• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrom

Alright, how exactly does class change work, especially with respect to skills?

It looks like normally you get skills at levels 1, 10, 5, and 15. If I class change a level 15 Grandmaster to Dark Flier, what happens? Am I now a level 15 Dark Flier with all the Tactician, Grandmaster, Pegasus Knight and Dark Flier skills? And what are my stats? The same ones I'd accumulated with my Tactician/Grandmaster levels?

When changing a unit's class to another with either a Master Seal or a Second Seal, their stats change and they go back to Level 1. Stats that go over the new class's stat caps (this would only happen with the use of a Second Seal) are reduced accordingly but are remembered internally within the game. Therefore, you will eventually cap all stats if you continue reclassing.

Using a Second Seal to change a Level 15 Grandmaster to a Dark Flier reverts that unit to a Level 1 Dark Flier, retaining all Skills that unit has already learned. While only five Skills may be set as active at one time, no Skill is ever forgotten by a unit regardless of class changing.

Pau

Maybe that for when you beat the game once... then you can go back and overpower yourself and go to the hardcore DLCs~!

I don't think I'd ever be able to touch lunatic mode though. I'm way too careless and take too many risks with my units.
Does lunatic give you the option of seeing where the enemy can move? No way I could ever do that without it.

Lunar15

Since you're already reading spoilers - these are minor ones for a spotpass character -
Ike's prototype name was Paris, there is a blue haired Hero with the same name in this game who claims to be a descendant of 'the blue flame'

More a reference than direct connection, but who knows...

Seems more like a reference than a direct relation. But yeah, I knew about the "Paris" part. Fun fact: They originally named Ike Paris because they modeled him after Hector, who was apparently a very popular character in Japan. Of course, in the Iliad, Paris is Hector's brother.

Seda

All modes do.

Oh cool, I recently replayed Radiant dawn on Hard and it doesn't do the usual graphic of where the enemy can move and attack, you just have to go check their movement stat and realize what weapons they have, as well as terrain. I sort of liked the additional challenge but it was a little bit frustrating too to have to check and count and enemies movement.

Ri'Orius

When changing a unit's class to another with either a Master Seal or a Second Seal, their stats change and they go back to Level 1. Stats that go over the new class's stat caps (this would only happen with the use of a Second Seal) are reduced accordingly but are remembered internally within the game. Therefore, you will eventually cap all stats if you continue reclassing.

Using a Second Seal to change a Level 15 Grandmaster to a Dark Flier reverts that unit to a Level 1 Dark Flier, retaining all Skills that unit has already learned. While only five Skills may be set as active at one time, no Skill is ever forgotten by a unit regardless of class changing.

Oh crazy.

So I remember in the GBA one I was advised to not promote someone until level 20 so I could get the most stat-ups. But if I can accumulate 40 levels of a promoted class (by leveling to 20 and swapping out), does that mean I can promote some characters ASAP without gimping myself long-term?

Presumably I won't have enough items to change class on everyone, but for one or two characters I can count on never hitting a hard level cap?

Roman

Seems more like a reference than a direct relation. But yeah, I knew about the "Paris" part. Fun fact: They originally named Ike Paris because they modeled him after Hector, who was apparently a very popular character in Japan. Of course, in the Iliad, Paris is Hector's brother.

As someone pointed out he also
comes with Ragnell
so you could see him as an actual descendant as crazy as it sounds.

Oh crazy.

So I remember in the GBA one I was advised to not promote someone until level 20 so I could get the most stat-ups. But if I can accumulate 40 levels of a promoted class (by leveling to 20 and swapping out), does that mean I can promote some characters ASAP without gimping myself long-term?

Presumably I won't have enough items to change class on everyone, but for one or two characters I can count on never hitting a hard level cap?

Well the reason it was advised in the GBA one was that there was a finite amount of exp you could earn barring arena abusing.

Here, you could grind to your hearts content so the hard rule of promoting early isn't a big deal. Not to mention, since there are items now that let you reduce an units level by some amount while keeping all the stats barring how limited they are, you could easily keep leveling and then de-leveling them til you max their stats or so.

I also heard that master seals are buyable in this game so there probably isn't a problem of not having enough items to promote everyone.

Chrom

Oh crazy.

You can't really gimp yourself in the long-term because the game is technically endless and you're able to grind as long as you want. Not only that, but Master and Second Seals are infinitely available to you as long as you can afford them from the shops.

Lunar15

You can't really gimp yourself in the long-term because the game is technically endless and you're able to grind as long as you want. Not only that, but Master and Second Seals are infinitely available to you as long as you can afford them from the shops.

Something about this bothers me. I've always preferred the series "finite EXP". Honestly, it's the main thing I'm worried about with this game.

ohlawd

holy cow this sounds like a giant pain in the ass >_<

I only think that all the available grinding is mostly for the DLC chapters for maxing your stats and getting all the skills that you need.

For the main game, I assume that you don't need to mindless grind or swap classes to get through it comfortably.

Chrom

I only think that all the available grinding is mostly for the DLC chapters for maxing your stats and getting all the skills that you need.

For the main game, I assume that you don't need to mindless grind or swap classes to get through it comfortably.

That's right. You can beat the game just fine without ever doing relying on side battles or reclassing.

I hope this shit doesn't have class changing. That mechanic was horrible in the ds version.

It's done much better in Awakening.

Nohar

Something about this bothers me. I've always preferred the series "finite EXP". Honestly, it's the main thing I'm worried about with this game.

I feel the same. I will probably play it and do some self-imposed challenges, in order to recapture the way the others FE titles are played (barring Sacred Stones).

Lunar15

The heavily structured nature of Fire Emblem has always been so appealing to me, as opposed to other SRPG's. The finite EXP, partnered with permadeath, creates this structure of "every move counts". Sure, I'll restart on deaths, but that just makes me have to think more strategically on the next try. Yes, you get crap dice rolls, but the game FORCES you to always expect the unexpected and treat every encounter like it could contain a 1% crit. It makes you respect and fear the RNG, rather than just simply get annoyed with it.

The series, to me, has always been about rolling with what you're dealt with, and being unable to grind your way out of a situation. It's always been less of an RPG to me and more of a puzzle game in that IS creates distinct patterns and it's your job to find them.

PKrockin

Yeah, me too. What's the purpose? In other games you probably wouldn't max your level by the end, and even if you did you wouldn't max all your stats for sure. What was wrong with that? Why is this mechanic needed?

There has always just been something so appealing to me in the heavily structured nature of Fire Emblem, as opposed to other SRPG's. The finite EXP, partnered with permadeath, creates this structure of "every move counts". Sure, I'll restart on deaths, but that just makes me have to think more strategically on the next try. Yes, you get crap dice rolls, but the game FORCES you to always expect the unexpected and treat every encounter like it could contain a 1% crit. It makes you respect and fear the RNG, rather than just simply get annoyed with it.

The series, to me, has always been about rolling with what you're dealt with, and being unable to grind your way out of a situation. It's always been less of an RPG to me and more of a puzzle game in that IS creates distinct patterns and it's your job to find them.

Yes, exactly. Reclassing goes against this because now instead of your units being subject to the RNG gods when they level up (and thus being unique every playthrough) you can just reclass and grind to get that "perfect" unit.

Chrom

Yeah, me too. What's the purpose? In other games you probably wouldn't max your level by the end, and even if you did you wouldn't max all your stats for sure. What was wrong with that? Why is this mechanic needed?

So that you could have a remote chance of taking down this guy in the last DLC.

I prefer the infinite exp method. I don't think I'd enjoy being restricted to having only a certain amount of exp allotted to me. I'd be screwed if I fucked something up. That, and I just enjoy being able to freely explore every option available to me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How much content is in the familiarity/support/romance stuff? Lots of conversations or is it basically just barebones?

Does it make you feel attached to the characters, I mean.
Anyone know if Gamestop is doing midnight for this?

Definitely not when Nintendo isn't even letting people run reserves for it anymore.

Vamphuntr

Why don't they balance those DLC skirmishes to be beatable without reclassing and grinding up to max stats?

Probably because DLC is released gradually. They had new DLC for months for the JP release and by that time they expect that people that kept playing are obviously ridiculously strong.

PKrockin

Superbosses in other RPGs are the same principle, no one complains about those.

I don't remember any optional bosses that required me to max my stats or otherwise grind for a long time after the main quest. Besides, we're talking about Fire Emblem, not "regular" RPGs.

Then it's not an optional challenge anymore and just another boss.

Uh... yes it is?

To be fair, ideally you'd only face that guy after beating about 70 other maps before it.

Oh, I completely forgot the other DLC/spotpass maps and such. That makes more sense I guess.

So does day 1 purchase get us any free DLC in America? On my phone, so I was just skimming for the word "free" and didn't see anything. If yes, is it a code, or will I need to actually play the game? Buying day 1, but still waiting on an all white XL to replace he regular 3ds I parted with.

Chrom

Given what I know about the story, what will happen if I purposefully kill all the girls?

Nothing, sort of. The story isn't really reliant on the existence of all but one child, but said child is immune to somehow being retconned by the player.

So does day 1 purchase get us any free DLC in America? On my phone, so I was just skimming for the word "free" and didn't see anything. If yes, is it a code, or will I need to actually play the game? Buying day 1, but still waiting on an all white XL to replace he regular 3ds I parted with.

You need to play the game. Doesn't matter how and where you got the game, you need to reach a certain point in the game during the period of time in which the DLC is free in order to get it free.

Where do you actually grind in this game? I noticed there is no arena and no tower that i know of.

On random points in the world map for StreetPass or SpotPass (or just randomly), or DLC.

Rarutos

First DLC is free for a limited time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom