• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the DLC dependent on the main campaign? For example, are you supposed to play DLC pack 1 at a certain point in the campaign before your team is too powerful? How is the difficulty of the DLC balanced?

Because I'd like to run the whole campaign without extra DLC or skirmishes, so I can keep a good, balanced challenge. But then I might buy all the DLC as a block, and play that as a second campaign. Would that work? Or do you have to play the DLC in tandem to the main campaign?

Roto13

As a Sage, she's my most powerful unit. Already 20/8 by Chapter 10 and he's doubling everything for at least 50 damage total.

I turned Ricken into a save and still mostly rely on Maribelle for healing. She hasn't even class changed yet.

Lissa's at like level 8 :p

TWILT

Banned
I just beat the game. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Now, I feel kinda empty that it's over. :(

Got the ending where
my avatar chose to kill Grima himself instead of having Chrom deal the final blow. I thought it was kind of sad at first, but the ending cutscene brought a smile to my face.

Oh well, guess I'll do another playthrough tomorrow. Maybe I'll do the female avatar next and marry Lon'qu. On the other hand, I kinda want to marry someone else this time. Decisions, decisions...
Still <3 Cherche though.

tauroxd

So, in how many hours is the game gonna be available on the eShop? (I need to know in hoy many hours, because I'm not in the USA and don't know what time zone nintendo uses, and yes I can buy the game)

EDIT: I googled it now that I saw that you guys are using EST as the time zone and is going to be available less than 5 hours.

Roto13

So, in how many hours is the game gonna be available on the eShop? (I need to knwo in hoy mane hours, because I'm not in the USA and don'w know what time zone nintendo uses, and yes I can buy the game)

Five. Minus 18 or whatever minutes.

entremet

What a fun demo. Never played this series. Awakening will be my first game in the series. Here's to it's success in the west.

Hale-XF11

I just realized that some 3DS demos come with a manual, but unfortunately the demo for this game doesn't. I was hoping to read through it before midnight to get a better understanding of the game play mechanics and what not.

Eusis

Doesn't Nintendo typically use PST for everything?
I think it's different here since it's meant to be timed with when you could get a game in the US at all if they did midnight launches (we'll be lucky with a NOON launch though), and I do prefer this as it gets me the game early, but also because it doesn't really seem fair to force east coasters to wait until 3 AM to play a game just because they're going DD rather than retail.

Roto13

Ha ha ha, Paralogue 13.
Yeah, that's right, I'll take ALL you bitches on. There's 43 of you? Fuck if I care. BRING IT!

Marriage chart achieved.

Chrom x Olivia
Robin x Cordelia
Virion x Panne
Stahl x Lissa
Kellam x Tharja
Donnel x Nowi
Lon'qu x Cherche
Ricken x Maribelle
Gaius x Sumia
Libera x Miriel
Henry x Sully

Frederick, Vaike and Gregor are my single studs, spared from the breeding farm. Their epic manlove will sustain them.

Well then. That's kind of creepy.
Robin(s) gettin' freaky.

Jarsonot

So I think I'd probably reset all the time if I played normal mode and somebody died or I got bad level-ups. Playing casual would alleviate the death problem anyway...

And there's no difference whatsoever between casual and normal? No missed cutscenes, or penalties or anything?

Do any of you play on normal and still reset a lot, even though there's a casual mode available? I just sort of feel that if you're going to do it, do it right and don't reset at all. Take your lumps and roll with it, or play casual, right?

I mean what's the point of NOT playing casual if you're just resetting all the time?

My "bed time" for work is 10:00PM EST (I have to be up at 6:00AM) and even if I stayed up until midnight I wouldn't have any time to play it.

Fuck responsibilities urgf

NeonZ

I mean what's the point of NOT playing casual if you're just resetting all the time?

Even if you reset, classic and casual result in different strategies and ways to play. Casual allows the player to sacrifice their own units to take down the enemy, and that either isn't possible at all in Classic, if you reset, or will have heavy consequences, if you don't reset. Either way, that change by itself can make the game significantly harder.

So I think I'd probably reset all the time if I played normal mode and somebody died or I got bad level-ups. Playing casual would alleviate the death problem anyway...

And there's no difference whatsoever between casual and normal? No missed cutscenes, or penalties or anything?

Do any of you play on normal and still reset a lot, even though there's a casual mode available? I just sort of feel that if you're going to do it, do it right and don't reset at all. Take your lumps and roll with it, or play casual, right?

The challenge is getting through the battle without losing anyone. If someone dies, you take your lumps and start again.

Playing casual skips that since you don't lose anyone, but to me that's not meeting the challenge of completing the stage "perfectly".

Doorman

It's the "pursuit of the perfect battle." If you play casual and screw up, you aren't penalized for it all that much. On the other hand, if you lose a unit you really like in classic mode, then you'd want to do the mission over again now that you have a better understanding of what tactics are and aren't effective.

I'd say the point is to challenge yourself to come up with better strategies to avoid those deaths. That's why I've always reset upon a death in Fire Emblem.

Jarsonot

I suppose I can understand that, and yeah, there is a difference between resetting and finishing a level "perfectly" versus continuing and just ignoring death because it doesn't matter.

Thanks, guys - normal mode it is!

Ackkk I need to play this game, last time I played a good Srpg on a portable was Jeanne d'Arc on the PSP. Oh, I got a quick question. So, if I play the normal mode and one of my secondary characters die, do I miss story sections or maybe secondary quests? Thanks!

ohlawd

I suppose I can understand that, and yeah, there is a difference between resetting and finishing a level "perfectly" versus continuing and just ignoring death because it doesn't matter.

Thanks, guys - normal mode it is!

You mean Classic?

I wish this would have gone up on the eshop early since this superbowl is a snooze fest.

I only tuned in for Beyonce :D
Freaked the hell out when Michelle and Kelly showed up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hmm, the only thing stopping me from downloading this game is that awesome sprite art on the cartridge. Is America going to have that, too?

original.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alright, sweet! Looks like it will be worth it to search for the game in stores tomorrow, then.

Ackkk I need to play this game, last time I played a good Srpg on a portable was Jeanne d'Arc on the PSP. Oh, I got a quick question. So, if I play the normal mode and one of my secondary characters die, do I miss story sections or maybe secondary quests? Thanks!

Depending on who dies, you might miss out on sidequests which leads to missing out on recuriting some characters.

Depending on who dies, you might miss out on sidequests which leads to missing out on recuriting some characters.

Thanks for the answer. Damn lol. Im thinking about Hard/Casual to start it then, played the demo a couple of time and lost one unit already on hard during the second mission -_-

Chrom

Is the DLC dependent on the main campaign? For example, are you supposed to play DLC pack 1 at a certain point in the campaign before your team is too powerful? How is the difficulty of the DLC balanced?

Because I'd like to run the whole campaign without extra DLC or skirmishes, so I can keep a good, balanced challenge. But then I might buy all the DLC as a block, and play that as a second campaign. Would that work? Or do you have to play the DLC in tandem to the main campaign?

Each and every one of the DLC maps have their own individual difficulty level, which is then scaled according to your file's difficulty level, with the exception of the absolute final DLC. They're played within your file akin to sidequest chapters.

You need to finish Chapter 4 to access the Outrealm Gate (where you purchase the DLC), but there's no prerequisite for needing to reach a certain point in the story to play any DLC released.

You know, I'm hoping to actually get a level up chime as my ringtone, partially to celebrate the release, and partially because why not. Does anyone have a really good quality rip or anything from the game? I might see if I can't just record one off the demo here in a minute, but if anyone's just got a rip of the file that'd work awesomely.

Chrom

You know, I'm hoping to actually get a level up chime as my ringtone, partially to celebrate the release, and partially because why not. Does anyone have a really good quality rip or anything from the game? I might see if I can't just record one off the demo here in a minute, but if anyone's just got a rip of the file that'd work awesomely.

It's definitely possible to get a rip of it but I don't know anyone who's ever bothered to do that. Would make for a nice ringtone though, haha.

Man, that reminds me that for one of my old phones, I had FE6's recruiting theme as my ringtone. I think I literally had to record it but it was a nice ringtone.

I'm redownloading the demo, I'm gonna see if I can get it to play the chime with music off, hook it into my line in, and record it in Audacity. Hopefully that'll work.

I'm not familiar with all of Gaf's rules (or really any, the FAQ didn't say too much and it seems there's a lot of word of mouth ones), if it works what site would be acceptable to host it on for people to download it for themselves?

Dropbox maybe?

EDIT: I'm retarded. The game icon on the homescreen is the chime!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Marriage chart achieved.

Chrom x Olivia
Robin x Cordelia
Virion x Panne
Stahl x Lissa
Kellam x Tharja
Donnel x Nowi
Lon'qu x Cherche
Ricken x Maribelle
Gaius x Sumia
Libera x Miriel
Henry x Sully

Frederick, Vaike and Gregor are my single studs, spared from the breeding farm. Their epic manlove will sustain them.

Robin(s) gettin' freaky.

For me, so far it's..

Chrom x Sumia
Ricken x Panne
Donnel x Nowi
Vaike x Maribelle
Libra x Tharja

I'm not sure who I'll choose myself (male). Sully, and Lissa are both available for S rank right now. I'm building up Anna right now even though
she doesn't have offspring herself
. I might see how the child characters turn out before I make my decision. And even though it's the worse route to go I want to do a playthrough where Chrom
ends up with a random village girl.

Chrom

I'm redownloading the demo, I'm gonna see if I can get it to play the chime with music off, hook it into my line in, and record it in Audacity. Hopefully that'll work.

I'm not familiar with all of Gaf's rules (or really any, the FAQ didn't say too much and it seems there's a lot of word of mouth ones), if it works what site would be acceptable to host it on for people to download it for themselves?

Dropbox maybe?

I think Dropbox would be fine. If nothing else, upload it on YouTube if you have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom