• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm playing through the demo:

Blast through Normal

Takes two tries to clear Hard without losing a unit

GET SLAUGHTERED AND LOSE FIRST ROUND EACH TIME I TRY LUNATIC

wtf is this sorcery?!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm playing through the demo:

Blast through Normal

Takes two tries to clear Hard without losing a unit

GET SLAUGHTERED AND LOSE FIRST ROUND EACH TIME I TRY LUNATIC

wtf is this sorcery?!

This is life.
This is death.
This is Fire Emblem.

I've played and been decent at each Western Fire Emblem, but Lunatic is beyond me. Losing on the first turn of the first map NO MATTER WHAT I DO, Lunatic really is a befitting name.

Soriku

If Lunatic is a difficulty meant for "true Fire Emblem masters" (according to Iwata Asks) then what is Lunatic+?

Roto13

Kawaiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!

image.php

If Lunatic is a difficulty meant for "true Fire Emblem masters" (according to Iwata Asks) then what is Lunatic+?

Self hating Fire Emblem masters.

So is normal actually the normal difficulty, or is it just the name used for what is really the "easy" difficulty? Like is a regular player supposed to actually start on hard?

Anteo

So is normal actually the normal difficulty, or is it just the name used for what is really the "easy" difficulty? Like is a regular player supposed to actually start on hard?

The real normal is a dificulty between Normal and Hard. It is weird like that

I know this is going to sound weird, but I prefer the pre-GBA style difficulty where it wasn't about insane stats, but crazy scenarios needed to accomplish tasks. Recruiting Xavier in FE5 is still a bitch today. What made the scenario hard isn't because the enemies were strong, but because it took a lot of thought and planning to accomplish your goals.

Doorman

Did anything at all feel like it was missing or held back for the DLC?

The DLC and SpotPass stuff are all side-missions that add recruitable classic characters, but none of the paid DLC stuff is necessary to the story and aside from a special job class or two, nothing that you could really say "should" have been a part of the main game in the first place.

In fact, in the Iwata Asks for the game, they specifically mention being concerned with packing the game with as much as possible to prevent that consideration.

Roman

I know this is going to sound weird, but I prefer the pre-GBA style difficulty where it wasn't about insane stats, but crazy scenarios needed to accomplish tasks. Recruiting Xavier in FE5 is still a bitch today. What made the scenario hard isn't because the enemies were strong, but because it took a lot of thought and planning to accomplish your goals.

I respect your sentiment but did you really have to use that example? ._.

Firemind

I like them all but it's hard to agree with this. I guess every FE is somebody's favorite. Maybe even Gaiden.

FE6 has a couple of things going for it:
1. Reinforcements actually ambush you instead of being sitting targets. They fixed it in the DS games, but those have awful art styles;
2. Growth rates are fair. All the subsequent games have outrageous growths. It makes maxing stats super easy. PoR even allowed soft resets.
3. Roy is easily killed until he promotes. Like chess, the king piece should be one of the weakest pieces. It makes tactical decisions far more engaging. Ephraim and Ike are so awesome that it's almost impossible to get a game over.
4. You can use the legendary weapons for quite a number of chapters, unlike FE7 where you have to wait until the last chapter.
5. The exaggerated art style and battle animations, which the older FEs don't have.
6. Dieck x Clarine x Rutger: the most awesome support triangle to ever grace the series.
7. Alternate endings.
8. Roy's our boy! Seriously, what a pimp. Six possible pairings, seven if you include Guinnevere.

Anyone had any luck with finding this game at a Best Buy? I need my waifu action!

Is the game released yet or not? I thought it was Monday, but two Gamestops told me that there is no street date and they can sell as soon as they get their shipment. Is this true? Can I roll into a store somewhere today and buy this?

Ponn

Banned
Hey question for anyone who may have got a 3ds bundle with game pre installed. Do you still get the games club nintendo points and the systems or just the systems? Not a deal breaker just wondering, going to run down to gamestop and preorder my FE bundle today.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is the game released yet or not? I thought it was Monday, but two Gamestops told me that there is no street date and they can sell as soon as they get their shipment. Is this true? Can I roll into a store somewhere today and buy this?

My local GS told me that they did get a memo declaring the street date gone, but that they likely won't get their shipment in until Tuesday/Wednesday.

I checked a few other boards, and most are saying that though the online Best Buy thing says 2/1, their stores are still saying Monday-locked on their registers.

So the Best Buy thing appears to be a YMMV, but I wouldn't bet on getting it til Monday barring unusual circumstances.

Still going to check Best Buy later today, though.

Esura

Banned
I went with magic. He and Tharja, who I made a Dark Knight are actually capable of fulfilling the tank roles in my party.

That sounds pretty nice. How do you set yourself for magic? I noticed you can pick what your best and worst element is in the creation set up.

I like them all but it's hard to agree with this. I guess every FE is somebody's favorite. Maybe even Gaiden.

I'll like to meet such a person.

FE6 has a couple of things going for it:
1. Reinforcements actually ambush you instead of being sitting targets. They fixed it in the DS games, but those have awful art styles;
2. Growth rates are fair. All the subsequent games have outrageous growths. It makes maxing stats super easy. PoR even allowed soft resets.
3. Roy is easily killed until he promotes. Like chess, the king piece should be one of the weakest pieces. It makes tactical decisions far more engaging. Ephraim and Ike are so awesome that it's almost impossible to get a game over.
4. You can use the legendary weapons for quite a number of chapters, unlike FE7 where you have to wait until the last chapter.
5. The exaggerated art style and battle animations, which the older FEs don't have.
6. Dieck x Clarine x Rutger: the most awesome support triangle to ever grace the series.
7. Alternate endings.
8. Roy's our boy! Seriously, what a pimp. Six possible pairings, seven if you include Guinnevere.

FE6 really did highlighted the importance of supports since almost no one can solo things on their own, making the bonuses from supports a whole lot more important. It also had the alternative routes which resulted in recruiting different characters depending on which route you went on.

Nohar

So, every difficulty modes who were present in the japanese version of the game are still there in the US version ? Nothing removed so far ?

Damn I really want this game but I hate the XL colors. The bundle color is really nice but its not XL:(

I guess its a sign to not get so I can focus on school, hopefully some darker colors will get announced soon. Looking at gameplay really isn't helping either...

Socreges

Banned
I'd be interested in seeing one of the first few chapters being played (and beaten) on Lunatic+. I guess there aren't any videos out there quite yet?

Even though I've known it to be advantageous in previous games to group your units together, seeing the little hearts pop up is a surprisingly significant incentive to do that as often as possible.

Chrom

So, every difficulty modes who were present in the japanese version of the game are still there in the US version ? Nothing removed so far ?

They didn't mess with the difficulty in any way as far as I know. Everything is intact.

Soriku

Are there characters in this game that are generally accepted as top-of-the-line amongst all of them? Besides MU, Chrom, and Morgan I guess. I'm one of those RPG gamers that like to have my party composed of the absolute best party members, so having all these potential options makes me confused about who I should pick.

chrono01

Lyn's spotpass is out? You could still parley with them, and just dismiss them from the menu that pops up. You don't have to fight them.

Yeah, Lyn was the one I received. Thanks for letting me know about the ability to Dismiss them, but I already discovered that for myself [the things one discovers whilst adventuring!]. :)

It will be a while before I battle/recruit her, though. She's pretty powerful for me at the moment, and she comes with a lot of backup. >_<

Question regarding Spotpass. Is everybody getting
Serra
? Curious if the character you get is random.

As mentioned earlier, I received Lyn, so it appears to be random [with the warriors having varying Levels].

I will need to grind some more experience if I am to best her in battle...

BTW, this game is highly addictive, you have been warned. I was up until 3:30AM again this morning playing it. That doesn't happen often for me, and even despite the late hour [and my eyes burning with fatigue], I still wanted to play more.

okay i'm really starting to get excited for this

I really hope Gamestop has my copy on Tuesday. I'm going out on Tuesday instead of Monday to save time and money, since I'll be picking up Sly 4 that day...

Chrom

Are there characters in this game that are generally accepted as top-of-the-line amongst all of them? Besides MU, Chrom, and Morgan I guess. I'm one of those RPG gamers that like to have my party composed of the absolute best party members, so having all these potential options makes me confused about who I should pick.

I don't think there's a consensus on who's the best of the best besides the characters you mentioned, plus another character who's really obvious.

hitmon

Yeah, Lyn was the one I received. Thanks for letting me know about the ability to Dismiss them, but I already discovered that for myself [the things one discovers whilst adventuring!]. :)

It will be a while before I battle/recruit her, though. She's pretty powerful for me at the moment, and she comes with a lot of backup. >_<

As mentioned earlier, I received Lyn, so it appears to be random [with the warriors having varying Levels].

I will need to grind some more experience if I am to best her in battle...

BTW, this game is highly addictive, you have been warned. I was up until 3:30AM again this morning playing it. That doesn't happen often for me, and even despite the late hour [and my eyes burning with fatigue], I still wanted to play more.

I know that feeling. This game has already met my high expectations and I'm only on Ch 6 or so. It seems like I'm a bit rusty though as my units die and I have to restart.

Mr. Fix

That sounds pretty nice. How do you set yourself for magic? I noticed you can pick what your best and worst element is in the creation set up.

I went with + Mag and - Luck. Oddly enough, my Avatar doesn't have to worry about crits either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom