• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This game is a very distant sequel to Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, which were remade for the DS. (Only Shadow Dragon was localized though) You don't have to play them to understand everything, but you definitely will catch a couple characters/references if you did play them.

The handheld games released for the West are Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones for the GBA and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS.
Thanks Rarutos. Looks like I just need to pick up Shadow Dragon and I'll be as prepared as I can get with what they've actually localized. Just pre-ordered the bundle :]

Takuan

How deep is the avatar customization? I love games where I can make someone who somewhat resembles me.

Edit: I cut my hair, but before haircut I kinda looked like Coro from Twilight Princess

There's a video on YouTube showing off character creation. I don't recall it looking particularly deep, maybe 4 or 5 options max for hair/face/voice along with height & weight options.

What's the nature of DLC like for this game? Do the characters come with their own missions, or do they just appear in your party for use after purchase?

Roman

STOP BLOWING MY MIND.

Since you're already reading spoilers - these are minor ones for a spotpass character -
Ike's prototype name was Paris, there is a blue haired Hero with the same name in this game who claims to be a descendant of 'the blue flame'

More a reference than direct connection, but who knows...

PKrockin

There's a video on YouTube showing off character creation. I don't recall it looking particularly deep, maybe 4 or 5 options max for hair/face/voice along with height & weight options.

I've heard it was like this, too. Fine by me, after all they need matching portrait art for each. I'm just glad you get a voice (and a choice among several).

Rarutos

But Shadow Dragon was not good

I played it recently and didn't think it was that bad... The worst part was really the killing off most of your army to get the gaiden chapters thing. :|

But yeah, I wouldn't really recommend it over any of the other games released in the West.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Brave thread title.

There is but one Lord of the RNG, and she does not share power.
Whisper the name to me, McNum. I shall tell no one.
But Shadow Dragon was not good
What makes you say that?
I played it recently and didn't think it was that bad... The worst part was really the killing off most of your army to get the gaiden chapters thing. :|

But yeah, I wouldn't really recommend it over any of the other games released in the West.
Can you explain this?

Can you explain this?

For that game's gaiden chapters, the requirements was to have less than a certain amount of characters. Each one was basically have 15 or less characters and at the rate of characters you were getting, either you had to play poorly or kill off people.

It it was basically helping people who were doing poorly by having people getting killed by letting them recruit slightly decent characters to make up for your loss. :p

CSX

Whisper the name to me, McNum. I shall tell no one.What makes you say that?
Can you explain this?

It's the worst of the FEs to come to the west. In FE, there are Gaiden chapters which are extra chapters that you can do if you followed certain requirements on the previous chapter such as
"Finish chapter in 15 turns or less" or "Don't get X NPCs die"

For Shadow Dragon, the requirements were having a limited number of people in your total party meaning you purposely had to kill people off.

Other reasons why I didn't like it include worst artstyle, story bland, sprites were ugly , just didnt feel as fun completing chapter by chapter than any other FE in english

Rarutos

Other reasons why I didn't like it include worst artstyle, story bland, sprites were ugly , just didnt feel as fun completing chapter by chapter than any other FE in english

To be fair about the story: it seemed like they tried to make it as close to the original as possible, which was probably a terrible idea.

What's the nature of DLC like for this game? Do the characters come with their own missions, or do they just appear in your party for use after purchase?

Yeah, they all come with a mission, which is usually fighting other armies from previous FE games. For example, Marth's DLC map has you fighting all of the main FE heroines, Leaf's map is a battle of Archanea vs Jugdral, and similar things to that.

Since you're already reading spoilers - these are minor ones for a spotpass character -
Ike's prototype name was Paris, there is a blue haired Hero with the same name in this game who claims to be a descendant of 'the blue flame'

More a reference than direct connection, but who knows...

Well,
there's also the fact that his weapon is Ragnell.

Teknoman

I wonder if they'll add more options to the game for the english release, like what happened with Pokemon Battle Revolution.

I just found out there will be no arenas in Awakening, which may actually convince me to pick up a 3DS. The last Fire Emblem I played was Sacred Stones, and couldn't stop myself from abusing the arenas to level up/get gold. Of course, the game immediately stops being compelling once you get so overpowered relative to the enemies.

I've had my copy pre-ordered and paid off with my local Gamestop since early December. Can't wait for next Monday. Classic mode is a no brainer for me. But the real choice is between...

Cordelia said:
fire_emblem_awakening_cordelia.jpg
OR
Sully said:

Chrom

I just found out there will be no arenas in Awakening, which may actually convince me to pick up a 3DS. The last Fire Emblem I played was Sacred Stones, and couldn't stop myself from abusing the arenas to level up/get gold. Of course, the game immediately stops being compelling once you get so overpowered relative to the enemies.

You can still grind Awakening, just not in arenas.

Don't not get it, though.

PKrockin

I just found out there will be no arenas in Awakening, which may actually convince me to pick up a 3DS. The last Fire Emblem I played was Sacred Stones, and couldn't stop myself from abusing the arenas to level up/get gold.

There are still those random "skirmishes" though.

Of course, the game immediately stops being compelling once you get so overpowered relative to the enemies.

Yep. That's the reason I'm picking Classic and avoiding skirmishes.

Ainaurdur

My pre-order has been ready. The receipt is longing to be traded in on Monday.

Funny thing after playing the demo, I had been considering playing in Casual mode since it will be available this time, but I am thinking I should probably just jump into Classic. Might go Hard as well.

My sad confession though, I own both Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, but have not actually played them. But I want to dive right into Awakening. I will go back to the others later when I finish.

Of course, the game immediately stops being compelling once you get so overpowered relative to the enemies.

That's where the DLC maps come in though. From what I've seen of some, you WILL need to be overpowered. Jesus just seeing the stats in the final DLC scares me .___.

Chrom

That's where the DLC maps come in though. From what I've seen of some, you WILL need to be overpowered. Jesus just seeing the stats in the final DLC scares me .___.

Exactly, that one DLC you're referring to is essentially impossible to beat if you don't max your units' stats, and even then, that can't guarantee that you'd win.

Prax

Maybe that for when you beat the game once... then you can go back and overpower yourself and go to the hardcore DLCs~!

I don't think I'd ever be able to touch lunatic mode though. I'm way too careless and take too many risks with my units.

NeonZ

2 genders, 3 sizes, 5 eyes and 5 hair styles per gender/size combination, with many hair color options, 3 voices per gender in the American version (4 voices per gender and silent protagonist option in the original). The main issue that makes it seem rather limited is the odd decision of limiting choices for each size. There are overall 15 hair styles per gender, but each size only actually has 5 due to the way they handled things. Same goes to eyes. They aren't just the same options for different sizes, but completely unique ones.

You can't choose clothing or initial class, but can reclass to any standard class available for the avatar's gender during the game itself afterwards, and the outfit will change accordingly (well, for the 3d model and map sprite, the artwork remains the same and isn't modified after character creation).

Midou

Yes, artstyle and sprites is a big reason I stayed away, though also because I heard its bland in general. It's such an offensively ugly and bland artstyle, I'm surprised anyone greenlit it.

Beelzebub

Does anyone think a place like Walmart will have this available at midnight? My Gamestop stopped taking preorders last week, wanted that artbook... Ive also been considering just downloading as I'd never want to get rid of the game, though the physical case and pixel art cart is awesome. My most wanted 3DS game has almost arrived!!! Playing classic mode for sure

Chrom

Does anyone think a place like Walmart will have this available at midnight? My Gamestop stopped taking preorders last week, wanted that artbook... Ive also been considering just downloading as I'd never want to get rid of the game, though the physical case and pixel art cart is awesome. My most wanted 3DS game has almost arrived!!! Playing classic mode for sure

I've never heard of Walmart ever doing something like that, so I'm inclined to say that I doubt they would.

After reading through this thread, you've all convinced me to play Casual mode. Thank you for saving me from the torment I was going to put myself through.

Ri'Orius

Alright, how exactly does class change work, especially with respect to skills?

It looks like normally you get skills at levels 1, 10, 5, and 15. If I class change a level 15 Grandmaster to Dark Flier, what happens? Am I now a level 15 Dark Flier with all the Tactician, Grandmaster, Pegasus Knight and Dark Flier skills? And what are my stats? The same ones I'd accumulated with my Tactician/Grandmaster levels?

McNum

Whisper the name to me, McNum.
Her holiness bears the name of
Anna

And Nintendo is so in on this running Fire Emblem joke, why else would they
have made Anna a Trickster in this game? I'm not going to lie, if Anna ever gets an empty level in my game, I'll laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom