• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about Dual Tag and Pair Up:

Does Dual Tag add the supporting character's stats to the main character (as what happens with Pair Up)? Or is that only for when Pairing Up?

In both Dual Tag and Pair Up, they gain the dodge, critical, etc. bonuses though, correct?
The stat boosts only happen for Pair Up, but dodge/crit etc works for both, yes. Note that the dodge/crit etc bonuses depend on all units adjacent to the main character, not just whoever is the support character for that encounter.

So I heard that all the podiatrists in the Fire Emblem universe are all out of work in the newest iteration.

Has anybody figured out why? If its a design choice I'd like to know their reasoning behind it.

L Thammy

Finished chapter 3. I kind of want to restart and try hard mode, but I've only beaten Sacred Stones on Normal... And I never want to deploy Vaike or Sully again.

Busaiku

But do they ever attack when Paired Up?
I mean I had character that got Dual Strikes all the time, but not when Paired Up.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

But do they ever attack when Paired Up?
I mean I had character that got Dual Strikes all the time, but not when Paired Up.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

They can. It is just when Paired Up, your support partner will always be the character you paired up with. Dual Strikes and Blocks still activate on the same formula where the better level of support you have, the higher chance it'll activate.

The higher their support rank, the more likely the partner is to either attack or block. My MU's relationship is at B and he's always finishing what Chrom left even if I don't want him to :|

You can see how likely it is to happen before attacking.

KarmaCow

Paralogue 3 is really pissing me off. The AI is retarded, running right into enemies when literally any other direction is better. Unlucky crits and misses is one thing but this is another level of bullshit.

BCe6M7aCMAAYbDY.jpg:large

wow, yall ain't kidding about this kid being a beast.

MechaX

I get that Donnel is supposed to be a demi-god later on...

But fuck this kid. 45 minutes of map attempts and he always manages to fuck things up. Dude missed a killing blow with a 98% hit chance and immediately got killed.

Socreges

Banned
Pair up a unit with Frederick (I used Stahl) and make a beeline for Anna. Use your other units at the beginning of the Chapter to clear out the bridge for him. You should have Frederick a good 4 or 5 spaces over the bridge at the end of his second turn. Once you get near Anna split up your units and use them to defend Anna and get to the village before an enemy coming from the right takes it out.

Someone also mentioned pairing Chrom with Sumia and having her make a beeline to Anna. Apparently most of the archers won't mess with you so you can probably do it that way as long as you don't leave her sitting around within their range for too long.

No matter how you do it it takes some luck.
After failing the first time (not having any idea how the map would unfold), I gave it some thought and did it this way:

Pair Sumia with Frederick. On turn 2, after crossing the river with Sumia, switch to Frederick when you land. Meanwhile have Stahl (or Sully) go up the left side around the trees, paired with Lissa. When you reach the river (turn 3?), separate from Lissa. On the next turn, if Lissa's MAG is high enough, you should be able to use Rescue on Anna. And after landing with Frederick your next couple turns should get you to secure the village and then afterwards fly back over the river as Sumia (paired with Frederick, of course).

I loved Paralogue 2. Really made me think and it unfolded in a weird way. I ended up grouping everyone together in the top-left of the map and waiting for the remaining enemy units. Annoying, though, that apparently I didn't even need to save Anna. Someone mentioned that I'd get immediate discounts from her but I haven't seen anything on the map. *shrug*

I assume donnel's babbies are even more broken?

who to pair him up with .... :S

Maybe nowi...

btw can people still level up support with other folks even if they married (just not to s)?

Paralogue 17 is killer. I simply didn't have enough strong units to wall off Tiki, and so I had to put off her mission for a while until I had done a lot of grinding. I can only imagine what this'll be like on my Hard run.

I assume donnel's babbies are even more broken?

btw can people still level up support with other folks even if they married (just not to s)?

Donny's kids can get pretty crazy. I married him to Nowi and their daughter was a wrecking ball.

Yes.

Paralogue 17 is killer. I simply didn't have enough strong units to wall off Tiki, and so I had to put off her mission for a while until I had done a lot of grinding. I can only imagine what this'll be like on my Hard run.

This was my favorite mission. It would have been cool if there was a few more maps like it.

Socreges

Banned
17 Paralogues? Or more? And people were talking about this being a 15-20 hour game?

Are you required to complete certain tasks/accomplishments for paralogues to be unlocked, like in previous FEs, or are they automatically unlocked after the preceding chapters are finished?

Can't believe how far some of you are. I've barely scratched the surface. (I've had it for a week as well)

17 Paralogues? Or more? And people were talking about this being a 15-20 hour game?

Are you required to complete certain tasks/accomplishments for paralogues to be unlocked, like in previous FEs, or are they automatically unlocked after the preceding chapters are finished?

Can't believe how far some of you are. I've barely scratched the surface. (I've had it for a week as well)

There's 17 paralogues plus the six spotpass ones that are coming. The only thing that's required to get them is to either pump out those babies or just advance the game.

chrono01

I...cannot..put this game down. I keep telling myself "just one more Chapter..." but it never ends!

I married Chrom x Sumia today, as well as Gaius x Sully. I'm working on Lon'qu and Cordelia now.

Also, Donnel can finally solo things, and he's getting pretty insane. I have a Second Class Seal, and he's level 19, so I suppose it's time to Re-Class him into a Mercenary. Then Hero. I also managed to purchase a Master Class Seal from Anna [just after completing Paralogue 3] so I can finally Promote my MU to Grandmaster.

Now, to get back to the game...

When is the best time to use a master seal? Some people say 20 other people say 15.

Basically, whenever you learn the Skills in that particular set. For Basic Classes you learn them at 5 and 10, and for Promoted Classes it's 1 and 15.

Jachaos

I'm at 18 hours in (on the game clock - not activity log), just finished up Paralogue 6 and am at mission 17 (I think). This hard-classic playthrough is easily going to be more than what I've been hearing this game is as far as duration goes. Plus you've got the replay value.

This game is driving me insane! I retried chapter 6 around 15 times now with no success (hard -classic). I guess it's because I'm a noob at this *tries again*

Is this the chapter with reinforcements coming from the west and the boss that moves towards you when you get swarmed from the mountains and the canyon ? If so, I had to resort to the RD-Hard ways : only use the best units, keep them packed together in a defensive spot and heal them. After a couple turns I started going after the remaining units to finish them off.

So I got into a skirmish with Prince Marth so that I wouldn't level up more units that I actually use than necessery, and was all ready for him to kick ass and save Anna who was on the map too...and then I realize that he didn't even come with a Bronze Sword and was completely unarmed with none of my other units having a spare sword.

What's even worse...
tumblr_mhu9pgVjYO1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Is that I also had to break his heart :(

CSX

Question about post chapter 11

So what happens if Chrom married a girl that he didnt max out support with? Does it automatically go to S or you still got to level it up?

Seik

Banned
Ok, I'm genuinely bad at this game. :(

It definitely seems good though, I want to do it the 'hard' way since many claims that the normal difficulty is a cakewalk. But after having my ass kicked so much time I'm reconsidering it, I mean, holy shit, I'm only at mission 2 and I Game Over'd like 6-7 times.

rockx4

Still early in the game, like Chapter 6 or so. I'm having a very hard time keeping some characters leveled up. I have weak ass characters that get 1 shot on the map, and I hate losing characters so I keep reloading. Should I be pairing characters up more? I really hate losing out on character turns and attacks... plus I'll have even more characters underleveled.

Edit: I started having Frederick run up and soak up a shit load of damage and let my weaklings go in for the kill. Feels so tedious lol.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Still early in the game, like Chapter 6 or so. I'm having a very hard time keeping some characters leveled up. I have weak ass characters that get 1 shot on the map, and I hate losing characters so I keep reloading. Should I be pairing characters up more? I really hate losing out on character turns and attacks... plus I'll have even more characters underleveled.

Edit: I started having Frederick run up and soak up a shit load of damage and let my weaklings go in for the kill. Feels so tedious lol.

Run through the dlc mission a few times to gain some levels and build some supports. Even just a level C support can really help. Also pairing is great. Position yourself right and you shouldn't have to worry too much about losing turns.

rockx4

Run through the dlc mission a few times to gain some levels and build some supports. Even just a level C support can really help. Also pairing is great. Position yourself right and you shouldn't have to worry too much about losing turns.

Do you intentional keep characters close to build up support? I've been trying to move characters up to specific spots, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do you intentional keep characters close to build up support? I've been trying to move characters up to specific spots, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Yeah I do. It's not always easy but you can manage it most of the time if you plan it out. Taking full advantage of enemy zones feature is incredibly useful, as is liking at their weapons. After a while it didn't even become all that hard at setting where and what pairs you want in areas.

Just one thing I want to be clear on regarding children.

If you marry characters after chapter 13, the paralogue with their child will sill pop up on the world map, right?

Mr. Fix

Just one thing I want to be clear on regarding children.

If you marry characters after chapter 13, the paralogue with their child will sill pop up on the world map, right?

Yep. It'll stay there until you beat it. Also be sure not to actually enter the map until you've decided which of the parents' skills (the last one equipped from each) you want to pass down, otherwise it locks them with whatever the parents had.

Moonlight

Banned
Ok, I'm genuinely bad at this game. :(

It definitely seems good though, I want to do it the 'hard' way since many claims that the normal difficulty is a cakewalk. But after having my ass kicked so much time I'm reconsidering it, I mean, holy shit, I'm only at mission 2 and I Game Over'd like 6-7 times.
Don't believe their lies. The difficulty levels explain recommended difficulty levels precisely. If you're new to Fire Emblem, Normal is the way to go. Unless you're skilled in previous Fire Emblem games, normal is definitely not a 'cakewalk', especially if you aren't careful about unit positioning and weaknesses. It will definitely still punish you if you make a mistake. There's just more margin for recovery.

Veitsev

So I got into a skirmish with Prince Marth so that I wouldn't level up more units that I actually use than necessery, and was all ready for him to kick ass and save Anna who was on the map too...and then I realize that he didn't even come with a Bronze Sword and was completely unarmed with none of my other units having a spare sword.

What's even worse...
tumblr_mhu9pgVjYO1qhhv13o1_500.jpg

Is that I also had to break his heart :(

How are you guys getting this menu? Keep looking for it and can't find it.

Tunavi

Banned
if the game keeps up at the pace of quality its at right now, this will be one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Its really clicking for me at chapter 5

I just discovered the most wonderful thing! Pairing Gaius up with someone give +1 Movement. Anyone who had trouble reaching the village in Paralogue 2? Pair Gaius up with your Peg Knight for extra movement, and when you get into range of the archers, switch Gaius to lead unit so your Peg Knight won't get skewered by arrows.

Paralogue 3 is really pissing me off. The AI is retarded, running right into enemies when literally any other direction is better. Unlucky crits and misses is one thing but this is another level of bullshit.

They seem to be running to the left all the time. In previous FE games, NPCs and Thieves would run for an invisible escape point, but I saved these guys before they got to the edge of the map so I dunno if that's what they're doing.

No wonder I couldn't find it. Kind of a dumb place for Nintendo to put that.

Well it is literally an extra thing that's just for fun that has no effect on anything, and is not affected by anything, so the Extra menu makes sense.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I love this game, but I just can't seem to find enough time to play it! First time I have ever wanted my daily train commute to be longer!

I hope that people who want to get their hands on this game have been able to find it. It's the first game that's really hooked me in a long time.

The voice-overs for the story bits are so bizarre. The generic copy-and-paste bits are questionably applied half the time, and the lines they properly dub seem to be chosen at random. The translation and dub are both of solid quality, though.

More importantly, as of the end of chapter 4, Sully is leading the waifu wars.

Also, is it weird that I've been getting a lot of heroic weapons from sparkly spots? I've already picked up someone's lightning tome, someone's bow, and Hector's Axe.

Seik

Banned
Don't believe their lies. The difficulty levels explain recommended difficulty levels precisely. If you're new to Fire Emblem, Normal is the way to go. Unless you're skilled in previous Fire Emblem games, normal is definitely not a 'cakewalk', especially if you aren't careful about unit positioning and weaknesses. It will definitely still punish you if you make a mistake. There's just more margin for recovery.

I'll probably start over at normal then, thanks for the tips.

I would probably lose patience at this rate anyway. :mad:

Sigh. Counter skill. -_-

I'm beasting through Chapter 18. Getting great EXP, great growths. And then Chrom gets attacked.

I don't die from the attack though. The opponent misses. In return, I slam the enemy with tons of damage and get double countered. Chrom's dead. Restart.

I should probably read how Counter works in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom