• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

YES. Repeatable forever.
And also get repeatable items from shiny spots and villages forever.
Easy experience too!

Anyone want to raise Donnel after you finally get him (pair him up with a defensive or really speedy unit first) or any other weakling? Just have them run around the DLC level. lol

well, thats awesome! I still haven't played the first DLC map and I was thinking of a way to grind support levels too, Will try it later.

Socreges

Banned
I use Frederick as a last resort character to save me and boost defense by pairing him with people. I don't see what good benching him would do, especially in the early chapters and you don't have a full roster yet. >_>
Depends on how many units you're allowed to bring out. Chapter 4 only allowed 6 so I benched Frederick since using him in pair ups doesn't give me the opportunity to switch and use either character. Otherwise I agree.

Prax said:
I also like letting enemy reinforcements come out to die. More experience for me! I always get slightly disappointed when I'm accidentally standing on a fort on the turn they are supposed to come out. I never know if they are supposed to come 2 turns or what after you get a "warning announcement" from some character in the game about reinforcements.
Again, agreed, but there are certain circumstances when you've got a cleric or other weak unit stuck near stairs or a fort and preventing an imminent reinforcement is a must.

Prax

Depends on how many units you're allowed to bring out. Chapter 4 only allowed 6 so I benched Frederick since using him in pair ups doesn't give me the opportunity to switch and use either character. Otherwise I agree.

Again, agreed, but there are certain circumstances when you've got a cleric or other weak unit stuck near stairs or a fort and preventing an imminent reinforcement is a must.

Haha, yeah, then he gets benched unless everyone else is a weakling and has crap defence. Or I REALLY want to raise a weakling and he's the only one that will give them a decent enough defence boost to survive.

That circumstance hasn't come up for me yet! It's much more likely one of my attacking melee units will die from an onslaught than one of my healers or weaker units being picked off, anyway. Although I think I'd rather die and repeat a map than prevent reinforcements. >_> Same with not defeating a map until I am sure all reinforcements are done coming and every enemy is wiped out.

But then again, I depend on luck and the RNG goddess not screwing me over too much. SO many close calls in the past where a lucky pair up situation led to a death blow being blocked!

Socreges

Banned
Haha, yeah, then he gets benched unless everyone else is a weakling and has crap defence. Or I REALLY want to raise a weakling and he's the only one that will give them a decent enough defence boost to survive.

That circumstance hasn't come up for me yet! It's much more likely one of my attacking melee units will die from an onslaught than one of my healers or weaker units being picked off, anyway. Although I think I'd rather die and repeat a map than prevent reinforcements. >_> Same with not defeating a map until I am sure all reinforcements are done coming and every enemy is wiped out.

But then again, I depend on luck and the RNG goddess not screwing me over too much. SO many close calls in the past where a lucky pair up situation led to a death blow being blocked!
*shrug* I've learned to prepare for the worst with this series, particularly on Hard/Lunatic. I'm OCD like you and want every ounce of EXP available, but if I've got four stairs on a map and a vulnerable unit next to one of them, I'm plugging that shit. I'm personally OK with losing 30 EXP if it means I don't have to restart the chapter.

I've also kind of assumed that the reinforcements find their way out eventually/some other way, anyhow. But I might be wrong.

Delio

Im really having a blast with this game. I just got a second seal and my MU is max level so Im thinking of class changing her. Im not sure what yet tho. She leans super heavy to magic so something with that.

OH also Donnel is amazing and has been my Mu's running partner ever since I got him.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wouldn't you be missing out on 10 levels?

Had to go to sleep so I missed out on answering, but due to the fact that eventually there are infinite second seals (since you can grind skirmish/DLC maps for infinite xp and eventually infinite money), it's quicker to promote at 10 and use a second seal at 2nd tier level 15. That gets you all the skills yet keeps your "internal level" used for deciding how much xp you get lower compared to if you went 20/20.

massoluk

Banned
I must be doing something very wrong, I finished the side quest for Donny, but he never showed up on my party list... I only noticed it after 3-4 chapters later, and I'm too lazy to go back and redo everything.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I must be doing something very wrong, I finished the side quest for Donny, but he never showed up on my party list... I only noticed it after 3-4 chapters later, and I'm too lazy to go back and redo everything.

You have to get him a level during the chapter. It's annoying, but he does become pretty beastly later.

vall03

Did you read the objectives for the mission? Donny needs to level-up at least once in order for him to join.

I plan on buying all the DLC for this game as it releases. Do you guys think the SD card that comes with the 3DS will be enough, or should I invest in a larger one?

Hes has to level during the side quest he appears or else he won't join you.

Is there a way to pick what Spotpass things you get? Both characters that I've gotten are a way higher level than my team right now.

Socreges

Banned
No Donnel for this session then. If you didn't get Donnel,
it's because you didn't satisfy a certain condition. At the beginning of Paralogue 1 there's a message saying he'll join your party if he levels up.

beaten badly

Delio

Oh fun I noticed the second seal isnt what i need. I need a master seal :/ Ah well guess my main is stuck at 20 for a while. ALSO yay for Donnel being able to run by himself and not need support anymore.

Soulhouf

Im really having a blast with this game. I just got a second seal and my MU is max level so Im thinking of class changing her. Im not sure what yet tho. She leans super heavy to magic so something with that.

OH also Donnel is amazing and has been my Mu's running partner ever since I got him.

BTW does his look change when he changes job? I so wish if he removes the stupid hat that looks like a saucepan on his head :/
I just got him and I can tell from his skill that he will become a beast later with that insane growth rate.

Artemisia

Banned
So a copy from amazon is being shipped.

I talked to a CS rep for a while, and he told me that the order I originally paced was not going to make it any time soon as it was backordered. So he advised me to cancel the order, and then order a marketplace version for 60 dollars+12 dollars shipping. He then refunded me the difference between the price of my original order, and the new order I had just placed.

Bless him.

massoluk

Banned
Did you read the objectives for the mission? Donny needs to level-up at least once in order for him to join.

Ahh, I guess I skipped over it. Then I thought nothing of it because none of the chapter in this game really have any mission objectives (clear the map!).

NeonZ

Is there a way to pick what Spotpass things you get? Both characters that I've gotten are a way higher level than my team right now.

After a while, around two weeks, they should make the entire set of 10 characters from Fire Emblem (7) available at once and you can pick any of them, but, before that, no. One team per day. And when they start giving characters from other games it will follow the same daily system initially.

Anyway, I finally got Serra after many failed attempts at beating her team. I was still somewhat underleved for her party, and on top of that hard mode seems to give boost to the enemies in skirmishes (but her stats go back to normal once she joins), but it was so satisfying to finally beat her team. The main problems were the knight with a silver lance and the mage with hex fire mixed up with the generic fighters. My team could handle the fighters well, but the knight and mage not so much... I got to fight her in the frontier fortress map though, which allowed me to split her forces, and that was pretty much the only reason I won.

I like how when you get to her she's all like "Ewww! I loathe violence!", just because she can't attack...

BTW does his look change when he changes job? I so wish if he removes the stupid hat that looks like a saucepan on his head :/

He'll get the standard armor of each class... but will always keep the pot!

Delio

So for my MU to become a Sage or Mage Knight I have to first second seal down to a mage then work up from there correct? Should I just go to my MU's natural second class then?

NeonZ

So for my MU to become a Sage or Mage Knight I have to first second seal down to a mage then work up from there correct? Should I just go to my MU's natural second class then?

You can also go to the standard Grand Master with a Master Seal, and class change directly to Sage or Mage Knight using a Second Seal after hitting level 10+ on your promoted class.

Well, Target just contacted me to let me know my pre-order will be delayed about a month. So I cancelled that...I only pre-ordered there because I had a $50.00 Target gift card. Dumb.

I could get it on e-shop, but...I really don't like being tied to one system, especially since me and my brother like to share game sometimes. I guess I'll see if it's in stock in town anywhere, but I somehow doubt it. =(

So is the first DLC still only free for this week?

Delio

You can also go to the standard Grand Master with a Master Seal, and class change directly to Sage or Mage Knight using a Second Seal after hitting level 10+ on your promoted class.

That sounds like a better course of action thanks! Also what do you guys recommend I get Donnel up to before changing him over?

After a while, around two weeks, they should make the entire set of 10 characters from Fire Emblem (7) available at once and you can pick any of them, but, before that, no. One team per day. And when they start giving characters from other games it will follow the same daily system initially.

Thats kind of a bummer. Thanks!

I started on Hard/Classic and I already regret doing so. I thought I was a hunk.

As someone who just beat the game on normal I'd say to stick it out. The second half of the game for me was the Avatar and his daughter killing everything that moved while everyone else watched.

That sounds like a better course of action thanks! Also what do you guys recommend I get Donnel up to before changing him over?

Get Donny to 15 so he can learn his second skill. I made him a mercenary for armsthrift and the bronze sword I forged him lasted him the rest of the game because of his crazy luck stat.

Delio

As someone who just beat the game on normal I'd say to stick it out. The second half of the game for me was the Avatar and his daughter killing everything that moved while everyone else watched.

Get Donny to 15 so he can learn his second skill. I made him a mercenary for armsthrift and the bronze sword I forged him lasted him the rest of the game because of his crazy luck stat.

Kinda hate that I have so much work in Lances but both of those classes cant use it lol.

Why would anyone not share their difficulty level for StreetPass?

Wl39YAh.jpg

Well, Target just contacted me to let me know my pre-order will be delayed about a month. So I cancelled that...I only pre-ordered there because I had a $50.00 Target gift card. Dumb.

I could get it on e-shop, but...I really don't like being tied to one system, especially since me and my brother like to share game sometimes. I guess I'll see if it's in stock in town anywhere, but I somehow doubt it. =(

So is the first DLC still only free for this week?

First DLC is free until 3/6, I believe.

First DLC is free until 3/6, I believe.

Awesome, I think I'll just wait until it's in stock in stores then. I'd rather not get the eshop version (partly because I may want to share the game and partly because I've had bad experiences with DS's breaking in the past). That gives me a bit of extra time to finish up Dark Souls, anyway.

TheGrue

I lost Sumia on the first battle. Got greedy going for a hammer drop and left her exposed. Playing on Classic, so I have committed to not reloading saves and living with my decisions. Makes this game so awesome.

Koodo

Banned
I'd recommend reclassing/advancing as soon as you snatch all of the skills from the current class (for everyone, not just Donnel). Waiting to reach the level cap makes little sense now since you can keep switching classes and grinding to your heart's content. If you train a unit hard enough, you'll get to a point where level ups won't even matter anymore in regards to increasing stats since they will all be capped out.

Speaking of, I've capped my Donnel in everything except Magic for all eligible classes (and he doesn't use Magic, so that one can be ignored). His rating stands at 271. What an unbeatable GOD.

Sorry if this is asked a lot, but for the DLC, can you ever lose it or "waste" it? I mean right now I have a few options in the wireless menu, but I didn't actually click on them or initiate them. Will I be able to do this stuff forever and across multiple save files?

Also, is there any bonus for beating battles fast/efficiently or penalties for taking long?

Is there something I should know about skirmishes? The first one I fought featured enemies about ~3 levels higher than most of my army. The next one has enemies ~6 levels higher than my average character. Are the enemies' levels based on anything I can control? Because if this continues, I am not going to be able to do any more skirmishes for a while.

Chrom

Alright guys, the plan is to get the bundle today. Needless to say, I'm excited, but I need some help for clarification. Would be much appreciated if anyone could provide an answer.

My current 3DS has been used since launch and it's got a lot of stuff saved to its 32GB SD card. The Fire Emblem 3DS comes with the game already on the 4GB SD card included.

What I want is to be able to use my 32GB SD Card on my new 3DS while also being able to play Fire Emblem on it as well.

Now, I know that this involves the System Transfer, and I've answered several questions similar to this before, but I don't feel as sure as I'd like to be when it comes to my little predicament; all of my stuff can't fit in the 4GB card, so what can I do? Would it be okay to copy/paste the data from the 4GB card to a whole other SD card that can hold all of the data from the SD card of my original 3DS, so that it could be used for System Transfer? If so, is it alright if I use the SD card that I've been using for my Wii (32GB), or does it matter if it's a clean card? Or does Nintendo have it so that it doesn't matter if everything doesn't fit, and they'd let you redownload the rest at a later time without System Transfer when you can upgrade the card?

Sorry if this is asked a lot, but for the DLC, can you ever lose it or "waste" it? I mean right now I have a few options in the wireless menu, but I didn't actually click on them or initiate them. Will I be able to do this stuff forever and across multiple save files?

Also, is there any bonus for beating battles fast/efficiently or penalties for taking long?

DLC is forever and can be played within any file on your 3DS. Heck, it can be played on any copy of the game that you play on your 3DS.

The game doesn't care if you play fast or slow.

Is there something I should know about skirmishes? The first one I fought featured enemies about ~3 levels higher than most of my army. The next one has enemies ~6 levels higher than my average character. Are the enemies' levels based on anything I can control? Because if this continues, I am not going to be able to do any more skirmishes for a while.

I think that's normal.

Alright guys, the plan is to get the bundle today. Needless to say, I'm excited, but I need some help for clarification. Would be much appreciated if anyone could provide an answer.

My current 3DS has been used since launch and it's got a lot of stuff saved to its 32GB SD card. The Fire Emblem 3DS comes with the game already on the 4GB SD card included.

What I want is to be able to use my 32GB SD Card on my new 3DS while also being able to play Fire Emblem on it as well.

Now, I know that this involves the System Transfer, and I've answered several questions similar to this before, but I don't feel as sure as I'd like to be when it comes to my little predicament; all of my stuff can't fit in the 4GB card, so what can I do? Would it be okay to copy/paste the data from the 4GB card to a whole other SD card that can hold all of the data from the SD card of my original 3DS, so that it could be used for System Transfer? If so, is it alright if I use the SD card that I've been using for my Wii (32GB), or does it matter if it's a clean card? Or does Nintendo have it so that it doesn't matter if everything doesn't fit, and they'd let you redownload the rest at a later time without System Transfer when you can upgrade the card?

The System Transfer moves the licenses but not the content. So you can just pull the SD card out of your old 3DS into the new one. Then redownload FE from the ESHOP onto the 32 gb.

zroid

Banned
What you need to do is system transfer to the Fire Emblem 3DS, then stick your 32 GB card in there. Then you'll have to re-download Fire Emblem from the eShop (for free) and you'll be good to go.

flake

When I moved to a new SD card, although on the same system, I just copied my SD card files onto my comp, then pasted them into the new SD card. Was too easy.

Geoff9920

The System Transfer moves the licenses but not the content. So you can just pull the SD card out of your old 3DS into the new one. Then redownload FE from the ESHOP onto the 32 gb.
Couldn't he just use a PC with an SD card reader to transfer the game from one card to another?

NeonZ

You're playing on hard, right? Yeah, I've been noticing this. The monster skirmishes seem to be harder than the lastest story chapter. Anyway, you can just continue and attempt to take them on later after raising the level of your characters.

When they upload at least the 10 Fire Emblem (7) characters, there'll be also another way to have easier skirmishes, although battles against legacy teams don't seem to give item drops. And, of course, there's the DLC too.

Midou

I lost Sumia on the first battle. Got greedy going for a hammer drop and left her exposed. Playing on Classic, so I have committed to not reloading saves and living with my decisions. Makes this game so awesome.

Missing out on an entire side-quest and awesome character because of it is not as awesome though.

Anyways, I've gotten a few of the (post chapter 13/14ish spoilers)
children, specifically Owain, Inigo and Brady. Owain and Brady were fairly easy, but man, Inigo's map was just like level 8-10 promoted enemies all with forged equipment that had 4 MT higher than normal, and of course they were all forged silver weapons.

And another separate one for around then.

Lucinia's reveal of her identity to chrom and scenes that came after gave me feels, and outside Walking Dead, I've rarely gotten feels in games

Setre

Got a question guys/gals.

How do I properly use my magic users and archers? They're so squishy I'm afraid to put them anywhere near an enemy.

Chrom

Thanks for the responses.

Couldn't he just use a PC with an SD card reader to transfer the game from one card to another?

I'm wondering about this. I don't know if any kind of complication would arrive if I move what's on the new to my old with my computer, and then using the System Transfer. I have to use that if I want to play my old stuff on my new 3DS.

You're playing on hard, right? Yeah, I've been noticing this. The monster skirmishes seem to be harder than the lastest story chapter. Anyway, you can just continue and attempt to take them on later after raising the level of your characters.

When they upload at least the 10 Fire Emblem (7) characters, there'll be also another way to have easier skirmishes, although battles against legacy teams don't seem to give item drops. And, of course, there's the DLC too.

Yep, hard mode. Thanks for the help.

Downloaded the game last night.. I think i'll start playing right after i type this :)

Looking forward! The gamecube version was my favorite ever.. I bought the Wii one i loved it so much and can't find it.. i think my kid tossed it in the garbage when i wasn't around hahah so brutal!!

guess i'll have to buy and play it on my wii u sometime

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Got a question guys/gals.

How do I properly use my magic users and archers? They're so squishy I'm afraid to put them anywhere near an enemy.

Keep them near bigger strong walls, like a general. Make sure they're just outside of the enemy's range and when your wall hits them then bring in your mage/archer to finish the job. Or just straight up pair them up with another unit that can take a hit or move around quickly.

zroid

Banned

No, because all the games currently on the 32GB card will not work with the Fire Emblem 3DS until system transferred. Once you perform the ST, the Fire Emblem 3DS will "behave" like the old one, so the copy of FEA on the 4GB card will be unusable (since the system account it was tied to no longer exists). But the license was retained during the transfer, so you can re-download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom