• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitmon

Do you get EXP from fighting the Spotpass teams? Or just the opportunity to recruit?

I haven't fought them yet, but I would assume you gain XP like any other skirmish. There is an option to pay the character to join instead of fighting. Not sure how recruiting goes in battle though.

I own Fire Emblem: SS due to the ambassador program, but haven't gone through it yet. If I get Awakening and play it first, will I enjoy Sacred Stones less?
I'm debating whether I should go through Awakening with the rest of the early buyers or if I should just wait...

KarmaCow

Haven't played enough of this partly due to lack of time and mostly due me being terrible at the game but the critical animations so far have been really lame.

I own Fire Emblem: SS due to the ambassador program, but haven't gone through it yet. If I get Awakening and play it first, will I enjoy Sacred Stones less?
I'm debating whether I should go through Awakening with the rest of the early buyers or if I should just wait...

There'll just be some features you wish were in the game and such. It's still a good game on its own, though the easiest GBA FE though.

Well, looks like my friend's crisis has been averted. They translated Sigurd into Sigurd and not Siglud. Wait what... Seliph?

I'll never get used to Seliph.

And Leif, although I like that one better than Leaf, TBH.

That's ok-ish. Too used to Leaf though.

Javier

There's nothing wrong with starting with Awakening, and I actually recommend it since it's very beginner-friendly. If it peaks your interest, then you should definitely try out the other entries, but you should go with the mindset that all of them have less features than this game. Although you probably should avoid FE1, 2 and 3 since they haven't aged quite well, but all of them from FE4 onwards are great games on their own right and for the time they were made.

Mupod

Chapter 8 and Paralogue 3 spoilers:
is there anyway to save the three villagers in Ch 8?

I did it on my second try. Wasn't particularly difficult, one of them will probably eat a hit from a risen knight but you can heal him up. I don't think I have anything particularly special going on with my team, but I did have several very mobile units.

Just pay attention to enemy unit movement ranges and kill the ones that could reach the villagers on the next turn.
I don't know if you need to talk to them with Chrom or not but I did, make sure you clear all the enemies on the far left side of the map because that's where they exit.

You get:
an item that permanently raises hp by 5, and two pointless novelty weapons (log, frying pan). Not 100% sure about the frying pan, but when I beat it with 2 alive I got the stat item and the log. But the interesting thing is that when I finished it with all 3 alive, 3 Annas with great shop inventories showed up on the map. Maybe a coincidence?

Kuusoge

Well looks like I'll most likely have to get it digitally. Best buy backordered my order a few days ago but then sent me an email saying it was a mistake. I just got another email saying that it is now backordered again. It just seems to be my local store, as the other nearby best buys will have it in stock.

chrono01

So I'm currently leveling all of my characters to Level 10 [at least] before I progress. I'm on Chapter 6 and purchasing Reeking Boxes, completing the map, and then selling the Bullions to gain 500 Gold per battle. It's working out well [and I'm building Support!].

Donnel though...how the hell do I level him? I tried Pairing him up with another, but he rarely attacks. When I try to attack on his own he does little damage and if he's attacked he's lucky to survive one round. I've heard he has good growths, but that doesn't matter when he's as fragile as he is. -_-

So I'm currently leveling all of my characters to Level 10 [at least] before I progress. I'm on Chapter 6 and purchasing Reeking Boxes, completing the map, and then selling the Bullions to gain 500 Gold per battle. It's working out well [and I'm building Support!].

Donnel though...how the hell do I level him? I tried Pairing him up with another, but he rarely attacks. When I try to attack on his own he does little damage and if he's attacked he's lucky to survive one round. I've heard he has good growths, but that doesn't matter when he's as fragile as he is. -_-

Sounds like you should forge him a strong weapon and feed him kills

ohlawd

Sounds like you should forge him a strong weapon and feed him kills

lol I didn't think about forging a legit weapon and giving it to Donnel. Dammit, all that time wasted. Then again, I haven't forged a single thing in this game and I'm on my 2nd playthrough now >_>

I trained Donny by letting him pair up with a unit that gives him a lot of strength like The Vaike
moar liek The Boulder m i rite or wat?
then I'd get my other units to weaken some enemies and let him finish them off.

Donnel is a piece of work. He starts off weak but when he finally gets decent Strength and Speed stats, he starts cleaning house.

chrono01

Thanks guys [and/or gals]. I'll give it some more work tomorrow!

I didn't even think about Forging, that's a definite possibility [or the weaking/finishing off strategy]. At the very least I'm building Support/Gold along the way. >:)

Prax

There'll just be some features you wish were in the game and such. It's still a good game on its own, though the easiest GBA FE though.

I'll never get used to Seliph.

That's ok-ish. Too used to Leaf though.
At least it's not Serlis?
I liked Celice, but I guess it's a little girly and too much like Celica.
Seliph is not much more masculine, but.. ehhh.. xD I guess.. it works..
I've always thought of Leif as Leif, I think. Though I guess Leaf would describe how wimpy and sucky-lord-syndrome he is. >_>

I only play about a chapter a day. :I Some of you guys will finish the game before me even though I'll have had it a week early!

Koodo

Banned
Sumia and Cordelia paired up, both with the Galeforce skill, are deadly. Often they can clock out three units per turn.

So does the game go live on the e-shop at 12pm in each time zone, or just in one time zone while the others get it at an odd time? I can't wait!

Thanks guys [and/or gals]. I'll give it some more work tomorrow!

I didn't even think about Forging, that's a definite possibility [or the weaking/finishing off strategy]. At the very least I'm building Support/Gold along the way. >:)

Combine both for best results. With a stronger weapon, other units don't have to waste as much effort feeding kills to him.

Symphonic

Well looks like I'll most likely have to get it digitally. Best buy backordered my order a few days ago but then sent me an email saying it was a mistake. I just got another email saying that it is now backordered again. It just seems to be my local store, as the other nearby best buys will have it in stock.

I got a couple of these emails as well, they told me to just ignore the back order status, may be the same for you. That better be the case or I'm going to be upset.

I mean, what the fuck? The whole point of pre-ordering is to avoid backorders.

Man, I really hope NoA does a popularity poll like they did in Japan and uses the results for some new DLC. It's always such a shame the North American counterparts don't do more of those types of things.

Prax

For anyone doing Hard, how hard is it to come by funds? Do you have enough are are you just barely surviving with what you have?

If you grind the random enemy maps, you will always have money. xD
Just try grinding the lower level maps. enemies are always carrying a bouillon or two somewhere in there (you sell those for money).
Most of my money is spent buying Master Seals when they go on sale. >_>

Ah, my first real RNG screw over of Awakening. My Chrom got an awesome 7 point level up, but then Vaike decides to bite it in the next turn. So, restart, and then when Chrom gets that same level again, a whopping 2 point increase. Thanks RNG. :/

Mr. Fix

Ah, my first real RNG screw over of Awakening. My Chrom got an awesome 7 point level up, but then Vaike decides to bite it in the next turn. So, restart, and then when Chrom gets that same level again, a whopping 2 point increase. Thanks RNG. :/

Vaike can't tank as well as I would have liked him to. Dude dishes out damage like a boss though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Man, I really hope NoA does a popularity poll like they did in Japan and uses the results for some new DLC. It's always such a shame the North American counterparts don't do more of those types of things.
America only has knowledge of a handful of FE characters so unless they are looking for FE7->, I would say no.
Yes, I know FE fans would know otherwise.

Rarutos

America only has knowledge of a handful of FE characters so unless they are looking for FE7->, I would say no.
Yes, I know FE fans would know otherwise.

The popularity poll he's referring to covered Awakening characters only. They pretty much used the top picked characters and gave them special scenes in the DLC.

Lusankya

The popularity poll he's referring to covered Awakening characters only. They pretty much used the top picked characters and gave them special scenes in the DLC.

Indeed. The top two children characters of each gender have their own CGs in the DLC chapter "Secret Spa of Bonds" and the top two parent characters of each gender have their own CGs in "Summer of Bonds".

Just try grinding the lower level maps. enemies are always carrying a bouillon or two somewhere in there (you sell those for money).

Why are they called "bouillon"? I mean it's very strange to sell soup to get loads of gold.

Edit: Oh, it's supposed to be "bullion". :D Now it makes sense.

NeonZ

So if I play the Spotpass chapters, is my team going to be overpowered?

Depends. The level of the spotpass characters can vary wildly. If you attempt to get them by beating them in battle, they should never be too overpowered, but hiring them for gold can result in overpowered characters joining fairly early.

Are the Spotpass chapters separate from the additional skirmishes that you can grind on the main map? Or are they the same thing?

"Spotpass chapters"? Those are different from skirmishes, and closer to the paralogue chapters, if that's really what you're talking about. However, those are separate from the content related to legacy characters.

If you're talking about the spotpass skirmishes to get the legacy characters, then those encounters are similar to streetpass ones, and, yes, they can be used as skirmishes... outside of Lunatic. In Lunatic, spotpass battles don't give experience. DLC does work as usual though.

eznark

Banned
So is this unlocking for DL at midnight? Is that how they normally do it? I thought Nintendo usually do their big releases on Sundays.

Chrom

So is this unlocking for DL at midnight? Is that how they normally do it? I thought Nintendo usually do their big releases on Sundays.

Nintendo doesn't think it is a big release, I suppose.

As soon as it's Monday at Eastern time, it can be downloaded from the eShop.

Depends. The level of the spotpass characters can vary wildly. If you attempt to get them by beating them in battle, they should never be too overpowered, but hiring them for gold can result in overpowered characters joining fairly early.

"Spotpass chapters"? Those are different from skirmishes, and closer to the paralogue chapters, if that's really what you're talking about. However, those are separate from the content related to legacy characters.

If you're talking about the spotpass skirmishes to get the legacy characters, then those encounters are similar to streetpass ones, and, yes, they can be used as skirmishes... outside of Lunatic. In Lunatic, spotpass battles don't give experience. DLC does work as usual though.

I don't think I've had any spotpass chapters. I've encountered random skirmishes, other players spotpass teams ( who you can recruit, fight or buy stuff from), there's legacy characters I've gotten from the bonus box, and the eshop dlc chapter...so far.

Nohar

I think I'll have to avoid this topic. Just reading it reminds me too much how much this game is gonna be awesome, and that I won't be able to play it until this darn april month.

... And I may have to choose between the French or the English european version if it's not multi-langage. Sure, French is my birth langage, but after a while I just got used to play games in english.

Oh well. I guess I'll play FE7 again (which is to me the best FE title released in the EU, hands down). And Pokemon Black 2. And wait for Virtue's Last reward (just finished "999" yesterday actually, with all the endings viewed : best surprise of this year, I really regret that I didn't buy and play it earlier).

To stay on-topic, I have new a question (by the way, thank you very much for answering my question a few pages back) : how much supports a character can have with others ? Is it like FE7/FE8/FE9, where each characters can only have 5 supports conversations (which mean you can only have 1 rank A support with a character, and then 1 rank B support, or 2 rank C ones) ?

Chrom

To stay on-topic, I have new a question (by the way, thank you very much for answering my question a few pages back) : how much supports a character can have with others ? Is it like FE7/FE8/FE9, where each characters can only have 5 supports conversations (which mean you can only have 1 rank A support with a character, and then 1 rank B support, or 2 rank C ones) ?

There's no arbitrary support limit in this game. Everyone can have an A support with everyone who they can support with, and are limited to one S support if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom