• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Fix

Is there any reason not to promote a character as soon as they reach level 10?

They retain their stats when promoting, so you'd miss out on those extra 10 levels of gains.

I also realized I changed Chrom's class at level 20 before I promoted him. Shit, I think I have to level his Lord class back up to 20 if I switch back.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You're losing 10 potential levels of growth, but you might not be pressed to do 20/20 (max levels pre and post promotion) with every character. I'm still waiting to promote all of mine, but I'm sure someone else will fill you in with more advanced detail.

Roto13

They retain their stats when promoting, so you'd miss out on those extra 10 levels of gains.

I also realized I changed Chrom's class at level 20 before I promoted him. Shit, I think I have to level his Lord class back up to 20 if I switch back.
Ok, I figured it probably didn't just auto level you to 20 before switching. :p

Mr. Fix

You are also missing out on learning a new skill that they learn at level 15.

This one varies I think. Sometimes they learn them at level 1, and the other at 10. Once you've gotten both skills for that class, you shouldn't have to worry about it anymore. You'd be able to promote or change once you've secured them.

For promoting I tend to look at it in two ways especially for this game

Since this game allows the mix and matching of skills with the 2nd class seal I personally think promoting any first tier ie lord tactician at lvl 10 is not a bad Idea since you will have access to the 2nd tier classes a bit faster

The benefit of the extra 10 levels of stats is not real really that big a deal since you will eventually max out from all the class changes you do since they revert backs to lvl 1

On that note
Promoting a 1st tier class at lvl 20 to a 2nd tier will just make them stronger but will have the character grow slightly slower and requires more battles

For example in my game Chrom and my avatar were promoted at lvl 20 however while they were stronger they required a bit mor exp I found and required a lot of kills to lvl especially after there 2nd and 3rd class change and I had basically finished the entire hard, mode with a total of 5 units

Tl;dr

Promoting early
-faster access to 2nd tier skills
-stats will eventually cap out

Promoting later
-the unit is ove fall stronger
-becomes a huge exp hog

Hope that helps :)

Saprol

I didn't realize Frederick was already a promoted class, hence his slower gains than everybody else with base classes. So he's sitting on the bench until, I dunno, forever at this rate.

Chrom

Wow, reading this interview, I had no idea Kozaki was previously involved with the Fire Emblem TCG. I'll have to look into that sometime.

Edit: Funny how they don't bother with creating new videos.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It didn't take too many tries to beat it, but fucking Paralogue 3.
Those villagers would walk right into the teeth of the enemy. I wasted my entire Rescue staff, to keep pulling them back from their deaths, as I scurried to kill the baddies. I also wasted a turn with Chrom, who just tells them to flee and he'll protect them.

Wow, reading this interview, I had no idea Kozaki was previously involved with the Fire Emblem TCG. I'll have to look into that sometime.

Edit: Funny how they don't bother with creating new videos.

I wonder what they mean by being involved. Did he just draw some of the characters cause the random ones I'm looking up doesn't seem to be like his style.

Midou

I didn't realize Frederick was already a promoted class, hence his slower gains than everybody else with base classes. So he's sitting on the bench until, I dunno, forever at this rate.

That is usually what I do with those kind of characters, but he is totally necessary on Hard, at least was for me. :p

Those villagers would walk right into the teeth of the enemy. I wasted my entire Rescue staff, to keep pulling them back from their deaths, as I scurried to kill the baddies. I also wasted a turn with Chrom, who just tells them to flee and he'll protect them.

I didn't even bother
saving them, they literally ran into wyvern rider range constantly
did you get anything good for doing it?

Mr. Fix

I changed Frederick into a Wyvern Rider, yet he still gains xp as a promoted class. I did a test with Chrom, promoting him to a Great Lord, and then reclassing him to a cavalier, yet he gained xp as fast as pre-promoted units do. Anyone know why that is?

Whenever I read Iwata Asks interviews, I imagine an English translator speaking over hushed Japanese voices. Similar to the early translated Iron Chef shows.

Chrom

I changed Frederick into a Wyvern Rider, yet he still gains xp as a promoted class. I did a test with Chrom, promoting him to a Great Lord, and then reclassing him to a cavalier, yet he gained xp as fast as pre-promoted units do. Anyone know why that is?

It's supposed to be like that because the game remembers your "real" level, I think.

cjkeats

Oh, I see. I still find that weird, though. I thought you were supposed to be able to interact with them, and you're saying you can't.
You can't interact with them on the battle field, but after you can go and parlay with the avatar on the world map. You can buy him there.

Chrom

You can't interact with them on the battle field, but after you can go and parlay with the avatar on the world map. You can buy him there.

Oh, that's what I had in mind, you see. I had the impression you really couldn't do anything with the Avatar, but that doesn't seem to be the case to me anymore.

I'm pretty sure you could also just choose to fight the actual team if you don't want to use money to buy the Avatar. Whichever method of recruitment may suit differently to you depending on your circumstance, I suppose. Choose to fight, or pay your way through.

Hero

From the Iwata asks:

Yamagami

Mainly Higuchi-san. Ever since we made Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo, I'd been proposing that we make a new game. The game would be Fire Emblem, but you could enjoy a different world, like—to take an extreme example—the modern world. Iwata

What kind of proposals were you making?
Yamagami

(laughs) A game called Fire Emblem 2011.
Iwata

2011?
Higuchi

Yeah. (laughs) We made proposals that were a complete departure from the medieval worldview so far—like Fire Emblem completely in the modern world or the one which has the sense of an fairy tale. But they were too far out, so we couldn't get started. (laughs)

Perhaps this is the origin of SMT x Fire Emblem?

Chrom

From the Iwata asks:

Perhaps this is the origin of SMT x Fire Emblem?

That's an interesting thought. I remember in some different interview post-Shadow Dragon, IS entertained the thought of an all-star Fire Emblem game, and look where we're at now.

Doorman

Iwata Laughs said:
Iwata: Maeda-san, do you remember what the other suggestions were like?

Maeda: One idea that came up within the team was, well, it was Mars.

Iwata: Mars?!

Maeda: Yeah. Fighting on Mars.

Iwata: Fighting on Mars?!

Kusakihara: Now I know why Yamagami-san was like, "That's too much!"

Everyone: (laughs loudly)

I loved reading this little exchange. I could just imagine Iwata being flabbergasted when this was brought up, and it's good to hear that they were looking to change up some of the conventions of the series.

I loved reading this little exchange. I could just imagine Iwata being flabbergasted when this was brought up, and it's good to hear that they were looking to change up some of the conventions of the series.

But Mars? Really? Really?! They should use that setting for Advance Wars 3DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That is usually what I do with those kind of characters, but he is totally necessary on Hard, at least was for me. :p

I didn't even bother
saving them, they literally ran into wyvern rider range constantly
did you get anything good for doing it?

Well
they gave me three rewards after, which I guess was one for each villager. I can't remember what they were off hand, but it seemed worth my time.
I'll edit this later when I look and remember what they gave me.

I forgot to visit the town, sadly and didn't pick up my reward from there. Bah.

Socreges

Banned
Nothing; the game didn't ask me to save after the ending.

Doing another playthrough.... who do I waifu next...
Well you'll have seen the time when you saved before the final battle. That was my thought.

Just thinking that could be the source of the "15-20" hours claim, which reflects the save file but not the reality.

ohlawd

Well you'll have seen the time when you saved before the final battle. That was my thought.

Just thinking that could be the source of the "15-20" hours claim, which reflects the save file but not the reality.

Oh shoot I completely misinterpreted your post.

It says 31:25. I spent a crapton of time resetting because of deaths and stuff, not to mention me wasting hours upon hours just doing skirmishes and not doing the story.

15-20 hours sounds about right. I might even be generous and say 20-25 but that's me.

RangerBAD

Nintendo is really fouling up with this release. GS not getting their shipments, even Amazon is saying there may be manufacture shipping delays. What's going on with this game?

Roto13

For promoting I tend to look at it in two ways especially for this game

Since this game allows the mix and matching of skills with the 2nd class seal I personally think promoting any first tier ie lord tactician at lvl 10 is not a bad Idea since you will have access to the 2nd tier classes a bit faster

The benefit of the extra 10 levels of stats is not real really that big a deal since you will eventually max out from all the class changes you do since they revert backs to lvl 1

On that note
Promoting a 1st tier class at lvl 20 to a 2nd tier will just make them stronger but will have the character grow slightly slower and requires more battles

For example in my game Chrom and my avatar were promoted at lvl 20 however while they were stronger they required a bit mor exp I found and required a lot of kills to lvl especially after there 2nd and 3rd class change and I had basically finished the entire hard, mode with a total of 5 units

Tl;dr

Promoting early
-faster access to 2nd tier skills
-stats will eventually cap out

Promoting later
-the unit is ove fall stronger
-becomes a huge exp hog

Hope that helps :)

That does help. I didn't realize promoting them at a lower level means they grow faster in their new class.

Man, those dues are so stupid. I had the grid that shows which squares were vulnerable to enemy attacks and which weren't, and every time they were in a safe square they'd run to the most dangerous square within range. I should have let them get murdered. (Two of them died anyway.)

Can someone link me the Enemy Phase music from the demo? I don't want to spoil myself with tacks... I'd rather listen to them in-game first. I say this assuming the game's OST is up on YouTube. I hope.

Chrom

Can someone link me the Enemy Phase music from the demo? I don't want to spoil myself with tacks... I'd rather listen to them in-game first. I say this assuming the game's OST is up on YouTube. I hope.

Not all of the songs are on YouTube yet. I imagine the complete OST will be up by around late March or early April.

This is the song you're looking for, but it's the battle version. I can't find the map version if that's what you were looking for. No one uploaded it as far as I know.

Seik

Banned
*Calls Gamestop*
''Yeah well I heard you were selling Fire Emblem on 3DS sooner than expected, you still have some?''
GS: ''No those were only for people who pre-ordered, 2 days after we got the actual release date and we'll respect it.''

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

No FE for me this week-end. I envy all of you Canada GAF who got their copies. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom