• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

Happens any time you reset the game, turn off the game, or anything. You have to go to extras and switch back to English then back to Japanese every time, I gave up and just settled with English. Was not happy with it, but it's odd this was not tested before hand.. The weird thing is, CGI cutscenes still play in Japanese, it's just battle/story dialog that is in English.

Hopefully they will patch it.
I can't stand the English voices after hearing the Japanese.

AGITΩ

Good thing for that DLC Map, I've beat it so many times now to grind up characters or to build up relationships. I'm only on Chapter 6, and Chrom is already married to Sumia on my File. I'm trying to decide who my Avatar will Marry...Kinda leaning towards Maribelle at the moment, because she treated me like shit in the beginning, But I like the way she looks SOOOOO. At first I was leaning towards Lissa for that Loli appeal.

Moonlight

Banned
My choices thus far:

Chrom & Sumia: Well, it's the canon choice. Besides, I'm quite fond of Sumia and their support, while kinda silly, was pretty cute.
Avatar (Alistair) & Anna: I mostly just gravitated to my favourite character for this, and Anna is definitely my favourite. She works well with my unit in the game, has solid supports, and it's not as though there were many other options for her - the only has two supports, and can only marry the Avatar.
Lissa & Gaius: I was actually running out of decent pairings by the time I got around to finding Lissa a husband, but I like the idea of the thief and the princess. Their support conversations were really great, too.
Henry & Tharja: Nothing seemed like a better fit.
Miriel & Vaike: When the game started, I had a habit of pairing people up based on who they were introduced with. Besides, they synergize pretty well. Vaike is the muscle and Miriel is the knife.
Stahl & Sully: Didn't put a lot of thought into this one, they both ride horses and their support conversations were pretty good.
Frederick & Cordelia: I liked Frederick a lot, and I liked Cordelia a lot. That's about as far as my train of thought went.
Gregor & Nowi: This sorta happened by accident, I wound up getting their supports to B-Rank and just decided to go all the way with it.
Donnel & Maribelle: Honestly, I don't care much for Maribelle, but I couldn't resist pairing up the uncultured farm-boy with the slightly snooty noblewoman. Opposites attract, and all that.
Virion & Cherche: I meant to pair Virion up with Sully, but I sorta lost track of grinding their supports after I hit rank A with them and I can't say I really regret it. Virion & Cherche just seemed like a natural choice.
Libra & Olivia: I kinda regret doing this to Olivia, because I like her character, but by the time I got her I was left with Ricken, Kellam, and, well, Libra. Three characters that I don't care much for. So, I just picked who I disliked the least.
Lon'qu & Panne: I... don't know what attracted me to pairing them up in the first place, but it seemed like a good fit.

cjkeats

Christ I haven't even thought about the rest of my team yet, I'm still trying to decide on a wife for myself. Got Lissa and Tharja to rank A and I can't decide between the two. I'm grinding up other characters to see the support conversations there now to see if there's anyone else I like.

Why can't I just have a harem? Forget my other units, I'm greedy.

Is there like a top 10 list of how to successfully survive in FE? I feel like theres some common tactics I'm not aware of. I try to plan ahead and have the healer park in places where they can't hit her, but I'm having some trouble. Second level and someone always dies. Playing on Classic/Hard.

Out of curiosity, what did everyone name their avatar?
Marzipan. I always name female characters after my dog.

Busaiku

Bleh, even on Hard I had to use Frederick to kill an enemy on Chapter 2 to stop resetting.
Yeah, I don't know if I'm gonna even try Lunatic anymore.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

I just used my screen name.

Beat chapter 5 last night. Took me 3-4 hours to beat that mission and manage to get everyone out alive. I got really lucky on the winning round that the boss didn't decide to go after Ricken for the third time in a row.

Socreges

Banned
Is there like a top 10 list of how to successfully survive in FE? I feel like theres some common tactics I'm not aware of. I try to plan ahead and have the healer park in places where they can't hit her, but I'm having some trouble. Second level and someone always dies. Playing on Classic/Hard.
- Have your units really close together, adjacent when possible.
- At the start of each turn, plot out where each unit is going to go and who they would attack/support. Test each unit by checking how effective they are against different enemies. I normally try and take out a few nearby enemies and protect against ones that are slightly further away (but can still attack me) and ensure that no one is vulnerable to multiple attacks (unless their stats are high enough to handle, say, two attacks in one enemy turn).
- Use the terrain, not just forests and forts, but also walls and hills to shield your units from multiple enemies
- Have units with high DEF draw enemies toward chokepoints and pick them off one by one, having archers and mages behind for range attacks
- Sometimes* it's best to NOT attack but just place your unit next to an enemy. This is because, if you don't attack on your turn, the enemy will attack you first on their turn, but you would counterattack and then attack first on your next turn. If you attack, they counterattack and then get the opportunity to attack again when it's their turn.
- Try to use range units (archers, mages, units with javelins) to weaken enemies before attacking them directly. This way you can avoid losing any HP (or much) in certain fights
- For best supports, have units that CAN support each other adjacent to one another or even paired up, when possible (you may not be far enough to make this important yet)
- Pair up strong units with weak units to, for example, give the weak units big boosts in STR and DEF
- Again, keep your units close together. If you feel you're getting too spread out or are being rushed, pull units back and keep the most defensive ones in the front.
- Use Heal *constantly*. Even take a turn where all you do is use one Heal on a unit. This develops your Cleric and makes sure that you're more prepared for the next onslaught (sometimes there's an incentive to rush through a map, though. eg, killing a thief before they escape with loot). You can always buy more Heals (and do so if you're down to, say, 8 uses before a battle)

*only sometimes. If you can take out an enemy in one go with multiple units, you'd probably want to do that instead

Hit 10, didn't even mean to. That's most of what I know. I've never actually read a list, but just figured out certain things after playing many many hours of Fire Emblem.

I'm sure there's a lot of little strategies that I've missed, so hopefully people can add more.

Busaiku

One of the things that's really screwing me over here is the support system.
I never really paid any attention to it in Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, but here, I'm completely changing up how I arrange my units so I get the 2 specific units to gain support over the others.

This has led to many resets, due to bad positioning.

- Have your units really close together, adjacent when possible.
- At the start of each turn, plot out where each unit is going to go and who they would attack/support. Test each unit by checking how effective they are against different enemies. I normally try and take out a few nearby enemies and protect against ones that are slightly further away (but can still attack me) and ensure that no one is vulnerable to multiple attacks (unless their stats are high enough to handle, say, two attacks in one enemy turn).
- Use the terrain, not just forests and forts, but also walls and hills to shield your units from multiple enemies
- Have units with high DEF draw enemies toward chokepoints and pick them off one by one, having archers and mages behind for range attacks
- Sometimes* it's best to NOT attack but just place your unit next to an enemy. This is because, if you don't attack on your turn, the enemy will attack you first on their turn, but you would counterattack and then attack first on your next turn. If you attack, they counterattack and then get the opportunity to attack again when it's their turn.
- Try to use range units (archers, mages, units with javelins) to weaken enemies before attacking them directly. This way you can avoid losing any HP (or much) in certain fights
- For best supports, have units that CAN support each other adjacent to one another or even paired up, when possible (you may not be far enough to make this important yet)
- Pair up strong units with weak units to, for example, give the weak units big boosts in STR and DEF
- Again, keep your units close together. If you feel you're getting too spread out or are being rushed, pull units back and keep the most defensive ones in the front.
- Use Heal *constantly*. Even take a turn where all you do is use one Heal on a unit. This develops your Cleric and makes sure that you're more prepared for the next onslaught (sometimes there's an incentive to rush through a map, though. eg, killing a thief before they escape with loot). You can always buy more Heals (and do so if you're down to, say, 8 uses before a battle)

*only sometimes. If you can take out an enemy in one go with multiple units, you'd probably want to do that instead

Hit 10, didn't even mean to. That's most of what I know. I've never actually read a list, but just figured out certain things after playing many many hours of Fire Emblem.

I'm sure there's a lot of little strategies that I've missed, so hopefully people can add more.
Thanks! I'm doing some of that already but the other stuff is valuable too. Right now I have avoided using Fredrick and have him support, because he is so OP I figured EXP going to him is a waste, is that correct?

I never really paid any attention to it in Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, but here, I'm completely changing up how I arrange my units so I get the 2 specific units to gain support over the others.

Well the support system in those two games were based off chapter spent together instead of time. They could have been clear across from each other on opposite sides and still gain points.

You could always pair them up for faster support building.

beta_fuse

I'm not going to lie, but that was happening to me quite a bit as well early on. I then realized that your support levels increase rather quickly even without keeping the two units next to each for the whole mission.

Also, I was under the impression that the only way to increase supports levels with paired up units is with a seed of trust.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks! I'm doing some of that already but the other stuff is valuable too. Right now I have avoided using Fredrick and have him support, because he is so OP I figured EXP going to him is a waste, is that correct?
Yeah, for sure. Some people (like myself) actually take his Silver Lance away so he can't counterattack and just put him at the front to draw in enemies and absorb attacks. Or you could pair him up with a unit, giving them a +4 STR/DEF and, if their DEF is high enough already, they can be the front unit instead of just Frederick on his own. Either way it's definitely best to use him as support and not have him kill many/any units, like you said.

Decided on pairings. (*) means already married by Chapter 10:

Chrom x Sumia*
Donny x Lissa*
Kellam x Miriel
Frederick x Maribelle*
Lon'qu x Panne*
Virion x Cordelia*
Ricken x Nowi
Gregor x Olivia
Gaius x Cherche

How do you have ppl married? I'm starting chapter 10 and haven't had the option to marry anyone. :/

Giolon

The female character options are better than the male ones. Stuck trying to decide whether to make a guy or a girl. Decisions, decisions. Does your character have relationships with other characters or is it only the NPCs?

The female character options are better than the male ones. Stuck trying to decide whether to make a guy or a girl. Decisions, decisions. Does your character have relationships with other characters or is it only the NPCs?

Your avatar can support EVERYONE.

Roto13

Your avatar is the only character who can form a relationship with everybody.

Also party members are not NPCs. :p

I decided to work on Donnel finally by grinding the DLC. He could be the most broken character in the entire series. I capped out luck of all things it blew my mind. Any suggestion on who to pair him with? There has to be one of the children that with good stats would be super broken. I assume the My Unit one would be, but since mine is a guy that's not happening.

Mudo

I bought this last night after reading the glowing reviews. I've not played a FE before but have played turn based strategy games. I am HORRIBLE at them, but for some reason I still love them. I started the game on Classic/Normal - is that going to be OK for me or mabye too easy? I've only played 30 minutes and it's been easy but it's the beginning. I just don't want to get halfway through the game and be steamrolling everything. At the same time, I really don't want to play Hard if it leads me to throw my 3DS across the room. Anyone know if Normal may be OK for me if I'm not good at these types of games? I feel like there might be some area between these 2 difficulties where it'd be perfect for me and if that's the case I'm not sure what to do!

Giolon

Your avatar is the only character who can form a relationship with everybody.

Also party members are not NPCs. :p

Well, they're not the Player Character, so I guess they're...Non-Player Characters, hmmm.... :p (a stretch, I know, but I didn't know what else to call them at the time. call it a brain fart)

Thanks for the info.

KaYotiX

Banned
Just lost Sumia to some Ranger who crit me......UGH. My first loss so far, on Chapter 7 atm. Oh well, Chrom will just have to marry someone else lol.

Neiteio

For awhile I had Chrom paired with my avatar. They went up a support level. Now I have Chrom paired with Sumia because I want them to make babies. Chrom and Sumia can still gain support levels even though I gained one with the avatar, right?

Setre

If there's an option to name your character I usually go with Jace for males and Lillian for females. I just really like both those names for some reason.

I bought this last night after reading the glowing reviews. I've not played a FE before but have played turn based strategy games. I am HORRIBLE at them, but for some reason I still love them. I started the game on Classic/Normal - is that going to be OK for me or mabye too easy? I've only played 30 minutes and it's been easy but it's the beginning. I just don't want to get halfway through the game and be steamrolling everything. At the same time, I really don't want to play Hard if it leads me to throw my 3DS across the room. Anyone know if Normal may be OK for me if I'm not good at these types of games? I feel like there might be some area between these 2 difficulties where it'd be perfect for me and if that's the case I'm not sure what to do!

I suck at SRPGs too and am playing on Normal/Classic. I find the difficulty is just right to me. Mind you I'm only on Chapter 5 (maybe 4, I just beat
Marth
) and I've restarted several times due to characters dying.

For awhile I had Chrom paired with my avatar. They went up a support level. Now I have Chrom paired with Sumia because I want them to make babies. Chrom and Sumia can still gain support levels even though I gained one with the avatar, right?

Yeah. Sumia even gains priority as if she's the same support level as Chrom's other choices, she'll get chosen.

Soulhouf

Just lost Sumia to some Ranger who crit me......UGH. My first loss so far, on Chapter 7 atm. Oh well, Chrom will just have to marry someone else lol.

You monster.
He will end up marrying a nameless farmer if you continue like that lol
I always reset when somebody dies. I can't stand any character dying like that.

No, the only canon known is Chrom/Sumia, everything else is left to speculation - ln fact, the official set of hair colors for the children is impossible to be completely replicated gameplay-wise and it's mostly based on the mothers' hair color.

Gotcha. Just thought there would be some canon pairings because
Lon'qu and Cherche
(I think, would have to check when I get back to the 3DS) have a very specific backstory conversation (she knows things about him pre-story) to the point where it seemed like the "best" combo, in story terms.

Jachaos

I only did that when it was already taking me many turns in PoR and Radiant Dawn and so Bonus EXP wasn't an incentive anymore, but now I always do this. Way too tough otherwise to get healers to be good.

By the way, anyone have recommendations on the best class to have for Maribelle ? I want to get her the skill that raises Avoid by 10 for nearby males first so I'll go for a Master Seal/Second Seal on level 15. Right now she's level 9, been married to MU for a few chapters now and I'm at chapter 10.

Roto13

Gotcha. Just thought there would be some canon pairings because
Lon'qu and Cherche
(I think, would have to check when I get back to the 3DS) have a very specific backstory conversation (she knows things about him pre-story) to the point where it seemed like the "best" combo, in story terms.

Cherche and Gregor
also have a connection from before the game starts. I think a lot of the conversations make it seem like people have really special connections.

Loving Gaius' nickname for Sumia in their support convos,
"Stumbles"
!

I really regret killing Gaius instead of recruiting him. >_>

Mr. Fix

If I save all the S-rank convos and make separate saves for them (and overwrite them after), will they all be recorded in the extras?

Moonlight

Banned
Post Chapter 13 spoilers:

Lucina
is just the greatest, oh my god. Pairing
her
up with Chrom is a whirlwind of death.

Doorman

So, a question to those of you who have the limited edition 3DS bundle: just how nice does it look?

I'm going through kind of a dilemma here; I seriously want to play the game, and the bundle system looked so nice that I'd actually decided to do something I never do and re-buy a system I already have (currently a cosmo black 3DS). I even already have a deal lined up with a friend who wants to buy my current 3DS once I get the new one...except seemingly no stores around here are actually getting the system, even though several stores around now have the game itself in stock.

The wait even has me thinking that, since I've already kind of mentally committed myself to a system change, I may as well just actually "upgrade" and get an XL instead although I'm not so fond of the colors on offer so far. Or, I could just buy the game now and leave my buyer in the lurch. This extra time (since it doesn't look like the cobalt FE system will be around anywhere until the weekend at best) has me wondering if it's worth paying the extra money to have a system that looks a little cooler but isn't tangibly better than what I have already, or if I should even bother using the money on a system change at all. Gaaah this is maddening.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit Anna! You have a healing item. Just stick your ass on the village and let them come to you. Heal on your turn. Why are you so dumb?!

chrono01

Screw it. I know having Chrom marry Olivia will likely be the better choice [for the stats] but I cannot resist Sumia. They are such a perfect pair!

My [current] final list of marriages:

* Chrom x Sumia [for story-reasons]
* Avatar [Chris] x Tharja [for magic reasons, also, for Galeforce]
* Frederick x Olivia
* Gaius x Sully [for Galeforce]
* Libera x Lissa
* Henry x Maribelle
* Donnel x Nowi [for Galeforce]
* Vaike x Cherche
* Stahl x Cordelia
* Lon'qu x Panne
* Virion x Miriel

I'm still not 100% decided, but I think I'm pretty happy with it [this was a lot harder than I thought it would be!].

One quick question, though [regarding the Logbook]. I know you can "register" a character in the Logbook and then later recruit them for a certain amount of Gold, but does that extend across difficulties? For instance, could I bring my MU from my Normal/Classic run into Hard/Classic [after paying]? Also, if so, how would that work when it comes to recruiting them? If I brought over my Normal/Classic Olivia, and then recruited her in Hard/Classic, would I then have two?

I'm a little confused. @_@

So when should I be using Master Seals on my team? At level 10? Level 20? Or somewhere within that range?

Also, is there a skill tree anywhere that lists the skills for each character/class and what levels they're earned?

Prax

Finally finished chapter 11 because I finally decided on a few pairings:
Chrom x Sully - oh man, this was classic childhood bromance romance and defying expectations and she's a tank and will take care of him lol
Maribelle x Gaius - ooh backstory and debts repaid and it's great xD The noble and the thief.
Sumia x Frederick - because every other guy available to her was married off.. Also, he'll take care of her (though right now she is quite beastly in combat) and he's quite the romantic lol

I still dunno who to pairt my Avatar with. I may end up with Priam at this rate. Urgh. But that's way too popular with fangilrs already I think, and that rubs me the wrong way. >_>

Ri'Orius

Y'know, I was a little worried when I heard that Support was going to matter so much in this game. I played the GBA games and the whole system seemed so opaque it drove me nuts.

But I'm loving it in Awakening: hearts to show you when support goes up, "+10 Hit/etc." pop-ups to let you know when you're getting stat bonuses. And Pair Up, oh goodness Pair Up. Being able to give anyone on my team +4 Str, +4 Def, +1 Mov (and I think a Skill and Speed?) by hooking up Frederick is so good. Letting my healer give my casters +2 Mag at the start of battle when there's nobody worth healing is sweet, and I love that if I see I'm only one or two damage away from killing somebody with the char I want to level, I can just hook 'em up with someone to get the stats they need. I need to build up some support levels so I can get more sweet, sweet stat bonuses out of the deal...

I'm only a few chapters in, but already this game feels way more polished than the GBA ones. Well done, IS.

Fuck Nintendo for messing up this launch.

Depends on your perspective. On one hand, they excite digital launches perfectly. The game was available sharply at 9:00 PM, pacific. On the other, retail copies are a needle in the haystack. Still waiting on my GameStop to receive my preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom