• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I moved to a new SD card, although on the same system, I just copied my SD card files onto my comp, then pasted them into the new SD card. Was too easy.

I read through the various responses on this topic but just want to make sure the above is the case for a "simple" card upgrade.

If I buy a bigger card for my existing 3DS, my understanding is that I:

* Copy all the stuff from my existing (stock) card to my computer
* Put the new card in my 3DS to initiate/format it
* Mount the new, formatted card on my computer, and copy every single file from the old card onto this card
* Put the new card back in my 3DS

At that point, are all my games, saves, DLC, etc now on my new card and available on my 3DS? Do I need to redownload anything?

Is this idiot proof or is there a step I can totally screw up and lose stuff?

Also, assume it doesn't matter if I'm using a Mac? Sorry for the dumb questions - I've never done this before and am not the most tech-savvy person...

To those asking about Sumia; you don't have to level your support partners if you're not interested in doing so. Just pair up, leave 'em in the background, and have your main do all the combat. There is certainly value to having strong Pegasus/flyer units but if it's too much of a pain then you can skip that and just let them take up party space.

She's his 'canon' choice, but you can really marry Chrom to whoever you want and that is possible.

Is there a list of canon choices out there? I've stumbled into a couple of them (ie: Lan'qu) so far which have been interesting purely for the backstory details you get in the support conversations.

Can you still RNG abuse with making circles?

chitomv_fireemblyn_circle_1086135779.gif

no :(

I know that in at least the DS games, the RNG is based off your system clock now. So probably holds true for this game, maybe.

no :(

NeonZ

Is there a list of canon choices out there? I've stumbled into a couple of them (ie: Lan'qu) so far which have been interesting purely for the backstory details you get in the support conversations.

No, the only canon known is Chrom/Sumia, everything else is left to speculation - ln fact, the official set of hair colors for the children is impossible to be completely replicated gameplay-wise and it's mostly based on the mothers' hair color.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As her pure stat bonuses to the child, no. Olivia provides better stat bonuses, but both do offer good class options for the child.

Even though I know it's by far the worse route to go stat wise I want to pair Chrom up with
a random villager, by letting him have no support levels with anyone
On my next play through, it's happening.

Even though I know it's by far the worse route to go stat wise I want to pair Chrom up with
a random villager, by letting him have no support levels with anyone
On my next play through, it's happening.

It's not even stats that the child will suffer, but it'll be the lack of class options and potential skills.

So when is the point of no return for when you have to have had everyone hooked up?

For everyone expect Chrom, whenever you decide to stop playing I guess, since you can keep playing after beating the final boss.

For Chrom,
at the end of Chp.11.

My speed based mc works nicely with sumia, that speed bump.

Still a bit iffy about pairing up. I feel like I'm neglecting a guy due to them not getting exp from fights unless they dual attack.

NeonZ

So when is the point of no return for when you have to have had everyone hooked up?

The only point of no return is for
Chrom, who is paired up automatically after chapter 11 with the girl who has the highest support level or hidden number with him... Their ranking will jump straight to S. Or... just a generic girl if all playable characters who could be his wife are already married or dead

Since I've heard from everyone in this thread saying Olivia is the best, but I read on Serenes Forest that you get her on Chapter 11, and I already have a C rank with the Avatar character... will I be able to do a support conversation mid battle with Olivia? Or am I screwed in that aspect?

NeonZ

Since I've heard from everyone in this thread saying Olivia is the best, but I read on Serenes Forest that you get her on Chapter 11, and I already have a C rank with the Avatar character... will I be able to do a support conversation mid battle with Olivia? Or am I screwed in that aspect?

A female avatar, I guess? Anyway, yeah, the only way you get out of that is by getting an S rank for the avatar before chapter 11.

For everyone expect Chrom, whenever you decide to stop playing I guess, since you can keep playing after beating the final boss.

For Chrom,
at the end of Chp.11.

Chrom, who is paired up automatically after chapter 11 with the girl who has the highest support level or hidden number with him... Their ranking will jump straight to S. Or... just a generic girl if all playable characters who could be his wife are already married or dead
Wait what. So then
how do the kids factor in if you can still have characters hook up until the final boss? There's no time skip? More time travel shenanigans?

Wait what. So then
how do the kids factor in if you can still have characters hook up until the final boss? There's no time skip? More time travel shenanigans?

Well, you are basically tossed back into the point you fight the final boss, but more things open up from there. You can refight the final boss multiple times as well.

Roto13

Wait what. So then

The time skip is only like two years.

Lucina came back with all of the characters' kids but they got separated. When you establish who is married to who, a paralogue mission opens up where you find and recruit their kid.

A female avatar, I guess? Anyway, yeah, the only way you get out of that is by getting an S rank for the avatar before chapter 11.

Wait so getting an S Rank with the Avatar unit would remove her from the marriage running and then I'd be able to have Chrom and Olivia? Or am I misunderstanding?

Wait so getting an S Rank with the Avatar unit would remove her from the marriage running and then I'd be able to have Chrom and Olivia? Or am I misunderstanding?

Pretty much. Chrom can't marry someone who's already married! Just be wary of the other girls with Chrom though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Or you have no supports with Chrom at all which
also defaults to the generic girl rather than the priority order, according to SF. Or maybe I read it wrong?

So what's the logic behind good pairs for kids or w/e? Is it obvious like magic dude and magic gal, or pairup combos that work?

I kinda want to let things play out... but I don't want no cripple babbys

Tunic

Played up to Chapter 4 last night, haven't started it yet. Never played a strategy RPG game before so this is all brand new to me. Definitely confused on a few things here and there but I am starting to get the hang of everything.

Well, I don't think this game accepts polygamy, so yes.

Pretty much. Chrom can't marry someone who's already married! Just be wary of the other girls with Chrom though.

Ok, I misread what was said and thought it was meant for the Avatar to get an S rank with Chrom, that would explain my confusion. But am I able to get a support conversation with Olivia and Chrom mid battle or no? Still trying to figure out how this would all work if you recruit Olivia the chapter right before Chrom gets hitched. Sorry for the questions, just wondering about this is all.

Is waiting until level 20 to change classes worth it as with previous FE's? I'm sure this has been discussed here at some point but I haven't seen it. I know you can use seals to go back to non-promoted classes and to switch to other promoted classes but I don't plan on messing with that much (if at all) on my first playthrough.

The time skip is only like two years.

Lucina came back with all of the characters' kids but they got separated. When you establish who is married to who, a paralogue mission opens up where you find and recruit their kid.
Ah, okay that makes so much more sense. And here I was worried that I wouldn't have enough time to pair everyone up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok, I misread what was said and thought it was meant for the Avatar to get an S rank with Chrom, that would explain my confusion. But am I able to get a support conversation with Olivia and Chrom mid battle or no? Still trying to figure out how this would all work if you recruit Olivia the chapter right before Chrom gets hitched. Sorry for the questions, just wondering about this is all.

Yes, you can get Olivia up to a C rank support with Chrom in that battle.. and if you've avoided the other girls Chrom can support with, he'll marry her. Only My Unit has lower priority than Olivia, so you'll want to avoid other potential mates.

Is waiting until level 20 to change classes worth it as with previous FE's? I'm sure this has been discussed here at some point but I haven't seen it. I know you can use seals to go back to non-promoted classes and to switch to other promoted classes but I don't plan on messing with that much (if at all) on my first playthrough.

Depends if you really want to get as much as you can out of your units or on how much grinding you want to do. Since exp isn't limited anymore, if you want to grind some, you can promote early.

If not, generally waiting is the best option, unless you want some utility out of the promoted unit, like a new person capable of healing for mages going to sages or something like that.

Javier

Decided on pairings. (*) means already married by Chapter 10:

Chrom x Sumia*
Donny x Lissa*
Stahl x Sully*
Kellam x Miriel
Frederick x Maribelle*
Lon'qu x Panne*
Virion x Cordelia*
Ricken x Nowi
Gregor x Olivia
Gaius x Cherche

NeonZ

Or you have no supports with Chrom at all which
also defaults to the generic girl rather than the priority order, according to SF. Or maybe I read it wrong?

That's only if Chrom has no support points with any female at all - as in, the "heart" didn't pop up even once for anyone. Olivia can marry Chrom, and yet she gets married to him just due to building up support in chapter 11, without an actual conversation.

So what's the logic behind good pairs for kids or w/e? Is it obvious like magic dude and magic gal, or pairup combos that work?

I kinda want to let things play out... but I don't want no cripple babbys

Due to the formula used for them, it'd be very hard to cripple any babies. The obvious combinations work, but some not so obvious ones are pretty good too - say, Donnel is good enough as a parent even for magic based children.

If you're not planning to use class changes, you can stick with the standard lvl20 promotions. If you planned to use class changing, even without grinding, then early promotions can be worth it. The avatar is especially good for that due to its skill that gives 2x experience when you're using pair up.

Depends if you really want to get as much as you can out of your units or on how much grinding you want to do. Since exp isn't limited anymore, if you want to grind some, you can promote early.

If not, generally waiting is the best option, unless you want some utility out of the promoted unit, like a new person capable of healing for mages going to sages or something like that.
Sounds good, thanks. I foresee a lot of crazy class experimentation in future playthroughs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's only if Chrom has no support points with any female at all - as in, the "heart" didn't pop up even once for anyone. Olivia can marry Chrom, and yet she gets married to him just due to building up support in chapter 11, without an actual conversation.

Due to the formula used for them, it'd be very hard to cripple any babies. The obvious combinations work, but some not so obvious ones are pretty good too - say, Donnel is good enough as a parent even for magic based children.

So, even if you have one heart with another support character,
that'll out class any number of hearts Olivia has that chapters? Ouch. She's definitely the toughest to pair him up with.

NeonZ

So, even if you have one heart with another support character,
that'll out class any number of hearts Olivia has that chapters? Ouch. She's definitely the toughest to pair him up with.

Huh, no. I meant that just having hearts won't
send Chrom to generic girl. In fact, just having hearts with Olivia is how you get Chrom/Olivia, even without any support conversation. Of course, that's only if Chrom doesn't have a support, or more "hearts", the hidden number I mentioned before, with any other marriageable female.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Huh, no. I meant that just having hearts won't
send Chrom to generic girl. In fact, just having hearts with Olivia is how you get Chrom/Olivia, even without any support conversation. Of course, that's only if Chrom doesn't have a support, or more "hearts", the hidden number I mentioned before, with any other marriageable female.

Gotcha.

Midou

Well there are a few ways I choose couples. One is who I like together, another is who you actively use in battles together that would benefit each other, and another is on skills they inherit, sometimes it saves time, other times it gives them skills they won't normally get. I did a mix of all 3.

Mine were:

Chrom x Sumia - for Canon and so he could go farther
My Unit x Olivia - because I liked their supports
Maribelle x Libra - Didn't really care for either, but liked their supports
Gregor x Cherche - A bit of canon in there somewhere maybe, if you saw their supports, they fight great together, and I actively use both
Stahl x Cordellia - I liked their supports
Fredrick x Sully - They kind of ended up together after I used Fredrick a lot in a pair-up
Donnel x Nowi - This was a mix of all 3 basically
Ricken x Miriel - Ended up combining them a lot for pair-up boosts, don't really use either anymore. :p
Gaius x Panne - Didn't put much thought into this one :eek:
Tharja x Henry - Liked supports, both Dark Mages, so I can use them as sort-of one super dark mage.

I've gotten like half of the second-gens so far, they rock so hard.

massoluk

Banned
Why the heck if I put my 3DS on sleep mode, when I come back the voices randomly switch back to English?

Holy crap, I totally forgot there's Japanese voices in this game.

Usually I turned on Japanese voices in a game when possible, but apparently the English voice acting in this game is so good (That is not cringeworthy) that I forgot about it. :p

Midou

Why the heck if I put my 3DS on sleep mode, when I come back the voices randomly switch back to English?

Happens any time you reset the game, turn off the game, or anything. You have to go to extras and switch back to English then back to Japanese every time, I gave up and just settled with English. Was not happy with it, but it's odd this was not tested before hand.. The weird thing is, CGI cutscenes still play in Japanese, it's just battle/story dialog that is in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom