• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

UK copy on the way! ShopTo always get games to me a day or two before the official launch day, which is nice. Looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about and why Eurogamer awarded the game a 10.

Gregorn

I was planning on getting this at launch but still haven't finished VLR or even started Luigi's Mansion. Too many 3DS games.

Will I miss out on any spotpass stuff if I get it later?

XenodudeX

I just got FE and on chapter 10 or 11 or something,but right now fred is easily the strongest unit on my team. He's always on the front line.

"Weapon disadvantages? What the hell is that?" "Pick a god and prey."

ffdgh

I do hope that won't hurt you in the long run
KuGsj.gif

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can grind so Frederick abuse doesn't hurt as much as abusing the Jeigan in other games.

Which is fortunate, because he's really bad even among prepromotes. Sully will probably have better stats than Lv 1 Frederick before she hits 10 as a Cavalier.

You can grind so Frederick abuse doesn't hurt as much as abusing the Jeigan in other games.

Which is fortunate, because he's really bad even among prepromotes. Sully will probably have better stats than Lv 1 Frederick before she hits 10 as a Cavalier.

Maybe not before lv10, but definitely relatively soon enough. I'm pretty sure that's what happened during this run for the most part. I brought him to chapter 11 to fill space and because "hey, might as well have a crutch that can also protect Olivia and build support" but nope, I had to be more careful with him than my other units :|

ffdgh

Decided to check the activity log and i'm at 296 hours going strong...I still have many supports to go too.

Gonna start a 3rd playthrough to see how much the dlc breaks the game with paragon and make ricken,fred,stahl dread knights to not bench them for once.

OmegaZero

Just got this last night. Really lovely cutscenes and surprisingly good 3D.

Any tips in terms of who I should focus on leveling up (or just tips for a beginner in general)? And anyone want to recommend some "must-have" DLC maps?
I've already gathered that over-using Frederick isn't the best idea in the long run.

Any tips in terms of who I should focus on leveling up (or just tips for a beginner in general)? And anyone want to recommend some "must-have" DLC maps?
I've already gathered that over-using Frederick isn't the best idea in the long run.

Must have DLC maps are that there are none. You can finish the game without any of them, but the EXPonential, Golden Gaffe, and Infinite Regalia maps are there for convenience as well as some humor.

If you enjoy new classes, the other DLC maps may be worthy of a look especially if you want to glimpse a bit into Fire Emblem history with a multitude of other characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What about an "all in one" pack or "season 1" and "season 2" pack though.

I don't think NoA is really treating them as different seasons are they? Either way I doubt they'll do a big bulk pack(s).

Donnel is great once you get him to level 10-15 and reclass him to Mercenary. He'll be tough to use as a villager due to his really low stats, but it's worth it.

Get units to at least level 20 before you use a master seal on them. Or if you use second seals first, level them up until their stats start getting close to the caps (stats will turn green, it means you hit the cap).

For the most part, just enjoy playing the game the first time though. You can replay it and get into the eugenics (lol) and harder maps when you have a better understanding of the game.

Draxal

If you were to create a dlc, what would you actually desire in it? I just want core skills expanded to other characters.

Something like this for me.
DLC Char - Special Class (Special Class Skills)
Hector = Pirate (Counter/Axefaire)
Nephenee= Halberdier/Soldier (Galeforce/Lancefaire)
Sigurd = Gold Knight (Amsthrift/Swordfaire)

Would be an instabuy.

I don't think NoA is really treating them as different seasons are they? Either way I doubt they'll do a big bulk pack(s).

Well, they aren't (explicitly) classifying them like that, but it doesn't mean they couldn't separate them that way if they wished.

Yeah, I think chances of that are low, but I wouldn't say it'd be a bad idea to do so.

Chrom

I could see them do a pack containing all of the DLC once they're all out, but that's really it as far as I can see. And yeah, only the Japanese release divvies the DLC as Series 1 and 2.

OmegaZero

Must have DLC maps are that there are none. You can finish the game without any of them, but the EXPonential, Golden Gaffe, and Infinite Regalia maps are there for convenience as well as some humor.

If you enjoy new classes, the other DLC maps may be worthy of a look especially if you want to glimpse a bit into Fire Emblem history with a multitude of other characters.

Alright, I'll check those out. How use is EXPonential in the long run?

Donnel is great once you get him to level 10-15 and reclass him to Mercenary. He'll be tough to use as a villager due to his really low stats, but it's worth it.

Get units to at least level 20 before you use a master seal on them. Or if you use second seals first, level them up until their stats start getting close to the caps (stats will turn green, it means you hit the cap).

For the most part, just enjoy playing the game the first time though. You can replay it and get into the eugenics (lol) and harder maps when you have a better understanding of the game.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind.
How are you supposed to use the marriage system? To make units with specific skills?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'll check those out. How use is EXPonential in the long run?

It really depends on whether or not you combine it with other DLC. Just for maxing stats, it's excellent if you combine it with Paragon (2x exp) and Bride/Dread Fighter classes. You can easily coast through levels even after many reclasses since those are special classes and will gain exp at the rate of base class units and not promoted units.

Grinding for skills eventually gets kind of slow even with Paragon. Once you've reclassed several times you can do okay in the early levels of a new class, but once you start getting close to level 10 exp will really slow down.

All in all, I'd say the Golden Pack as a whole is worth it if you plan on putting a lot of time into the optional content/other DLC. If you just want to do the main game, none of it is really necessary at all.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind.
How are you supposed to use the marriage system? To make units with specific skills?

Parents will pass down the last skill on their active skill list, except DLC skills (and maybe special dance?) It's a good idea to consider gender-exclusive skills, especially for male children since females get multiple good, gender-exclusive skills (galeforce, lancefaire, dual support+, etc).

Characters will get married when you get S-rank support between them. You can only have one per character and only with compatible characters. And marriage effectively equals children and very little else.

Chrom

Actually, I asked somebody to check that and it turns out Special Dance can't be inherited. I'm not sure if that's logical or illogical : P

Oh, you caught me. I had asked someone myself to double check that and I realized that was wrong. Edited the post.

Just started this game. It is fantastic. Still debating which mode I want to play with regards to lost units. I don't know if I am hardcore enough to deal with units being lost forever. I apologize for asking and I'm assuming it has been answered multiple times but can you recruit new units?

Chrom

Just started this game. It is fantastic. Still debating which mode I want to play with regards to lost units. I don't know if I am hardcore enough to deal with units being lost forever. I apologize for asking and I'm assuming it has been answered multiple times but can you recruit new units?

Yes, there's plenty of new units that you can recruit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You recruit a lot more units than you can ever use at any given time, but units aren't really expendable in the sense that this new unit can completely replace that other unit. Especially in this game with the relationships and children characters.

For example, Sumia and Cordelia are both Pegasus Knights, but they will develop very differently. Cordelia will be a more "powerful" unit with high HP, strength, and defense, while Sumia will be more of a "finesse" unit with more speed, skill, and resistance. Aside from maybe normal mode (which I haven't tried) you won't have much success if you try to use Sumia in the same way as you would use Cordelia. Or, Sully (more balanced Cavalier) in the same way you might use Stahl (slower, tankier Cavalier) as another example.

Anteo

I figured as much. I be more worried about losing the "story" characters too. Bah. I should just man up and play the hardcore mode and hate myself later.

Most players reset after a death in Classic mode so, you will be one of the few if you just continue after deaths!

pariah164

I finally started my second playthrough. Out of curiosity, who ended up in everyone's Forever Alone corner?

For me, it was Fredrick, Anna,
Say'ri, Tiki, Morgan
... a few others I can't recall. But I did get all the kids, and all the kids got married to one another.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I wish I could make Say'ri, Tiki, and Anna happy while being married to Cordelia ;_;

Yarne is always forever alone for me.

Einbroch

Banned
Played a few hours and really digging it, but I have two questions.

One. My healer is either way behind my squad or I pair her up with a tanky person and then she's fine. The problem is that if I ever want to heal, I have to waste a turn, right? That's the tradeoff? Or is there a way to heal the same turn she's paired up?

Two. Sometimes my paired up partner will attack with me, sometimes not, which completely changes how a fight can go. Can I control this in any way or is it random?

zroid

Banned

One. My healer is either way behind my squad or I pair her up with a tanky person and then she's fine. The problem is that if I ever want to heal, I have to waste a turn, right? That's the tradeoff? Or is there a way to heal the same turn she's paired up?

Two. Sometimes my paired up partner will attack with me, sometimes not, which completely changes how a fight can go. Can I control this in any way or is it random?

That's right, a unit can't act on the same turn it's paired up, unless the other unit sacrifices its turn by switching positions (but your healer will be in front at the end of the turn).

As for the latter, you can prevent the paired unit from attacking by unequipping its weapon.

pariah164

To the first, yeah, it wastes a turn and also places that unit in the front, making them vulnerable. This is why all my Clerics get bumped to War Cleric as soon as possible. so they can at least TAKE a hit.

Second, there really is no way to control it. The closer the two units, the more likely an attack will happen. A and S ranks usually have the partner attack.

Sleepy

Wow, this game is great. Made it to Chapter 4 and unlocked all the Spotpass stuff--sooo much extra content. Can my weak-ass party defeat any of the new characters yet? Or do I need to be at higher levels for that? Also, the Paralore (?) maps are just for grinding, right?

Still learning the mechanics--the guy with the battle hammer took out half my party in Chapter 3 and then it took me a bit to figure out that I needed to use the hammer on the captain, d'oh?

The support conversations are great, hilarious, too. The first one between Chrom and Avatar is really funny.

pariah164

Wow, this game is great. Made it to Chapter 4 and unlocked all the Spotpass stuff--sooo much extra content. Can my weak-ass party defeat any of the new characters yet? Or do I need to be at higher levels for that? Also, the Paralore (?) maps are just for grinding, right?

Still learning the mechanics--the guy with the battle hammer took out half my party in Chapter 3 and then it took me a bit to figure out that I needed to use the hammer on the captain, d'oh?

The support conversations are great, hilarious, too. The first one between Chrom and Avatar is really funny.

Paralogue maps can also earn you stuff. Just saying.

And that depends on the level of your party. The first set of maps are pretty weak, but others, like Infinite Regalia, will WRECK you if you're not prepared and high enough level.

Sleepy

Oh, okay. When I saw the level of the character I had to kill to recruit, I thought I should let it go for a while. lol

The one thing that is throwing me off is the menu-hell. I get lost in all the stats, shops, items, etc. I always manage to buy something I already have and don't need and then I never have enough money to buy what I need.

It will be fun to learn as I go, though. I can see myself sinking many, many hours into this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom