• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

As long as you have a constant supply of Dragonstones, Nowi is pretty good. Her reclass options are... okay, but the question really is if you want to go though 10 levels of Wyvern Rider or just go Manakete to 30 before going for the other skills.

Markun

My New Leaf hand twitches.

I finally got all the children characters after a busy week + me being caught up in the E3 excitement. Small thoughts again just because.

Yarne - I took the manly route for his paralogue. Those poor unlucky bastards never stood a chance against my super powered family. Anyway, his supports are kind of meh to me, although I laughed at his support with Morgan.
My little girl is a sadist. Must've got that from Lissa
. I also enjoyed his support with Panne. I also like his crit and skill lines.

Cynthia - She's Sumia's daughter all right. I kinda like her with the white blonde hair color thing Henry gives her. I do like her chipper attitude and the hero complex thing, and she is cute. I really like her supports too, especially with Owain, Brady, and Gerome. Unfortunately, I'm also having a real hard time on who to hitch her with. She's perfect for bestest son, but she's also perfect for Brady and Batman. GAH! She's fine combat-wise, and I love her battle lines.

Nah - Blonde Nah looks cute. I honestly have no idea how to feel about Nah, character-wise though. I really liked her parent supports, but the supports with the other children characters range from good (Morgan, Yarne) to ugh (Inigo). I dunno, maybe I feel she goes a bit too far with the teasing and what not with some of the other characters and I don't like that. Combat-wise though, she's beast. Her growth rate is insane and she's chomping enemies down like no one's business.

Gerome - Dragon-riding Batman. He was pretty much dead weight in his paralogue so I had him hide in a safe corner while my army did the dirty work. I honestly was expecting all of his supports to be serious business, but his father support along with some of his other supports caught me off guard and I ended up laughing a lot through most them. He could stand to be nicer to Cherche though. In combat, he makes a good supporter and taxi for my other characters. Thank you, Deliverer.

Yay! Now it's time for me to actually continue the plot... after I pay off my loan to Tom Nook.

GamerSoul

Do you do grinding in DLCs?

If not, than Panne. She is one of the mainstays of non-grinding playthrough for Lunatic/Lunatic+ due to her general consistency when leveling up (her strength, especially.)

However personality wise Nowi's kid >>>>>>>>>> her kid, though they are perfect for one another, hahaha.

I usually just grind a bit on the Risens but nothing too substantial yet. For this normal playthrough, I want to see how easy I can get through it with a fairly small group of units. I already beat Hard mode so after this Lunatic will be my next playthrough so Panne I guess will be one of my units.

As long as you have a constant supply of Dragonstones, Nowi is pretty good. Her reclass options are... okay, but the question really is if you want to go though 10 levels of Wyvern Rider or just go Manakete to 30 before going for the other skills.

I didn't even think of their other classes that might be a deal breaker for me. I'll check them later. I'm not a big fan of fliers in this game. They're ok but dem Snipers will cause too many restarts. lol

Thanks for the input guys.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I love the brutality of non-grinding, efficient Lunatic/lunatic+ playthrough.

No room for below-the-par characters at all. Or pain-in-the-ass-to-raise one.

Donnel, you're out.
Stahl, stop wasting space and go sit down at the corner!
Gregor, stop being useless. Out!

Etc, etc.

GamerSoul

I love the brutality of non-grinding, efficient Lunatic/lunatic+ playthrough.

No room for below-the-par characters at all. Or pain-in-the-ass-to-raise one.

Donnel, you're out.
Stahl, stop wasting space and go sit down at the corner!
Gregor, stop being useless. Out!

Etc, etc.

lol Aww man, I know I'm going to struggle with Lunatic already but that's basically how I played my first play through on Hard mode. lol.

Donnel, I heard many great things about you but you can't keep up. I even made you a custom bronze lance and everything.
Lon'qu, you're getting outclassed by Owain in every way possible, sit down plz.
Miriel, idk how you're still alive with all those close calls, so I guess I'll keep you for now.
Lissa, I know I screwed up and turn you into a War Cleric but you're back to strictly healing.
Olivia, I'm sorry but I can't be having weak-links when those reinforcements come from who knows where.
Sumia, what happened to you? You're sole purpose now is pairing back support.
Cherche, plz don't die again because of some shitty luck. She didn't listen :'l

Morgan, Damn girl, just Damn.

Fabrik

Banned
Gregor's supports with Cordelia are hilarious.

Although I don't know why she needs advice on winning someone's heart when SHE'S ALREADY MARRIED.

Have you been fighting all of the risen?

You mean the randoms on the map? Yes recently but not from the start. Do you really have to grind to succeed?

Is Donnel really worth it? I saved him in his first mission on my Normal playthrough but he's just too weak.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You mean the randoms on the map? Yes recently but not from the start. Do you really have to grind to succeed?

Is Donnel really worth it? I saved him in his first mission on my Normal playthrough but he's just too weak.

Normal/Hard, yeah. Plus he is only one of the few that can pass Dark Flier to female kids, and that means Galeforce.

At least let him conceive a child with one of the potential mothers (God I feel so dirty saying this) with a female child that can't give the female kid Galeforce the natural way. Just ditch him afterward if you want to.

However, Lunatic/Lunatic+? Assuming no DLC/Grinding, he is such a major pain in the ass to use/recruit. Trying to recruit him in his first map on no grind Lunatic/Lunatic+ runs was actually one of the hardest things in the world ever.

GamerSoul

So galeforce give you a chance to move again if you kill an enemy? I never really understood it but I know Aversa has it and I think I've seen it in action maybe once.

And who else can pass it? lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So galeforce give you a chance to move again if you kill an enemy? I never really understood it but I know Aversa has it and I think I've seen it in action maybe once.

And who else can pass it? lol.

Yeah. A galeforce unit paired with another galeforce unit can move/attack up to 3 times (using switch). It is invaluable for many scenarios, and it can greatly extend a unit's movement to a ridiculous degree by using enemies as a stop and move again launchpad.

Anyways, it's a variable question depending on who marries who.

Chrom's daughter can learn Galeforce as long as her mother wasn't Sully or nameless village girl.

Can naturally learn Galeforce: Sumia, Cordelia, and Male MU's kids.
Can naturally learn Galeforce if the father has male exclusive classes (Warrior/Berserker) class but has a female kid: Gaius, Donnel, male MU married to Nowi, Sully, or Tharja.

Can only inherit Galeforce from their moms: Female Mu, Maribelle, Lissa, and Olivia's sons.

Can't get Galeforce ever: Miriel, Panne, and Cherche's sons.

GamerSoul

Wow its very interesting and makes planning all the more important to say the least. I want that. I think I'm going to try to get a few units with it this time.

demidar

Yeah. A galeforce unit paired with another galeforce unit can move/attack up to 3 times (using switch). It is invaluable for many scenarios, and it can greatly extend a unit's movement to a ridiculous degree by using enemies as a stop and move again launchpad.

Anyways, it's a variable question depending on who marries who.

Chrom's daughter can learn Galeforce as long as her mother wasn't Sully or nameless village girl.

Can naturally learn Galeforce: Sumia, Severa, and Male MU's kids.
Can naturally learn Galeforce if the father has male exclusive classes (Warrior/Berserker) class but has a female kid: Gaius, Donnel, male MU married to Nowi, Sully, or Tharja.

Can only inherit Galeforce from their moms: Female Mu, Maribelle, Lissa, and Olivia's sons.

Can't get Galeforce ever: Miriel, Panne, and Cherche's sons.

I'm pretty sure Cordelia can get it as well. Cordelia passes it on to Sevara.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm pretty sure Cordelia can get it as well. Cordelia passes it on to Sevara.

Well, that's why I said Severa can learn it naturally regardless who her father is.

Eh, ooooops, I should have said Sumia, Cordelia, and Male MU.

*Smacks head*

Corrected it, and let your post be my hall of shame :(

Fabrik

Banned
Normal/Hard, yeah. Plus he is only one of the few that can pass Dark Flier to female kids, and that means Galeforce.

At least let him conceive a child with one of the potential mothers (God I feel so dirty saying this) with a female child that can't give the female kid Galeforce the natural way. Just ditch him afterward if you want to.

However, Lunatic/Lunatic+? Assuming no DLC/Grinding, he is such a major pain in the ass to use/recruit. Trying to recruit him in his first map on no grind Lunatic/Lunatic+ runs was actually one of the hardest things in the world ever.

Thanks. Ok I'll try to stick with him even if he looks a bit ridiculous. Does his portrait change when he changes class?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks. Ok I'll try to stick with him even if he looks a bit ridiculous. Does his portrait change when he changes class?

Nah, nobody does that.

One of the unfortunate things about FE:A, is the disconnect between gameplay and narrative sometimes.

Like how Cordelia says stuff about Chrom in her support regardless of her status of marriage, or how Cherche still Minerva this Minerva that even if you change her into a Griffon Rider, etc etc etc.

Soulhouf

Galeforce need to disappear in the next FE. It completely skewed many considerations.
Instead, make mounted units be able to move again if they still have a room (as in other FE like FE4). It will make them more relevant as units.

Blasty

Galeforce need to disappear in the next FE. It completely skewed many considerations.
Instead, make mounted units be able to move again if they still have a room (as in other FE like FE4).

As much as I like Galeforce, I agree.

I also hope IS makes the next game more difficult to break.

OceanBlue

They just need to tone down skills or make them less accessible (I liked how PoR went about this), in my opinion. I like the weaker pre-promote skills though. It's definitely better than having characters run around at the start of the game with Vantage and Adept, lol.

demidar

They just need to tone down skills or make them less accessible (I liked how PoR went about this), in my opinion. I like the weaker pre-promote skills though. It's definitely better than having characters run around at the start of the game with Vantage and Adept, lol.

I don't think there should be skills that are just heads and shoulders above the rest, like Galeforce and Limit Breaker.

NeonZ

Like how Cordelia says stuff about Chrom in her support regardless of her status of marriage

I don't think that was badly handled. Outside of S supports, Cordelia either mentions Chrom in a non romantic way, or mentions that she loves someone, but the person isn't specified. The Gregor S support actually addressed that pretty directly, with her saying that in the beginning she was talking about Chrom, but later the unnamed person that she loved was Gregor himself. I'd assume the same goes to most of her other S supports, even if it's not mentioned directly, aside from poor Frederick.

Chrom

Is there any way of deleting the avatars you randomly recruit?
They're just cluttering up my squad now and I never use them.....

Get them killed or fill up your queue enough so that new characters from SpotPass or DLC you recruit in the future replace them. That's all the game really offers to let you dispose of those guest characters.

GamerSoul

You need female MU to pass it down to Morgan.

Lissa: Cleric > War Cleric > Dark Flier > Sage

I still can get it if I turned Lissa into a Sage right? lol

For this playthrough so far, the convos are a bit more entertaining.

I was trying to get Olivia to marry Chrom but he married MU :/ I chose the female MU this time and I forgot about it until it was too late.

Lon'qu X Cordelia: From the beginning, I think there was a nice chemistry between them, each wanting to help the other. And Lon'qu seemed to want to get passed his fear and get closer to her. The S support was good, Lon'qu even mentioned Chrom but Cordelia said she didn't love him anymore. lol

Gregor x Nowi: Still kinda weird because Nowi's personality appearance but their convos were sweet. I mean she made the dude a sweater and Gregor is fun.

Sully x Gaius: Very entertaining couple and convos. A lot of little gems throughout them. My favorite:

Sully: Hey, Chuckles. I've been looking for you.

Gaius: Hello, Sully. Slap anyone upside the head lately?

Sully: Not yet, but the day is still young. ...
--------------------------------------------------

Although you could say Sully is a bit tough on him with her training regiment but Gaius not only handles it but starts to like it (and her). The S support is just pure gold.

Fredrick x Maribelle: also entertaining. I thought Fred was a butler also heh, and so far Maribelle is really getting a hang of the ways of Butler Fred by the A support. She was pretty annoying at the beginning though but Fred can handle her.

I'm thinking of picking this up. Never played an FE game, but I loved the Advance Wars series.

Is there any downside to playing Casual mode? I just know that if I played Classic, I'd be resetting all the damn time.

I'm thinking of picking this up. Never played an FE game, but I loved the Advance Wars series.

Is there any downside to playing Casual mode? I just know that if I played Classic, I'd be resetting all the damn time.

Not really.

If you want to play the secret hardest setting on Classic, you have to beat Lunatic on Classic too.

Well, I guess if you purposely want somebody dead, you can't kill them in Casual : P

Gambit

Who should I marry Maribelle and Cherche off to?

Unavailable males are Chrom, Robin, Frederik, Stahl, Donnel, Gaius, Kellem, Lon'qu, Libra.

It feels like Virion is meant for Cherche, but I find his personality more fitting for Maribelle.

Who should I marry Maribelle and Cherche off to?

Unavailable males are Chrom, Robin, Frederik, Stahl, Donnel, Gaius, Kellem, Lon'qu, Libra.

It feels like Virion is meant for Cherche, but I find his personality more fitting for Maribelle.

Marry Cherche to The Vaike for Wyvernman and Maribelle to Henry for Balls-To-The-Wall Brady.

Blasty

I still can get it if I turned Lissa into a Sage right? lol

For this playthrough so far, the convos are a bit more entertaining.

I was trying to get Olivia to marry Chrom but he married MU :/ I chose the female MU this time and I forgot about it until it was too late.

Lon'qu X Cordelia: From the beginning, I think there was a nice chemistry between them, each wanting to help the other. And Lon'qu seemed to want to get passed his fear and get closer to her. The S support was good, Lon'qu even mentioned Chrom but Cordelia said she didn't love him anymore. lol

Gregor x Nowi: Still kinda weird because Nowi's personality appearance but their convos were sweet. I mean she made the dude a sweater and Gregor is fun.

Sully x Gaius: Very entertaining couple and convos. A lot of little gems throughout them. My favorite:

Sully: Hey, Chuckles. I've been looking for you.

Gaius: Hello, Sully. Slap anyone upside the head lately?

Sully: Not yet, but the day is still young. ...
--------------------------------------------------

Although you could say Sully is a bit tough on him with her training regiment but Gaius not only handles it but starts to like it (and her). The S support is just pure gold.

Fredrick x Maribelle: also entertaining. I thought Fred was a butler also heh, and so far Maribelle is really getting a hang of the ways of Butler Fred by the A support. She was pretty annoying at the beginning though but Fred can handle her.

The order doesn't really matter too much. I prefer to go Sage last because it's Lissa's final class for me.

ohlawd

Limit breaker isn't a issue tho since it's dlc. Galeforce being gender exclusive suck.

No problem with gender exclusive skills.

But as much as I like it for combat, I wish those same skills weren't passable to kids of the opposite gender.

Celegus

Oh man... my first Fire Emblem game ever. As a huge SRPG fan I know this is pretty much blasphemy, but they've always been so expensive and hard to find. I knew I was going to love this game, but I think even going in with super high expecations I'm still impressed. I'm only on Chapter 6 or so, but I can really see myself wringing every bit of content out of this puppy.

No deaths yet, playing Normal Classic. And screw Frederick, I don't need yo' help!

So if someone wanted to get into this series after enjoying this entry, where should I start?

Also, how much harder is Lunatic than Hard? I skeered
Start with either a game on the GBA called simply "Fire Emblem" or a Gamecube game called "Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance". Those are the most accessible story and gameplay-wise and best quality imo.

Never played Lunatic, so I can't really answer the second question, but I've heard it isn't called Lunatic for nothing.

CorvoSol

Finally finished grinding Avatar up and so at long last was able to have him get hitched to Best Girl Cordelia. Now on to Lon'qu and Tharja.

Also, regarding the Avatar and a certain DLC,
what do you guys think? Is the Avatar the same as the one from FE7? Cuz Validar's backstory for him seems to contradict that.

Finally finished grinding Avatar up and so at long last was able to have him get hitched to Best Girl Cordelia. Now on to Lon'qu and Tharja.

Also, regarding the Avatar and a certain DLC,
what do you guys think? Is the Avatar the same as the one from FE7? Cuz Validar's backstory for him seems to contradict that.

Nah, I agree with your last point.

It's just breaking the 4th wall.

Celegus

New Leaf has killed my Fire Emblem streak.

Probably for the best.

(Until I get Limit Break)

Trying to balance the two is going to be... interesting. Plus the FFV job fiesta, I can't even remember the last time I touched a game not on a DS.

Oxx

At least I have both digitally. I'll just have to remember to make sure I save properly before switching around.

Top Bottom