• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I love this game so much but all the makes this thread unbearable.

Come on man, don't be like that.

We're just having fun is all. And we are genuinely helpful to everyone seeking help/direction.

If all we can talk about is game mechanics and such and such then this thread will become sterile fast :(

It's just a bit of harmless fun, is all I am saying :)

Come on man, don't be like that.

We're just having fun is all. And we are genuinely helpful to everyone seeking help/direction.

If all we can talk about is game mechanics and such and such then this thread will become sterile fast :(

It's just a bit of harmless fun, is all I am saying :)
I know I know
I'm sorry. A lot of shit got ruined for me by a weeaboo ex gf.

So I've put a lot of time into this game, almost done everything. haven't married everyone though.

What are some cute/non-cringeworthy pairings for the second-gen? Only ones I've married so far are Morgan/Lucina and that was cute. I heard Yarne/Nah is good?

I wanna avoid any awful S-ranks though and I don't wanna spoil the supports on youtube since I've played the whole game blind so far. Like for instance, I thought Frederick and Cordelia would make a cute couple, both are strong knights, kinda workaholic, and devoted to Chrom. But the confession sorta blindsided me, poor Frederick. Spent his whole proposal saying how he'll never measure up to Chrom lol. I felt kinda guilty doing that to him.

Thankfully most of my other marriage choices were pretty satisfying, though there are a couple I'd change.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I've put a lot of time into this game, almost done everything. haven't married everyone though.

What are some cute/non-cringeworthy pairings for the second-gen? Only ones I've married so far are Morgan/Lucina and that was cute. I heard Yarne/Nah is good?

I wanna avoid any awful S-ranks though and I don't wanna spoil the supports on youtube since I've played the whole game blind so far. Like for instance, I thought Frederick and Cordelia would make a cute couple, both are strong knights, kinda workaholic, and devoted to Chrom. But the confession sorta blindsided me, poor Frederick. Spent his whole proposal saying how he'll never measure up to Chrom lol. I felt kinda guilty doing that to him.

Thankfully most of my other marriage choices were pretty satisfying, though there are a couple I'd change.

Really, this is something that you kind of have to decide for yourself, since what I might say cringeworthy you might find cute and likewise.

Hmm... just pair everybody you are planning to have to A and then see their S support one by one to see which one that you'll like the most to be paired off.

For me personally, off the top of my head I like Brady x Cynthia, Gerome x Kjelle, Kjelle x Inigo, Inigo x Noire, Nah x Yarne. For Severa, anyone is fine IMO (though Kincaido might kill me for this since she can also be paired off with Yarne, hahaha)

Does anyone actually like Gerome? (the offspring of Cherche).

I just got him and have to say he's hard to top as the worst character in the game.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Night Wing is alright. Give him a short axe and rename it batarang for some cheap laughs.

Really, this is something that you kind of have to decide for yourself, since what I might say cringeworthy you might find cute and likewise.

Hmm... just pair everybody you are planning to have to A and then see their S support one by one to see which one that you'll like the most to be paired off.

For me personally, off the top of my head I like Brady x Cynthia, Gerome x Kjelle, Kjelle x Inigo, Inigo x Noire, Nah x Yarne. For Severa, anyone is fine IMO (though Kincaido might kill me for this since she can also be paired off with Yarne, hahaha)

Yarne should be forever alone.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Though after reading some things, I kinda wanna put Laurent with Noire just to see if it's that bad. Thanks for the suggestions. Inigo was a tough one for me to decide, hard to imagine him being faithful.

And I actually like Gerome. He's like your typical Sasuke type, but he has his moments. I like his support with female Morgan. Hubba Hubba Awooga!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I just got him and have to say he's hard to top as the worst character in the game.

Well he's a straight-arrow. That's why I generally paired him off with another straight-arrow, Kjelle.

Though his support with female Morgan is adorable, but that is just because female Morgan herself is unbelievably adorable.

Aww I kinda like Yarne. He's not so bad. He's like the cowardly lion-bunny!

Only character I didn't really like was Olivia. Even for this game's standards, her character was just way too exaggerated. How does someone that shy wear that kinda outfit, especially from the back!!!

Well he's a straight-arrow. That's why I generally paired him off with another straight-arrow, Kjelle.

Though his support with female Morgan is adorable, but that is just because female Morgan herself is unbelievably adorable.

haha okay. Just from a design perspective thought he was pretty out there. Also had to roll my eyes at another cynical character (he's basically the last character ill be getting in this playthrough). Alot of these kids have chips on their shoulders.

Solune

Character's whose supports I don't like (so far):

Virion
Nowi
Sully
Vaike
Donnel
Really? Everyone else I agree with but I love interactions with Virion. I don't hate Vaike necessarily but they made him Chrom's Rival, the sort that annoys everyone like Ryoga to Ranma.

I wouldn't say he's the worst in the game when Kjelle exists but I'm not really that fond of him. But his support with Laurent made me respect Laurent much more as a character than his mother.
I dump Yarne on Nah every time.

If I could I would not ever use Nowi, either.

Yarne x Kjelle for me. The worst children can have each other.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Poor Kjelle.

She's not all that bad.

My children's rank:

Lucina.
Female Morgan.
Cynthia.
Noire.
Nah.
Severa.
Brady.
Inigo.
Owain.
Laurent.
Yarne.
Kjelle.

Note that even though I put Kjelle at the bottom I don't hate her. In fact, I don't dislike any of the children character, really.

And morgan doesn't have a male version

I got some guys avatar show up on my map, but I have only streetpassed my sisters 3DS and she hasn't played Fire Emblem. Do they show up randomly from any streetpass?

Yeah, even from random streetpass.

Gregorn

I got some guys avatar show up on my map, but I have only streetpassed my sisters 3DS and she hasn't played Fire Emblem. Do they show up randomly from any streetpass?

Oxx

Side story 21 is up.

I guess I had to talk to
YenFay
to recruit him. I'm not sure if I care enough to redo the mission.

Side story 21 is up.

I guess I had to talk to
YenFay
to recruit him. I'm not sure if I care enough to redo the mission.
Yeah, you gotta talk to him with
Say'ri

I wish I got this game sooner, I probably missed most of the good discussion. But I really think that this was a phenomenal game and I've truly enjoyed every bit of time I've spent with it. I worried about the future of FE after Radiant Dawn, not because that game was bad, but that it really didn't innovate much and a lot of the reviews ragged on it. Plus I think the sales were not up to snuff. I wasn't even sure they were gonna make any brand new FEs.

But Awakening truly innovates and brings the series back to life for me. Lots of new ideas, the support system is gonna make it hard to go back to the older system ever again. Love the marriage aspect and MU creation. Great character designs. And a personal favorite feature: voice acting, something I've wanted in FE for a long time. Plus all the bonus spotpass content and I even liked the DLC.

The return to a handheld was a very good one. I loved Path of Radiance, but a lot of people complained about the graphics and how it was too much like the GBA games. On handheld it doesn't have to compete with monster budgets and all that. FE was never about that anyway.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents about the game, and glad to see that GAF seems to be in love with the game as I am. Definitely my GotY so far.

aravuus

Good. You don't belong here then.

lmfao

Anyway! Got my copy yessssssssss! It wasn't supposed to arrive until next week according to amazon, after all, I did order it with the cheapest postage :V

I think I'm playing way too many games right now but no matter, this is the one I'm most interested atm. This first, Demon's Souls next and then it'll be nice to move on to some easier games for a change.

Soulhouf

tumblr_ml7qu7FpwP1qbahh7o1_400.jpg

Best child. He ended up being the strongest character in my last run with Gregor as his father.

TrueBlue

I gotta say, I don't really dislike any characters in this game. Considering how many there are, I think that's quite an achievement.

aravuus

Okay so, supporting characters in battle (standing next to them while fighting, not sure if "support" is the actual word used here) opens new support conversations between characters, right? And S rank is needed to get two characters to marry? Are there any story blocks to these or is it theoretically possible to get open every conversation for the characters I have as soon as I can take part in non-story related battles?

Okay so, supporting characters in battle (standing next to them while fighting, not sure if "support" is the actual word used here) opens new support conversations between characters, right? And S rank is needed to get two characters to marry? Are there any story blocks to these or is it theoretically possible to get open every conversation for the characters I have as soon as I can take part in non-story related battles?

Yep, pretty much. There are other actions that allow you to gain support points too--if you see love hearts fly around, you can be sure supports are building up.

Nope, there aren't any story limitation, so feel free to go crazy : P

McNum

Chrom has a story block. The rest don't. If Chrom isn't married by the end of chapter 11, he will be married to the female on his support list with the highest support.

As long as a character is on another character's support list and can go all the way to S rank, they can marry. Look out for Sumia, by the way, her support list is rather short compared to most of the other characters.

And you can only get one S rank per character. And you can't remarry if one of them die either.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just got this game, I'm playing on hard dif/casual mode, and man. I can't imagine playing on non-casual. Half my dudes die every battle, often in a single hit (looking at you, Sumia.)

Having a lot of fun though!

Soulhouf

But he's slapping himself ! He's pretty much the best melee support char in the game with the right dad (Gregor/Stahl/Vaike).

Right, he is slapping his younger self.

He's an insane damage dealer, so why put him as a support character?
I've beaten that ultimate DLC with him.

aravuus

Yep, pretty much.

Chrom has a story block. The rest don't.

Alright, thanks you two. What a delightfully simple system, I was afraid it'd be overly stupid and complex but this seems just fine. In fact the notion applies to the whole game, it feels like they've taken most of the unnecessarily complex stuff out, left the core SRPG gameplay intact while still retaining the strategic aspect of the genre. It is possible this will overtake Disgaea 3 and FFT on my SRPG fav list, the story is probably the deciding factor here.

Draxal

Right, he is slapping his younger self.

He's an insane damage dealer, so why put him as a support character?
I've beaten that ultimate DLC with him.

Insane damage dealers are the best support characters, and with him as support you won't have to worry about having to survive and stuff and do what he is the best at (doing insane damage); he only loses an activated skill but it's not the worst thing that can happen.

Choose 5 out of aggressor/+2 stats/limitbreaker/dual Suppport +/Dual Guard +/Armsthrift/axefaire/ all work great in a support setting and he still hits like a truck.

demidar

Just finished the game. Wow the final boss was such a pushover. I even decimated most of the respawns until I got bored.

Great game, now I just have to buy and finish some of the DLC.

Really? Everyone else I agree with but I love interactions with Virion. I don't hate Vaike necessarily but they made him Chrom's Rival, the sort that annoys everyone like Ryoga to Ranma.

Well not hate hate, just tired of his flowerly language and his hard to understand battle speak.

Come on man, Kjelle is cool :(

Mine is practically a brick wall

She would be better if she was actually a brick wall.

Mark1

What can you do in the game once the story is over? I've seen people log up to 500 hours in it. I'd love to know there was soo much more to the game afterwards.

demidar

What can you do in the game once the story is over? I've seen people log up to 500 hours in it. I'd love to know there was soo much more to the game afterwards.

The game doesn't save if you finished the last mission, leaving you with the latest save game to continue with. The optional/DLC stuff is kind of like a post game, they are generally harder than the last mission.

-Horizon-

Get all those character supports, grind stats, get and play DLC maps, play different difficulty.
I'm only at ~100 hours lol.

Ghazi

DLC, harder difficulty run throughs (the game logs your time even if you reset, which you will most likely do frequently in the harder difficulty(ies?)). Yeah, right now I'm just fighting spotpass teams to grind and build up supports, so that's another thing.

Just started this game the other day. My first game in the series and second in the genre (after Pokemon Conquest). I must say, the threat of losing units permanently really makes you consider each of your moves more carefully. Makes it all the more interesting.

-Horizon-

Cheers. How does the character support system work?
Pair up and battle enemies. Seeds of Trust help. You can randomly increase relationship points a little bit in the barracks conversations and sometimes when you step on a glittering tile while paired up on a map.

Also pay attention that the characters you want to increase relationship with can support each other in the first place. Look at the support table in game.

Top Bottom