• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whelp..I got Frederick killed. Well..more like unusable in battle now. Guess he has to stick around for story purposes. Any reason I should go back and pick up the guy I mainly used as bait for the others anyway?

The weapon equiping setup seems cumbersome. How do I know if a new weapon is better than a current weapon? What does it mean when a weapon is blue vs grey vs brown. It doesn't seem very easy to know what advantage a new weapon has over an old one. I just end up forging the ones I have....

I'm enjoying the game but I'm finding the inventory and shop system to be a bit overcomplicated. I find it hard to even compare two weapons, what am I really looking for as a better weapon?

This seems to be a theme here. You're not the first to say this in this thread. I always thought the FE system was much simpler than other RPGs because each weapon has a specific purpose, and there aren't many weapon types to begin with. Iron weapons are weak but reliable, Silver is strong but wears out quickly and misses a lot, Steel is in the middle. Javelins and Handaxes attack at range but aren't good for much else. And Killers crit, and Braves go twice.

Everything is in the description, which you can see if you tap stuff on the bottom screen.

Finally got my copy. Can't wait to really get started.

Is a character given a limited number of supports like Sacred Stones? (e.g. max of 3 characters)

More importantly, will there be any librarian waifus?

mqoKA8j.jpg

Also no, a character can get an A-support with all of their support partners.

Giolon

Should I play this on Normal or Hard? I only played Path of Radiance on Easy back in the day, and can't remember what I played parts of the GBA games on.

Busaiku

Granted I've still got a long way to go, but I'm having trouble deciding on who to pair Robin with.
So far only Lissa seems to be ok, but it's Lissa...

Chrom

That's not entirely true anymore, right? Now that you can reclass pretty much endlessly? I'm still a "wait till 20 to promote" kind of player, but I'm toying with the idea of promoting at the final skill from now on (10 or 15) since in theory this should work better...no?

It should, yeah. It's actually more efficient to change classes as soon as your unit learns the second class skill since there's little reason to delay until you cap the level.

Gestahl

Granted I've still got a long way to go, but I'm having trouble deciding on who to pair Robin with.

Wait until Chapter 13 before you make any Avatar marriage decisions. Not really a spoiler more a game mechanic about marriage but!
The Avatar can marry and have children with the 2nd generation. It's really fucked up!

She's physically incapable of expending a use of her stone+ and can solo mid-late game skirmishes, after like 20 minutes of curb-stomping Matthew. I don't think I'll ever be able to play hard mode again after the one-two punch of her and Donnel.
I can't decide if I want to keep her a Manakete, or reclass her. I wanted her to be a Sorcerer, but that's impossible if I want Aptitude. I think she'd make a sweet Dark Knight or Sage though.

So many choices.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It should, yeah. It's actually more efficient to change classes as soon as your unit learns the second class skill since there's little reason to delay until you cap the level.

It's a cost-benefit analysis of getting the extra stats versus your "internal level" going much higher and taking that much longer to level after using second seals.

Theoretically, you can promote at 10 and second seal at promote-15 and get all the skills and still eventually max stats more quickly compared to 20/20ing unless you get crazy rng.

Depends on how much you wanna break the game wide open with some of the promote level 15 skills.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Anna, guy. ANNA!!! If you've played older Fire Emblem games, she's been in basically all of them, so if your avatar is "you," she's the character you have the longest relationship with!

Also hubba hubba.

Anna, guy. ANNA!!! If you've played older Fire Emblem games, she's been in basically all of them, so if your avatar is "you," she's the character you have the longest relationship with!

Also hubba hubba.

She's also got a boyfriend already. Who carries a big axe.

but I don't even care, Me x Anna is too poetic to pass up

Effect

Are there any essential characters that stick around no matter what in classic mode for story reasons, maybe can't battle anymore though? Or can everyone be killed and not show up again?

Moonlight

Banned
I got this game a week earlier than most people and a ton of people are pretty clearly far ahead of me. My progress in this game has gone laterally since Chapter 13, I spent all of yesterday mixing up my party composition to grind support conversations between characters. And I'm still not even close to finishing the Paralogues.

Emitan

That's not entirely true anymore, right? Now that you can reclass pretty much endlessly? I'm still a "wait till 20 to promote" kind of player, but I'm toying with the idea of promoting at the final skill from now on (10 or 15) since in theory this should work better...no?

I'm promoting at level 15 now but I feel so... inefficient. Gotta get those old strategies out of my head!

JohnTonne

Why? I haven't opened my copy yet but I'm curious.

Since Frederick is already promoted he will start with high stats, but SINCE he is promoted already he gets reduced experience from killing enemies that could go towards your lower level characters to help level them up. Just don't lean on him too much in the early game.

Perma death is there for a reason. I like the challenge and if I mess up then I should be punished. Restarting the map is just cheating IMO but that's just the way I see it
I know man, I completely understand. Though I think restarting a map completely for one mistake is a heck of a punishment as well.

zroid

Banned
Perma death is there for a reason. I like the challenge and if I mess up then I should be punished. Restarting the map is just cheating IMO but that's just the way I see it

That's certainly one way to think of it, but another is to force yourself to implement a strategy in which no unit is defeated. And you keep trying until you get it right.

Aaaagh! I need to turn this game off and go to sleep. I went from "Eh this Fire Emblem thing is kinda cool I guess" to "HOLY SHIT this is the best game ever" tonight. Such a fantastic game. So many different mechanics to think about, the dialogue is actually pretty witty and entertaining, the combat/strategy is fun and deep, music is great, art is great, this is like the perfect game for me.

On a totally unrelated note, this game also made me play around with my 3DS for the first time in a couple months. There is a LOT of stuff on the eshop! I really need to keep up with this stuff.

Chrom

Are there any essential characters that stick around no matter what in classic mode for story reasons, maybe can't battle anymore though? Or can everyone be killed and not show up again?

Frederick and Lissa will still show up, I know that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are, they just need to be activated at the options menu ingame...which is still stupid tbh but at least not as stupid as forgetting to include them.
Yeah, just saw that. So dumb. lol

Speaking of which, any anime nerds know if Sawashiro is female voice #3? I think it is, but I'm not completely sure.

Busaiku

So yeah, is the Paralogue a good place to grind?

Finished chapter 5, only Chrom (level 8), Robin (level 7), and Lissa (level 11 or 12) were matching the enemies in the "random encounter" (which disappeared after beating the 5th chapter).
Everyone else is like 4-5, Stahl is like 3.

I don't wanna have to use Frederick at all, but I've been resetting too much otherwise.

Prax

She must have retreated in critical condition and died of complications after the cutscene finished.

She'll keep appearing though! lol
Over and over again!
She's a story-critical character, so she'll just stay wounded forever.

This is the first Fire Emblem I've ever actually put time into, and I cannot believe how addictive this game is! And hard at times! Paralogue 1 was brutal.

Didn't the DS game have a single use save point in levels?

Without that I can't imagine playing classic. For fucks sake, on normal I feel overwhelmed at times. You expect me to cross the map asap to save someone and lose two guys getting there. No thank you game.

Its so weird. I loved the last three releases in the US, but can't imagine how I got over starting whole levels again after deaths. The patience of youth I guess.

Giolon

Didn't the DS game have a single use save point in levels?

Without that I can't imagine playing classic. For fucks sake, on normal I feel overwhelmed at times. You expect me to cross the map asap to save someone and lose two guys getting there. No thank you game.

Its so weird. I loved the last three releases in the US, but can't imagine how I got over starting whole levels again after deaths. The patience of youth I guess.

The "Bookmark" Save is only available in Classic Mode apparently, not in Casual.

Oh my. I just witnessed a slaughter. D:

Sully kept counterattacking, continuously freeing up the space in front of her for more and more troops. DEAD.

Frederick got 4% critical'd by a horse bowman that totally flanked me. Wounded Forever. RETREAT.

And then that wyvern chick... well, I have no excuses. I tried to use her to tank after Sully fell, and... yeah, that didn't go well. Wounded Forever. RETREAT.

I must not reset. Must go forward. This is war, after all.

Prax

Oh my. I just witnessed a slaughter. D:

Sully kept counterattacking, continuously freeing up the space in front of her for more and more troops. DEAD.

Frederick got 4% critical'd by a horse bowman that totally flanked me. Wounded Forever. RETREAT.

And then that wyvern chick... well, I have no excuses. I tried to use her to tank after Sully fell, and... yeah, that didn't go well. Wounded Forever. RETREAT.

I must not reset. Must go forward. This is war, after all.

Sounds like chapter 12. LOL
I have died a few times on that. Too aggressive. Not enough longterm planning. xD

Ken

Should I pair up Chrom's sister with someone so she can get experience without having to heal all the time?

Prax

Should I pair up Chrom's sister with someone so she can get experience without having to heal all the time?

No. That doesn't work.
You HAVE to heal/use staves in some way with her to gain levels (or get lucky standing on sparkle squares and stuff).
She can't counter attack or attack in paired battles, so she won't gain experience except by healing others.

Ken

No. That doesn't work.
You HAVE to heal with her to gain levels (or get lucky standing on sparkle squares and stuff).
If she can't counter attack or attack, she won't gain experience except by healing others.

How many heals should I stock up on before going into stuff?

How do I decide who to pair with who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom