• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, if you promote a unit it might miss out skills? I promoted Lissa because she needs to do something else other than healing!

Midou

Ah thanks hmm that's interesting :) I'm askin for opinions because I'm not sure if he's worth training or not so far I'm reading that he's amazing but my friends saying he was a waste of time :/ descisons

Well he has that skill that adds 20% to all stat-ups, so typically he gains every single stat on level-up. Plus the armsthrift lets him use weapons without using them up, as it has a luck*2 chance, and currently his luck for me at that level is about 42, if i pair him up with someone, he has close to 100% chance to not use up a weapon when attacking.

stuminus3

Wait, people actually watch Fire Emblem battle animations?
Oh hell yeah, every time. Usually they're awesome (particularly in this game, where you can have two of your characters just absolutely wail on a tough enemy, even better when the last hit is a critical) and they add to the suspense of how a battle is going to play out. Probably because of the permadeath thing - in comparison, I very quickly lose interest in the animations in the Advance War games because it's just a bunch of generic units.

NeonZ

I've promtoed my Lissa to a Sage, and I really like how her battle model is updated in the intermission scenes. It's basically an alternate costume feature too. Too bad the CG doesn't change though...

Wait, if you promote a unit it might miss out skills? I promoted Lissa because she needs to do something else other than healing!

Kind of. Unpromoted classes gain skills at 1st and 10th level, promoted ones at 5th and 15th, and special ones (like Manakete) at 1st and 15th. So, you'll never miss the skills of unpromoted classes, but you can miss skills of promoted classes or special ones if you class change too early.

I tend to fast forward through the battle animations now. I love them a lot, but nothing will be the same as the FE7 battles. :'(

There is one hilarious line about tenure that Vaike made in a battle, I'm pretty sure. I just wish I could remember it.

Well he has that skill that adds 20% to all stat-ups, so typically he gains every single stat on level-up. Plus the armsthrift lets him use weapons without using them up, as it has a luck*2 chance, and currently his luck for me at that level is about 42, if i pair him up with someone, he has close to 100% chance to not use up a weapon when attacking.
Ah I see hmm I guess I'll train him up then and see what happens

Smilax

Just purchased two copies today [For me and my brother]. Is there already DLC out, and do you recommend playing it with or without 3D?

Wait, people actually watch Fire Emblem battle animations?
1349490616415.gif

Anteo

So Sumia just took an arrow to the face =(
Good thing she is godlike, suvived with like 4 hp.

Also what's up with these villagers? Do they want to die?

stuminus3

Just purchased two copies today [For me and my brother]. Is there already DLC out, and do you recommend playing it with or without 3D?
There's one piece of DLC out that is free til March.

Go 100% 3D. Every element of 3D is fantastic on this game, from the glorious animated cut scenes to the battle animations, even the talking head stuff looks good in 3D. I was particularly impressed by the effect on the map screen; there's a map that I was playing earlier (chapter 7 I think) where the map has cliffs with a deep ravine at the bottom. Looked amazing with the little unit sprites flying above it. Ironically I didn't expect Fire Emblem of all things to be a showcase of the 3D screen.

Draxal

If I'm correct only
owain is the only son aside from female avatars that can get gale force due to the other girls who have sons do not have the Pegasus knight class
Correct me if I'm wrong

Kinda.

Inigo (Olivia) and Brady (Maribelle); Also marrying Gaius/Donnel to Nowi/Sully/Tharja gives their daughter pegasus knight class
Unless I'm reading Serenes forest's chart totally wrong.

I'm pretty conservative about 3D on the system. I used it in Mario 3D Land because it looks amazing, but pretty much never in Mario Kart or Resident Evil because it either didn't really provide anything or made the game look worse(RE).

However, I've played with it on the whole time in FE. It doesn't make the difference it does in Mario, but it's really well implemented and looks great. I dig it.

MechaX

GameStop finally got my reserve in.

The artbook is no Other M artbook, but eh. Going to start this game up before I have to go back to work and research.

Are there any obscure characters/gaiden chapters to take note of? I was going to go in blind without a FAQ.

Neiteio

Go 100% 3D. Every element of 3D is fantastic on this game, from the glorious animated cut scenes to the battle animations, even the talking head stuff looks good in 3D. I was particularly impressed by the effect on the map screen; there's a map that I was playing earlier (chapter 7 I think) where the map has cliffs with a deep ravine at the bottom. Looked amazing with the little unit sprites flying above it. Ironically I didn't expect Fire Emblem of all things to be a showcase of the 3D screen.
Oh YES. Full 3D is excellent in this game. In Ch. 4, in the battle arena, check out the edges of the map -- the raised partitions literally rise out of the screen, so that you feel like you can reach in and touch the spectators, or the braziers with their fires aglow. Really made it feel like your men were duking it out in the bowels of a coliseum. Subtle, but incredibly effective -- a very organic pop-out storybook look.

Kinda.

Inigo (Olivia) and Brady (Maribelle); Also marrying Gaius/Donnel to Nowi/Sully/Tharja gives their daughter pegasus knight class
Unless I'm reading Serenes forest's chart totally wrong.

o i didnt know olivia could go peg knight... hmm interesting

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hey so if I second-seal a dude, like turn a swordsman into a mage or something, does he LOSE the ability to use swords? Or do you keep your weapon affinities from past classes?

I'm thinking about all these third classes for people and I guess I'm thinking is there an ideal "last class" for a guy to be on, or do the classes not actually have any bearing on anything beyond your growth, and as long as you grew in what you wanted, you're safe to switch to anything else.

NeonZ

Hey so if I second-seal a dude, like turn a swordsman into a mage or something, does he LOSE the ability to use swords? Or do you keep your weapon affinities from past classes?

If you class change a Swordmaster to a Sage, he won't be able to wield swords as a Sage, but his ranking will go back to normal if you class change him to any sword wielding class. In that case, if it's an option to the character, something like Dark Knight, which can use magic and swords, likely would work better, because you'd keep the sword and get magic on top of that.

Also, one of the biggest reasons to change classes, rather than just promote, is to get new skills, the special abilities of each class. I've class changed my Prince Marth from Lodestar to Myrmidon and eventually will promote him to Swordmaster to give him the class skills from those classes (because Lodestar doesn't have any skills of its own, aside from Marth's initial ones) - even though when I did that his stats dropped by quite a bit due to Lodestar having stat bonuses comparable to the stronger promoted classes, while Myrmidon's are much lower. After I''ve gotten the Swordmaster skills, I'll class change him back to Lodestar.

Forgive the remedial question but on the map screen where I can presumably buy items at each location, when I land on a spot, the bottom screen displays certain items I can buy.
I have the little green "parley" men at most of these locations.
When I enter to buy what was previously displayed on the lower screen, I must infact interact with the green parley team who seem to be selling something entirely different.

Can anyone clear this hopefully small misunderstanding I'm having with the game. Thanks :)

Neiteio

I don't get how legacy characters work. I can "parley" with one on my map. I can fight them or... something else I can't recall. What are my options here? Do these characters from past games actually integrate into Awakening's storyline? :O

Moonlight

Banned
Those are Annas. Anna merchants randomly appear on the map, they will always sell what the shop at the location was selling previously, but will frequently add common weapons at a reduced price or rarer items (like Master Seals or more powerful spell tombs which both can be harder to come by at the early parts of the game), usually it's good to buy what they're offering if you have the gold because what they sell is rarely not worth it, and they disappear after you visit whether you buy or not. At least, in my experience.

EDIT: Also, SpotPass characters don't interact with the story. They don't have supports and they won't add anything to any events as far as I'm aware, you can fight with them (and they're typically very high level) and success means you get their team leader as a party member (who again, does not interact with the story) or you can parley with them, which basically means skipping over the fight and bringing the team leader into your own at a (very high) gold cost.

Chrom

AGITΩ;47382785 said:
"PICK A GOD AND PRAY" Favorite Battle Quote so far.

Who says this? Sounds pretty badass.

I don't get how legacy characters work. I can "parley" with one on my map. I can fight them or... something else I can't recall. What are my options here? Do these characters from past games actually integrate into Awakening's storyline? :O

You can recruit them if you beat them or pay up, but none of them have any bearing on the story.

Moonlight

Banned
Who says this? Sounds pretty badass.
Frederick, one of the many reasons he is one of the best Awakening characters (before anyone skewers me, I mean in the sense of, well, character).

I'm very fond of Tharja's "you're already dead", though. I highly doubt it's a deliberate reference, but it always gets me grinning a bit.

Neiteio

Those are Annas. Anna merchants randomly appear on the map, they will always sell what the shop at the location was selling previously, but will frequently add common weapons at a reduced price or rarer items (like Master Seals or more powerful spell tombs which both can be harder to come by at the early parts of the game), usually it's good to buy what they're offering if you have the gold because what they sell is rarely not worth it, and they disappear after you visit whether you buy or not. At least, in my experience.
Can Anna join my party, and have supports, get married, etc?

EDIT: Also, SpotPass characters don't interact with the story. They don't have supports and they won't add anything to any events as far as I'm aware, you can fight with them (and they're typically very high level) and success means you get their team leader as a party member (who again, does not interact with the story) or you can parley with them, which basically means skipping over the fight and bringing the team leader into your own at a (very high) gold cost.

You can recruit them if you beat them or pay up, but none of them have any bearing on the story.
Ah, OK. Also, if I forget to get the new DLC character one day, I can simply download him/her another day, right? Kind of like the extra puzzles in Professor Layton and Miracle Mask?

Roto13

Anna can only marry a male Avatar. She can have support conversations with the Avatar and like one other person I think.

Well this is... strange. A merchant and a Risen squad spawned on the same map, and when I engage the Risen, there's the merchant sitting there with an Iron Lance. Do I get anything nice for saving her, or can I just let this one go.

Also a big middle finger to two of the Villagers in Paralogue three. I work my hide to save your sorry butts and I you repay me with a log and a frying pan? Really? At least the third guy gave me an Angelic Robe.

Moonlight

Banned
Can Anna join my party, and have supports, get married, etc?
Anna can definitely join your party, as my S-Rank with her can attest. Although the Avatar is the only one she can marry/have kids with (she only has two supports!). It is not the same Anna, they have this Nurse Joy thing going on where they're all twin sisters with the same name and the same profession, spread across the lands.

Hale-XF11

I love this game. I'm not very good at it, but I'm really addicted and always learning something new and adjusting my strategy as I go along. Still playing on hard classic, but thinking about starting a 2nd file on normal classic to move the story along a bit. We'll see.

Anna can definitely join your party, as my S-Rank with her can attest. Although the Avatar is the only one she can marry/have kids with (she only has two supports!). It is not the same Anna, they have this Nurse Joy thing going on where they're all twin sisters with the same name and the same profession, spread across the lands.
Out of curiosity, what are the consequences of letting Anna die in paralogue 2?

Chrom

Ah, OK. Also, if I forget to get the new DLC character one day, I can simply download him/her another day, right? Kind of like the extra puzzles in Professor Layton and Miracle Mask?

Yeah. Nothing is ever lost for good, so don't worry if you find yourself not playing the game for a while; it'll all still be there.

Well this is... strange. A merchant and a Risen squad spawned on the same map, and when I engage the Risen, there's the merchant sitting there with an Iron Lance. Do I get anything nice for saving her, or can I just let this one go.

If you save them, you get to use their shop. Not only that, but they'll also give you a random item for saving them, and it's sometimes something good like a stat booster or Brave weapon.

NeonZ

You can hire them for gold, fight against them, and afterwards they'll join you for free if you win, or you can basically use them as shops and buy any standard items that their troops carry. There's also an option to send them away without doing anything, or leaving, but let them stay on the map.

The legacy characters aren't really integrated into the story. The "Bonus teams" characters have three unique lines (greeting - when you meet them initially; fighting is used if you engage them in combat, finally a line for joining your army which is used after you hire them or choose to let them join you after beating them) and that's it. The legacy groups also can be mixed with monster skirmishes, which result in a skirmish with several green allied units fighting together agains the monsters and some different lnies from Chrom and Frederick.

DLC characters have more lines in the DLC itself, and an actual explanation for them joining your team, but they also have no lines in the main Awakening story. I recruited Pr. Marth before Masked Marth's identity was revealed, and yet there wasn't any interaction between them in the chapter where Chrom defends Ylisse castle. Of course, say, if you face a boss he'll still say his generic combat line, but he won't have anything specific to say to the character itself.

That can also happen with legacy groups, I had a monster spawing right in the spot where Florina's group was sitting once, and when I went there, there were the usual monsters + Florina's group as green units. Not sure if there's any bonus for clearing that though, due to npc Florina quickly dying there. There was just a message from Frederick saying that their msterious allies had vanished after the battle, but I guess that might have happened due to Florina herself dying.

Moonlight

Banned
Out of curiosity, what are the consequences of letting Anna die in paralogue 2?
I was sure that it'd have some major repercussion in recruiting her later (as I was under the impression they were one and the same), but apparently, as they're all different Annas, it has no bearing on later recruiting the other Anna. Your reward for beating the Paralogue is a discount at the shops (or maybe just that one instance?), though, so I think it's worth it to try and save her.

I was sure that it'd have some major repercussion in recruiting her later (as I was under the impression they were one and the same), but apparently, as they're all different Annas, it has no bearing on later recruiting the other Anna. Your reward for beating the Paralogue is a discount at the shops (or maybe just that one instance?), though, so I think it's worth it to try and save her.
Oh, I tried all right. I've whined about it a few times between last night and today but I finally manged to pull it off. I'm glad there is at least a decent benefit for it. Thanks for the answer!

zroid

Banned
Whoever said Pair Up is useless is mental. I love how it lets you vastly increase the range of a unit on a given turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom