• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

How many heals should I stock up on before going into stuff?

How do I decide who to pair with who?

You don't really have to worry about it too much. You'll eventually find staves and stuff laying around. But maybe buy two extra juuuust in case.

As for pairing, that's up to you and your needs.
Check out her support list and see who you want her to support with.
Or if you find she needs defense, make Frederick pair with her to give her a +4ish defense boost so you won't be as scared of people one-shotting her early in the game if you're using her to heal. That way, you can also leave Frederick as the main unit and only switch to her after moving a far distance if someone further away needs to be healed.
You can also make her pair with a mage to give them a magic power boost.

I wish there was a way to turn off the grunts and one word voiced lines in the non-fully voiced scenes. They are just annoying and make me turn the sound off.

Questions about Second Seals:

1. Is it best to use them on a Promoted Class to knock them back to an Unpromoted Level 1? Or is it best to use it on an Unpromoted Class Level 20?

2. Also, once you change your character to an Unpromoted Level 1, considering they still have all their stats intact, do they still gain EXP like a brand new level one unpromoted character? Because that'd be kinda broken. They'd gain stats and new levels like crazy, right?

Prax

So staves have infinite heals or something? @_@

NO. They will break!
Staves have however many it says. 30, I think. xD
You will just pick up more from villages or standing on sparklies or an enemy that has one might drop them. lol
I don't remember being able to buy them until a later chapter though, so I started having to scrimp and depend on vulneraries more (I was playing on hard though if that makes a difference).

Had anyone streetpassed with this game yet? What happens?

It seems that even if you street pass with someone who doesn't own FE:A, the 3DS will generate a random team on the map. This happened to me today and they while team is full of strong ass promoted units who've bee. Wiping the floor with my crew.

Also, I threw newly promoted Hero Donny into enemy territory in Capter 12. Holy shit, he cleared half the map on his own while equipped with a Killing Edge.

Prax

Is money really hard to come by?
I got that 5k, and am about to splurge on useless crap.

Soso. From what I've played so far (up to chapter 12 right now?).
I have splurged on randomness, stocking up on probably-won't-have-to-use stuff (I really like javelins! And magic variety!), and master and second seals though. >_> So I am constantly poor.

You can grind for money in those optional Risen/wandering enemy map battles. And if you have a certain sword--I forget what it's called--and give it to a high-luck person to kill people with, you might get a money drop out of it.
It was one of the reasons I have died a bunch on chapter 12, actually! I was making Anna try to kill people with that sword and she's a low strength unit and a bit squishy. xD But but.. I was making like.. 5k gold and didn't want to stop and use a better sword to make the kills happen faster.. ;___;

Giolon

So, to follow up on my earlier question - I'm only 3 battles in (nothing I know), and I started on Normal. I find it kind of ridiculous that my PC and Chrom are only taking like 2 damage per hit. Is it worth just starting over on Hard for a more classic Fire Emblem experience or is the difficulty of Normal going to ramp up decently?

So, to follow up on my earlier question - I'm only 3 battles in (nothing I know), and I started on Normal. I find it kind of ridiculous that my PC and Chrom are only taking like 2 damage per hit. Is it worth just starting over on Hard for a more classic Fire Emblem experience or is the difficulty of Normal going to ramp up decently?
Normal is too easy, go with hard.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Normal is too easy, go with hard.
If you're playing on Casual, there's no reason not to go hard I bet. But on Classic, if you're considering a lost unit a lost battle, Normal seems like challenge enough (through Chapter 8 so far).

Moonlight

Banned
Every time someone says normal is too easy, and I look back at all the times I've been running at a difficulty-shaped wall in this game on normal, I start to wonder about myself.

flake

Bah, i have too many awesome character. Don't know who to bring into battle/develop.

Also not sure whether my avatar should marry tharja or corderlia. Decisions, decisions...

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Bah, i have too many awesome character. Don't know who to bring into battle/develop.

Also not sure whether my avatar should marry tharja or corderlia. Decisions, decisions...

Add the samurai chick into that and I feel your feel bro. HOW CAN I CHOOSE JUST ONE

Jarate

Banned
Prince Marth is ludicrous, his level ups have been absolutely bonkers

also, does anyone know to promote him if you just need the Master Seal, or am I going to have to switch his class to something else?

vall03

so uhm Olivia? any reason to keep training her? I totally dont mind losing her as a dancer but it seems she can only be a Pegasus Knight and Myrmidon. If shes really no good, Im gonna bench her.

Velcro Fly

I'm having a hard time deciding on units to use. I'm only past chapter 2 so I guess it's ok, but I feel like I'm wasting XP giving units kills if they aren't going to be around forever. Mostly been getting kills with MU, Chrom, and Sully. Sully is to be my wife for this playthrough. Also I love great defensive units and pairing them up with weaker units, so I'll want to have one of those.

I get so overwhelmed by these games sometimes trying to make my team perfect that it detracts from the experience. It isn't as bad because I guess I can grind the free DLC if I absolutely must. I'm just worried about having a lopsided group.

Also healers level so damn fast on Normal. 25 xp per heal means 4 heals is a level.

As for RNG, I've seen so many 85+% hits miss while getting some really good level ups that I don't know what to make of it.

I know I'm going to end up buying a ton of the DLC and make an effort to get as many units as possible to max level at a good class.

Loving the game so far though. Well worth the effort to find it and well worth the wait.

Mr. Fix

JynKwnb.jpg

Old Hubba knows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Newbie question - is "Heal" using the staff a consumable item? I've noticed that the count is going down, but the game doesn't really explain what happens if it goes down to 0...

chrono01

Newbie question - is "Heal" using the staff a consumable item? I've noticed that the count is going down, but the game doesn't really explain what happens if it goes down to 0...

Indeed it is. Once it reaches 0 it will break and you'll have to purchase/find a new healing staff.

chrono01

Gack. Do you get gold later on? I'm in chapter 3 or 4 and I haven't really gotten any more so I have been afraid to buy new items.

Yeah, later on enemies will begin dropping items called "Bullions" that sell for a decent amount. I've also heard that some items can "steal" gold from enemies.

Also, if you're on Normal, you can also grind for gold by purchasing a Reeking Box for 500G, completing it, and selling the Bullion that drops for 1000 gold. One small bullion is gauaranteed to drop with each Skirmish and you can keep using this trick to not only grind out gold but XP/support as well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At chapter 5 already and only have 1 bullion lol There's no way to farm gold?

Also anyone find this weird glitch where, if you are playing with Japanese voices and did a soft-reset, when you continue the voices becomes English?

Yeah, later on enemies will begin dropping items called "Bullions" that sell for a decent amount. I've also heard that some items can "steal" gold from enemies.

Also, if you're on Normal, you can also grind for gold by purchasing a Reeking Box for 500G, completing it, and selling the Bullion that drops for 1000 gold. One small bullion is gauaranteed to drop with each Skirmish and you can keep using this trick to not only grind out gold but XP/support as well.

The fact items are cheaper on Normal than Hard seems absurd to me.

chrono01

I agree. To be honest, it seems a bit too easy to grind for gold on normal, it really shouldn't be as simple as it is.

Of course, it doesn't have to be abused, but the temptation is always there. >_<

knkng

Also anyone find this weird glitch where, if you are playing with Japanese voices and did a soft-reset, when you continue the voices becomes English?

Yes, this is happening to me as well. Every time I restart the game I have to toggle the voice options back and forth to get the Japanese back.

But otherwise the game has been amazing so far.

chrono01

Hmm, since weapons are "consumables" as well, I guess you need to keep buying new weapons too?

You got it!

Some weapons in the game aren't consumable, though, but supposedly they're rare [most obtained in DLC]. Also, if you have the Armsthrift skill you can use weapons without reducing their number. Unfortunately, there's no skill that does the same for magic [as far as I know].

Gestahl

I can't decide if I want to keep her a Manakete, or reclass her. I wanted her to be a Sorcerer, but that's impossible if I want Aptitude. I think she'd make a sweet Dark Knight or Sage though.

So many choices.

Well I stuck someone to her and had her solo Jaffar and Nergal, so I'm thinking Manakete is pretty good. Having Galeforce would double her destructosity but getting it feels like a huge waste of time and her survivability would plummet without the stone bonus.

I started trying to level Gaius and I don't think I've ever been so screwed by the RNG in Fire Emblem. He consistently only gets +1 to two different stats each time he levels.

NeonZ

It's to make it slightly harder to grind. Lunatic take things up even more, with monster encounters that are pretty much unbeatable until near the ending of the game and no experience from battling against bonus groups. Of course, the apid DLC breaks all that.

Old Hubba knows.

I know it's supposed to be random, but the results sometimes end up surprisingly believable even for the first attempts...

Serra x Chrom

Serra -> head over heels
Chrom -> expects betrayal

Rubba: "Unrequited love? Boooring!"

I guess she doesn't have luck with lords. And his rival?

Serra x Vaike

Serra -> fashion disaster
Vaike -> into the same foods

Rubba: "This might take some work."

Heh. I could actually see something like that in a support conversation.

Pr. Marth x Cordelia

Pr. Marth-> Into different things
Cordelia -> True love

Rubba: "Unrequited love? Boooring!"

Hi, Catria's reincarnation!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes, this is happening to me as well. Every time I restart the game I have to toggle the voice options back and forth to get the Japanese back.

But otherwise the game has been amazing so far.

Ahh darn, oh well.

Velcro Fly

Are magic users worth leveling? I got Miriel at level 1 and she's really squishy. I got a Reeking Box from a sparkly spot on the ground so I decided to use it and almost got her to level 3. Her and Virion are my ranged group right now and it's nice having a unit or two that can attack from two squares away to finish off near dead enemies.

Also some of the symbols are really confusing as to what they are and what they mean under weaknesses. I really wish the instruction manual listed what they meant or something because it's tough. I ran Kellam into a dude with a hammer and he got one shot because I didn't know.

All in all I put in 3 hours today and it was really fun. Not quite as overwhelmed as I've felt in the past playing SRPGs. I feel a tiny bit cowardly playing on casual but I'm still learning fire emblem.

NeonZ

Hey, I actually got one sentence out of Florina after she joined my party.

She (and likely every other past game character) says "What's this...?", when she finds an item in one of the shinning tiles. Kind of amusing, considering how every other quote so far had been things like "...!" and "...!!!".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I got my avatar married to Sully
and I went right into the barracks
and the bottom screen is sully saying 'Get your ass back to bed'

uhm.

M3d10n

Also some of the symbols are really confusing as to what they are and what they mean under weaknesses. I really wish the instruction manual listed what they meant or something because it's tough. I ran Kellam into a dude with a hammer and he got one shot because I didn't know. .

Touch them and you'll get a tooltip explaining what they mean. Nearly everything in the bottom screen is touchable and will show an explanation.

Delio

It's a cost-benefit analysis of getting the extra stats versus your "internal level" going much higher and taking that much longer to level after using second seals.

Theoretically, you can promote at 10 and second seal at promote-15 and get all the skills and still eventually max stats more quickly compared to 20/20ing unless you get crazy rng.

Depends on how much you wanna break the game wide open with some of the promote level 15 skills.

This is kinda the way ive been leaning. Promoting at lv 10 then seal changing at 15. Dunno how good that is as im kinda trained to get them to 20. But I havent been hindered yet.

CrisKre

Ok GAF, everything was going well, until I got to chapter 17. The ramp up in difficulty is driving me insane! Is there any strategy that Im missing? That mission is literally impossible to finish, let alone not have members die. HALP!

I should also say there is literally nowhere to level up, since Ive done everything (except for prologue 7 wich is also imposible to accomplish at this point)

Koodo

Banned
Ok GAF, everything was going well, until I got to chapter 17. The ramp up in difficulty is driving me insane! Is there any strategy that Im missing? That mission is literally impossible to finish, let alone not have members die. HALP!

I should also say there is literally nowhere to level up, since Ive done everything (except for prologue 7 wich is also imposible to accomplish at this point)
And it's going to get considerably harder. I had to change strategies in Chapter 19 since I started getting my ass handed to me. I tended to be more methodical and had all the units fight on their own, but from that chapter and on I began to select my 8 or 10 most powerful units, paired them up and basically plowed through the maps. The game suddenly became easy, if not broken. :lol

Anyhow, if you want to grind, you can just buy reeking boxes (there should already be a shop or two selling these) and summon the Risen in the later chapter maps for higher experience gains.

vall03

And it's going to get considerably harder. I had to change strategies in Chapter 19 since I started getting my ass handed to me. I tended to be more methodical and had all the units fight on their own, but from that chapter and on I began to select my 8 or 10 most powerful units, paired them up and basically plowed through the maps. The game suddenly became easy, if not broken. :lol

Anyhow, if you want to grind, you can just buy reeking boxes (there should already be a shop or two selling these) and summon the Risen in the later chapter maps for higher experience gains.

Im only in Chapter 14 but almost all of the deaths Ive encountered is because my units aren't paired with someone. The moment I separated one of my units meant certain death. I tried moving forward with all my unit clumped together made it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom