• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

can I assume that the children characters will be better than any of the current characters? I just read stuff about inheritance stuff and apparently, people are talking about pairings because of class and skills.

Midou

can I assume that the children characters will be better than any of the current characters? I just read stuff about inheritance stuff and apparently, people are talking about pairings because of class and skills.

Yes. I got like half the children so far, got them to about level 15 then promoted them, they are quite awesome. They also have much better supports than the first generation I would say. Quite a bit more entertaining, and not so much about pie.

so uhm Olivia? any reason to keep training her? I totally dont mind losing her as a dancer but it seems she can only be a Pegasus Knight and Myrmidon. If shes really no good, Im gonna bench her.

i find her good as a good pair up partner actually and once she gets a few levels she can hold her own for a while she also has high luck and skill (i think) so she can you the dual attacks and guards more often

its also nice being able to move again if the unit doesnt have gale force.

edit:

The children characters have the potential to be the most broken units aside from the avatar based on how you paired the couples however the grind can be long :p

vall03

Yes. I got like half the children so far, got them to about level 15 then promoted them, they are quite awesome. They also have much better supports than the first generation I would say. Quite a bit more entertaining, and not so much about pie.

damn, the more I read stuff about children inheritance, the more Im excited on training them. Also surprised that the current pairings I did seems to be good (Chrom x Sumia, Avatar x Tharja, Lonqu x Cordelia) Now Im reading that Donnel x Nowi would make Nah uber. Looks like I'll be grinding Support Levels for now.

I must have tried Paralogue 2 for about 3 hours last night but I refused to settle for anything less than a perfect run. I even got to the point where saving Anna wasn't good enough, I had to also make sure the village wasn't destroyed.

There is too much luck involved in that mission for my taste but the best way I found to increase my chances of success was to pair someone with Frederick (I used a cavalier) and sprint him straight through the map to Anna. Once I got there I split them up and used them to keep the archers off of Anna while also making sure I got to the village before it was destroyed. It took forever to get it right but I finally managed.

Chrom

So, how much free DLC are we getting? I got a few yesterday, just wondering if this is going to be weekly or what?

DLC has been said to be weekly. Don't expect anything after Champions of Yore 1 to be free.

SpotPass is different. Expect 12 different Bonus Teams, a couple of Paralogues, some Bonus Challengers, and a number of weapons to be distributed over the months to come. Japan didn't get everything until November, I think.

When you group characters together only one gets experience right? Or do they both get it and it's just not shown?
Only the lead character gets experience unless the supporting unit gets a hit in, in which case both characters will get experience. If an enemy is killed (even by the supporting unit) the experience for the kill goes to the lead unit.

Delio

I must have tried Paralouge 2 for about 3 hours last night but I refused to settle for anything less than a perfect run. I even got to the point where saving Anna wasn't good enough, I had to also make sure the village wasn't destroyed.

There is too much luck involved in that mission for my taste but the best way I found to increase my chances of success was to pair someone with Frederick (I used a cavalier) and sprint him straight through the map to Anna. Once I got there I split them up and used them to keep the archers off of Anna while also making sure I got to the village before it was destroyed. It took forever to get it right but I finally managed.

For that I had Sumia ride Chrom all the way up to Anna. Thankful the archers were gunning for Anna so Sumia could get there safely.

Chrom

When you group characters together only one gets experience right? Or do they both get it and it's just not shown?

One character is a main unit, the other is secondary. The main unit gains experience normally, while the secondary unit only gets experience if they activate Dual Strike and damage the enemy.

This game is consuming my life, and I love it. The only problem I have so far is the damn enemy AI. It is dead set on suicide charging my weaker units no matter what. I swear they treat Lissa as if shes the cornerstone upon which my army stands.

Velcro Fly

The bad part about the DLC is there are a few that are basically pay to win. Maps where everything you kill gives you a fuckload of exp or maps that everything you kill drops an item that sells for a crapload of gold. Almost makes it too easy to grind out everything I want to do after I finish the main game on a file.

For that I had Sumia ride Chrom all the way up to Anna. Thankful the archers were gunning for Anna so Sumia could get there safely.
Yes, I thought about this after I had finished the mission since I noticed that the archers were basically ignoring my units. I'm so trained to keep flying units away from archers that I didn't even think to give it a shot until it was much too late. Oh well!

Honestly I wouldn't have been frustrated with the mission much (regardless of how long it took) if Anna was just smart enough to stay in a forest...

The bad part about the DLC is there are a few that are basically pay to win. Maps where everything you kill gives you a fuckload of exp or maps that everything you kill drops an item that sells for a crapload of gold. Almost makes it too easy to grind out everything I want to do after I finish the main game on a file.
I've decided I'm not going to do any DLC missions on my first run. I'll do some of the challenges though, so it won't be completely "pure."

Midou

damn, the more I read stuff about children inheritance, the more Im excited on training them. Also surprised that the current pairings I did seems to be good (Chrom x Sumia, Avatar x Tharja, Lonqu x Cordelia) Now Im reading that Donnel x Nowi would make Nah uber. Looks like I'll be grinding Support Levels for now.

Yeah, I grinded S-ranks for couples I wanted but didn't use much on the first DLC map, it didn't take too long. For ones where I wanted skill inheritance, I made an effort to use them in battle until they got those skills.

Delio

Yes, I thought about this after I had finished the mission since I noticed that the archers were basically ignoring my units. I'm so trained to keep flying units away from archers that I didn't even think to give it a shot until it was much too late. Oh well!

Honestly I wouldn't have been frustrated with the mission much (regardless of how long it took) if Anna was just smart enough to stay in a forest...

I've decided I'm not going to do any DLC missions on my first run. I'll do some of the challenges though, so it won't be completely "pure."

Oddly enough I only found it out after I had chrom running that way and no one went after him. It was a gamble to use Sumia there but it paid off.

Uhh.. so how's Sumia. Does she need to go to therapy, you sick bastard.

She got so scared that she painted her horse black and is now grinding it to get Galeforce :p

The free DLC mission wasn't very interesting, I'm not sure I'd pay money for more missions like that one. And getting the characters isn't that much of an incentive when you can get them through spotpass and their inability to use supports leaves them kind of gimped.

I assume that on a higher difficulty it's more balanced out.

cjkeats

I've been grinding the DLC all morning, only to be Mr. Indecisive.
LPcz1TI.jpg
halp.

So I finally got my hands on this game after some shenanigans from Amazon, ultimately cancelling my order and picking it up at Best Buy.

I'm three chapters in and loving it. I'm playing normal difficulty on classic mode.

Two questions:

1. I didn't see any DLC in Spotpass. Do I have to get to a certain point in the game before the DLC is available? Or do I go the the eShop? I'm in NA.

2. Why dont' any of the 3d models have feet?

Chrom

The free DLC mission wasn't very interesting, I'm not sure I'd pay money for more missions like that one. And getting the characters isn't that much of an incentive when you can get them through spotpass and their inability to use supports leaves them kind of gimped.

All of the legacy character DLC is like that, yeah, but a few of them have additional incentives that make them more worthwhile, especially Alm's (for Demon Fighter), Eirika's (for Bride), and Ike's (for Limit Breaker).

When they become available, I implore you look into the ones that don't focus on legacy characters, particularly the ones from the second DLC series. Those are much more interesting, I think.

Anteo

So I finally got my hands on this game after some shenanigans from Amazon, ultimately cancelling my order and picking it up at Best Buy.

I'm three chapters in and loving it. I'm playing normal difficulty on classic mode.

Two questions:

1. I didn't see any DLC in Spotpass. Do I have to get to a certain point in the game before the DLC is available? Or do I go the the eShop? I'm in NA.

2. Why dont' any of the 3d models have feet?

1. Need to finish ch 4 or 5 to get to the DLC area. There is a "town" which works as a door to the dlc store and some other things. You can also press X on the map to bring up the menu and go to wireless to check for SpotPass things that are out there.

2. Because reasons.

Dang, how do you guys get levels so quickly.
Besides Lissa, nobody's close to 10, most are under 5, and I just got through Chapter 5.

I have a party of 8 or 9 regulars, my Lissa is lvl 15 too.

What I did is buy those items that give +2 str and +2 def for one battle and use that to help Sumia train. She was really good from the begining though, getting 2 hits to most enemies at lvl one in the chapter she joined. Also use the DLC and other battles to get some extra levels, focus on one character at a time if posible, so you have a "leader" that can make other chapters easier to grind in.

Oh and get a S support ASAP, they are amazing, I got SumiaXChrom and SullyXStahl already.

Also I'm playing Hard Classic.

Edit: Also, DO NOT USE FREDERICK, he is a promoted unit (he starts at lvl 21 actually, just that the player sees lvl 1) and as such he gets less exp per kill than other chars. In the prologue chapter the first thing I did was to unequip his weapon and use him as a meat shield. Then I just droped him.

I'm not very far but was totally getting my ass kicked on Chapter 5 last night. I kept thinking I'd be all right and then a character would get attacked by multiple enemies. It also doesn't help that several of those characters aren't really tough enough to stand on their own yet.

I made it through on my fourth try because I finally put Frederick in. He took out three units in one turn just by countering.

So these extra chapters on the map. Are those mostly there to let you grind a bit?

Also, it's tough deciding who not to put out on the map. And I expected Vaike to be tougher than he is.

Anteo

I'm not very far but was totally getting my ass kicked on Chapter 5 last night. I kept thinking I'd be all right and then a character would get attacked by multiple enemies. It also doesn't help that several of those characters aren't really tough enough to stand on their own yet.

I made it through on my fourth try because I finally put Frederick in. He took out three units in one turn just by countering.

So these extra chapters on the map. Are those mostly there to let you grind a bit?

Also, it's tough deciding who not to put out on the map. And I expected Vaike to be tougher than he is.

Yeah that chapter is hard. What I did was:

Get the mages out of the mountain, pair them up and teleport them with rescue.
Send SumiaXChrom out there to raise hell.
Set KellamXDonnel, and SullyXStahl as your wall in that narrow passage, be carefull with
the aproaching mage.

For the 2 dragons.

Send SumiaXChrom to intercept the dragons, at least one of them.
Use your mages as bait for the second Dragon then kill him.

For the 3 dragons.

Just push forward, they are a non issue at this point, as you have more room to move.

Is Donnell worth training up? That skill looks like it'd make him a high potential character.
I haven't gotten far enough to say from personal experience but based on what I've read in this thread he turns into an absolute killing machine if you train him up. It makes sense, generally in FE the units that start off the weakest end up being some of the best if you train them up.

ultron87

My Avatar has gotten crazy good compared to everyone else here in Chapter 6. I need to use him less. Probably just have him ride shotgun with someone for awhile.

i played and beat Path of radiance for gamecube ..and it's one of my favorite games ever..

This 3DS game is shaping up to be awesome.. the only thing i'm wondering is i'm playing the game on normal..in classic mode character stay dead.

Wondering if i should be playing it on Hard.. I like a challenge. Just don't want it run through the game on normal without any issues. I'd prefer to redo a few chapters and die once in awhile than just rape the game without issues.

Any recommendations? I'm early enough in that i can restart on hard is normal is a breeze.

Damn Chapter 9. The first time I lost Chrom when
he got rushed from behind by those flying dragons that show up unannounced from the back of the map
. On the second go I had it pretty much wrapped up with no deaths but then I put my avatar in a careless position and he got wiped with a 1-hit crit. Oh well. Third time is the charm I guess!

Anteo

i played and beat Path of radiance for gamecube ..and it's one of my favorite games ever..

This 3DS game is shaping up to be awesome.. the only thing i'm wondering is i'm playing the game on normal..in classic mode character stay dead.

Wondering if i should be playing it on Hard.. I like a challenge. Just don't want it run through the game on normal without any issues. I'd prefer to redo a few chapters and die once in awhile than just rape the game without issues.

Any recommendations? I'm early enough in that i can restart on hard is normal is a breeze.

Why dont you try a few chapters in hard? I found it easier than the demo's hard dificulty tbh.

I'd say start over and play on Hard, if you've got that much experience with the series you should be able to handle it.

I've played through the GBA FE's and Hard seems like a nice difficulty to me so far. It is actually a little more challenging than I expected going in, but it has forced me to use the new mechanics more than I would have otherwise and it has definitely caused me to think and make some difficult decisions the way a good FE should. I'd recommend that to you if you don't have any issues with restarting chapters when things go terribly wrong.

The worst part of playing in Hard for me is that I can't make myself continue if I lose a character. I used to carry on once in awhile in the GBA games but so far in Awakening I just can't make myself keep going unless everything goes perfectly. I think that change in attitude is probably due mostly to how important a role the support system plays now.

Why dont you try a few chapters in hard? I found it easier than the demo's hard dificulty tbh.

Yea i think i'll try a few encounters on hard and see the difference..won't take me long to catch up as i can skip the dialogue

on hard i assume the AI is a little smarter and hit a bit harder?

Anteo

Yea i think i'll try a few encounters on hard and see the difference..won't take me long to catch up as i can skip the dialogue

on hard i assume the AI is a little smarter and hit a bit harder?

Yeah, they don't fall for the unarmed jeigan trap as much, and they have increased stats so it will be harder. Just remember that you don have to push forward. Most of the time you can just regroup and go left or right instead, getting less units in your face per turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom