• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaintDeftone

This is my first Fire Emblem game and I'm really diggin' it so far. This is a genre I've always wanted to get into but most games in the genre do an awful job at showing you how to actually play them.

New to the series. Loving this game, even though I'm terrible at it. I started on Normal Classic, and I'm having to restart missions a great deal. I don't mind really, because I basically had no idea what I was doing. I really have to force myself to slow down and be way more cautious than I thought necessary. I'm trying to make it through without losing anybody.

I'm like 6 chapters in and I don't know what to do with Frederick. He's so overpowered compared to the rest of my squad that I'm not sure if I should leave him out for a few battles or what. It seems like when things get a little tough, I end up leaning on him to clean up the messes I've made.

New to the series. Loving this game, even though I'm terrible at it. I started on Normal Classic, and I'm having to restart missions a great deal. I don't mind really, because I basically had no idea what I was doing. I really have to force myself to slow down and be way more cautious than I thought necessary. I'm trying to make it through without losing anybody.

I'm like 6 chapters in and I don't know what to do with Frederick. He's so overpowered compared to the rest of my squad that I'm not sure if I should leave him out for a few battles or what. It seems like when things get a little tough, I end up leaning on him to clean up the messes I've made.

Bench him

Soulhouf

I played the 1st DLC map, OMG so nostalgic with Fire Emblem 4 lovely music and even some characters from that game (Deirdre, Yuria...).
Nintendo you bastards, you'll make me buy all the DLC because of this. Just give me Aira :mad:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You can bring him along, but only use him to get out of jams. Don't send him into the fray to eat up all the Exp. While Exp. is easy to come by in this game (random battles, DLC, etc) you don't want to have a team of low level characters. A few of the early missions on Hard really need Frederick to pull you out of a jam.

Depends on your perspective. On one hand, they excite digital launches perfectly. The game was available sharply at 9:00 PM, pacific. On the other, retail copies are a needle in the haystack. Still waiting on my GameStop to receive my preorder.

I guess we should commend them for not being such a terrible company that they fuck up the digital part of a launch.

zroid

Banned
I am going to play the shiiiit out of this when I get home from class tonight. Chips, dip, and fire emblem. And maybe a greasy 3DS XL.

Ri'Orius

Pair him up with people. He'll give anyone he's paired up with (IIRC) +4 Str, +4 Def, +1 Skill, +1 Speed and +1 Move. It's huge.

The reason he's so powerful is that he's already been promoted. When you characters hit level 10, you'll be able to promote them to advanced classes (eg, Chrom goes from Lord to Great Lord). Frederick, however, is already promoted, meaning even at level 1 he's essentially level 11(ish). And if you lean on him too heavily, your other characters won't get enough XP and it'll be rougher for you eventually.

So first of all, take away his weapons (so he can't attack at all, and thus can't steal XP from your other guys). Then, either pair him up with people for stat bonuses, or occasionally use him as a wall or lure. Put him just at the edge of the enemy's range, so that enemy will come attack him, bringing the enemy in range of your weaker characters.

He's a great help even without weapons. And as you gain experience with the game, you'll be able to find more ways to use him without depriving your squad of XP.

Delio

Is Sumia really the best wife for Chrom? I nknow stats and stuff pass on for the kids and I wonder if she is the best choice.

Socreges

Banned
Damn, a random battle challenge disappeared. Do they appear into infinity basically or if I miss a random challenge on the map does that mean I've missed an opportunity?

I like playing them for the steep challenge as much as the EXP.

Damn, a random battle challenge disappeared. Do they appear into infinity basically or if I miss a random challenge on the map does that mean I've missed an opportunity?

I like playing them for the steep challenge as much as the EXP.

They'll pop up whenever. Don't freak out if you miss some, because others will pop up later. And if you do too many of them you'll be overleveled quickly.

vehn

Should I be pairing up to get the support levels up, or is being next to each other just as good? And if you paired everyone up, wouldn't you basically have half the attacks wach turn?

chrono01

Crap :(
You would think there's at least an individual in this world who can fix other people's weapons.

Yeah, it seems there are not many repair blacksmith's in the world of Fire Emblem. They can forge items, but cannot repair them.

As for how magic "breaks", I'm not even sure. It's probably best not to think about it. :)

There's a fairly rare staff that can fully repair a weapon or magic's uses that itself is one use.

Wow, thanks. Good to know!

Roto13

Yeah, it seems there are not many repair blacksmith's in the world of Fire Emblem. They can forge items, but cannot repair them.

As for how magic "breaks", I'm not even sure. It's probably best not to think about it. :)

Every time a mage casts a spell, they have to pull a chapter out of a book and eat it.

Ok I'm on Chapter 11 and don't want to mess up, so I'm just going to ask and make sure.

In order to support mid battle do you have to do the pair up mechanic? Or how does that work?

I am going to play the shiiiit out of this when I get home from class tonight. Chips, dip, and fire emblem. And maybe a greasy 3DS XL.

I am so with you brother. My wife is out of town tonight so I'm going to get a little crazy - Fire Emblem, some snacks, and a couple beers. Watch out!

Definitely picking up a lot through osmosis in this thread and looking forward to developing my own little strategy. I love games like this where you have an overall "plan" (which characters to level, marriages, etc.) that take hours and hours to execute, bit by bit.

Between this game and Puzzle & Dragons I have a lot of work to do!

CrisKre

This game! This fucking game!!

I have played other FE casually, but this game has me HOOKED! Im tired cause I stayed till 4 am last night. The presentation really elevates this title immensely. Im at chapter 11 atm and loving every minute. Lost a couple troops in the last couple chapters since the difficulty went up considerably.

Very happy to be a 3ds owner right now.

Still nowhisper from any Gamestop nearby about the game :/ That's ok though, gives me more time to plan my pairings... so far I'm going for Chrom/Sumi and Avatar/Olivia

RPGCrazied

Love it. Dat music. Got to chapter 4. How do you get the free dlc characters? I don't see that in the wireless options.

I usually restart if someone dies, but Kellam didn't seem interesting enough to keep. But he got one shotted from a hammer. lol

TheGrue

What's the trigger for enemy units spawning out of the forts? I know if you put a unit on top, it will keep it from spawning. Is it only if the fort is within an enemy unit's move range that there is a chance they will spawn? I don't want to waste guys just standing on top of forts if they don't spawn if the enemy influence is the cause of the spawn.

Prax

What's the trigger for enemy units spawning out of the forts? I know if you put a unit on top, it will keep it from spawning. Is it only if the fort is within an enemy unit's move range that there is a chance they will spawn? I don't want to waste guys just standing on top of forts if they don't spawn if the enemy influence is the cause of the spawn.
No trigger really.
Some enemy or friendly unit on the map will usually say how reinforcements are coming or how you're falling into a trap 2-3 turns before they come out so you can prepare and move everyone away or to block them off.
They may come out a couple of times every other turn and then just stop.
I think they definitely stop early if you kill the map boss, but I'm not sure about it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Question, in Chapter 6 (or any chapter really) if my ally unit
in this case, Marth
gets killed in the battle, does it remove them from the story or whatever? I assume since they're not in my party yet it's okay if they die, right?

Makonero

I finally got through the second Paralogue, and I got nothing for my troubles of saving the town and talking to the girl! UGH.

In other news, I'm really enjoying this on casual. I'm still restarting a whole bunch, but I'm more lenient and relaxed in general. Hard mode is more than enough of a challenge, and I'm feeling underleveled right now, but I'm excited.
I like Panne quite a bit too - I hope she sticks around awhile. Reminds me of all the beast characters from RD (which I definitely never beat, but it was fun).

Well, Lon'qu is dead, and my disdain for the myrmidon class only grows.* I swear FE4 was the only game in which I didn't lose a myrmidon/swordmaster on the first playthrough. Except maybe 11 and 12, but who can remember what anyone's default class was in those games.

* I should say that my feelings about myrmidons are only partly genuine. My first Lyn was RNG-screwed and a huge liability throughout FE7. Ever since then I have tended to let myrmidons stay dead even when I might reset for another unit. Zihark died on my first two FE9 playthroughs, so now I just walk him into the Black Knight as a matter of tradition.

You get a warning before reinforcements arrive. Also, your avatar disturbs me.

Every time a mage casts a spell, they have to pull a chapter out of a book and eat it.

Unless they miss

Reinforcements usually appear on a given turn, or if you move to a particular part of the map, or attack a particular enemy. But those last two are not as common.

So some merchant girl just showed up on the map and has a master seal for 1900 bucks, should I buy it?

Also, when enemies just show up on the map and you can battle them, are they just random battles you can use to grind or ignore if they are too difficult?

Well, Lon'qu is dead, and my disdain for the myrmidon class only grows.* I swear FE4 was the only game in which I didn't lose a myrmidon/swordmaster on the first playthrough. Except maybe 11 and 12, but who can remember what anyone's default class was in those games.

* I should say that my feelings about myrmidons are only partly genuine. My first Lyn was RNG-screwed and a huge liability throughout FE7. Ever since then I have tended to let myrmidons stay dead even when I might reset for another unit. Zihark died on my first two FE9 playthroughs, so now I just walk him into the Black Knight as a matter of tradition.

How does one have a bad Myrmidon? Those fguys are so fast they never get hit.
They've always been my favorite class, because of that and their Crit chance.

DAT Chapter 9 music!
Also, the end of that chapter tugged on my heart strings.

I promoted my level 20 Lissa to a War Cleric. Damn, who knew she'd become crazy powerful?!

Should I be real sad that a thief stole a killer lance (or something like that) from the first sidequest (Donnel) battle? Because otherwise I've had great RNG rolls and got Donny's level so it was a good battle. Dunno if I should restart though...

Should I be real sad that a thief stole a killer lance (or something like that) from the first sidequest (Donnel) battle? Because otherwise I've had great RNG rolls and got Donny's level so it was a good battle. Dunno if I should restart though...

Eh, you'll live. Although Donnel typically gets pretty good growths anyway. I got lucky that chapter, after the thief stole the Killer Lance, Chrom and the green cavalier guy came up under him, blocking his escape, and the archer came to attack us, blocking the second chest. So we killed the thief and the archer and got both treasures in the end.

(stolen treasures become droppable items upon killing a thief, unless they steal more than one item.)

Might be helpful early on if you want to cheese some criticals, but they become pretty common later on.

Pau

I finally got through the second Paralogue, and I got nothing for my troubles of saving the town and talking to the girl! UGH.
You can't recruit her until later, right? But I still need to talk to her? Maybe I should wait until later to do this so I can get through the chapter faster and no need to worry about the NPC doing something dumb...

He stole it on my run, too, but I killed him and he dropped it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is Sumia really the best wife for Chrom? I nknow stats and stuff pass on for the kids and I wonder if she is the best choice.

Technically Olivia has slightly better caps and more class accessibility for the child(ren), but Sumia can still transfer Galeforce, which is the most important thing.

On that note, I've read that the kids start showing up after chapter 13 or so, and that they inherit the last skill from each parent. If I theoretically wanted to transfer Galeforce to a male child, when do the sidequests get "locked" in regarding skills? Grinding a Dark flier to 15 would suck this early in the game, tho I suppose it's my fault for rushing the marriages so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom