• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game is so amazing! Do yourself a favor and do not play this game on casual. It really defeats what the game is trying to accomplished for the player.

Giolon

Can anyone clarify how bad the spoiler in GT's video review is? I really want to watch it but need to know how damaging it is. Is it something that's going to happen in like the first 2 hours of the game or is it major spoilers?

Chrom

Can anyone clarify how bad the spoiler in GT's video review is? I really want to watch it but need to know how damaging it is. Is it something that's going to happen in like the first 2 hours of the game or is it major spoilers?

Don't watch it.

cjkeats

Watch it after you play the game.

I love that I can use Reeking Boxes to help grind lower end units, I completely forgot about that until today. I'm currently working on Donnel right now, as well as getting a few units to 20 in order to promote. So far I have Chrom, avatar, Vaike, Maribelle, Sumia, Virion, Sully, Miriel, and Lissa all promoted. I love that I'm more or less early on in the game (I figure maybe the midway point? I'm at chapter 14 but haven't started yet), and have a bunch of upgraded units. It's fantastic.

Ri'Orius

This game is so amazing! Do yourself a favor and do not play this game on casual. It really defeats what the game is trying to accomplished for the player.

Strongly disagree. I've been on Hard Casual and it's been great. Losing a guy to a lucky crit or a dumb mistake means I need to play the rest of the map smarter, rather than starting over. And it feels great to have your army whittled down as you decimate the enemy, until what was once a 30-on-10 battle becomes 8-on-20, and finally 5-on-3. It's wonderful.

It's a game: play it how you'll enjoy it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
What happens if your married partner dies in battle? Can you remarry? Does your character make any mention of "aw shucks my wife/husband just died"?

Emitan

Got Olivia to level 16. Not sure if I want to change her to a Myrmidon or not. I think she'd probably make a great Assassin.

man, why do all srpgs have terrible AI for 'other' characters.

Trying to save the villagers in the 3rd side mission is horrendous.

Why can't you pair up with other characters :(

Rarutos

Ugh, this game is too good! I'm having way too much fun with it and already have 35 hours or so into it. I've been trying to make sure Galeforce is on all the male children I can get possible because it's just such a good skill.

tumblr_mbwv83iqlQ1rzapx4o1_500_large.gif

I'll play it the way I want to play it, dammit.

I love that I can use Reeking Boxes to help grind lower end units, I completely forgot about that until today. I'm currently working on Donnel right now, as well as getting a few units to 20 in order to promote. So far I have Chrom, avatar, Vaike, Maribelle, Sumia, Virion, Sully, Miriel, and Lissa all promoted. I love that I'm more or less early on in the game (I figure maybe the midway point? I'm at chapter 14 but haven't started yet), and have a bunch of upgraded units. It's fantastic.

You don't actually need to do that in Awakening, since you have unlimited battles and level-ups to grind out your stats, as opposed to other FE games where you have only 40 level-ups.

NeonZ

I just got Nino's team. It's kind of interesting that that they kept the whole "underpowered late character" concept from the original FE7 in her appearance here, considering how her team of generics (an assassin, an hero and a swordmaster) are all overpowered compared to Nino herself. So, you need to be on a significantly higher level than Nino's if you want to defeat her team and recruit her.

Of course, there's also the possibility of just paying for her, which kind of breaks that here. Kind of surprised that she doesn't have the Aptitude skill though, but I guess she doesn't need it if they made her growth rates big enough by themselves. We'll see after I advance more in the story and go back to recruit her... Also, her in-game character art fits surprising well with her 3d model, after recruitment (not the full art, just the part included in her portrait here).

Does that include Prince Marth?

Yes, Lodestar also caps at 30.

Finally managed to grab a copy of this. The only other FE I've played is Sacred Stones on Normal and I found it to be easy but enjoyable. Should I go for Normal or Hard?

DonMigs85

I asked before but just wanna make absolutely sure that you don't get extra items/characters/story details etc by going Classic instead of Casual. Is that true?

NeonZ

I asked before but just wanna make absolutely sure that you don't get extra items/characters/story details etc by going Classic instead of Casual. Is that true?

Yes, there's no extra for playing Classic, it's exactly the same as casual, just with permanent "death". Also, the higher difficulties just change enemy placement and stats (as well as changing the reinforcements from arriving in the player's phase in normal to the enemy's phase for hard and lunatic), and don't give any kind of "extra bonus" or chapters to the players.

There's very little reason to let Donnel hit lvl 30 since he'll reach most of the stat caps for that class long before 30.

The one advantage of hitting level 30 is that you can class change him directly to a promoted class. Still, I don't think it's worth it to stay as a villager for that long, especially because he can't wield a lance in any of his other classes.

I pretty much broke the game by over-grinding some of my characters, specifically Lucina, Anna and Morgan. (I wifed Anna)

Morgan is by and large my most powerful unit, with a 287 rating. She has a few skills she inherited from Anna, and has been leveled up as a Trickster, General, Dark Flier, Bow Knight and Paladin. Pretty much invincible, Final Boss didn't leave a dent.
Anna's her mom, and since I recruited her has been soloing entire chapters without any damage. She's been all of her available class upgrades, Trickster, Assassin, Sage and now is a Dark Knight.
Lucina naturally having great stats as a Lord, has been through Great Lord, Dark Flier and now Bow Knight. With Galeforce, I beat most of the last chapters in as few as two turns.

Normal / Classic is way too easy. I'm probably going to do a no-grinding Hard/Classic run next.

gah my main can never get any support level with lissa mainly because he's too damn good... kills things at range without getting hurt ;_;

I just adore her clipping hoop skirt.

Busaiku

Ike killed himself in the Marth DLC, and I didn't reset.
Is that a problem later on?

Beat the map, but didn't save yet, should I?

How do I tell what the special classes are?

Basically any class that can't be promoted with a Master Seal. Specifically its Donnel, Panne, Nowi, Yarne, Nah, Tiki, and DLC Marth.

I'm going to be honest I think its a little strange you can marry somebody to Nowi. Yes she is an adult, but her character acts and looks like a 10 year old. I don't understand how that gets by localization.

I should reclass Donnel at 15, right? Just want to make sure since I just got Underdog and I would prefer not to leave him as a Villager too long if possible.

MechaX

God damn, the first couple of maps are frustrating on Hard Mode.

I think I need to start abusing the pair up system, because it is just infuriating to keep having to restart when a party member dies (NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND) just because these new folks are like Dawn Brigade level of suck at the moment.

Hell, I had a good momentum going at one point in Ch 2, but the Vaike/Stahl pair bit me in the ass when Stahl suddenly decided to start helping him out for every attack. That is all fine and dandy, but what I really needed was a choke point, not every enemy on the map taking turns hitting him and then dying until Vaike died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom