• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

So if someone wanted to get into this series after enjoying this entry, where should I start?

Also, how much harder is Lunatic than Hard? I skeered

What Megidolaon said is probably the best answer. IS has been trying forever to get newcomers into the series, and pretty much every game after FE5 (with the exception of Radiant Dawn) reflects that. The GBA games are pretty basic, bare-bones gameplay, so you don't need to worry about skills and reclassing and all that. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are more complex, but in a different way than Awakening.

What you will need to get used to is the chapters proceeding linearly, with no break for grinding in between.

FSLink

Banned
Also, regarding the Avatar and a certain DLC,
what do you guys think? Is the Avatar the same as the one from FE7? Cuz Validar's backstory for him seems to contradict that.

With your point + other points in the game, it's pretty clear that it's just a reference/homage or whatever. Morgan's Japanese name being Mark also points to it just being a reference. :p

Kenka

I got incredibly lucky in my attempt to defeat
Cassius
. He would kill any single individual in my group and I suicide-attempted at surrounding him with pairs. He missed every attack and I got to kick his ass thanks to two successive 4-hit combos. I fail to realize even now how bold and unlikely the attack was.

CorvoSol

Nah, I agree with your last point.

It's just breaking the 4th wall.

With your point + other points in the game, it's pretty clear that it's just a reference/homage or whatever. Morgan's Japanese name being Mark also points to it just being a reference. :p

I actually prefer it the other way around,
The Avatar IS Lyn's, and Validar is just lying about being his father. That or the Avatar fled Plegia for Elibe, and has arrived in Ylisse following his adventures there. I just like to think he finally was reunited with her, even if I shipped her with Eliwood.

What Megidolaon said is probably the best answer. IS has been trying forever to get newcomers into the series, and pretty much every game after FE5 (with the exception of Radiant Dawn) reflects that. The GBA games are pretty basic, bare-bones gameplay, so you don't need to worry about skills and reclassing and all that. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are more complex, but in a different way than Awakening.

What you will need to get used to is the chapters proceeding linearly, with no break for grinding in between.

Sounds fine to me. Thanks for the replies.

Jintor

tumblr_moklb5l2Oo1r5elreo1_500.jpg

tumblr_moklb5l2Oo1r5elreo2_500.jpg

Man, I love tumblr

Ezalc

So I love Fire Emblem, but unfortunately I don't have a 3DS yet. I've been lusting to play this game since the first Japanese trailer. Today my friend brought his 3DS to class and I was able to play the FE demo a bit. It's so beautiful, I need to get this in my hands as soon as possible.

I actually prefer it the other way around,
The Avatar IS Lyn's, and Validar is just lying about being his father. That or the Avatar fled Plegia for Elibe, and has arrived in Ylisse following his adventures there. I just like to think he finally was reunited with her, even if I shipped her with Eliwood.

UPTDPdA.jpg

Awwwww yiss

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Actually, I think he makes a terrible everybody.

He is one of those characters that depend more on his personality/charm than his actual functionality, like Stahl.

I use him to give Armsthrift to someone. Stahl is one of the better fathers imo since he gives Luna and Astra.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I use him to give Armsthrift to someone. Stahl is one of the better fathers imo since he gives Luna and Astra.

Huh oh yeah I forgot about Armsthrift.

Well alright, he makes a good father then actually.

Although that doesn't help him being a mediocre character all around gameplay wise.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lyndis is one of the best girls, obviously.

So strong, and sexy too.

Which is why it's so awful that FE7 treated her and Hector as the OTP, since Hector is so awful (not a popular opinion I know, but whatever). I refused to pair them up every time I played FE7. No sir, no way!

So strong, and sexy too.

Which is why it's so awful that FE7 treated her and Hector as the OTP, since Hector is so awful (not a popular opinion I know, but whatever). I refused to pair them up every time I played FE7. No sir, no way!

I always pair Lyn with Florina.

and pretend they went off on awesome adventures with the Tactician

So strong, and sexy too.

What? When was this? I thought it was like... Farina or someone.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I always pair Lyn with Florina.

and pretend they went off on awesome adventures with the Tactician

I like this ending.

Too bad she does not exist in a game where she can be paired up with the avatar. Damn now I really want it to happen.

What? When was this? I thought it was like... Farina or someone.

It's pretty obvious. Extra scenes, convos, or what-have-you when you paired that oaf with her.

It is certainly one of the top things I dislike about FE7.

CorvoSol

So strong, and sexy too.

You know, I liked Hector and I STILL hated that the game foisted Lyn on him. I was like "UH, NO, LYN x ELIWOOD, C'MON." and the game was all "YEAH BUT HEY HOW BOUT DAT NINIAN" and I was like "FUCK MANAKETES, BRAH."

Then I A ranked Lyn and Eliwood and my save file somehow deletes her from the ending. I kid you not, no one weds Eliwood, and Lyndis does not appear among individual character ending screens.

I would replay FE7 again to correct this, were it not for the fact that I'm still going through FEA again.

GamerSoul

Cordelia is actually a great unit. I turned her into a mercenary. I'm gonna have the 3 red heads this time. Sully, Cordy, Cherche.

Can't blame him. We all have a special place in our hearts for Lyn <3

This is very true. Great unit and she has a strong yet likable personality. One of the most memorable lords from the NA releases, imo.

So strong, and sexy too.

Heh, I never really paid attention to it but you're right. Eliwood had Ninian so Lyn had ...Hector. lol

GamerSoul

You should include Anna in those ranks.

I totally forgot about her and yes she's on my current roster. It's so Damn hard to narrow down my units even on this Normal playthrough. On Hard it was way easier to tell right away who would be useful without much grinding.

Cordelia is the best unit ever. Not even her daughters can beat her.

I might have to use her when I try Lunatic. I'll be probably grind a lot though.

CorvoSol

Sol Katti ain't got nothing on her forged Waifu Lance! (Brave Lance)

Most units couldn't even HIT Lyn when I played. The only thing to hit her in like, 20 stages was the Dragon. Pretty sure Lyn could dodge. She's Lyn. This girl can KO Solid Snake and Ganondorf with the same blow.

CorvoSol

As much as I love Lyn she sucks as a unit.

In FE7 run my better units were Hector, Lucius, Canas and Florina.

I don't know how she sucks. She was nigh untouchable for most of the game for me. As a unit, though, it was Hector who was invincible the whole game. Lyn took damage only when she got hit, which was rare. Hector got hit all the time and took no damage at all.

Frost_Ace

I don't know how she sucks. She was nigh untouchable for most of the game for me. As a unit, though, it was Hector who was invincible the whole game. Lyn took damage only when she got hit, which was rare. Hector got hit all the time and took no damage at all.

low con and strenght make her useless against bosses.

With regular enemies she's good but Raven and Guy turned out better (at least in my run).

GamerSoul

lol I couldn't have said it better myself, honestly. And Canas was beastly and he could HEAL so I'll agree with that unit.

Draxal

Huh oh yeah I forgot about Armsthrift.

Well alright, he makes a good father then actually.

Although that doesn't help him being a mediocre character all around gameplay wise.

Err no, he has merc/barbarian/myrm trees, all very very good trees. He's one of the best supporting first gen chars (berserker with armsthrift/axefaire/limit breaker/stats +2/aggressor).

GamerSoul

No lie: The Radiant Hero Paralogue is too hard for me in Hard mode:( I didn't come close to having enough units....I need to grind a lot for that one.

CorvoSol

lol I couldn't have said it better myself, honestly. And Canas was beastly and he could HEAL so I'll agree with that unit.

You know who was unexpectedly useful at the end, though? Louise. So many freaking Wyverns come barrelling at you toward the end of that game and she's a high level archer and just eats them alive.

Ok... Ok...

I've never been into this JRPG stuff. I dont like the battle system. I played the demo for this game and it was amazing... but the battle system... the battle system...

Am I missing something here? The characters look great! The cut scenes look amazing! I've heard nothing but positive things about this game... I just really cant get into the battle system. I just dont wanna invest time and money into a game that I will stop playing in a few hours. I really want to play this game, but I feel like its going to disappoint me like Ocarina of time.

Damn...

Frost_Ace

Ok... Ok...

I've never been into this JRPG stuff. I dont like the battle system. I played the demo for this game and it was amazing... but the battle system... the battle system...

Am I missing something here? The characters look great! The cut scenes look amazing! I've heard nothing but positive things about this game... I just really cant get into the battle system. I just dont wanna invest time and money into a game that I will stop playing in a few hours. I really want to play this game, but I feel like its going to disappoint me like Ocarina of time.

Damn...

I don't get it, you liked the demo and didn't like the BS? Isn't the demo gameplay only? :S

Celegus

Ok... Ok...

Damn...

Well, that is pretty much all this game is. I'm not even that far yet, and the battles can take around an hour each. The characters are interesting, but only because of how they're used in battles. The story seems serviceable but nobody's going to play Fire Emblem simply for the story. If you didn't dig the demo or other SRPGs, you might just have to chalk it up to not being your type of game. Lots of people seem to really like shooters and racing games and fighting games, but I just can't get into them at all.

NeonZ

Nah, I agree with your last point.

It's just breaking the 4th wall.

Personally, I don't think it's just a reference. References are Marth and Katarina saying that the avatar reminds them of Kris, but they obviously aren't the same person (because both are player avatars), but the Lyn conversation goes way beyond that in regards to Mark.

Now, on the other hand, I wouldn't call it "canon" either because the DLC story clearly isn't directly connected to the main story, but I think it's obviously not the same as the Kris references.

Well, that is pretty much all this game is. I'm not even that far yet, and the battles can take around an hour each. The characters are interesting, but only because of how they're used in battles. The story seems serviceable but nobody's going to play Fire Emblem simply for the story. If you didn't dig the demo or other SRPGs, you might just have to chalk it up to not being your type of game. Lots of people seem to really like shooters and racing games and fighting games, but I just can't get into them at all.

I really enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles on the PSP. It is my probably my favorite PSP game next to Patapon 2. I got FF tactics on the PSP because a friend of mine told me that it had a great story and a deep combat system. It had a high learning curve, at least for me.

I get what your saying though, I'm very good at fightiing games. I like the competitive aspect.

I just feel like I'm missing out on some great games. Like you said, maybe they're just not meant for me. Makes me kinda sad actually.

Anteo

Nope. It has some story elements in it. That's why I played it a few times.

I dont like the BS.

What you don't like about the battle system? The fact that is just a bunch of RNG battling each other?

Anyways the game is like 70-80% the battle system. so yeah, skip this game if you don't like that.

Damn... I just cant force myself to like something that I'm just not into. Hopefully I can get into these types of games sooner rather than later... or maybe just at all.

I've never played a FF game. I feel like Im missing a lot.

demidar

What you don't like about the battle system? The fact that is just a bunch of RNG battling each other?

Anyways the game is like 70-80% the battle system. so yeah, skip this game if you don't like that.

I guess he doesn't like how fighting is completely out of his control.

Anteo

Damn... I just cant force myself to like something that I'm just not into. Hopefully I can get into these types of games sooner rather than later... or maybe just at all.

I've never played a FF game. I feel like Im missing a lot.

So I gather you don't like turn based games where you issue an order and hope the RNG doesnt make you miss?

Top Bottom