• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this is a dumb question or it's been asked a million times. If I download the game right now, have I missed anything? Like DLC that isn't available anymore, or anything?

Chrom

I'm sure this is a dumb question or it's been asked a million times. If I download the game right now, have I missed anything? Like DLC that isn't available anymore, or anything?

No, not really. Everything that's ever been available to download still is and there aren't any plans for any of it to go away anytime soon.

At most, all you missed was the first DLC being free and the map pack that included it being sold at a slightly reduced price.

TWILT

Banned

No, of course not. All currently available DLC/Spotpass content should be available.

ronito

Damn, I made it so close last night. So close. I found that with my team a mad rush at the boss was bad but a more structured rush worked really well but then one turn away from being able to finish the boss a mage from far away cast one of those dark spells at my MC it had a 19% chance of hitting and of course it hit. Oh well.

Gvaz

Banned
What class should Henry be in now that I've gotten him all the skills I really want?

Also: what is a good level for grinding supports?

NeonZ

If they do DLC characters in a similar style next game, they should really figure out a better way to portray them. Fill the battle quotes with some text from their game, at least. Them being totally mute in the main game is really, really depressing.

All DLC characters (and spotpass ones) are basically custom avatars with special portraits and tweaked stats/skills. Their voice and generic quotes are just the Japanese mute avatar option, which was cut from the American release.

Considering how there was no true DLC character at all (the 6 free bonus map characters can be seen in the support list since it's unlocked and Priam is always listed in the credits), I think the game just didn't support actual DLC characters, only having support for guest avatars, which was tweaked for the past game characters. Considering how the conversation DLC had to add map conversations rather than just new supports, it's very likely that the game isn't even compatible with DLC supports either...

The battles are uninspired, the "unique" character you get from the battle doesn't even look different, and he doesn't even fucking say anything even when he levels up except ".....!".

It's horse armor.

The DLC character maps aren't anything special, and the character itself is barebones like you say there, but you're still getting the map, with unique dialogue for every enemy and allied npc and also new skills/classes in some of the maps. It's not really "impressive" by any means, but it's easily above "horse armor".

Gestahl

To be honest this DLC fucking sucks. It is lazy as shit. I got the pack that has Lief in it. The battles are uninspired, the "unique" character you get from the battle doesn't even look different, and he doesn't even fucking say anything even when he levels up except ".....!".

It's horse armor.

Yeah I would've given it a pass if the maps were well utilized and the objectives amounted to more than "Do your guys have the arbitrary number of stats needed to survive the Nostalgia Swarm of 2-4 dozen assholes y/n" but instead they're all just half-assed versions of old maps sprinkled with dozens of enemies with little rhyme or reason (like the actual game). Leif's had an ally army, but it gets destroyed immediately so you're left to clean up the mess on a flat wide field. Shame too I actually liked that map in FE4 since you had to deal with bandits attacking villages across the map and the bridge chokepoint was actually worth something.

The funny thing is that when it was released in Japan I distinctly remember a whole bunch of crowing about how it was Nintendo's first real foray into DLC and they "got it" or whatever, apparently not though!

ffdgh

What class should Henry be in now that I've gotten him all the skills I really want?

Also: what is a good level for grinding supports?

Sorcerer for Henry.

If you're playing on normal, Use reeking boxes on Arena Ferox (chapter 4) for supports.

If hard and above, The bonus teams are your cheapest best option.

Gvaz

Banned
Sorcerer for Henry.

If you're playing on normal, Use reeking boxes on Arena Ferox (chapter 4) for supports.

If hard and above, The bonus teams are your cheapest best option.

I already went through that tree, so it's okay to stick him back into sorc class?

I'm interested in some casual debates, so I'll ask a quick question.

What's the consensus on Frederick in this topic? How do you guys use him?

Good growths, bad bases, bad starting levels.

He's just awkward to find a good place to actually use him in the game. He starts off too high level at the start but when you actually start promoting people, his stats end up below average with everyone else. He becomes decent once he gains a few levels though.

He has decent class options, being to learn Defender, Deliverer, Dual Guard+, two breaker skills, Luna and both half damage skills. Though his -2 speed in max stats can bite him if you looking for min/maxing stuff.

FSLink

Banned
Yup. I use him as a pair up buddy until my characters surpass him. Until then, he's great for giving Chrom or my Avatar a boost.

Aexact

I bench him the minute I can or reduce him to pair up bonuses (it's a pretty nice boost). From what I can tell, Awakening has higher growths then the other games so you're gaining like 4-6 stats per level up, which leaves Frederick's comparatively low base stats behind faster then other characters of his type (early pre-promote).

As one of Sumia's limited potential husbands and passing both Aegis and Pavise, he's not a terrible choice for breeding though.

... Of course, in my Lunatic playthrough, it was all about Frederick. Who can survive more then two hits? Who can 1HKO or 2HKO the enemy with decent hit? Who isn't just a liability or pair up fodder for those first four chapters? Damn it, someone besides Fred raise their hand.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Need...10...more...Paragons

It's relatively quick and painless to farm Paragons. In my case, I just throw Noire to the upper left, Inigo to the upper right, and Severa to the bottom right. Skip battle animations, skip all actions of non-player characters, and then just wait a bit when the screen blackened with the word 'skipping' flashes and the field suddenly cleared of enemies. Very fast.

...now, Limit Break, on the other hand... is annoying to farm.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Limit Break is way more fun to grind for. Dat music.

The same setup should work considering my Noire, Inigo, and Severa are all already reaching caps with Limit Break, hmmmmm. Not gonna be unscathed, I think, but maybe they can handle the map all by themselves... hmmm.

Gonna try later.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well, finally got around to Death's Embrace.

Having Limit Break, Lifetaker, and Galeforce on the 2 main kid pairs and a good Lissa (or other staff user) with Fortify made that easier than I think it would have been otherwise.

Still almost died when the risen chief (who of course has counter) closed the distance, and Morgan took herself down to 5 hp on the first counterattack, lol.

Can I assume the '10 turn' thing was in regards to getting Est? I finished it in 8, so I'm not sure if there's special dialogue for 'finding the card'.

Also, I learned that stacking Brides for Bond does not work. Sad times, though I suppose a Bride army would negate the need for any sort of life gain skill.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Off topic but, I hope no one here is affected by the terrifying Boston bombing.

Condolences to all suffering due to it. What a news story to hear this morning, damn.

In any case, returning to Fire Emblem: I just found out that the game actually 'remembers' your stat when you perform class change. I reverted my Avatar who has already been maxed out as Grandmaster to a Mercenary to get Armsthrift, and after I use Master Seal at Mercenary 10 to Bow Knight, his stats jump again to fully maxed. I expect, by the time I get him to change again to Grandmaster at Bow Knight 10, the stat will be the same. Nice.

People with Armsthrift right now: Avatar, Severa, Inigo, Brady, Noire, Donnel. 4 people wrecking stuff left and right (since I don't use Donnel)

Clockwork5

I essentially used him in the first 7 or 8 chapters as crisis control. I ditched him soon after. I eventually paired him up with Maribelle but I really didnt use her much either. So yeah, he is way out of my main line up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am gonna make a specific save for chapter 21, then blitz all the way to chapter 25, get the female additional characters, then viewing/saving their support, then returning back to chapter 21 so that Avatar can marry Lucina.

It doesn't feel right for him not to be paired up with the best girl in the business, replaying chapters be damned.

ohlawd

woot 99,999 renown doing it the old fashioned way; spawn and kill.

Supreme Emblem, wtf does this do? Sell for 99,999 gold and that's it? At least it'll look cool on my Spotpass team. Other peeps will be like "yo wtf is that item? Does it give +99 stats to everything or what?!"

Supreme Emblem, wtf does this do? Sell for 99,999 gold and that's it? At least it'll look cool on my Spotpass team. Other peeps will be like "yo wtf is that item? Does it give +99 stats to everything or what?!"

Well, it's the fastest way in a new game to get 99,999 gold.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What is a "Paragon"?

Skill that allows you to enjoy 2x experience.

So what does it do? Just for money that can be surpassed with two short trips to Golden Gaffe? o_O

I thought it confers stuff like "All attacks are nulled except criticals" kind of thing.

ohlawd

What is a "Paragon"?

Gotta earn 5-star rankings on all Cie'th stone missions.
oh wait wrong game

It's a skill that doubles your exp gain. 20 exp becomes 40. 50 becomes 100. 100 becomes... 100! From Lost Bloodlines 3.

Well, it's the fastest way in a new game to get 99,999 gold.

oh yeah forgot renown carries over. Good stuff. I can buy my OP avatar back for free!

So what does it do? Just for money that can be surpassed with two short trips to Golden Gaffe? o_O

I thought it confers stuff like "All attacks are nulled except criticals" kind of thing.

I thought it'd have some cool effects too but it doesn't. Just says "The mark of a hero of the highest renown."

It looks cool though.

TWILT

Banned

Jelly. I'm only at 10,000~. I just want those boots. :|

ohlawd

If you have Golden Gaffe, farm some monies and recruit the low level teams. Rinse and repeat. That gets you renown too.

It's certainly faster than spawning and killing them like I did.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I thought it'd have some cool effects too but it doesn't. Just says "The mark of a hero of the highest renown."

It looks cool though.

Gah I hate when RPGs pull stuff like this, you know. Ultimate reward that doesn't give anything worthwhile trope is really annoying.

You folks are crazy, hahaha. 210 hours in and my renown is still 780, not even enough for a bloody Iron Lance *sad face*

ohlawd

I haven't tried it myself but you can earn more than 10,000 renown per hour recruiting weaksauce Spotpass peeps.

What's the point of 99,999 Renown.
The item only gives you money.

Trust me. I only managed to get 99,999 renown because I've been farming supports. It just happened along the way.

The emblem is basically the mega bullion.

Frederick is one my very best units. A lot of people tend to gloss over the early prepromotes, but he can be a really awesome character if you give him a chance.

So, what kind of "good growths" skill do you guys prefer? There's Aptitude in this game, which adds 20% to a unit's growths. Then there was Blossom in Path of Radiance, which rolled the RNG a second time for any stat that didn't level up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, what kind of "good growths" skill do you guys prefer? There's Aptitude in this game, which adds 20% to a unit's growths. Then there was Blossom in Path of Radiance, which rolled the RNG a second time for any stat that didn't level up.

Aptitude is better.

Because a second time roll for a 10% probability is not that good.

Although in this game Aptitude turns out to be rather useless skill, especially for a kid to inherit.

FSLink

Banned
Frederick is one my very best units. A lot of people tend to gloss over the early prepromotes, but he can be a really awesome character if you give him a chance.

The problem is that practically anybody can be awesome in this game. And most of the other characters don't have to deal with slower leveling thanks to being prepromoted.

However, having said that, the game's pretty easy outside of Lunatic thanks to the leveling opportunities so it really doesn't matter who you use.

Shahadan

getting my euro copy in one hour waaaaaaa I can't wait this is horrible I'm like a kid before christmas! Will there be an euro OT or should we also post here ?

Chrom

It was my understanding that the fastest way to grind for Renown was by hiring/firing a SpotPass character over an over for 50 Renown each instance, in combination with Golden Gaffe for money grinding. That's what I do. Mist from Path of Radiance in particular would actually be the most efficient character to do this on, since she's the absolute cheapest character you can buy (2000G).

getting my euro copy in one hour waaaaaaa I can't wait this is horrible I'm like a kid before christmas! Will there be an euro OT or should we also post here ?

It's been talked about a few times, but I'm unsure what's actually being planned for action at the moment. The idea that I've seen the most interest in is just an OT2 rather than an EU OT.

CorvoSol

Oh jeez I'm just tryin' ta build up and these Valkyrie mobs are ruining Frederick and Sumia. Ah well, not everyone can be Lon'qu, I guess.

The problem is that practically anybody can be awesome in this game. And most of the other characters don't have to deal with slower leveling thanks to being prepromoted.

However, having said that, the game's pretty easy outside of Lunatic thanks to the leveling opportunities so it really doesn't matter who you use.
That's the thing though, because of how open this game is, people should feel free to use whoever they like without worrying that it will hurt them later. It makes the game much more fun IMO.

Shahadan

yeah it was kinda annoying to waste precious xp on shit characters just to find out they're useless. I tried to promote Sothe in PoR. worst feeling ever.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
yeah it was kinda annoying to waste precious xp on shit characters just to find out they're useless. I tried to promote Sothe in PoR. worst feeling ever.

Try playing Fire Emblem 12 in Lunatic/Lunatic Reverse. You're pretty much screwed if you don't bring only select few characters in your team. Very limited choice of characters.

Not to mention the requirement of bringing 4 CHARACTERS to the final battle when the game never inferred anything about their requirements before.

This is why, even though it is spurned by some, I appreciate the ability to grind in FE13. Freed my hands on who to carry into battles.

Also, someone in Serene Forest posted this for the latest spotpass map:

In Paralogue 22, the Wellspring of Truth, I don't know which is worse: the fact that I brought in a team entirely comprised of base class units, or the fact that I imagined Chrom shouting "IT'S MORPHIN TIME!" as everyone on my team pulled out their master seals.

That's my scrub confession. What is yours?

Now why wouldn't I think of that? Gotta do that sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom