• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

So, since you can grind in this game, is it not very problematic to get the right people matched up for marriage or do you have to be very careful from the beginning with who to match up?

Only one you have to worry about is Chrom, because
He'll propose to who ever is highest(I think) after Chapter 11, or just a random no name villager if he has no links.
For everyone else, just rank them up to S to get them hitched when ever.

Only one you have to worry about is Chrom, because
He'll propose to who ever is highest(I think) after Chapter 11, or just a random no name villager if he has no links.
For everyone else, just rank them up to S to get them hitched when ever.

Thanks, do you know if there is a "best" choice for Chrom?

Roto13

So, since you can grind in this game, is it not very problematic to get the right people matched up for marriage or do you have to be very careful from the beginning with who to match up?

It can get tough to build relationships between two weak characters later, since the random skirmishes level up as you go, but the (temporarily free) DLC helps alleviate that.

hitmon

AGITΩ;47309899 said:
Gah, Donnel, Stop Getting killed. I've restarted this stage so many times.

I have the same problem with him. Had some trouble with Sumia falling on her face before levelling her up too.

Has there been any word on how much DLC is planned for this game?

I have the same problem with him. Had some trouble with Sumia falling on her face before levelling her up too.

Has there been any word on how much DLC is planned for this game?

It's about 25 DLC chapters so far, and I don't think there are going to be any more tbh.

Thanks, do you know if there is a "best" choice for Chrom?

Sumia, Olivia or Maribelle all give access to the Peg Knight class, where you can learn Galeforce.

Olivia gives the best stats, with Sumia following. Maribelle gives the stats if you want to toss Chrom's child towards being a mage.

Socreges

Banned
Still trying to figure out the Pair Up mechanic. It's very easy, at least right now, to forget who is separating to the adjacent space. I tried to have Frederik drop off
Donnel
to the sheltered space behind him in Paralogue 1. Instead,
Donnel
dropped off Frederik!

Needless to say he died instantly.

Question: When do the hearts start appearing between adjacent units? Sometimes if I attack a unit adjacent to one of my own, I'll get the hearts indicating that the support level has gone up. Other times nothing happens. Will they eventually reach a point where they 'share hearts'?

Mr. Fix

Is this coming to the Vita?

SNq07.gif

Seriously though, it's a Nintendo title.

I am not sure what Birthday does--well, I read about it, but I forgot, so it must not be important. lol

I know on someone's birthday, if you go to the Barracks, they'll find a random item, a temp stat boost and some exp. That's about all I seen related to birthdays.

Prax

Still trying to figure out the Pair Up mechanic. It's very easy, at least right now, to forget who is separating to the adjacent space. I tried to have Frederik drop off
Donnel
to the sheltered space behind him in Paralogue 1. Instead,
Donnel
dropped off Frederik!

Needless to say he died instantly.

Question: When do the hearts start appearing between adjacent units? Sometimes if I attack a unit adjacent to one of my own, I'll get the hearts indicating that the support level has gone up. Other times nothing happens. Will they eventually reach a point where they 'share hearts'?

Only some units support one another.
The Avatar can support anyone.
MOST opposite-gender units will support one another.
But there are only SOME male-male or female-female compatible friendships. Check the support lists to see who can gain hearts.
If no hearts appear when an attack is adjacent, that means they will never become friends.

Socreges

Banned
But there are only SOME male-male or female-female compatible friendships. Check the support lists to see who can gain hearts.
If no hearts appear when an attack is adjacent, that means they will never become friends.
I really should have known that. Makes perfect sense. It's always been the same in previous Fire Emblems, yet the visible hearts somehow threw me off.

I'll definitely start paying more attention to who can support who.

zroid

Banned
Is this coming to the Vita?

I am porting it to Vita as we speak. Please be patient.

For non-compatible units, is there like a certain max support level (say, C), or will they simply never gain any support ranks?

Prax

haha seriously? had no idea from looking at it. Had never heard of the series until yesterday.

I guess this goes to show how much exposure the series is finally getting. XD
Really though, this is the 13th game in the series (not counting some downloadable satelleview one from looong ago) and 5 other ones have released in North America before it. A few characters are even in Smash Bros. Marth and Roy and Ike? You really never heard?

All right, starting here shortly. However, I haven't decided yet on Classic vs. Casual. I kinda dig the allure of fearing for my characters and tension it'll give the game. On the other hand, I play very few SRPGs and could wind up getting rocked.

Thoughts? What're most of you guys doing? Anyone have an idea of the overall difficulty(just on Normal)?

All right, starting here shortly. However, I haven't decided yet on Classic vs. Casual. I kinda dig the allure of fearing for my characters and tension it'll give the game. On the other hand, I play very few SRPGs and could wind up getting rocked.

Thoughts? What're most of you guys doing? Anyone have an idea of the overall difficulty(just on Normal)?

Permdeath and Fire Emblem are synonyms.

zroid

Banned
In case anyone's been following, the official site was updated. It has all the characters profiles now (I think), as well as the upcoming DLC list (only CoY #1 for now) and various other info.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

I've never really played one before either, I went Normal Classic. Basically the neat thing about classic is that since you don't want anyone to die, you are forced to really think about each move and keep your players out of enemy range. It's kind of fun to be pushed into using stronger players as bait, blocking units in hallways or using range and team ups effectively to keep everyone safe. I think on Casual there would be a lot less tension since you could pretty much just throw everyone at the enemy and win a battle of attrition.

It hasn't been too hard so far (Chapter 5) but it does keep you on your toes and you pay for stupid mistakes.

So wait, I just want to make sure.

You can have people have as many supports as you want, but only one S support per character? Or is it like how it's been in 7 and Sacred Stones where you get 5 ranks total?

I've never really played one before either, I went Normal Classic. Basically the neat thing about classic is that since you don't want anyone to die, you are forced to really think about each move and keep your players out of enemy range. It's kind of fun to be pushed into using stronger players as bait, blocking units in hallways or using range and team ups effectively to keep everyone safe. I think on Casual there would be a lot less tension since you could pretty much just throw everyone at the enemy and win a battle of attrition.

It hasn't been too hard so far (Chapter 5) but it does keep you on your toes and you pay for stupid mistakes.

Yeah, this definitely sounds more exciting than the Casual option. Woosh. All right. Time to start it up.

Marche90

Well, aside from an hour earlier, I haven't been able to play all that much. Why?

I lent my 3DS to my sister. About time she started to play any kind of games, and Fire Emblem is one of the very few that interested her (she played the GBA one to almost completion). 4+ hours in her gameplay clock and counting. Nice.

You can have people have as many supports as you want, but only one S support per character? Or is it like how it's been in 7 and Sacred Stones where you get 5 ranks total?

As many as you want, but only one S rank per character.

Roto13

If two people can form a relationship, they can get it up to level A. There's no set number of relationship points.

hoverX

I guess this goes to show how much exposure the series is finally getting. XD
Really though, this is the 13th game in the series (not counting some downloadable satelleview one from looong ago) and 5 other ones have released in North America before it. A few characters are even in Smash Bros. Marth and Roy and Ike? You really never heard?

I may have seen the name on a list of upcoming games or something like that but other than the DS/3DS (which i barely play) I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64.

chrono01

Ok, thanks! I just unlocked the first Support between the Tactician unit and Chrom and wanted to make sure it was ok before going all willy-nilly.

Yeah, feel free to go all-out with Supports.

If you're particular about who you want to Marry, though, stop at Rank-A. Once you "activate" the Rank-S Support conversation that's when you decide who that particular character will marry. However, since you have to physically activate the conversation yourself, you don't have to worry about "accidentally" making the choice.

Ri'Orius

So, lemme ask you folks. Should I go for perma-death or not? I ask because I'm the kind of person who would instantly restart any fight where I lose anyone, and I worry that practice would then ruin the entire game. Are there difficulty modes seperate from permadeath? If so, what would you folks suggest as a difficulty level to counterbalance the lack of permadeath?

Permadeath can be super frustrating. Battles can take a loooong time, and restarting one sucks a lot. It really changes the way you play: you have to be cautious about everything. Some people really like it; I personally hated it. Barely made it through FE7, despite loving other SRPGs (FFT, Disgaea, etc.).

I'm planning to try Hard Casual. Don't know how it'll compare to Normal Classic, but I reckon Normal Casual would be way too easy. The game is balanced around Classic, so you're expected to be able to beat every mission without losing anyone.

But at the same time, if you go Normal Casual, it's easier to handicap yourself later if it's too easy (eg, only use (N-1) characters on maps, or use all the characters instead of leveling a core team, etc.). If halfway through you find the game too hard, you've either gotta grind or restart :(

It's a tough call, no doubt.

Socreges

Banned
Permadeath can be super frustrating. Battles can take a loooong time, and restarting one sucks a lot. It really changes the way you play: you have to be cautious about everything. Some people really like it; I personally hated it. Barely made it through FE7, despite loving other SRPGs (FFT, Disgaea, etc.).

I'm planning to try Hard Casual. Don't know how it'll compare to Normal Classic, but I reckon Normal Casual would be way too easy. The game is balanced around Classic, so you're expected to be able to beat every mission without losing anyone.

But at the same time, if you go Normal Casual, it's easier to handicap yourself later if it's too easy (eg, only use (N-1) characters on maps, or use all the characters instead of leveling a core team, etc.). If halfway through you find the game too hard, you've either gotta grind or restart :(

It's a tough call, no doubt.
That's why you need to choose the appropriate difficulty level (ie, Normal or Hard). I think if you're cautious enough and plot things out, you'll rarely need to restart. I don't really mind restarting unless I'm having to do it often (which used to be the case when I didn't really know what I was doing).

Is anyone here doing a no-restart run on their first playthrough? I'd like to think that's more fun in a way, but I bet that changes when you lose your first character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom