• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

It's true that FE6 did some neat things like alternate paths and multiple endings depending on how you fare. I wish more games in the series did that. Or maybe dialogue choices.

It's true that FE6 did some neat things like alternate paths and multiple endings depending on how you fare. I wish more games in the series did that. Or maybe dialogue choices.

FE7 did that. Though it was only for single chapters instead of a whole section. There was also the branching path in FE8 where you could go with Eirika or Ephraim.

Roman

FE7 did that. Though it was only for single chapters instead of a whole section. There was also the branching path in FE8 where you could go with Eirika or Ephraim.

I know about all of this but it's too few and far between. There is more you can do with dialogue than just ask the player which route they want to take. I'd like some tough choices.

I rather disliked FE7's way of determining which chapter you went to when there was a split.

I agree. Too many of the triggers are not easily identifiable through in-game hints.

I do wish that FE would introduce more player choice mechanics. Short of full sidequest chapters, they could give you some control of strategic decisions that would influence enemy deployment in the next map. For example, a pre-battle decision to burn a bridge could prevent enemy reinforcements in the next battle at the price of preventing some civilians from appearing (with gifts if you save them during the mission). Or choosing an alternate route into a village could give your team a different starting position in the next battle.

It would be good if the choice you get w/r/t Pelleas in RD were a pretty standard feature in the series, and it would be even better if those choices had far-reaching consequences for whom you could recruit, what sorts of battles you would face, and what sort of world you would leave in your army's wake. For now, however, I'd settle for a relatively limited strategic decisions.

NeonZ

Question regarding Spotpass. Is everybody getting
Serra
? Curious if the character you get is random.

I belive you get 12 characters but can only fight one per week per spotpass. Someone else on this thread got Lyn.

It's 10 characters per game, and one distributed per day, with everyone made from that specific game being made available permanently and at any time after the 10 initial days are over.

Are there characters in this game that are generally accepted as top-of-the-line amongst all of them? Besides MU, Chrom, and Morgan I guess. I'm one of those RPG gamers that like to have my party composed of the absolute best party members, so having all these potential options makes me confused about who I should pick.

Lucina
but that's kinda obvious.

Everything else would be dependent on how you decide to lvl up your units from changing their classes as you like with the seals to how much grinding you do. There's also the fact that you can experiment with the pair up feature to see which two units go extremely well together. You do have to be wary of the RNG goddess mischeif, because just like in the other games she will screw you over at some point.

It only becomes a serious issue in the harder difficulties like when you play Lunatic, where its best to avoid all the characters you have to level up to be good like Donnel.

Other than that would be based on from what I've heard from those who've actually played the JPN version of the game already, is that the Dark Mage/Sorcerer class is the best in the game. Especially once your unit has:

1. The Nosferatu weapon (which recovers HP equal to half the damage dealt to enemy).
2. A skill that deals with Critical Hits.
3. And having managed to level up their skill and defense stats well.

I've heard this is a bit shorter than past FE. Also saw there's easy, normal, hard and hard+. I've played a few FE's before and want to get the most out of this one but never played on hard. Is hard the only mode that has ng+?

I've heard this is a bit shorter than past FE. Also saw there's easy, normal, hard and hard+. I've played a few FE's before and want to get the most out of this one but never played on hard. Is hard the only mode that has ng+?

Only beating the game on hard or lunatic will unlock hard+ or lunatic+. There's no traditional new game+ here.

chrono01

There's only Normal/Hard/Lunatic [Hard+/Lunatic+ is unlocked after completing Hard/Lunatic].

There's no New Game+ at all, although you can transfer your saved characters from your Logbook into subsequent play-throughs [as long as you have the Gold to do-so].

Roman

I agree. Too many of the triggers are not easily identifiable through in-game hints.

I do wish that FE would introduce more player choice mechanics. Short of full sidequest chapters, they could give you some control of strategic decisions that would influence enemy deployment in the next map. For example, a pre-battle decision to burn a bridge could prevent enemy reinforcements in the next battle at the price of preventing some civilians from appearing (with gifts if you save them during the mission). Or choosing an alternate route into a village could give your team a different starting position in the next battle.

It would be good if the choice you get w/r/t Pelleas in RD were a pretty standard feature in the series, and it would be even better if those choices had far-reaching consequences for whom you could recruit, what sorts of battles you would face, and what sort of world you would leave in your army's wake. For now, however, I'd settle for a relatively limited strategic decisions.

Exactly stuff like the Pelleas choice. I would like to see more of that.

Kenai

Looks like my local GS isn't getting this til next week. However, they did give me my snazzy artbook, so I went ahead and paid off the preorder. I wish it had more pages (16), but the paper is thick and glossy.

Looking forward to next week. I think I will also be buying the bundle and then proceeding to not open it, cause I am a collector
who has problems

NeonZ

It's normal, hard, lunatic and lunatic +. And lunatic + is just an even harder lunatic, not a new game +, although you need to finish lunatic to unlock it.

The closest thing this game has to new game + is the ability to save and import avatars and legacy characters between different files, but that can be done at almost any time, not just after the ending.

Roto13

So hey, what's Panne's level cap?
Doesn't the spotpass summon up the leader (which would be Eliwood in this case). I thought we could only fight the whole team?

The leader is random. I have a pushover Matthew team and some armoured guy whose name I don't remember who is too tough for me to beat right now.

NeonZ

Doesn't the spotpass summon up the leader (which would be Eliwood in this case). I thought we could only fight the whole team?

Each character is the leader of their own team of (generally) 9 generics. So, Eliwood has a team, but Hector, Lyn, Karel, Nergal and the others have teams of their own too. You only get one character per "team", because each team only has one character who isn't a generic, but there's one team for each legacy character, not one team for each game...

One of the 10 FE7 characters will be made available to each player each day, until some time has passed and then they'll make all 10 characters available to everyone and at that point they'll start the random daily distribution of characters for some other game.

Can she switch to a different class once she reaches the cap? I'd hate to be wasting time time leveling her if she can't get past level 30. :p

Yes, she can actually change right now just that she'll be restricted to her unpromoted options till she reaches level 30 in her original class.

Chrom

Yes, she can actually change right now just that she'll be restricted to her unpromoted options till she reaches level 30 in her original class.

I read that in the case for special classes, Panne need to be 30 to change as a Taguel, and it's only to either her two unpromoted choices, Thief or Wyvern Rider.

Feel free to correct me if that isn't the case, though. I'm not 100% sure about this.

Mr. Fix

So hey, what's Panne's level cap?

The leader is random. I have a pushover Matthew team and some armoured guy whose name I don't remember who is too tough for me to beat right now.

Each character is the leader of their own team of (generally) 9 generics. So, Eliwood has a team, but Hector, Lyn, Karel, Nergal and the others have teams of their own too. You only get one character per "team", because each team only has one character who isn't a generic, but there's one team per each legacy character, not one team per game...

One of the 10 FE7 characters will be made available to each player each day, until some time has passed and then they'll make all 10 characters available to everyone and at that point they'll start the random daily distribution of characters for some other game.

Ah, no wonder. There's only been one spotpass team available so far, right? I.e. Anyone who got Matthew's team still only has Matthew's to date? I was actually worried that only the FE Lords would have portraits, but this is great news! Can't wait for Hector.

Roto13

As long as she can keep growing with the rest of the team, I'm fine with changing her whenever. I'll probably level her up to 30 first anyway.

Ah, no wonder. There's only been one spotpass team available so far, right? I.e. Anyone who got Matthew's team still only has Matthew's to date?

Well, I have two. Matthew and Hector.

I read that in the case for special classes, Panne need to be 30 to change as a Taguel, and it's only to either her two unpromoted choices, Thief or Wyvern Rider.

Feel free to correct me if that isn't the case, though. I'm not 100% sure about this.

I could have easily been reading the page on class changing wrong.

Chrom

Only the FE7 team is available right now. If the SpotPass schedule will imitate the Japanese one, we should expect them to be released biweekly.

Regarding how the appearances of the other members of a team works, from Serenes Forest:

SpotPass Teams appear on the world map after being summoned from the Download Box. If the set you've summoned is the latest one released, the teams in the set will appear after 24 hour intervals of each other, independent of anything you do (so it will take at least 10 days to see everybody in a set), and the order of the teams differs for each player. For "old" sets you can summon specific teams at will.

johnsmith

remember me
Is this like Sacred Stones where you can fight extra random battles, or are you limited to story only battles? I found those extra battles made the game too easy as you could overlevel, so I might try it on hard mode if you're able to do that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is this like Sacred Stones where you can fight extra random battles, or are you limited to story only battles? I found those extra battles made the game too easy as you could overlevel, so I might try it on hard mode if you're able to do that.

From what I know, you can power level in this.

Chrom

It is very much like Sacred Stones, yes.

NeonZ

You've misunderstood.

Panne needs to be a level 10 Taguel to use a second seal and change to unpromoted classes. Level 10 of an unpromoted class is also the general requirement for using the second seal at all.

If you use it at level 30, in any class that goes up to that level, you get the chance to change straight to any promoted classes that the character can access. For standard characters who don't have classes that go up to lvl 30, you need to be at 10+ of a promoted class to change straight to other promoted classes.

Mr. Fix

Only the FE7 team is available right now. If the SpotPass schedule will imitate the Japanese one, we should expect them to be released biweekly.

Regarding how the appearances of the other members of a team works, from Serenes Forest:

I just checked, and there are multiple teams under FE7. I was wondering why I only had one listed. And it's Hector! I'm tempted to buy him out, but I'll probably wait until I can actually take him down.

Ah, no wonder. There's only been one spotpass team available so far, right? I.e. Anyone who got Matthew's team still only has Matthew's to date? I was actually worried that only the FE Lords would have portraits, but this is great news! Can't wait for Hector.

Are spot pass teams you get random? I have lyn and Serra as my spot pass teams and someone else is saying they got mathew and hector?

Chrom

You've misunderstood.

Panne needs to be a level 10 Taguel to use a second seal and change to unpromoted classes. Level 10 of an unpromoted class is also the general requirement for using the second seal at all.

If you use it at level 30, in any class that goes up to that level, you get the chance to change straight to any promoted classes that the character can access. For standard characters who don't have classes that go up to lvl 30, you need to be at 10+ of a promoted class to change straight to other promoted classes.

Oh, I see now. What's special about level 30 for special classes is that's when reclassing a special class allows for the promoted class options in addition to the unpromoted ones that would be available at 10+. I believe I already knew this but was just remembering incorrectly. You're definitely right now that you mention it.

TWILT

Banned
Oh shit, I just got Lyn.

I beat Hector earlier. Most of my units are level 10+ in their promoted classes, so it wasn't really that hard beating him lol.

Doorman

...I just suddenly became nervous. Does anybody know what the order of release was for SpotPass characters when the Japanese version of the game came out? The fact that they started with FE7 makes me wonder if they'll only be releasing the localized Fire Emblem characters in other territories.

...I just suddenly became nervous. Does anybody know what the order of release was for SpotPass characters when the Japanese version of the game came out? The fact that they started with FE7 makes me wonder if they'll only be releasing the localized Fire Emblem characters in other territories.

I believe that someone found the localized names of some characters from games that weren't released in English that are spotpass characters so I assume we'll be getting them all.

Chrom

I believe that someone found the localized names of some characters from games that weren't released in English that are spotpass characters so I assume we'll be getting them all.

Yeah, I remember that. I wouldn't worry about any SpotPass characters getting axed.

As for the difference of order, it's probably just redone to appeal more appropriately to Western audiences. I think it makes sense for them to kick off with what is perhaps the most familiar cast to Western players, rather than beginning with characters from Gaiden or Thracia 776.

CronoShot

Fuuuuuuck. Just talked to the guy at Gamestop, they haven't gotten anything FE related in. I preordered the bundle, so I figured maybe that wouldn't have the delay, but no such luck.

Stupid Nintendo.

Yeah, I remember that. I wouldn't worry about any SpotPass characters getting axed.

As for the difference of order, it's probably just redone to appeal more appropriately to Western audiences. I think it makes sense for them to kick off with what is perhaps the most familiar cast to Western players, rather than beginning with characters from Gaiden or Thracia 776.

Well the first group in Japan, was FE4 characters, one of the more popular games there. So they are probably choosing what would likely be more popular here.

NeonZ

If they were just skipping non localized games, we'd have started with the Shadow Dragon team. They clearly choose to start with FE7 due to its popularity. Also, characters from non localized games are still in the DLC maps and still have weapons named after them, so it'd make no sense to cut them from spotpass.

Can i grind with the future DLC chapters? I am kind of OCD in these games and want all my characters to be amazing. So much so that i stop using someone as soon as they max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom