• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midou

Doing Paralogue 10 and (not really a story spoiler)
Severa is some kind of mentally handicapped I guess. It's a lot of narrow hallways, but twice now she has stood in the path of a mage who utterly destroys her through a wall. One time she did not, but I didn't really do anything different, you can talk to her with Chrom or Cordelia but she refuses to join you until she talks to some guy. My party can smoke the enemies, but they can't fix her.

Yeah that chapter is hard. What I did was:

Get the mages out of the mountain, pair them up and teleport them with rescue.

Rescue? Have I been missing something? I just dropped them into that corner and sent up a couple support units. Elwind hits pretty hard and once I got Lon'qu up there it turned into a bloodbath. He's a total beast.

Chrom

Rescue? Have I been missing something? I just dropped them into that corner and sent up a couple support units. Elwind hits pretty hard and once I got Lon'qu up there it turned into a bloodbath. He's a total beast.

They mean the Rescue staff, if that's what you're confused about.

Neiteio

I'm now at Ch. 6. I'm new to the series, and I keep thinking, "Man, Fire Emblem is amazing." Something that really impresses me is how BRISK the game is -- everything is so fast and fluid, easy to pick up and play, easy to learn, paced in just the right way. Fantastic.

Wilsongt

So, Sumia is a beast. She just needed some coddling and now as long as she is away from archers, she is taking down mages and myrmidons like a pro.

I've been using Ricken, but I am wondering if I should have stayed with Miriel.

I dropped Lissa for Maribelle, but I am wondering if I should have stuck with Lissa because her magic is so much better.

Donny has strength for days, but goddamn his defense. He has to pop a defense +2 booster at the beginning of every battle or else he'll constantly die. I'm thinking I am gonna send him down the Mercenary route to grab some skill/speed/defense.

Doing Paralogue 10 and (not really a story spoiler)
Severa is some kind of mentally handicapped I guess. It's a lot of narrow hallways, but twice now she has stood in the path of a mage who utterly destroys her through a wall. One time she did not, but I didn't really do anything different, you can talk to her with Chrom or Cordelia but she refuses to join you until she talks to some guy. My party can smoke the enemies, but they can't fix her.

yes that chapter was the most difficult for me since i had to change my tactics from rushing the map to stragetically planning where she was going to move my advice is to use the rescue staff to bring her near your group and she will follow a different path to get to the guy it makes Seriously Rescue staff best item in the game

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I forgot how I got it (I think it was in the chest the bandit didn't rob in the Paralouge 1), but there's a skill you can pick up for Lissa before that point which allows her to warp a distant character right next to her...

That was the first Chapter I had people die and had to reset, though. Right at the end I got super lucky...the main boss moved right next to Elwind, and struck him down to 1 HP...however, Elwind got lucky and killed the boss right back, lol.

Wilsongt

Is there a way to speed up the battle scenes without having to do it manually for every fight?

Holding down a button shouldn't be much of a problem. o.o

Also, do legacy characters retain their original growths? I got Florina last night and I am wondering if I should pair her up with Sumia and form a flying death duo.

Midou

yes that chapter was the most difficult for me since i had to change my tactics from rushing the map to stragetically planning where she was going to move my advice is to use the rescue staff to bring her near your group and she will follow a different path to get to the guy it makes Seriously Rescue staff best item in the game

Ah yes, thanks. Now when I finally made my party hump the wall so she could not get hit, she instead got hit from the OTHER side, meaning she had a 100% chance to die, so messed up.

Is there a way to speed up the battle scenes without having to do it manually for every fight?
I'm pretty sure there's an option for fast animations in the options menu. You can also turn off battle animations entirely if you would rather just skip over them (blasphemy).

I really like the option to turn off dancing and healing animations myself, watching those tends to get old after awhile.

Ah yes, thanks. Now when I finally made my party hump the wall so she could not get hit, she instead got hit from the OTHER side, meaning she had a 100% chance to die, so messed up.

honestly use the rescue staff this is possibly the best item in the game for later maps
if you rescue her she will begin to follow a path where your main units are instead of the path of death

also is donny really that good? i find him to be kinda unappealing since his skills are kinda lacking since eventually everyone maxes out i feel him and fredrick are the most lacking in the army and are out done easily i feel like pairing up people that can give thier kids a unique skill
for example owain with the skill gale force which he wont be able to acess normally

So, Sumia is a beast. She just needed some coddling and now as long as she is away from archers, she is taking down mages and myrmidons like a pro.

Sumia IS a beast. First character to actually double attack, and usually if there's only 1 archer, I'll just send her in to demolish him. Needs a defense boost though, so she's usually paired up with someone else with defense support.

The AI is much improved over the other games in the series though, wow. They almost flat-out try to ignore my tanks (and unarmed Frederick =( ). Chrom's had a lot of near-death experiences, and I'm only on chapter 5 lol

What's the best way to level up any level one characters when it seems like all my battles have level 7 plus that pretty much take out any lowbies I put out? I try keeping them out of range until I can get a strike in but the counter usually takes when out.

Setre

My Avatar has already learned the second skill in Tactician. Should I go ahead and make him a Mercenary or turn him into a Grandmaster and learn those two skills first?

Kazerei

Banned
What's the best way to level up any level one characters when it seems like all my battles have level 7 plus that pretty much take out any lowbies I put out? I try keeping them out of range until I can get a strike in but the counter usually takes when out.

Have a strong character pair up with the weak character, to give him/her a stat boost

Also consider upgrading their weapon

DaBoss

Man this game is amazing. I'm done up to Chapter 12. It has great dialogue, gameplay, and mechanics. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I had so many feels and laughs with some of the writing too. The localization is brilliant.

Wilsongt

Yep. It's fresh how the enemy bum rushes you now and you have to stay on your toes and be careful with placement or else you're bound to lose someone.

Also, I am beginning to think some of those temporary stat boosters are going to be necessary. Like I said, I pop a defense one on Donny so he is a little more durable.

pair them up with stronger units and use the bonuses they get to get small hits (make sure you have some extra units to still protect the weak one hope that helps

Keep them out of range of the enemies until they can run in to finish off a weakened enemy without the possibility of a counterattack (ideally). It also helps to pair a unit with them for a nice stat boost. Pairing Frederick with Donny early on seems to work fairly well, for instance.

When do I get promotion seals. My main unit is already 16 and its only ch6.

That tactician skill :X

I found him paired up with librarian Mage to be quite effective as a magic nuker.

HyperHip

I'm pretty sure there's an option for fast animations in the options menu. You can also turn off battle animations entirely if you would rather just skip over them (blasphemy).

I really like the option to turn off dancing and healing animations myself, watching those tends to get old after awhile.

Oh no, the battle animations are awesome I just find the sped up version alot cooler looking. However the game speed option only changes the movement speed on the map. Whatever, I guess holding the A button it is then.

CSX

When do I get promotion seals. My main unit is already 16 and its only ch6.

That tactician skill :X

I found him paired up with librarian Mage to be quite effective as a magic nuker.

I think chapter 8 or 9. Thats when you get your first one story wise. I got one beforehand thanks to anna :p Discounted too

Sumia IS a beast. First character to actually double attack, and usually if there's only 1 archer, I'll just send her in to demolish him. Needs a defense boost though, so she's usually paired up with someone else with defense support.

The AI is much improved over the other games in the series though, wow. They almost flat-out try to ignore my tanks (and unarmed Frederick =( ). Chrom's had a lot of near-death experiences, and I'm only on chapter 5 lol

Oh, whaaaat. I didn't even think about sending in Frederick unarmed. So glad you said that. Also, where can I check to see what support boosts characters give?

I got donny to 15 villager, then like level 10 mercenary, now hes about level 8 Hero, and his stats match or exceed Chrom, who I got to 18 as Lord, 20 as great lord, and is now about like 7 as Paladin.

Ah thanks hmm that's interesting :) I'm askin for opinions because I'm not sure if he's worth training or not so far I'm reading that he's amazing but my friends saying he was a waste of time :/ descisons

AGITΩ

Lets See, Currently I'm Before Chapter 8.
Hard-Classic
Pairs [*Married]:
*Chrom [14] x Sumia [8]
Avatar [Grandmaster 5] x Maribelle [9] (Currently A, Waitings to see if I like Olivia better)
Lon'qu [13] x Panne [13] (I like that he's afraid of Women and She doesn't care for Humans. PERFECT MATCH)
Gauis [9] x Lissa [10] (candy)
*Donnel [Merc 1] x Miriel [7] (The Country Bumpkin and the Educated mage seemed like a good mix match)
*Virion [12] x Sully [12] (The whole, he's a trying to be super charming and the fact that Sully is not your girly girl type is what made me lean this way.
The rest are undecided.

NeonZ

I had decided I wouldn't grind before finishing the game, but... I've found a usefulness for the monster skirmishes in spite of that, I'm just taking my unused characters and playing through them to level them up´and make them close to my main party. This way, I can play through the skirmishes a bit and not overlevel. It'll also help me pair up the girls I'm not using in the main chapters...

I think it's interesting they've made some 'sub-missions' of sorts for the skirmishes - like when a merchant and a monster appear together, there's a rescue mission, and when a monster appears alongside a spotpass team, they'll fight alongside your team against the monsters.

Also, do legacy characters retain their original growths? I got Florina last night and I am wondering if I should pair her up with Sumia and form a flying death duo.

At the very least, DLC Marth's growths are signficantly better than his original ones, including a crazy 90% luck growth (+20% from good growths resulting in 110%). The actual growth rates of the legacy characters, DLC Marth aside, has never been officially revealed though, and it's impossible to hack 3DS games right now to find the growth rates, so, you can only go by personal experience.

I've started training my Florina though, and so far she hasn't gotten a single level up bellow 4 stats.

Also, completely pointless, but I've found out that spotpass characters have one line after joining the party. Take them to a shinning tile, and if they find an item there, rather than experience, they'll say "What's this...?" rather than just the usual "...!" or "...!!!".

-My first Fire Emblem (other than the one in the Ambassador Program which I barely touched)
-Played it all night
-Extremely impressed
-Very addictive and downright fun
-Permadeath is frightening, RIP Sully :'(
-Gonna dedicate all my free time to this
-Off to lunch now, bye!

Anteo

What's up with Cordelia and lying about reinforcements from behind? I was so worried about them but 4 turns later and the stage was finished. No enemy units that I know of came from behind. Weird.

Draxal

Growth rates don't matter nearly as much in this game due to the reclassing/grinding system.

The big thing for ultimate end game characters is passing on the right skills to the next generation (pretty much giving your favorite male second generation chars Galeforce, female dark flier exclusive skill).

Neiteio

I married him to Olivia and in the epilogue thing it said something like
"Olivia's husband's name was lost to history."
That is AWESOME. XD

Seriously, the whole business with Kellam always going unnoticed makes me laugh every time. Even his Roster bio in the Barracks is funny, something to the effect of him being a "laconic, blank-faced man," lol.

I was going to hook up Maribelle with Robin, but now that I think of it, she would be a funny foil to Kellam.

Hey, how many chapters are there in this game? And once you've beaten the main campaign, can you replay old chapters, or continue to do side missions or whatever?

NeonZ

What's up with Cordelia and lying about reinforcements from behind? I was so worried about them but 4 turns later and the stage was finished. No enemy units that I know of came from behind. Weird.

It's because you finished the stage that quickly, I think. At least, on hard, reinforcements started appearing the from the left around the 4th or 5th turns.

scy

Only got a few chapters done last night (like, three) and Kellam was my first "guess I reload" casualty. I didn't notice the Hammer when I sent him up the right half of the map to be the meatshield and he got one-shotted rather tragically/hilariously. I guess I should be thankful, though, I had two +1 stat levels that map
that barely improved the second clear >>

Sumia already double-hitting made it pretty easy to get her some EXP off Archers, in that twisted Pegasus Knight vs Archer matchup. Sully is borderline useless at the moment since she deals next-to-no damage and takes way too much in return and she's been graced by the "Fuck you" RNG gods T.T

So far though, Hard's not really all that hard, though I suppose that's to be expected for the early game. Maybe I should've said fuck it and started on Lunatic.

The big thing for ultimate end game characters is passing on the right skills to the next generation (pretty much giving your favorite male second generation chars Galeforce, female dark flier exclusive skill).

This will probably be the only thing I go out of the way to min/max this run. If only because Galeforce seems absurd and who can resist more overpowered death dealers.

NeonZ

So far though, Hard's not really all that hard, though I suppose that's to be expected for the early game. Maybe I should've said fuck it and started on Lunatic.

In my playthrough so far, I've had more problems with some skirmishes than the actual story chapters.

The battle where I've died most times was likely a spotpass skirmish against Serra's group, when my own party had units around lvl 10. I could take care of her fighters pretty easily, but she had a knight, thief and mage with silver weapons (well, hex fire in the mage's case) and those generally were quite a problem - especially considering how at the point of the game I was even steel weapons were rare. I reset quite a few times there, although the one time I won was really satisfying. Aside from that, there are also some stupid villagers in a certain paralogue chapter...

Chrom

Hey, how many chapters are there in this game? And once you've beaten the main campaign, can you replay old chapters, or continue to do side missions or whatever?

25 Chapters that begin with the word "Chapter", the Premonition, the Prologue, and Final. 23 different Paralogues, 6 of which aren't available until they're distributed via SpotPass. 25 Xenologues (DLC), which are infinitely replayable. No story missions (main campaign and Paralogues) can be replayed, but there are always the SpotPass/StreetPass skirmishes.

tim.mbp

Downloading now! Went to GameStop because I had some credit and pleasantly surprised to find them selling codes for the games at the register.

This will probably be the only thing I go out of the way to min/max this run. If only because Galeforce seems absurd and who can resist more overpowered death dealers.

If I'm correct only
owain is the only son aside from female avatars that can get gale force due to the other girls who have sons do not have the Pegasus knight class
Correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom