• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm only in chapter 4 on Normal so far, but Jesus, Me/Chrome as a pair really>>>>>>everything else.

Quick Q! How long does it take to open up StreetPass?

I'm leaving for a con on Friday but wasn't sure if I would dive deep into the game by then (although I really should).

Not sure if StreetPass needs to be unlocked, but the Outer World gate is unlocked after chapter 4.

yami4ct

Quick Q! How long does it take to open up StreetPass?

I'm leaving for a con on Friday but wasn't sure if I would dive deep into the game by then (although I really should).

All the extra features open up pretty quickly. Pretty sure streetpass opens with the Spotpass stuff right around chapter 4. It may be with the DLC stuff around chapter 5, but either way it's no more than a couple hours in.

Neiteio

I know I'm only in chapter 4 on Normal so far, but Jesus, Me/Chrome as a pair really>>>>>>everything else.

Not sure if StreetPass needs to be unlocked, but the Outer World gate is unlocked after chapter 4.
34425304.jpg

NeonZ

That's weird.

It's due to how the past-game characters were implemented here. In the Iwata Asks about Awakening, they talked about how the DLC and Spotpass characters were a last minute idea, and you can kind of see it in things like that. The Bonus/Spotpass teams use basically the same engine that's used for Streetpass teams with very small tweaks. Even the number of lines they have (3, intro, battle and joining) is taken directly from the streetpass feature.

Anyway, after you buy a item from a streetpass team, they disappear, and, because the player can't call them at will, that's a significant problem. However, the spotpass teams can be called at any time, so that problem basically doesn't exist, and the team disappearing after selling one item becomes just an unintuitive interface. The whole set up is just there because they're reusing the same system they had originally built for streetpass.

I really like the fanservice though, and I hope we'll see another FE where they'll have the feature in mind since the beginning.

yami4ct

Huh? It was put online right on time.

Pretty sure any reference to screwing up the launch has to due with the physical version being in extremely short supply. Given it seems 3DS cartridges in general are experiencing a shortage with the surprisingly extreme popularity of Animal Crossing in Japan, it's not too surprising. Still, really sucks for those who want physical copies.

I'm enjoying the game but I'm finding the inventory and shop system to be a bit overcomplicated. I find it hard to even compare two weapons, what am I really looking for as a better weapon?

vehn

ugh even remember reading about finding a second seal in chapter 5, but I just beat chapter 5 and didn't get the last sparkly item from the village. Then i saved over it 5 minutes later and remembered I missed it :/

yami4ct

I'm enjoying the game but I'm finding the inventory and shop system to be a bit overcomplicated. I find it hard to even compare two weapons, what am I really looking for as a better weapon?

Under each weapon is a set of stats. First is a required skill level letter, second is base damage, next is a hit chance, then is a crit chance, then the range and finally a special effect. Those effects are represented by an icon and usually are things like extra damage to a certain type of enemy. For example, Rapiers do extra damage to mounted enemies, hammers to armored, and the Falchion to dragons. There's general "types" of weapons you'll find as well. Things like your basic types. Bronze<Iron<Steel<Silver. Also things like Killer weapons with high crit chance. It's kind of complex, but you'll learn it over time.

so... am I suppose to save those merchants in challenge maps? Can you even rescue them?

It's kinda lame that all AI in this game, friend or ally are suicidal as fuck. Will there ever be a FE game where baddies care about survival as much as you do?

Prax

Under each weapon is a set of stats. First is a required skill level letter, second is base damage, next is a hit chance, then is a crit chance, then the range and finally a special effect. Those effects are represented by an icon and usually are things like extra damage to a certain type of enemy. For example, Rapiers do extra damage to mounted enemies, hammers to armored, and the Falchion to dragons. There's general "types" of weapons you'll find as well. Things like your basic types. Bronze<Iron<Steel<Silver. Also things like Killer weapons with high crit chance. It's kind of complex, but you'll learn it over time.

Isn't it actually much simpler than most RPGs and the like? You just pick whatever you feel you have the best chances with surviving.

Sometimes you want a weapon that will definitely give you a critical, sometimes you want a crappy weapon so you don't kill your buffer enemy. >_> Sometimes a weapon will kill a horse really well, but kind of sucks in a regular situation. And sometimes a weapon is kind of weak and miss more often, but you really really want to pick off a target from range so you go with a throwing axe of javelin.
I guess it's not like most RPGs where you can just keep "upgrading" and be safe after all since weapons can be much more situational. XD

In general though, steel is plentiful and pretty powerful, so they will work in most situations (unless you character is still learning and has to use iron or bronze class weapons). Same goes for El-spells.

yami4ct

Isn't it actually much simpler than most RPGs and the like? You just pick whatever you feel you have the best chances with surviving.

Sometimes you want a weapon that will definitely give you a critical, sometimes you want a crappy weapon so you don't kill your buffer enemy. >_> Sometimes a weapon will kill a horse really well, but kind of sucks in a regular situation. And sometimes a weapon is kind of weak and miss more often, but you really really want to pick off a target from range so you go with a throwing axe of javelin.
I guess it's not like most RPGs where you can just keep "upgrading" and be safe after all since weapons can be much more situational. XD

In general though, steel is plentiful and pretty powerful, so they will work in most situations. Same goes for El-spells.

I think the worst part would be they don't really explain what the stats mean, but I didn't pay attention much in the tutorial since I've played so many FE games. You wouldn't know about weapon rank unless you opened up your stats screen and saw the letter. Also, those icons took a second or two for me to figure out. Kind of general. The one for "horse" in particular is kind of non-specific. Seems like it could have referred to any infantry.

Alright, looks like I'm getting this one. The customization for the gameplay looks too good to pass up. Tactical RGPs are a bit slow for me, but looks like you can address many things just in how you select your options.

Will post impressions once I pick it up!

Prax

I think the worst part would be they don't really explain what the stats mean, but I didn't pay attention much in the tutorial since I've played so many FE games. You wouldn't know about weapon rank unless you opened up your stats screen and saw the letter. Also, those icons took a second or two for me to figure out. Kind of general. The one for "horse" in particular is kind of non-specific. Seems like it could have referred to any infantry.

Yeah, you are right. I don't think they really explain unless you look in the "HELP" section maybe. Or maybe they do explain, but on normal mode? I haven't looked there. I kind of depend on prior FE knowledge. XD

Horse icon is effective against any horse-mounted units (including pegasus knights, I think). Pegasus icon = any flying (including dragon/wyvern knights), Wyvern icon = only wyvern. ?? See, even I don't really know. I just test it during battle.

When you're buying for a person in the army (even if their equipment list is full), weapons are greyed out if they are beyond the unit's level, right? I don't remember!

yami4ct

Oh look. Just found out in Chapter 6
Marth isn't Marth. Also, she's a woman
. Totally didn't see that one coming. Quick question
How'd she hide her long hair with that mask? It just sort of appeared out of nowhere when it got cut up.

Velcro Fly

About to start a playthrough on casual mode. Is there anything that is permanently missable in terms of side chapters? Will be doing my best to recruit everyone if that makes a difference.

In general though, steel is plentiful and pretty powerful, so they will work in most situations (unless you character is still learning and has to use iron or bronze class weapons). Same goes for El-spells.

OK thanks guys. I guess I was just getting a little overwhelmed especially since I have so many party members (compared to most turn based games I played.)

yami4ct

When you're buying for a person in the army (even if their equipment list is full), weapons are greyed out if they are beyond the unit's level, right? I don't remember!

Yeah, they are. If you don't know about skill letters, I'm sure you might be thinking "why the heck can't my lance guy use this more powerful lance?" or something like that.

Hero

Is Olivia worth taking with me and leveling up? I remember taking a Dancer in one of the previous FE games but don't recall if it was worth it.

yami4ct

Is Olivia worth taking with me and leveling up? I remember taking a Dancer in one of the previous FE games but don't recall if it was worth it.

I've never actively tried to level up a dancer, but they've really only have situational use for my strategies. Sure, having an extra move is nice, but protecting them can be a real pain. Do they have an upgrade to worry about in awakening?

Moonlight

Banned
I went from wondering why I was bothering to Olivia with loving her. That extra turn she gives can be unbelievably useful, and she is by far one of the easiest characters in the game to level. It helps she can take care of herself to a certain point as well when you grind up her sword proficiency enough.

yami4ct

So, just found out the villager doesn't auto-promote in awakening. So, is it worth it to try to grind Donnel to 30 and than switch or should I take him to like ~20 before moving him to a class I don't have to babysit?

Prax

But she is the best kind of dancer! A dance fighter!!! *___*
I really liked those units in FE4 anyway (even though I didn't really like either Silvia or Leen lol). And from her growths.. it looks like she can be a dodging and criticalling machine.
I suppose if you switched her to another class, she'd be even awesomer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So my MC may have just poisoned Sully and tried to blame her for it...

Oh look. Just found out in Chapter 6
Marth isn't Marth. Also, she's a woman
. Totally didn't see that one coming. Quick question
How'd she hide her long hair with that mask? It just sort of appeared out of nowhere when it got cut up.

The voice didn't tip you off? Or do you have it set to Japanese?

Fuck me. I am feeling overwhelemed at chapter fucking 6 about who to use and who not to use and it will only get worse, i know.

My obsession with trying to farm as much affection between characters is making me obsessive over teaming them up, thus losing a 2nd unit that could make a world of difference. DAMN directional squares meaning nothing!

Dancers are pretty useful since they have their own pool of exp instead of having to rely on killing stuff which makes them easy to level up. They also pretty much become dodging machines anyway with all that growth in speed and luck.

So, just found out the villager doesn't auto-promote in awakening. So, is it worth it to try to grind Donnel to 30 and than switch or should I take him to like ~20 before moving him to a class I don't have to babysit?

Getting to level 15 is probably the minimum to learn that villager's exclusive skill, then go ahead and never look back at his villagers days.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
uh what the fuck, I'm fighting a boss by blocking the bridge with Lon'Qu and the boss just walks on water and kills Virion. It's not a wyvern rider, he's just a Berserker and he's standing on a water tile.

Does the computer get to make its own rules?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
uh what the fuck, I'm fighting a boss by blocking the bridge with Lon'Qu and the boss just walks on water and kills Virion. It's not a wyvern rider, he's just a Berserker and he's standing on a water tile.

I know pirates in older games could walk on water. Berserkers might have a limited version of that ability, they're a similar class.

Berserkers as they are the promoted class of both pirates and brigands can cross mountains and water.

Walking on water is kindof a Berserker's thing.

It doesn't matter how strong your relationship with Lissa or any non marriage people is for Chrom right? I mean in terms of getting to marry Olivia?

I have started over a few times. I can't figure out the best difficulty for a newbie.

I started hard - classic but the tutorial doesn't pop up like on normal. Also I was losing the soldiers It kept sending me.

I think I am going to start over again on normal - classic since normal casual just seems like a babies toy.

cool thanks

and bullions are only for selling right? No need to keep them around?

Also, Lon'qu is ridiculous, should I avoid using him too much so I don't break that amazing killing edge?

cool thanks

and bullions are only for selling right? No need to keep them around?

Also, Lon'qu is ridiculous, should I avoid using him too much so I don't break that amazing killing edge?

Bullions are the primary way of making money, so yes.

Well, up to you. Killing weapons become common later on and he can be awesome with another weapon. Maybe.

Effect

Forgot how frustrating Fire Emblem can be. Get all the way to the end of a stage and the one person that can't die, that you've been keeping alive the entire time so you can recruit them ends up dying because suddenly this single archer can somehow double shoot when it hasn't been before. *shakes head* Ugh. I'm done with the game for the night. Really considering starting over in casual mode for my first playthrough just to take some of the frustration out. Or maybe I shouldn't have started on Hard. I'm not to far into the game. Just unlocked the wireless features so I can still start over and quickly get back to where I am now.

What might be better? Normal Classic or Hard Casual? Currently on Hard Classic..

Velcro Fly

No matter what in games like this I always feel like I'm either not leveling up enough or I'm using too many characters and spreading my exp too thin to be effective later in the game. Really don't want to grind or start playing musical chairs with classes and stats until the postgame though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom