• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the secret to leveling Donnel? I'm in chapter 8 or something right now and he's so useless early on that its hard to bring him into battles. Haha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm slowly working my way through the game, but I figure I should ask - as my first FE game, is there anything I should know? Should I prepare for all this leveling in anyway? (I'm reading that you should only level up to level 10?) Do I need to worry about pairings for children?

I'm close to suffering RPG paralysis... too many options, not enough information. lol

So what's the secret to leveling Donnel? I'm in chapter 8 or something right now and he's so useless early on that its hard to bring him into battles. Haha.

Yeah I'm on 10 and he's at level 3, and I've brought him into pretty much every battle! I realize he doesn't level without doing damage, it's just really hard to get him to do damage especially when enemies are getting stronger. He did just get Level D weapon skill (after "hitting" for 0 damage, twice LOL), so at least I can upgrade his shitty spear.

Only thing I can suggest is pairing him with someone and praying he gets hits in and maybe you get lucky and he gets a kill. When its safe, switch him to the active character and have him clean up an enemy that only has a few points left.

I think that as enemies get stronger (more XP?) if you can get him to actually do some damage he should level pretty quickly. Now that some more random battles have opened up I'm hoping I can really focus efforts on getting him a kill or two. It better be worth all this trouble!

KJA

I just started Chapter 11 and boy oh boy is this hard. Having units with little to no resistance is a bitch. To make things worse, there's whole new set of enemies every single turn. FML.

Mr. Fix

Give him glass weapons he could use, but have another unit weaken an enemy enough so that Donnel lands the finishing blow. If you have +5 speed over the opponent then you could have Donnel attack twice, so try having someone who gives a good speed boost pair up with him.

I'm slowly working my way through the game, but I figure I should ask - as my first FE game, is there anything I should know? Should I prepare for all this leveling in anyway? (I'm reading that you should only level up to level 10?) Do I need to worry about pairings for children?

I'm close to suffering RPG paralysis... too many options, not enough information. lol

Just play and pair whoever you like. That's what I did and my children are glorious!

chrono01

Either pair him up with another [preferably one with Strength, at least initially, so he can actually do damage] or forge him a powerful weapon. Weaken an enemy first with another unit, and then use Donnel to strike the killing blow. You need to be extra careful, though, as he really can't take much damage early on.

Either pair him up with another [preferably one with Strength, at least initially, so he can actually do damage] or forge him a powerful weapon. Weaken an enemy first with another unit, and then use Donnel to strike the killing blow. You need to be extra careful, though, as he really can't take much damage early on.

I AM AN IDIOT - this is my problem. I had him paired up with a magic user I think. I did feed him a seed for 2+ strength, so maybe with that plus an upgraded weapon will do the trick...

chrono01

I AM AN IDIOT - this is my problem. I had him paired up with a magic user I think. I did feed him a seed for 2+ strength, so maybe with that plus an upgraded weapon will do the trick...

Yeah, he really needs Strength early on. I've found if he didn't, I'd always do no damage. Speed helps, of course, but not when he can't actually inflict hurt upon the enemy.

But yes, upgrading his weapon [at least a few points in the MT attribute] should also help quite a bit. It's a pain, but from what I've read, he's absolutely worth the effort. :)

Also, do not feel like an idiot. It is a new game, we are all still learning things. I actually missed recruiting Kellam because I was unaware that you needed to talk to him with Chrom, so I had to restart my file. I know, it seems like a cruel joke but it's the absolute truth.

Mr. Fix

Owain
's hilarious.

pnlk1f9.jpg

man, im running out of stuff to do, might as well go do the actual missions now lol.

Wait, why do yall say promote at lvl 15 for guys? Don't you learn all the first job skills by lvl 10?

Yeah, he really needs Strength early on. I've found if he didn't, I'd always do no damage. Speed helps, of course, but not when he can't actually inflict hurt upon the enemy.

But yes, upgrading his weapon [at least a few points in the MT attribute] should also help quite a bit. It's a pain, but from what I've read, he's absolutely worth the effort. :)

Also, do not feel like an idiot. It is a new game, we are all still learning things. I actually missed recruiting Kellam because I was unaware that you needed to talk to him with Chrom, so I had to restart my file. I know, it seems like a cruel joke but it's the absolute truth.

Thanks. I've just decided I'm going to definitely do another playthrough on Hard after this one, and I figure the more mistakes I make on this run (who the hell is Kellam?) the more different my second playthrough will be as I try to do the stuff I missed.

The problem with the 3D models isn't the 3D. It's that the models act naturalistically instead of stylistically. They just lack the flair of the sprites, particularly in the criticals.

Think of Lyn's critical in FE7. She lines up her sword. Then her sprite blinks until it suddenly disappears. Then over the enemy sprite, you just see three slash marks, until the enemy is hit and Lyn appears back on your side.

Think of the mages attacking with magic. They twirl around, stepping backwards, and blast magic at the enemy. Their robes and hood get blown back, as if by wind, showing the sheer force of the magic.

Then look again at the sprite posted. Holding out the sword very deliberately. The weight of the shield hangs awkwardly. Then a sudden strike with a huge jump and somersault. Very distinctive.

All of these animation examples could have the same stylistic flourishes in 3D. Nothing about 3D necessitates that a myrmidon cannot disappear and reappear nearby an enemy or that a mage's robes can't get blown back.

Because the 3D models stick very close to naturalism, they simply lack the charm and distinctiveness of the sprite work.
I like the new animations just fine but I definitely see where you're coming from and I agree that the sprites' animations are better and more stylish than what we got with Awakening. The battle animations in the GBA FE's are so incredibly memorable and nostalgia inducing for me that I don't know if they'll ever be topped.

That's hilariously ironic. Poor Kellam.
LOL, I didn't even think of it that way until you mentioned it. That's great.

chrono01

That's hilariously ironic. Poor Kellam.

Haha, yeah. I had a good laugh about it afterwards, especially considering the way Kellam is. Thankfully I wasn't too far into it, so I didn't lose much progress.

Thanks. I've just decided I'm going to definitely do another playthrough on Hard after this one, and I figure the more mistakes I make on this run (who the hell is Kellam?) the more different my second playthrough will be as I try to do the stuff I missed.

Sounds good! Using your initial/primary run through to learn everything, and then make a "perfect" run on Hard. I'm trying to do whatever I can on my first play-through, but I can absolutely see myself starting up a Hard/Classic file immediately afterwards. It's too addicting not to!

As for Kellam, he's a unit you can recruit on Chapter 3. You need to talk to him with Chrom, otherwise you won't gain him as an ally. The hilarious thing is that his whole story is that people always overlook him [despite being suited in a massive, oversized piece of armor], and yet, I missed recruiting him.

There's a lot of other units to recruit that can be found at this link:

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/recruitment.html

KaYotiX

Banned
Biggest problem with this game is my 3DS dies too fast.......:)

I need to go out and find an extended battery or something. This game is amazing

I like the new animations just fine but I definitely see where you're coming from and I agree that the sprites' animations are better and more stylish than what we got with Awakening. The battle animations in the GBA FE's are so incredibly memorable and nostalgia inducing for me that I don't know if they'll ever be topped.

I agree that they're memorable, but I don't think that's all nostalgia. I'm not sure new 3D models could match the charm of the sprites, but if the animations took on a more stylized form, I think they'd be just as memorable.

Soulhouf

So if you're just going to reset when you take a loss in Classic mode, why not just play Casual mode? I mean, I get that the difference is you are making yourself play the scenario again until you get it right, but if you play on Classic mode, you get the scenario done and you don't lose anyone. It saves time and in the end, the result is the same...you pass the scenario with no characters lost.

Am I the only person just taking my losses and letting them stick? Maybe I am playing the game wrong?

Edit - I guess in thinking about it, it provides a self-enforced method of playing a level "perfectly" where you only accept it if everyone survives. I still think it defeats the purpose of Classic mode, though. You could also just reload playing on Casual. To each his own and all that...

It's always a challenge for me in FE games to beat the game without loosing a single unit. Loosing a unit for me is like a game over and I love that concept. That's why I play classic with hard mode and reset every time I loose a character.
Playing casual mode is like having unlimited continues that respawn you in the exact point where you died in an action game. It kills the challenge completely.

I agree that they're memorable, but I don't think that's all nostalgia. I'm not sure new 3D models could match the charm of the sprites, but if the animations took on a more stylized form, I think they'd be just as memorable.
Oh yeah, it's definitely not all nostalgia, those animations are just incredibly well done. Like you said, they are stylized in a very memorable way. It's a shame the animations in Awakening aren't quite as impressive but I'm still happy with the presentation overall.

Mupod

Kellam is probably my favorite character, which has come as a surprise. He's useful too.

On a related note every single unit has a special quote for when you go to sell something from their inventory at a shop, and his is the best I've seen.

aceface

Just got this, what difficulty is everyone playing on? I invariably like to play on "normal" on all games, but normal seems like easy mode here. I want some challenge.

FUCK WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THAT CHAPTER 5'S BOSS ACTUALLY MOVED. God damn it, I didn't take that into account and he killed Sumia D:

I actually missed recruiting Kellam because I was unaware that you needed to talk to him with Chrom, so I had to restart my file. I know, it seems like a cruel joke but it's the absolute truth.

Oh god XD

Donnel's only lv5 so far but he's certainly pulling his weight so far. It helps that I forged his Bronze Spear I guess. Also always having him paired up.

Thanks for the tips with Donnel!

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to change Robins main class... I never use magic, I'd rather he either had a bow or a big weapon. But I don't like how his little icon changes! It won't look like him anymore if I don't stay as a tactition/grandmaster :(

I'm really going to need to level up Donnel at some point, but my team is already near capacity, it feels like. I swear most maps are 8 people max most of the time. Does it go higher than that past chapter 13?

Sora_N

I keep getting owned in Chapter 7, restarted so many times already (I don't let me guys die). :( Any tips? I guess I'm not that great at this game.

I set Frederick to weaponless as a meatshield.

Donnel's only lv5 so far but he's certainly pulling his weight so far. It helps that I forged his Bronze Spear I guess. Also always having him paired up.

How did you level him? My Don is having a hell of a time levelling up.

Only if they contribute in the attack.

It seems random, from what I could see. Sometimes they assist the one they're paired up with, and sometimes they just...sit back and watch.

It IS random, it even tells you what the chances of it happening are before you attack. At first they're a rare thing, but at B support and above it's pretty frequent.

paralogue 2... any tips? I try rushing the pegasus knight over, but then she gets sniped by bowman T_T

Do that, but pair with Chrom and switch him to the lead spot once you're in range of the archers. Get as close as possible while staying out of their range.

Frederick keeps kill stealing when I use him for support :(

Pair him up, that way if he steals a kill the other unit gets the EXP

Busaiku

Wait, characters can do Dual Strikes when Paired Up?
Sumia and Chrom aren't letting anyone else get EXP, so if I can just use Sumia, then it's fine.

Prax

Frederick keeps kill stealing when I use him for support :(

What do you mean? Is he the main unit or the support unit? I usually use him as a support unit so even if he finishes an enemy off, the main unit gets the xp benefit.
And then I switch to use him as a main unit when I desperately need to protect the weaker unit.

Quick question, what's the best way to raise a pairs relationship? I think I'm getting to the point where I should start thinking about marriage partners, but I don't have very many strong relationships. Seems kind of hit or miss. I've been trying to partner Lissa with my main character by just having her paired with him during battles, but it doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Really loving this game. Such a polished experience. I don't mind replaying levels over and over because I feel like the game is incredibly fair, and I'm improving a ton.

Sora_N

Quick question, what's the best way to raise a pairs relationship? I think I'm getting to the point where I should start thinking about marriage partners, but I don't have very many strong relationships. Seems kind of hit or miss. I've been trying to partner Lissa with my main character by just having her paired with him during battles, but it doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Really loving this game. Such a polished experience. I don't mind replaying levels over and over because I feel like the game is incredibly fair, and I'm improving a ton.

I wish my main character was a male, didn't know about marriage before I started. I'd marry the hell out of Lissa or Sumia.

zroid

Banned
What do you mean? Is he the main unit or the support unit? I usually use him as a support unit so even if he finishes an enemy off, the main unit gets the xp benefit.
And then I switch to use him as a main unit when I desperately need to protect the weaker unit.

Huh? It seemed like whenever he swoops in for a support attack, he ends up getting a bunch of xp that I was planning to give to the other unit. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Just pair them up. Hell I'm not even on chapter 6 and Chrom and my avatar pretty much have an A relationship already that way.

Busaiku

Huh? It seemed like whenever he swoops in for a support attack, he ends up getting a bunch of xp that I was planning to give to the other unit. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

The main unit gets less EXP than if they had taken out the foe on their own, but the support unit gets less EXP than the main unit.

Tunavi

Banned
Miriel just pulled off the underdog kill of the game so far

on the snow level, going up against Raimi, took her down to 3 HP, and any Raimi was supposed deliver the final blow to finish Miriel off. Raimi missed her shot and Miriel comes with with a 2x fire to finish her off. Was expecting to lose her. Holy shitttttttt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom