• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

That's because he's already Promoted [hence the slower XP gain].

I wouldn't abuse him too much as it will cause your other warriors to not gain the proper XP.

That makes sense. I'm using him as a defense sort of unit, so he takes all of the hits and does counter-attacks.

Just did Paralogue 2, had my first casualty and first restart because of a stupid gamble I took. Was hoping Gaius could dodge a 48% Steel Axe. Fortunately I'm playing in casual so I'll restart from the previous turn and figure out something else.

Anyway, I figured out a strategy for people who have trouble getting Sumia to survive the trip to Anna:
Have Chrom pair with her, and when Sumia gets into the range of the archer, put Chrom in the lead spot.
It also helped that Anna got some lucky criticals.

Ri'Orius

That makes sense. I'm using him as a defense sort of unit, so he takes all of the hits and does counter-attacks.

Have someone take his weapons away. Then he'll still serve as a wall, but he won't make any counterattacks, saving that sweet sweet XP for your other guys.

Solune

Anyone in Vancouver looking for the FE 3DS Bundle, I got one from the BB @ Metro, they also had a few leftover. They no longer have the game in stock, only the bundle. And as far as I know the EB @ Metro doesn't have the game in stock either.

Does anyone ever use the primary axe-wielders in these games (warriors/fighters/whatever)? They have high HP but take huge damage. They deal decent damage, but always miss. And they're pin cushions against swords, which the enemy uses a lot.

I tried using Vaike to see if he was different, but he's the usual axe guy. Benched him asap. I figure I'm doing him a favor.

Played for about 2 hours and like it. I've always liked SRPGS but Fire Emblem always kicks my ass. I have no shame about playing this on the 'No permadeath/save anywhere' difficulty

Magpul

Banned
just bought a 3ds xl for this game :D just got home and the game is finished downloading. bout to jump in :D

I bought one for it too! Ordered it from Amazon though, it will be here on Friday. I just got back from Target though, they had the game and even held it for me until I came to pick it up.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok , I let the pegasus knight chick die in like... chapter two or something. She was level one and I was just like "screw it, I'm not restarting. I hope she isn't the best character in the game or something!".

So I was also curious, what 'happens' when a character dies. Like does the game have any sort of mention or dialog "Oh yeah, so and so is dead. Bummer". But I was really surprised/disappointed that the game made no mention.

In fact it would be my only criticism of the game so far, 4.5 hours in. I thought the game should have some kind of "grave yard" or something where you can see your fallen soliders. Or maybe the other characters mention that so and so died, or have a "funeral" or SOMETHING. It's like: "Oh yeah someone died, make no mention."

It seems really out of place for a game with perma-death. I know I know I'm nitpicking a series staple, but I love the game. So I'm reaching for something to criticize I guess!

vall03

man, I feel weird with my playthrough. It seems Sumia is dying on you guys, but for me, its fucking Vaike! Dude died 3 times already for me, while Sumia is one of my strongest units.

Socreges

Banned

Awesome, I'm not a complete noob. :D
Like someone else already mentioned, it's much better to take his weapons away and have him serve as a wall only. Otherwise he counter-attacks, kills everyone and effectively robs other units of the EXP they would get.

I personally have been pairing him with other units since he gives huge DEF bonuses and even +1 MOV. That way you still get the wall (depending) and the paired unit gets the EXP.

Ok , I let the pegasus knight chick die in like... chapter two or something. She was level one and I was just like "screw it, I'm not restarting. I hope she isn't the best character in the game or something!".

So I was also curious, what 'happens' when a character dies. Like does the game have any sort of mention or dialog "Oh yeah, so and so is dead. Bummer". But I was really surprised/disappointed that the game made no mention.

In fact it would be my only criticism of the game so far, 4.5 hours in. I thought the game should have some kind of "grave yard" or something where you can see your fallen soliders. Or maybe the other characters mention that so and so died, or have a "funeral" or SOMETHING. It's like: "Oh yeah someone died, make no mention."

It seems really out of place for a game with perma-death. I know I know I'm nitpicking a series staple, but I love the game. So I'm reaching for something to criticize I guess!

In past games, at the credits, they'll give you a brief epilogue for each of the characters that you recruited. If they died midway, it'll state that.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone ever use the primary axe-wielders in these games (warriors/fighters/whatever)? They have high HP but take huge damage. They deal decent damage, but always miss. And they're pin cushions against swords, which the enemy uses a lot.

I tried using Vaike to see if he was different, but he's the usual axe guy. Benched him asap. I figure I'm doing him a favor.

I haven't used Vaike much, but I've gotten good use out of axe users in most of the games. Nolan was probably one of my top 3 characters in Radiant Dawn. You just have to make sure you pick your battles with them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't used Vaike much, but I've gotten good use out of axe users in most of the games. Nolan was probably one of my top 3 characters in Radiant Dawn. You just have to make sure you pick your battles with them.

I've been pairing Vaike with that female mage almost exclusively, it really helps if he's guaranteed a kill so he won't take much damage.

Alright, I've reset Chapter 1 exactly ten times now because of the goddamn archer and the Hammer user. It's always these two that screw me over in the end.

Time to swallow my pride and switch to Hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom