• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyeforce

It won't matter that much. Just choose what kind of character you want your avatar to be. A mage, a sword user, a speedy guy, the tank and choose according to which stats boost what, like magic for a mage, strength for sword user, speed for speedy guy or defense for tank.

What stats to use as the strength and weakness is entirely dependant on what kind of character you want your avatar to be. He can do anything.
I guess I'm having more trouble choosing a weakness, lol. I'm afraid choosing the wrong stat is going to really cripple me in the game or something.

I guess I'm having more trouble choosing a weakness, lol. I'm afraid choosing the wrong stat is going to really cripple me in the game or something.

Well if you are focusing on one attacking stat, choosing the other as your weakness will be ok.

Either way, the weakness will just be a few less points in that stat, shouldn't be enough to extremely cripple your character.

flake

So sumia is worth sticking with? I've had to restart a couple of times because of her death, and dont want to miss out on her goofy dialogue

Got to chapter 5 on hard. I dont know how this would even be possible if i wasnt on casual.

After clearing a third of the map then having reinforcements come, i quit and restarted on normal. Fuck it, im playing for fun, not to prove myself.

Mr. Fix

So sumia is worth sticking with? I've had to restart a couple of times because of her death, and dont want to miss out on her goofy dialogue

Just pair her up with her future husband for the stat bonuses. If she's a liability you can always just use her for that purpose if you're low on units while still building up for support dialogue.

chrono01

Yes.

In Canon she's Chrom's ideal wife, although you might want to choose Olivia instead [for superior stats].

This helped me decide on my assets/flaws choice. I went with +Spd and - Mag.

I also chose SPD+ & MAG-, good lord, my Avatar is a beast! He's currently level 12 after finishing Paralogue 2:

• STR - 13
  • MAG - 9
  • SKILL - 11
  • SPD - 17
  • LCK -10
  • DEF - 10
  • RES - 5

When I pair him with my lvl 9 Sully, S ranked for hot waifu action, they destroy everything!

Raising Donny is coming along well. He's half way through lvl 9 and I pair him with Fred. Can't wait to go the popular path of Lv 15>Merc>Hero.

By the way, when do all the class change seals start popping up? I'm about to start chapter 6.

Pomegranate

Neo Member
For those who are ahead in the game, do the dialogs feel like they were written with a male protagonist in mind or do they work for both males and females? I'm thinking of having a female avatar.

stuminus3

Haha, I created a SPD+ MAG- Avatar (just based on how main characters have tended to be in the older games) and was initially annoyed that I may have screwed myself once I realised I could use magic. Turns out I made a good choice regardless?

Mr. Fix

It also matters for reclassing as there are gender specific classes.

How'd I forget this? Damn.

But yeah:

Males: Barbarians, Fighters, Berserkers, Warriors, Demon Fighters
Females: Pegasus Knights, Falcon Knights, Dark Fliers, Troubadours, Valkyries, Brides

Any outstanding benefits to M / F avatar?

As in, one gender lacking for pairings?
There are slightly more male characters than female characters in this one, so a female Robin will have the most choice for marriage. (But Robin can support with every single character in the game, so it won't make much difference.)

Besides appearance, the best thing to focus on is what class(es) you plan to make Robin and Morgan. (Morgan will always be the opposite gender of Robin.) So if you plan to make either one a gender exclusive class, thinking about that and what marriage is necessary to achieve it is important.

How'd I forget this? Damn.

But yeah:

Males: Barbarians, Fighters, Berserkers, Warriors, Demon Fighters
Females: Pegasus Knights, Falcon Knights, Dark Fliers, Troubadours, Valkyries, Brides
You forgot Villager for males.

Just caved and got this off the eShop, if I've played every FE game released in the US, do you guys think Hard would be good to start off at? I'm really considering doing this Nuzlocke style, so I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Also, I dunno if it's just my internet, but Awakening downloaded REALLY quickly for what I thought it would be. It was just over 20 minutes I think.

For those who are ahead in the game, do the dialogs feel like they were written with a male protagonist in mind or do they work for both males and females? I'm thinking of having a female avatar.

I started both a male and female file, and while most of the dialogue works with both genders, there are some changes. For example, Chrom's C-support with a male Avatar is about Avatar being worried about Chrom or something stupid, but the female C-support involves the Avatar about to kill Chrom because he accidentally insulted her a lot.

What is RES?

All of them seem obvious except for this one.

Resistance to magic.

bryehn

Where the hell are everyone's feet? DLC? The horses get hooves lol. What a weird quirk.

My save file says 3 hours, but I've played for almost twice that (Classic/Hard). I got to the last guy on Paralogue 1 and he critical'd Fredrick :/

Not looking forward to playing that map again.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
my Target has this in stock... Hnnnnnnnng

what do I do..

I enjoyed the demo but have not played a proper fire emblem before.

Do it. This is a great FE with which to hop onto the wagon.

So is the only difference between classic and casual just the permanent death thing? Are there any other changes? Also, is there any penalty at all for death in casual aside from that person not being able to finish the current battle?

Also, is there a good guide anywhere so I don't miss out on getting all the characters and stuff?

Prax

Where the hell are everyone's feet? DLC? The horses get hooves lol. What a weird quirk.

My save file says 3 hours, but I've played for almost twice that (Classic/Hard). I got to the last guy on Paralogue 1 and he critical'd Fredrick :/

Not looking forward to playing that map again.
I wish everyone would stop talking about this. STOP! XD There are feet/shoes on them. They are just very small and taper off to a point in most cases.
It's a more "chibi" style. It's just stylized that way to have nonexistent feet because it's not as important with expression of a character than something like eyes and hands are. Yes there are many other ways to stylize a chibi. Some uglier than others. They just chose this one (probably for a balance of detail, slick, and cute. Adding feet on a chibi character will add more bulk and give off a stockier look. This game is probably going for more litheness and daintiness in style).
EXAMPLE from deviantart of such a chibi:
chibi_by_serenebreeze.jpg

Anyway, let's compare stats!
My Avatar:
fe13_prax_lvl15.png

+ LUCK, - SKILL

My sib's Avatar:
fe13_raydonn_lvl14.png

+ SPEED, - STRENGTH

So is the only difference between classic and casual just the permanent death thing? Are there any other changes? Also, is there any penalty at all for death in casual aside from that person not being able to finish the current battle?

Also, is there a good guide anywhere so I don't miss out on getting all the characters and stuff?

Casual also allows you to save anywhere.

Classic only lets you suspend, so you can't abuse it.

Mr. Fix

Casual only affects perma-death and saves mid-battle. The only penalty I could think of is that the unit can't get anymore exp for the rest of the chapter.

There is a guide, but there are some spoilers. They let you know when there are unique characters in maps, and all you have to do is talk to them with Chrom. Others join automatically at the start, end, or during the chapter.

Prax

How do you take 3DS screenshots like that?

It's just with a camera phone and a steady hand (used a HTC Amaze). I edited the skew slightly in photoshop, but it's pretty good, ain't it? XD

I hear actual equipment to get direct screens costs over $100. lol

Casual only affects perma-death and saves mid-battle. The only penalty I could think of is that the unit can't get anymore exp for the rest of the chapter.

There is a guide, but there are some spoilers. They let you know when there are unique characters in maps, and all you have to do is talk to them with Chrom. Others join automatically at the start, end, or during the chapter.

I don't mind the spoilers, where can I find this guide?

Also, I'm really confused about the whole parent/child thing, is there just a simple "hey dummy, pair up these two" list so I can just get the most out of the child characters without having to worry?

So, lemme ask you folks. Should I go for perma-death or not? I ask because I'm the kind of person who would instantly restart any fight where I lose anyone, and I worry that practice would then ruin the entire game. Are there difficulty modes seperate from permadeath? If so, what would you folks suggest as a difficulty level to counterbalance the lack of permadeath?

God I've only just beaten Chapter 2 and I'm absolutely loving this game. It's taking me back to playing FE 7. It's just so good already, now I'm afraid I really won't give any other games much attention at this point.

Prax

So, lemme ask you folks. Should I go for perma-death or not? I ask because I'm the kind of person who would instantly restart any fight where I lose anyone, and I worry that practice would then ruin the entire game. Are there difficulty modes seperate from permadeath? If so, what would you folks suggest as a difficulty level to counterbalance the lack of permadeath?
Yeah, difficulty modes are separate from permadeath options.
Play hard with casual mode then if you're so concerned. --I wouldn't recommend lunatic because that's a lesson in frustration itself. lol
But restarting a chapter due to RNG failure is like.. part of the whole experience! XD

cjkeats

It's just with a camera phone and a steady hand (used a HTC Amaze). I edited the skew slightly in photoshop, but it's pretty good, ain't it? XD

I hear actual equipment to get direct screens costs over $100. lol

Can't you just save them into the notepad to the SD card and they come out in the photos?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Yeah, there are three difficulties, and then either Casual or Classic.

I don't see anything wrong with going with Normal Classic. I've heard it's not that punishing, and it gives you the chance to get some of that authentic FE flavor.

Prax

Can't you just save them into the notepad to the SD card and they come out in the photos?

I dunno how. LOL
If there is a way to get screenshots from the 3DS, I am too stupid to figure it out. Is it different if I bought the physical cartridge and not the download?
Mind you, I only got the 3DS for Fire Emblem so I haven't played with it much. XD

Mr. Fix

I don't mind the spoilers, where can I find this guide?

Also, I'm really confused about the whole parent/child thing, is there just a simple "hey dummy, pair up these two" list so I can just get the most out of the child characters without having to worry?

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/recruitment.html

For marriages and kids:

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/support.html

The ones listed in red are the support candidates for the characters on the left side of that table. Or you could just look at the support menu in the game. Any of your female units can marry a character that they could have an S-rank support with (which it should say).

Tunic

Just downloaded the game from the eShop. Went to every store that sold video games around here and none of them had stock. Glad the digital release had no hiccups. Excited to start now!

cjkeats

I dunno how. LOL
If there is a way to get screenshots from the 3DS, I am too stupid to figure it out. Is it different if I bought the physical cartridge and now the download?
Mind you, I only got the 3DS for Fire Emblem so I haven't played with it much. XD

Next to friends, theres a note section, that lets you scribble under screens shots.
I just tried it, and they export to the photos, but don't show up in my SD card when I plug it into my computer only the bottom part with the scribbles. Bummer.
I swear I thought that worked before.

So, since you can grind in this game, is it not very problematic to get the right people matched up for marriage or do you have to be very careful from the beginning with who to match up?

Edit: And is there a better or worse path for the avatar? Should I go for either a fighter or a mage for whatever reason? Or just whatever I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom