• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I think I'll try Classic though it'll be rough for me. I could barely deal with leaving Pikmin to die, much less characters. So I'll be restarting a lot of missions.

Mupod

I don't get the point of people doing Classic if they're gonna do that anyways.

yeah, it's why I'm pretty much just gonna play on casual. Because the only thing that classic mode would do is make me reload missions every time something goes wrong, and I don't have the time for that nowadays.

I mean, I beat classic ironman on XCOM but if you lose someone there you just hire another faceless grunt. And it autosaves of course, so you can't reload even if you want to.

Artemisia

Banned
I paid for one day shipping, so I hope Amazon can get this to me on release day.

Edit: now wait

Delivery of Fire Emblem: Awakening pre-orders may be affected by manufacturer shipping delays . Amazon apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.

Great OT.

Hm...

Hm......

Despite being a long time FE fan, this is almost making me want to play on Casual, if only because of the mid battle saves. I would just restart to my mid battle save when losing a unit rather then restarting the entire map. I liked how FE10 had the mid battle saves, as the game was still difficult and death was final, but it removed a lot of the frustration.

Perhaps a Hard/Casual where I always restart if I lose the unit?

I just don't know. I'll likely go with Normal/Classic my first time around, for old times sake.

Anyway, how about some great FE music to listen to while we wait?

Midou

I liked how FE10 had the mid battle saves, as the game was still difficult and death was final, but it removed a lot of the frustration.

Well FE10 has some fairly long chapters. It's a nice cushion to relieve frustration. I'm not sure if Awakening chapters will get that long, if main story is 25 chapters (I think?) and takes 15-20 hours, should be okay.

Great OT and awesome title. This has definitely been one of my most looked forward to 3DS games for a long time. My hype is building more and more.

Well FE10 has some fairly long chapters. It's a nice cushion to relieve frustration. I'm not sure if Awakening chapters will get that long, if main story is 25 chapters (I think?) and takes 15-20 hours, should be okay.

True, there were some pretty huge chapters.

Has anybody who's played the JPN version speak on the size of the chapters themselves? Comparable to, say, FE7 or FE10, or somewhere in between?

ohlawd

one week left omg omg omg omg hype hype hype hype.

got it all paid off at ebgames. Gonna waifu the fuck out of everybody.

Nice title.

Been so long since I've played a FE game. Will probably go through FE7, FE9, and FE10 until the release.

And I might as well get this out of the way:

Tharja will be my Waifu.

Even while playing as both a male AND female avatar(even if the highest I can go is an A) in separate save files.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whoo, been too long since I've played FE. Gonna get ready by going through 7 and 8 again!

Also time to start sacrificing goats to the RNG gods.

Not sure if I'll play on casual just for mid-game saves or stick with my original classic thoughts. Seemed pretty easy on normal in the demo, so I'll have to go check Serenes on how difficulties stack up.

Necrovex

I mean we did that beforehand because that's all we could do, but now the game gives us the reset.

Because playing it on the casual setting completely changes how I plans out my attacks. Classic mode forces me to analyze a situation, gauge the risk factors, and decide if I really want to risk my unit.

In causal mode, I can send my unit over to a fight without any hesitation. I like the risk factor of being able to permanently lose an unit if I act like a bad tactician.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Been looking forward to getting back into the series after skipping Shadow Dragon. The demo was pretty fabulous.

Because playing it on the casual setting completely changes how I plans out my attacks. Classic mode forces me to analyze a situation, gauge the risk factors, and decide if I really want to risk my unit.

In causal mode, I can send my unit over to a fight without any hesitation. I like the risk factor of being able to permanently lose an unit if I act like a bad tactician.

This is a good point. This in of itself will likely be the reason for me to stick with classic, even if I would have just done casual for mid battle saves.

People who play in Classic and reset are basically adding "losing a unit" to the game over conditions. Gives it extra challenge.

NeonZ

How does a Bride fight?

Lances and bows, they also can use staffs, but that's support, not offensive. They have some exclusive animations for dodge and other movements which make them look surprisingly agile, spinning around and such while jumping.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This may be slightly off topic, but I'm a bit confused on the overall Fire Emblem timeline. What games can I play that relate to characters / plots that might make cameos in this game?

And does anyone know or can link me to a resource that will tell me what Fire Emblem games are available in English for handhelds? I have the original NA release Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones. I also heard there was a re-release of the version that has Marth as the main protagonist. If possible I'd like to get a hold of and play that one before this comes out.

Thanks for your patience.

Javier

And I might as well get this out of the way:

Tharja will be my Waifu.
DkeYZWx.gif

Debating on which mode to play in, though I may go casual so that I can have enough time to beat the game before MGR comes out.

MechaX

15-20 hours is all? Seriously? I swear I played Fire Emblem GBA for at least 4 times that length. That's disappointing.

The only way I could see a single playthrough on any FE game (even Radiant Dawn) being that long is if you never skipped animations and arena abused literally all the time for all characters.

Kyzon

How deep is the avatar customization? I love games where I can make someone who somewhat resembles me.

Edit: I cut my hair, but before haircut I kinda looked like Coro from Twilight Princess

Rarutos

This may be slightly off topic, but I'm a bit confused on the overall Fire Emblem timeline. What games can I play that relate to characters / plots that might make cameos in this game?

And does anyone know or can link me to a resource that will tell me what Fire Emblem games are available in English for handhelds? I have the original NA release Fire Emblem and Sacred Stones. I also heard there was a re-release of the version that has Marth as the main protagonist. If possible I'd like to get a hold of and play that one before this comes out.

Thanks for your patience.

This game is a very distant sequel to Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, which were remade for the DS. (Only Shadow Dragon was localized though) You don't have to play them to understand everything, but you definitely will catch a couple characters/references if you did play them.

The handheld games released for the West are Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones for the GBA and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS.

Prax

The only way I could see a single playthrough on any FE game (even Radiant Dawn) being that long is if you never skipped animations and arena abused literally all the time for all characters.

Don't forget turn-wasting to get supports for those earlier games! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom