• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
So this game turned out alright, huh?

Guess I will have to get it then even though I don't have time.

The things I put up with.

Roto13

Aside from Harvest Moon, I can't think of any other game where I've spent a significant amount of time grinding for love.

cjkeats

Is it just me or is Miriel a terrible unit? Really crappy growths and her starting stats weren't great. Should I bother using her early on? I benched someone else in favour of her and am not sure why now.

She's been pretty slow for me too. Replaced her with Ricken when he showed up, haven't looked back.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So far I've married the Chrom and Sumai, which seems like the canon pairing. And I've paired Ricken with
Panne. Haha.. seems more like a really strong friendship than a marriage. Really, Ricken seems like whoever he went with would be hilarious.

She's been pretty slow for me too. Replaced her with Ricken when he showed up, haven't looked back.

Indeed, Ricken blew by her in terms of power right away, although she had far better speed for me. I kept using Miriel too, because her support conversations are some of the best.

Chrom

A block is only 128 KB, so it should easily fit on a 2 GB card.

Oh, good point. If I did my math right with the assumption that all 25 DLC's are 30 blocks, then it should all only take up around 100MB, which is barely anything on a 2GB card.

For what I understand, all the DLC put together amounts to 150MB aprox.

I see. Case in point, yeah, a 2GB card could hold all of the DLC easily.

Roto13

I want Gregor to be better than he is. Because he's awesome. "Gregor ees on job."

I love Russians. Can't wait for Boris in Metal Gear Rising.

jackal27

Banned
Man, I am REALLY hoping to be able to find this either at Wal-Mart at midnight or somewhere else tomorrow morning. Target's ad today said that the game won't be available until Wednesday and that makes me super nervous...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I want Gregor to be better than he is. Because he's awesome. "Gregor ees on job."

I love Russians. Can't wait for Boris in Metal Gear Rising.

His growth rates are actually pretty good. Better than Sully all around, but he's not a hot red head, so people will use him less. Really there doesn't seem to be any really terrible characters and reclassing will 'fix' any bad RNG rolls.

Roto13

His growth rates are actually pretty good. Better than Sully all around, but he's not a hot red head, so people will use him less. Really there doesn't seem to be any really terrible characters and reclassing will 'fix' any bad RNG rolls.

He seems to go down pretty quick for me. Maybe I'm unlucky. I haven't been paying that much attention to stat increases at level up.

Nohar

If there's something to avoid at all cost when playing a FE title, it's reading the growth rates of each character. It just strips them of their mystery, their magic, and push the players to get rid of the units who don't meet theirs standards. And, well, the RNG God(dess) can make any unit an invincible badass, or a weak slowpoke. Thus, it's just best to play the units who you like.

... And drop the ones that, inevitably, are just too bad to be useful. Leonardo, I'm looking at you.

Socreges

Banned
If there's something to avoid at all cost when playing a FE title, it's reading the growth rates of each character. It just strips them of their mystery, their magic, and push the players to get rid of the units who don't meet theirs standards. And, well, the RNG God(dess) can make any unit an invincible badass, or a weak slowpoke. Thus, it's just best to play the units who you like.

... And drop the ones that, inevitably, are just too bad to be useful. Leonardo, I'm looking at you.
When playing on Hard and Lunatic, it can make each map even more difficult if you're not paying attention to growth rates to some extent.

And for me if a character has to be babied or doesn't help on offense, I tend not to like them. Their dialogue completely betrays the fact that they're not contributing anything to the "Shepherds" :p

Leonardo isn't too bad, especially when he's available you are hurting for units. Some of the other units in the game wishes they had the availability that he has.

And looking at the growth rates only gives an estimate of how good they'll be. Base stats also play a role. It can easily never come true. She's a cruel mistress.

Mr. Fix

I'm hoping they dish out the DLC at least twice as fast as it was released in Japan. That, and the spotpass side chapters. I can't wait 3 months for
Parion

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I don't decide who to use based on growth rates. I decide to use based on how those growth rates pan out and who I enjoy from a design stand point. It's nice to know how much you've been screwed, or how lucky you've been though. Knowing 'hidden' mechanics in games doesn't take anything away for me.

Roto13

I take back what I said about Gregor. He just massacred an entire
ship
worth of enemies and barely took a scratch doing it. GREGOR SMASH!

Mr. Fix

I take back what I said about Gregor. He just massacred an entire
ship
worth of enemies and barely took a scratch doing it. GREGOR SMASH!

What'd you promote him to? I regret having made him into a hero. I'll try switching him into a Berserker.

Also the Second Seals are awesome. Tharja was an xp hog and capped out early, so I just sent her back to level 1 without any decrease in attributes.

Roto13

What'd you promote him to? I regret having made him into a hero. I'll try switching him into a Berserker.

Also the Second Seals are awesome. Tharja was an xp hog and capped out early, so I just sent her back to level 1 without any decrease in attributes.

Right now he's a level 4 Hero. He was a level 1 Hero at the beginning of the level, though. :p He's paired up with a barely-used Cherche. I want him to have babies.

Mr. Fix

Right now he's a level 4 Hero. He was a level 1 Hero at the beginning of the level, though. :p He's paired up with a barely-used Cherche. I want him to have babies.

Damn, I wish mine were a beast. I've seen people mention that Sully wasn't good either, yet mine tanks that (with Virion).

Chrom

I'm hoping they dish out the DLC at least twice as fast as it was released in Japan. That, and the spotpass side chapters. I can't wait 3 months for
Parion

It'd be great if they did that for the DLC, yeah. There was some decent justification with the waning later on because I'm sure they were relying on that one poll's results for some of the fanservice DLC, and unless they'll redo it with a new poll (would be cool but I'm fine with keeping it as is), I see no reason why it should take as long for it to come over elsewhere.

jrcbandit

Seems like 3ds games rarely get a discount unless it is a promo like $10 off any preorder at Newegg ;p. I assume Nintendo still does not give any sort of digital discount? With DS3, DmC PC, and Ni No Kuno still to play, I just don't see any value spending $40 on FE now when I probably wont get around to playing it for another month or two.

Chrom

Seems like 3ds games rarely get a discount unless it is a promo like $10 off any preorder at Newegg ;p. I assume Nintendo still does not give any sort of digital discount? With DS3, DmC PC, and Ni No Kuno still to play, I just don't see any value spending $40 on FE now when I probably wont get around to playing it for another month or two.

Nintendo's never provided digital discounts for retail games on the eShop, no. I think it's very unlikely that any of the prices will drop, to be honest.

brinstar

So, this will pretty much be my first Fire Emblem and I see it has a casual mode that turns off perma-death. Do you guys recommend playing it this way since I'm new or does it ruin the tension?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My Sully is really good, but I've used her in pretty much every battle since I got her.

She's a defensive beast for me. I've raised her RES every chance I've had and now she can basically tank anything. But her Strength needs some patching up.

I had him waifu Nowi.

Yeah.

You monster.

Donnel and Nowi in my game.

So, this will pretty much be my first Fire Emblem and I see it has a casual mode that turns off perma-death. Do you guys recommend playing it this way since I'm new or does it ruin the tension?

You should try playing Classic, with Perma Death on. Play on Normal and see how you like it. It really does change the gameplay heavily, since you're less inclined to take big risk and gambles. You'll take on maps in an entirely different fashion, it builds tension and it adds much more strategy. If, however, you don't enjoy playing it in Classic a few chapters in, just start again on Casual. You'll already know the maps, so you'll be able to plow through them in no time.

Mr. Fix

I think you should. I mean, you'll still get screwed over by the RNG and "die", but for newcomers I'd recommend it. You get a good feel for the game on your first run. The games encourage multiple playthroughs anyway.

Roman

It kind of does ruin tension but better play that way at first to get a feel for the series than get frustrated and quit. It's really up to you.

Kazerei

Banned
I just finished the game and I have to admit, I love Casual mode. It made Hard difficulty far more enjoyable and at a good level of challenge. With permadeath, I'd reset the game if a unit died, which gets incredibly frustrating. Without permadeath, I just keep on playing, so I could actually relax and have fun.

I'm gonna start a new game, because I felt like I married the wrong person, heh.

chrono01

So I've pretty much charted out my marriages in-game:

Chrom --> Olivia
Ricken --> Tharja
Male MU -->
Noire
[For Pure Magic POWER!]
Frederick --> Sumia
Gaius --> Sully
Libera --> Lissa
Henry --> Maribelle
Donnel --> Nowi
Lon'qu --> Panne
Vaike --> Cherche
Virion --> Miriel
Stahl --> Cordelia

Now to build my Support and make it all happen. I'll have to marry Sumia and Frederick before Chapter 11, though. I've already built her relationship with Chrom to Rank A. -_-

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's too bad you can't 'divorce' couples in the after game and pair up different people. You could even write some really hilarious break up scenes and dialogue.

ohlawd

I married Lissa. I thought it would be funny to screw Chrom's sister, but her character is kinda bland. Next time I'm gonna screw
Chrom's daughter BWAHAHAHAHAHA

ahh really? I was planning on having Avatar marry Lissa for my 3rd run.

edit: she seems pretty fun after having seen her C and B Support convos.

Yeah the fact that MU can marry children is awesome if you ask me. Like, crazy awesome. Single most versatile unit in the history of anything.

Then Morgan is brought into the world with them having no siblings. Having MU marry any regularly marry-able female results in them having a sibling, but MU doesn't play by the rules! MU don't give a shit! MU marry who they want!

ohlawd

Then Morgan is brought into the world with them having no siblings. Having MU marry any regularly marry-able female results in them having a sibling, but MU doesn't play by the rules! MU don't give a shit! MU marry who they want!

goddamn, MU is the honey badger of the Fire Emblem world!

Roto13

Well then. That's kind of creepy.

How does the story account for the fact that,
say, Lucina somehow travels back in time with her battling-aged child? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom