.jpg

What in the name of all things holy and unholy is THAT?

Counter, Dragonskin, Aegis+, Hawkeye, and Luna+

All the "boss units" from that DLC are pretty crazy. I'm looking forward to it.

Why does he have no movement though? I thought the "boss" units moved, maybe they don't on the easier version?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^Final DLC, my body is ready.

Counter, Dragonskin, Aegis+, Hawkeye, and Luna+

All the "boss units" from that DLC are pretty crazy. I'm looking forward to it.

Why does he have no movement though? I thought the "boss" units moved, maybe they don't on the easier version?

Alright then, what sort of tactics and characters you guys or anyone else here envision that can take down this dude? I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Hey, I'm brand new to Fire Emblem. I'll probably have a few questions though I tried to search a little. I'm around chapter 7 and I'm having alot of fun so far on Normal/Classic. I let Stahl die in one battle, cause I'm not planning on resetting if I lose because I play stupidly, which I did.

So, I'm wondering about the Bonus Box Teams.... should I add them and fight them as I reach the specific exp levels they are listed at? Or how should they be folded into gameplay otherwise? Will I overlevel them?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright then, what sort of tactics and characters you guys or anyone else here envision that can take down this dude? I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Maxed stat characters w/ limit break, pair ups and A supports all around, and rally bots will cover the stats part, you can get your stats up to the 70s and even 80s. Higher if you really stack boosts, according to this page you can almost double many base stat caps even without limit break. Meaning you could probably beat that without limit break if you are totally insane.

Beyond that, good skill setups and awesome forged weapons.

Hey, I'm brand new to Fire Emblem. I'll probably have a few questions though I tried to search a little. I'm around chapter 7 and I'm having alot of fun so far on Normal/Classic. I let Stahl die in one battle, cause I'm not planning on resetting if I lose because I play stupidly, which I did.

So, I'm wondering about the Bonus Box Teams.... should I add them and fight them as I reach the specific exp levels they are listed at? Or how should they be folded into gameplay otherwise? Will I overlevel them?

They aren't integral to the game, you could completely ignore them if you want to. On normal I'd imagine you could get overleveled fairly easily, even on hard mode a little grinding will overlevel you.

ohlawd

Sages/Sorcerers paired up with Dark Fliers. All units have max Celica's Gale tomes. Limit Break on errthing. A supports on all pairs. Rally Bots. Use temporary boosts like those Tonics before starting.

TWILT

Banned

Outside from maxing out everything with limit break, abusing the best skills and using pair up to it's fullest?

Picking a god and praying.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Finally dawned on me that looking at a character's rating isn't the best way to gauge their strength. All it does is just add up all their stats, regardless of where their strengths are. =/

Westlo

Walked into jbhifi and saw this up for preorder, still can't believe this game isn't out in Australia yet and not until the 20th....

feels bad man.

Busaiku

I still can't believe Americans complaining about PAL getting better treatment from Nintendo with 3DS.
By the time it hits there, we'll have gotten all the 1st part of DLC or something.

I still can't believe Americans complaining about PAL getting better treatment from Nintendo with 3DS.
By the time it hits there, we'll have gotten all the 1st part of DLC or something.

We'll also have nearly every single SpotPass team (not including the Others category), 4/5 of the SpotPass maps, all of the Double Duel teams, and 5/12 of the Legendary Items (Not that you couldn't get them through Infinite Regalia anyway)

Why is it a generic character who has such power?

It would be so much cooler if they brought the final bosses from previous FE (or something like the 12 Holy Knights from FE4), but it would be such a spoiler I guess...

You mean like the Deadlords or the Crusaders? Cause the Deadlords already have their own DLC.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm pretty damn disappointed that even the paid DLC units don't have a unique appearance.

Maybe we'll get unique looking units and perhaps even different portraits for characters in the next game.

Mr. Fix

I'm pretty damn disappointed that even the paid DLC units don't have a unique appearance.

Maybe we'll get unique looking units and perhaps even different portraits for characters in the next game.

Probably. The flashback chapters were decided upon really late too. That'd be awesome though, doing runs with other Lords available.

Soulhouf

You mean like the Deadlords or the Crusaders? Cause the Deadlords already have their own DLC.

Yes. The Deadlords were already disappointing in the other DLC.
The 12 Crusaders for example could be perfect for the ultimate one.
Seeing generic characters who are stronger than everybody else does not make sens to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I imagine it is weird seeing someone like Sumia in armor, when she has been class changed to a Sage.

CorvoSol

Hey, so, if I already have Chrom and Sumia up to A rank, is it still possible to get him to S rank Olivia and marry her instead? Getting cold feet on this whole Sumia thing. I wish Chrom had a wider range of possible pairings.

Also, got Cordelia. Yessss.

Hey, so, if I already have Chrom and Sumia up to A rank, is it still possible to get him to S rank Olivia and marry her instead? Getting cold feet on this whole Sumia thing. I wish Chrom had a wider range of possible pairings.

Yes, but you need to be very careful.

Sumia must be dead or paired with another man ASAP or Olivia won't stand a chance.

Seeing generic characters who are stronger than everybody else does not make sens to me.
I think you're supposed to use your imagination and pretend they're special people.

Even the Deadlords are hinted to be "special people".

Javier

You have to marry Sumia to someone else before Chapter
in order for her not to auto-marry Chrom. In fact, if Sully and Maribelle (and Female Avatar if she's there) have a certain level of Support with Chrom you may also want to marry them to other guys.

EDIT: Vantage'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom