• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question guys/gals.

How do I properly use my magic users and archers? They're so squishy I'm afraid to put them anywhere near an enemy.
The best thing you can do is keep them in a position where they can attack from range without an enemy being able to reach them. Obviously that's easier said than done but the main idea is to keep a wall of heftier units between the enemy and your archers/magic users. Also, you can keep them farther back and bring them up only to finish off weakened enemies which will help them level up faster.

Something unique to Awakening that seems to work pretty well is pairing up a unit with high defense (like Frederick) with them. It isn't going to turn them into a knight or anything but it will at least ensure their survival for a hit or two.

The main thing is to always be aware of how far enemy units can reach with their attacks and to keep your weak units on the outskirts of that range.

Midou

Got a question guys/gals.

How do I properly use my magic users and archers? They're so squishy I'm afraid to put them anywhere near an enemy.

Well, early on I was pairing them up with tank-sort of units, and switching to them when it was safe, eventually I would put 2 mages together so they could nuke an enemy and not risk a counter attack later, again, if it was safe.

By like chapter 8 though, I didn't use pure-mages much. I made My Unit a +MAG/-STR mage, and he has the defense of a paladin with the MAG rating of 1.5 mages. I basically only use him as a pure mage, otherwise there are second-classes that can have more defense (dark knight) or able to move far (dark flier) that work better in terms of mages I found.

On hard at least, there are lots of archers, including longbow ones, so simply putting mages behind tanks does not work as well. Lot's of killer weapons makes swapping to them from pair-ups less safe too, it does work though.

Are there normal skirmishes or are they all called 'challenge'?

Playing on normal and those are pretty challenging too ( so glad my lissia can dodge like a motherfucker).

Btw what's the difference between difficulties? Like your growth, exp rate or the level and gear of baddies?

Geoff9920

No, because all the games currently on the 32GB card will not work with the Fire Emblem 3DS until system transferred. Once you perform the ST, the Fire Emblem 3DS will "behave" like the old one, so the copy of FEA on the 4GB card will be unusable (since the system account it was tied to no longer exists). But the license was retained during the transfer, so you can re-download it.
Ok, I am new to this whole thing so bear with me here... It's my understanding that the game on the SD card is tied to my 3ds. If I change sd cards, but not my 3DS, why does the game not easily transfer between sd cards?

Chrom

No, because all the games currently on the 32GB card will not work with the Fire Emblem 3DS until system transferred. Once you perform the ST, the Fire Emblem 3DS will "behave" like the old one, so the copy of FEA on the 4GB card will be unusable (since the system account it was tied to no longer exists). But the license was retained during the transfer, so you can re-download it.

Okay, I think I got it now. See, I was always under the impression that the actual content would simply be directly moved from one card to the other, I didn't really know about any card switching.

So if I got it right, during the process, it goes from having the licenses transfer first, then afterwards, I'm really just inserting my old card into the new 3DS and I'm done. I understand why FEA would need to be redownloaded on the new 3DS since it becomes a dud on the other card.

Ok, I am new to this whole thing so bear with me here... It's my understanding that the game on the SD card is tied to my 3ds. If I change sd cards, but not my 3DS, why does the game not easily transfer between sd cards?

No, I think you've got it right, but in my case, I was thinking I needed to change cards along with systems. If you're just upgrading your card you can do exactly that with no problem, I've done it plenty of times.

Quick question, is the only way to pair up Chrom with Olivia really only having him avoid any female interaction until that chapter? :/

Emitan

Had to go to sleep so I missed out on answering, but due to the fact that eventually there are infinite second seals (since you can grind skirmish/DLC maps for infinite xp and eventually infinite money), it's quicker to promote at 10 and use a second seal at 2nd tier level 15. That gets you all the skills yet keeps your "internal level" used for deciding how much xp you get lower compared to if you went 20/20.

That's... complicated. I'm too used to Blazing Sword strategies :s

So are the DLC characters fully functioning units? Like do they actually have battle animations and can they change classes and such? Seems like that would be too good to be true for so many characters

Chrom

Quick question, is the only way to pair up Chrom with Olivia really only having him avoid any female interaction until that chapter? :/

Sort of. Chrom and Olivia's relationship just needs to be higher than anyone else's if you want to pair them up, it doesn't necessarily mean Chrom has to avoid the other ladies like the plague at all costs, haha.

I'm guessing this would almost be impossible if you're playing on Lunatic and with a female Avatar, though.

So are the DLC characters fully functioning units? Like do they actually have battle animations and can they change classes and such? Seems like that would be too good to be true for so many characters

Yes! They don't have have voices, though.

Yes, yes they are.

Sort of. Chrom and Olivia's relationship just needs to be higher than anyone else's if you want to pair them up, it doesn't necessarily mean Chrom has to avoid the other ladies like the plague at all costs, haha.

I'm guessing this would almost be impossible if you're playing on Lunatic and with a female Avatar, though.

Well, problem with having Chrom and Olivia's relationship higher than with the other girls is that you only have one chapter to do it without any opportunity for skirmishes/paralogues/dlc though.

In Lunatic I don't see why you wouldn't pair up MU with Chrom though since they do kinda break the game by themselves.

NeonZ

They don't have voices and supports, but have free reclassing like the Avatar and some extra skills (or extra classes in some cases...).

Midou

Why not just manually marry him before then to have it guaranteed? :p

Getting S-rank isn't too bad.

dkeane

Played this for 6 hours yesterday. Such a great game.
I'm a Fire emblem noob but doing alright so far.
Can't wait to play more tonight.

beta_fuse

So has anyone tried their luck with Lunatic yet? I tried it out in the demo but only managed to get passed the first map and man was it rough! I don't see how you can go through a chapter without having to restart about minimum 10 times (assuming you're not playing on Casual). For that reason I decided to start my first play through on Hard.

On a side note, just finished chapter 10 and wow some of the music in this game is absolutely incredible. Loving every minute of it so far.

So has anyone tried their luck with Lunatic yet? I tried it out in the demo but only managed to get passed the first map and man was it rough! I don't see how you can go through a chapter without having to restart about minimum 10 times (assuming you're not playing on Casual). For that reason I decided to start my first play through on Hard.

On a side note, just finished chapter 10 and wow some of the music in this game is absolutely incredible. Loving every minute of it so far.
I might try it out someday but I think hard will be just fine for me for now. I'm ashamed to admit I was already doing restarts by Chapter 2 so I'm not exactly having my way with the game...

Makonero

So I'm finding that even playing casual, I'm restarting alot. If I lose a character too quickly due to negligence or if the secondary goal doesn't get met (curse you Paralogue II!) then I restart. This game...this game!!!

Any hints for Paralogue II by the way? I can't get to the village fast enough and talking to the trickster lady after doesn't do anything.

Emitan

I'm playing through on Normal at the moment so I can get used to the mechanics since the last FE I actually completed was Sacred Stones. Gonna do hard mode next. I doubt I have the patience for Lunatic.

Midou

When you literally only have one map to do so?

I used DLC map to get most of the relationships from 0 to S-rank fairly easily. I mean, you can do the map in like 5 minutes with a party, maybe 10 with a single pair-up, and usually every 2 times I'd get a rank-up.

How hard is the game on normal? I am hesitating between normal/casual, normal/classic, and hard/casual.

I don't think I want to play classical though because I tend to be OCD about this kind of stuff and will restart a mission N times until I lose no one.

edit: never played a Fire Emblem before. But I played a lot of FF tactics, if it is related at all.

Midou

How hard is the game on normal? I am hesitating between normal/casual, normal/classic, and hard/casual.

I don't think I want to play classical though because I tend to be OCD about this kind of stuff and will restart a mission N times until I lose no one.

Well enemies on first map were doing 0 damage to Chrom on normal so I reset it to hard, it's a bit tough early on in hard, but when side-stuff opens up, it balances out.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
That's... complicated. I'm too used to Blazing Sword strategies :s

Yeah, some promoted class skills kinda break the game wide open, especially Galeforce from Dark Fliers at 15. Crazy shit.

All up to you though, you only really need to power-game like that to beat some of the DLC maps where the enemies all have maxed stats, lol.

Almost every time I've restarted on normal classic has been due to stupid errors like leaving Donnel wide open and hoping for an RNG miss. Very rarely has normal like a serious challenge, tho I'm only on chapter 11.

I used DLC map to get most of the relationships from 0 to S-rank fairly easily. I mean, you can do the map in like 5 minutes with a party, maybe 10 with a single pair-up, and usually every 2 times I'd get a rank-up.

You're missing the point that she only starts being available in the same map Chrom gets married immediately after.

Well enemies on first map were doing 0 damage to Chrom on normal so I reset it to hard, it's a bit tough early on in hard, but when side-stuff opens up, it balances out.
Yeah, I think hard is the way to go if you have some experience with the genre because even if it did feel a little too difficult at times you could just do some skirmishes to bring your characters' levels up a bit. Hard is fun because it forces you to really think about your moves.

NeonZ

So I'm finding that even playing casual, I'm restarting alot. If I lose a character too quickly due to negligence or if the secondary goal doesn't get met (curse you Paralogue II!) then I restart. This game...this game!!!

Any hints for Paralogue II by the way? I can't get to the village fast enough and talking to the trickster lady after doesn't do anything.

You pretty much need to use Frederick there. In my case, I moved both Frederick and Sully+Stahl with A supports. Frederick ended up left behind due to some enemies, but the other two managed to get to the village.

Makonero

You pretty much need to use Frederick there. In my case, I moved both Frederick and Sully+Stahl with A supports. Frederick ended up left behind due to some enemies, but the other two managed to get to the village.

So when did you attack that stage then? I only have C level supports for everyone but Frederick and Chrom who are at B. Should I keep going with the main story stuff for now and level some people up? I'm having trouble keeping people equal too since so many of the characters have crap defense.

zroid

Banned
Picked up an art book from Best Buy (Cannada) just now! IT'S SO PRETTY!

and yes, it's exactly like the Xenoblade book, just with more concept art. Really elegantly put together.

So if I got it right, during the process, it goes from having the licenses transfer first, then afterwards, I'm really just inserting my old card into the new 3DS and I'm done. I understand why FEA would need to be redownloaded on the new 3DS since it becomes a dud on the other card.

Yep, that's right!

beta_fuse

Yeah that part was a little tricky but I managed to beat it by doing this:

I managed to get Chrom to the village rather quickly by pairing him up with Sumia and sneaking across the edge of the map (avoiding the archers of course). At first that wasn't enough because Anna would still have to deal with too many enemies on her own so I got some of my stronger troops like Sully and Stahl to bust up the middle of the map and distract a couple of them.

NeonZ

So when did you attack that stage then? I only have C level supports for everyone but Frederick and Chrom who are at B. Should I keep going with the main story stuff for now and level some people up? I'm having trouble keeping people equal too since so many of the characters have crap defense.

I went there pretty much as soon as it opened. I had kept Sully + Stahl paired up all the time through all missions where I could deploy both, and they were some of my most used units, which is why I had an A at that point even though I had only finished a single extra skirmish just to test them. Anyway, if you aren't grinding, you shouldn't be trying to keep all of your units "equal". Chose around 10 of them or so at most and focus on those.

SoulUnison

Banned
I just realized you can rename weapon when forging them at shops.

And it's unlimited. And free.

EeeeeEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeEEEEE~~!

Wait, what? There's a first-person mode?

The battle camera has three settings Dynamic(default), First-Person, and Static. You should see the options in the bottom left corner of the touch screen during combat. First-Person is the eye.

So earning gold is dependent on treasure chests? I'm getting short but I don't want to sell weapons I got :/

The way I've been getting gold is from enemies who have an item labeled bullion. Depending on the size the more valuable it is.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm hoping the DLC map has gold. I'm not low but I need to get some Master Seals because my main crew is all approaching 20.

So earning gold is dependent on treasure chests? I'm getting short but I don't want to sell weapons I got :/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm hoping the DLC map has gold. I'm not low but I need to get some Master Seals because my main crew is all approaching 20.

If I'm reading things right off of Serenes, the "gold and silver" dlc hit Japan's Eshop about 2 weeks after release, so it may be a bit yet, but the DLC has ~72,000 in gold per clear, lol.

I think all of the skirmish maps have an enemy with at least a small Bullion worth 1,000 gold. All medium/large bullion has come from chests or paralogue chapters.

Emitan

If I'm reading things right off of Serenes, the "gold and silver" dlc hit Japan's Eshop about 2 weeks after release, so it may be a bit yet, but the DLC has ~72,000 in gold per clear, lol.

I think all of the skirmish maps have an enemy with at least a small Bullion worth 1,000 gold. All medium/large bullion has come from chests or paralogue chapters.

That's twice what I have now. Damn.

CSX

Yeah that part was a little tricky but I managed to beat it by doing this:

I managed to get Chrom to the village rather quickly by pairing him up with Sumia and sneaking across the edge of the map (avoiding the archers of course). At first that wasn't enough because Anna would still have to deal with too many enemies on her own so I got some of my stronger troops like Sully and Stahl to bust up the middle of the map and distract a couple of them.

Did this too. Too bad RNG got to her before I did

Soulhouf

I always sell weapons/items I don't want. I think that's the way to go.

I'm playing classic/hard BTW and the game is perfectly balanced like this. You need to stay on your toes and think every move you do, I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom