• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay so I'm doing the first dlc battle
does it matter if the characters that aren't part of my team but are on my side for the battle (Ike, Marth, etc.) die? Because Ike just died and I was wondering if that will cause any issue?

chrono01

does it matter if the characters that aren't part of my team but are on my side for the battle (Ike, Marth, etc.) die? Because Ike just died and I was wondering if that will cause any issue?
Nope. Hell, Marth can die and it won't matter. As long as you win that's all that matters.

Roto13

That doesn't matter.

Chrom

Not really. They're just allies and there's nothing special if you keep them alive by the end of the map.

Initial thoughts:

- Gameplay: Classic Fire Emblem gameplay is in tact. Addictive as ever. The refined menu and navigation system is at its apex. The pairing and doubling really shakes up the mechanics in how I tackle a chapter.

- Difficulty: Hard mode is not a cakewalk, but it feels like it should be tougher. I have played the first 4 Paralogues, but will not do any skirmishes, DLC, or Spotpass. I'm thinking for my second playthrough, I'll do a Hard run with no Paralogues. I don't like the idea of missing character recruits, but I have a feeling Lunatic will be a bit much for me.

The one thing I don't like about the difficulty in this game is the lack of finite EXP. I really prefer the structure of finite EXP. The success of this game pretty much guarantees that the series is done with that. And it's a shame.

I wish Intelligent System included a mode where the rules were more defined. Like a Hard Mode with only 4 Paralogues spread out and no skirmishes. Then I know that the game is balanced for that situation. Now, I sorta have to guess as to what is "fair" and what to avoid in order to not be overpowered. It feels too arbitrary.

- Story: I have no idea how people play these games for story. It's so goofy with simplistic motives and over-the-top characters. Any semblence of nuance in a bad guy
like the effects of Chrom's father on King Gangrel
is wiped out by sheer one-note evilness.

I wasn't expecting a change. It's just a shame because the Fire Emblem structure could really offer a mature story, even within the silly fantasy setting. And I don't mean "mature" in terms of blood and tits. I mean, that the series could genuinely tackle war, occupation, and death in a mature way. Radiant Dawn touched on it a bit, but quickly retreated away from nuance.

I have my own ideas that the series will never live up to. Maybe I'll make a post on it one day.

Screw this mission with Anna, I've tried it about ten times and no matter how quickly I get to her she dies right before I can help her. This is the kind of crap I really can't stand in SRPG's, she is so incredibly stupid. There are forests all around you and yet you have to let archers take shots at you in the open!?

This is the mission I broke my "no reset" rule for. I normally keep playing when deaths are due to my own stupidity, but I wouldn't allow her to die of her own stupidity.

I mean, that's not my fault if she stands out in the open and then gets lit up with arrows and hit by a 33% axe attack. I finally recruited her, but it was tough.

Chrom

Is it a good idea to just class change Stahl instead of promoting him?

You can't really go wrong with anything you do with your units. Just take into consideration the new class's abilities and see what fits best for your party.

Roto13

And finished.

Cherche: Minerva says she still feels [Avatar] is of this world... Also that he smells delicious, but that's neither here nor there....

Socreges

Banned
Initial thoughts:

- Gameplay: Classic Fire Emblem gameplay is in tact. Addictive as ever. The refined menu and navigation system is at its apex. The pairing and doubling really shakes up the mechanics in how I tackle a chapter.

- Difficulty: Hard mode is not a cakewalk, but it feels like it should be tougher. I have played the first 4 Paralogues, but will not do any skirmishes, DLC, or Spotpass. I'm thinking for my second playthrough, I'll do a Hard run with no Paralogues. I don't like the idea of missing character recruits, but I have a feeling Lunatic will be a bit much for me.

The one thing I don't like about the difficulty in this game is the lack of finite EXP. I really prefer the structure of finite EXP. The success of this game pretty much guarantees that the series is done with that. And it's a shame.

I wish Intelligent System included a mode where the rules were more defined. Like a Hard Mode with only 4 Paralogues spread out and no skirmishes. Then I know that the game is balanced for that situation. Now, I sorta have to guess as to what is "fair" and what to avoid in order to not be overpowered. It feels too arbitrary.

- Story: I have no idea how people play these games for story. It's so goofy with simplistic motives and over-the-top characters. Any semblence of nuance in a bad guy
like the effects of Chrom's father on King Gangrel
is wiped out by sheer one-note evilness.

I wasn't expecting a change. It's just a shame because the Fire Emblem structure could really offer a mature story, even within the silly fantasy setting. And I don't mean "mature" in terms of blood and tits. I mean, that the series could genuinely tackle war, occupation, and death in a mature way. Radiant Dawn touched on it a bit, but quickly retreated away from nuance.

I have my own ideas that the series will never live up to. Maybe I'll make a post on it one day.
Agreed completely. I do wonder sometimes if the people in charge of this franchise are not maybe a little childish themselves given the characters and stories they create. Or they could just be trying to appeal to an immature fan base.

One thing I really dislike is how wonderful and noble each main character is. Chrom is no exception, of course, doing things out of the goodness of his heart even as people demand he be more practical. And why are so many of the men in these games terrified of women? They're either hostile, indifferent or chauvinistic, it seems.

I haven't played Awakening yet, so I can't speak on it, but Path of Radiance tackled those themes in a very competent manner.

Agreed completely. I do wonder sometimes if the people in charge of this franchise are not maybe a little childish themselves given the characters and stories they create. Or they could just be trying to appeal to an immature fan base.

One thing I really dislike is how wonderful and noble each main character is. Chrom is no exception, of course, doing things out of the goodness of his heart even as people demand he be more practical. And why are so many of the men in these games terrified of women? They're either hostile, indifferent or chauvinistic, it seems.

And you can't be wonderful and noble without a requisite
Christlike sacrifice of Emmeryn.

I think Permadeath + politics + war could really equal something so much greater than they're doing now. But alas, that's not why I play these games.

I haven't played Awakening yet, so I can't speak on it, but Path of Radiance tackled those themes in a very competent manner.

Ashnard and Ike are about as one-dimensional as you can get, on opposite sides of the spectrum of course. There's quite a bit of silliness and immaturity in Path of Radiance (which is my favorite FE game).

Gestahl

After finishing chapter 20 I'm really struggling to find any relevance the Valm shenanigans have in terms of the actual main plot. A good 7-8 chapters of pointless pissantry, not sure I've ever seen that in a Fire Emblem game. Fuck,
Excellus
didn't even frolic off to the obvious real bad guys like you would expect. Oh well, at least the plot seems to have been rerailed after that snoozefest.

So I can either promote Chrom to a Great Lord or the avatar to a Grandmaster. Anyone have any opinions? I figure that Chrom as a Great Lord will be great, but are Grandmasters any good?

hatchx

Banned
I'm a pretty big noon to Fire Emblem. I dabbled with the GBA one for a bit, but I'm really loving this one. The rich presentation really gets me immersed.

QUESTION-

1)
Yes, I keep losing my guys. They die here and there. I'm a little worried because I've lost some important key players, like my healers and my archer. I am always thinking 'should I restart the battle' but I press on. Am I screwing myself?

2)
The weapon equiping setup seems cumbersome. How do I know if a new weapon is better than a current weapon? What does it mean when a weapon is blue vs grey vs brown. It doesn't seem very easy to know what advantage a new weapon has over an old one. I just end up forging the ones I have....

how the fuck do you level up support with lissa? I guess it's easier once I promote her?

hmmm.... pairing her up would help, but I feel like having a cleric in a pair up has zero benefits unless your cleric needs rescuing.

Ashnard and Ike are about as one-dimensional as you can get, on opposite sides of the spectrum of course. There's quite a bit of silliness and immaturity in Path of Radiance (which is my favorite FE game).

I guess there's some truth to that. I suppose why I bring up PoR anytime a discussion about FE is brought up is because of how much I loved the characters, and how they drew me into the world -- regardless of how "silly" it might be at times.

If Awakening can do that at all, then I'll be happy.

I liked Radiant Dawn a lot, but I have mixed feelings about it as well. Largely because the characters just weren't as interesting - for the most part.

Socreges

Banned
Are master seals scarce? I'm no where near where I want to be to promote a unit or change its class, but should I be buying these seals anyhow?

Chrom

1)
Yes, I keep losing my guys. They die here and there. I'm a little worried because I've lost some important key players, like my healers and my archer. I am always thinking 'should I restart the battle' but I press on. Am I screwing myself?

Yeah, especially for the females.

2)
The weapon equiping setup seems cumbersome. How do I know if a new weapon is better than a current weapon? What does it mean when a weapon is blue vs grey vs brown. It doesn't seem very easy to know what advantage a new weapon has over an old one. I just end up forging the ones I have....

View the weapon descriptions by tapping on them. Blue means the weapon is forged (stronger than normally possible), I think. Grey means the unit holding the weapon can't wield it. I don't remember there being a brown color.

I'm loving the game and its my first FE. I want more once I'm done with this. What is/are the best/essential FE entries?

FE7 on the GBA, which is just called Fire Emblem in America because it was the first localized one, is great starting point after Awakening. Of course, they're all great games with the exception of Shadow Dragon. It's a very consistent series.

I've been playing on hard, and, outside of the DLC, it's definitely harder than FE7 normal/hard so far, closer to Hector Hard mode, although maybe not up there, it has been a while since I played that. On the other hand, normal is a little too easy, although I never went past the first two chapters there, so I don't know how it progresses.

Damn, so it's either too easy or reset central :/. Guess I'll go with hard at first.

Played the demo and loved it. Just wondering if losing characters is such a big deal? The game can still be completed, right? To those who have completed the game, how many characters did out lose along the way, and how did it affect your overall performance? I am slightly OCD about losing characters, so I'm thinking I might just play Casual mode, but I'm also afraid of denying myself the classic experience. Does anyone else think this?

Roto13

Played the demo and loved it. Just wondering if losing characters is such a big deal? The game can still be completed, right? To those who have completed the game, how many characters did out lose along the way, and how did it affect your overall performance? I am slightly OCD about losing characters, so I'm thinking I might just play Casual mode, but I'm also afraid of denying myself the classic experience. Does anyone else think this?

If you think losing characters will bother you enough to keep you from enjoying the game, by all means, play casual mode. The "classic" experience is less important than having fun with the game.

NeonZ

I've just class changed Marth to myrmidon in order to get more skills... I'm kind of surprised that Lodestar apparently has bases comparable to promoted classes though. I had never bothered comparing them before. I guess that's why Marth's base stats seemed so good for his level, and that gives a reason for the player to stick in that class, besides the ability to wield rapiers. I might just reclass him back to Lodestar after I'm done getting skills from the myrmidon/swordmaster line.

Also, it's possible to have a green spotpass unit and a monster unit in the same space of the world map. The result is a skirmish battle where the bonus team is allied to the player, fighting against the monsters. Pretty interesting detail. Although, I think Florina will just be killed here...

AGITΩ

I'm grinding on the DLC map way too much. I havent even started Chapter 6 (Hard) yet and my Avatar was Lvl 15...just Promoted him to a Grandmaster.

I wasn't too far off from my prediction...

I thought the avatar would end up being some sort of unknowing puppet of Validar, and now I see that Plegia's Hierophant looks just like my tactician... spooky stuff...

YO THESE TWISTS OH MAN!

If you think losing characters will bother you enough to keep you from enjoying the game, by all means, play casual mode. The "classic" experience is less important than having fun with the game.
It bothers me a little but not so much that I won't try classic out. I think it is probably better to play classic as it enforces greater strategy.

Setre

Another question.

If my waifu, or someone else's waifu/husbando, dies is that character/me permanently widowed?

TWILT

Banned
Well, just started my female avatar playthrough. Really interesting so far. Kinda tempted to marry Chrom even if I do ship Chrom X Sumia.

Quick Q! How long does it take to open up StreetPass?

I'm leaving for a con on Friday but wasn't sure if I would dive deep into the game by then (although I really should).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom