• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be real sad that a thief stole a killer lance (or something like that) from the first sidequest (Donnel) battle? Because otherwise I've had great RNG rolls and got Donny's level so it was a good battle. Dunno if I should restart though...

Eh, you'll live. Although Donnel typically gets pretty good growths anyway. I got lucky that chapter, after the thief stole the Killer Lance, Chrom and the green cavalier guy came up under him, blocking his escape, and the archer came to attack us, blocking the second chest. So we killed the thief and the archer and got both treasures in the end.

(stolen treasures become droppable items upon killing a thief, unless they steal more than one item.)

Level Donny to 15, kind of a pain but have Frederick support him, then use a Second Seal to change him into a Mercenary. Finally, sit back and watch him wreck EVERYONE.

Moonlight

Banned
Whoever designed Paralogue 8 should be hung for his crimes. Six enemy reinforcements come out of staircases every turn.

why.jpg

On that note, I've read that the kids start showing up after chapter 13 or so, and that they inherit the last skill from each parent. If I theoretically wanted to transfer Galeforce to a male child, when do the sidequests get "locked" in regarding skills? Grinding a Dark flier to 15 would suck this early in the game, tho I suppose it's my fault for rushing the marriages so quickly.

The moment you start the sidequest.

Technically Olivia has slightly better caps and more class accessibility for the child(ren), but Sumia can still transfer Galeforce, which is the most important thing.

On that note, I've read that the kids start showing up after chapter 13 or so, and that they inherit the last skill from each parent. If I theoretically wanted to transfer Galeforce to a male child, when do the sidequests get "locked" in regarding skills? Grinding a Dark flier to 15 would suck this early in the game, tho I suppose it's my fault for rushing the marriages so quickly.

Skills and stats get locked in when you start the character's respective side chapter.

Edit: Beaten

Just lost Sully at the end of chapter 5 is she worth redoing the chapter over or what?
Her child is one of the few knights available if that's your thing. I think she might be the STR and DEF half of cavaliers with Stahl being the Skill and SPD half, but this all could just be what the RNG gave me.

Roto13

I'm quickly approaching the end of the game and there are still 9 blank spots in my avatar's support list. One of them is Gaius, who I killed. Where do these other eight come from?

chrono01

I'm quickly approaching the end of the game and there are still 9 blank spots in my avatar's support list. One of them is Gaius, who I killed. Where do these other eight come from?

Maybe it's referring to the children, or did you get their Support already?

chrono01

I've recruited all of the kids, too.

Hmm, I'm really not sure then. From what I've heard, DLC/Spotpass characters don't contribute at all to the Support.

I'll do a bit of research. If I learn anything I'll post here [unless someone beats me to it].

Delio

Technically Olivia has slightly better caps and more class accessibility for the child(ren), but Sumia can still transfer Galeforce, which is the most important thing.

Im almost at chapter 13. Crap I need to start grinding Sumia up then.

Bullza2o

Wow this is a very frustrating game. I can't beat chapter 5 --I can't even last 3 turns without someone dying. What should I do?!

Velcro Fly

Finally got the game! Now it's time to design my avatar and maybe think about pairing up my characters! Then it will be time to play! Fuck yes feels good man

This game is awesome so far. Decided this will be the first FE where I stick with all character deaths no matter what, but I'm on Chapter 7 and have only lost Ricken and Donnel so far, both in the same battle due to Wyvern riders.

I've played every FE released in America except Shadow Dragon but this is definitely my favorite so far, I love the pair and support mechanics.

Wow this is a very frustrating game. I can't beat chapter 5 --I can't even last 3 turns without someone dying. What should I do?!

Are you on normal? Don't rush at the enemy. Let them come to you and pick them off. When you do advance on the enemy, try to figure out who you need to kill to maximize your safety, and who you need to keep out of harm's way. Also, retreat to safer ground when you're in trouble.

Didn't get it yet, but I have a few questions.

1. Are there any recruitable enemies where it isn't obvious who you have to speak to them with?
2. Should a Fire Emblem veteran be playing on normal or hard right from the beginning? Keep in mind the only one I played on hard from the beginning and got the usual level of FE normal difficulty was 12.
3. Can I just do whatever I want with the pairings, or is it super unforgiving and possible to massively screw yourself over?

And finally, who's a new FE fan in here and will you check out past games?

Bullza2o

Are you on normal? Don't rush at the enemy. Let them come to you and pick them off. When you do advance on the enemy, try to figure out who you need to kill to maximize your safety, and who you need to keep out of harm's way. Also, retreat to safer ground when you're in trouble.

I'm on hard. Chapter 5 spoilers:
I actually have to rush the enemy so the 2 stray kids can join the rest of my army or else they're doomed. When I do defeat the other ground enemies nearby the Pegasus ones arrive at the scene.

1. Are there any recruitable enemies where it isn't obvious who you have to speak to them with?
2. Should a Fire Emblem veteran be playing on normal or hard right from the beginning? Keep in mind the only one I played on hard from the beginning and got the usual level of FE normal difficulty was 12.
3. Can I just do whatever I want with the pairings, or is it super unforgiving and possible to massively screw yourself over?

1. Most of them are basically Chrom.
3. Nah, you should be fine with pairing up whoever you want.

Ha, just rage quit on the game for the first time. Paralogue Quest 1:
I leveled up the villager so I'd be able to recruit him, and one of the bandits gets a double hit on him afterward. My other nearby soldier hits and I try to finish off the bandit with the villager. The bandit is left with 1 HP and kills my villager on the counter-attack.
Mostly my layout was to blame, but damn was I pissed.

So I'm basically going to do things differently from the past games by starting with 2 files at the same time.

One for Normal so I can enjoy the story and the other for Hard for some challenge. Both are on classic since its tradition.

Avatar is already set, gave him the name Mark because of nostalgia
and when Lyn meets him again
. He also has black hair so that both
Noire
and
Morgan
have canon hair color.

Sorian

Banned
Ha, just rage quit on the game for the first time. Paralogue Quest 1:
I leveled up the villager so I'd be able to recruit him, and one of the bandits gets a double hit on him afterward. My other nearby soldier hits and I try to finish off the bandit with the villager. The bandit is left with 1 HP and kills my villager on the counter-attack.
Mostly my layout was to blame, but damn was I pissed.

That's XCOM baby! Wait.......

Anteo

So I bought the digital version, I really didn't want to wait 2+ weeks for it to get here.
As a FE veteran I'm playing Classic Hard and for some reason the first two chapters felt easier than the demo.

Also just got to Chp 4 and
Sumia is so good, has a amazing base speed she is doubling almost everyone! And is so easy to feed her some kills because of that.

Also.. Dat Music.

Edit: Sneaky hammer user. Nope you will die before getting close. No deaths so far!

I have like three past ones from a friend that I've neglected, but now I will definitely play them.

Anyway, should Lissa be a war cleric or a sage? I've been trying to decide for like half an hour :

Sorian

Banned

I'm loving the game and its my first FE. I want more once I'm done with this. What is/are the best/essential FE entries?

okay so i only have 3100 bucks (havent gotten any new money yet) but the merchant girl showed up and is selling an energy drop (str +2 permanently) for 2500. Should I buy it?

Anteo

okay so i only have 3100 bucks (havent gotten any new money yet) but the merchant girl showed up and is selling an energy drop (str +2 permanently) for 2500. Should I buy it?

Depends, do you have any unit that is falling behind on str that you want to use it on?
Even then you may as well just train the unit.

NeonZ

Not really. This game makes all recruit conditions and special objectives extremely obvious. You won't need to go after a strategy guide for those things here.

I've been playing on hard, and, outside of the DLC, it's definitely harder than FE7 normal/hard so far, closer to Hector Hard mode, although maybe not up there, it has been a while since I played that. On the other hand, normal is a little too easy, although I never went past the first two chapters there, so I don't know how it progresses.

The children will always be at least as good as their parents due to the way their stats are calculated, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Screw this mission with Anna, I've tried it about ten times and no matter how quickly I get to her she dies right before I can help her. This is the kind of crap I really can't stand in SRPG's, she is so incredibly stupid. There are forests all around you and yet you have to let archers take shots at you in the open!?

Ugh.

NateDrake

Screw this mission with Anna, I've tried it about ten times and no matter how quickly I get to her she dies right before I can help her. This is the kind of crap I really can't stand in SRPG's, she is so incredibly stupid. There are forests all around you and yet you have to let archers take shots at you in the open!?

Ugh.

Are you playing on Hard?

Anteo

Ugh.

Is that an optional mission too? I went into the first one and noticed the levels and layout. I need more training before that one.

jwhit28

bah my sully sucks T_T

She's about as good as donny lol.

She does like 1 damage to knights T____T

Try Forging her a good weapon. Depending on what difficulty you are on you can by the box that summons Risen to fight, they always drop stuff you can sell for money. Then outfit everyone with great gear.

KarmaCow

Is that an optional mission too? I went into the first one and noticed the levels and layout. I need more training before that one.

The worst part is that it's so luck based. Even exploiting the fact that certain enemy units will make a bee line to Anna/Village, she can get killed by the stupidest shit.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm playing the first DLC Map, and just lost Donny.

Do character permanently die when playing the DLC Maps as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom