• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

also

Banned
Reinforcements ARE announced in this game. So much crying over them on here...

I have already addressed this.

''You aren't warned about reinforcements in chapter
, where they appear right in the middle of the map. And even when you are warned, you don't know where they will come from, when, how many and (usually) what class they will be.''

Jintor

Reinforcements ARE announced in this game. So much crying over them on here...

Yeah, they're announced in a way that doesn't allow you to plan for them really unless you've already played the map before. Are they gonna spawn from castles? From the side? Next turn? Turn after? Are they gonna keep spawning? Are they gonna spawn again? Can you stop turtling your healers yet?

The solution of course is to just make all your characters ludicrously overpowered, but still.

demidar

I'm not the one who claimed to always have a backup plan, though he did later backtrack and went from always to ''reasonable degree''. If the game decides to screw you over, it will screw you over and permadeath makes it all the more painful.

Well when you have a non-100% chance to succeed, there is always a chance to fail, ergo reasonable degree i.e. >99% of succeeding. However it's best to play as if the worst possible thing that could happen still won't kill a unit.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Yeah, they're announced in a way that doesn't allow you to plan for them really unless you've already played the map before. Are they gonna spawn from castles? From the side? Next turn? Turn after? Are they gonna keep spawning? Are they gonna spawn again? Can you stop turtling your healers yet?

The solution of course is to just make all your characters ludicrously overpowered, but still.

At least they are announced. It's not hard to pair up your healer and weaker characters with someone to protect them or make a small wall around the weaker characters to protect them. You can do all this when they announce that the reinforcements are coming. Also, there's no turn limit on any missions so you can always just wait an extra turn or two to see if reinforcements come to see if they stopped or not.

Jintor

'sif small wall. There's generally around 12 squares of possible attack for every single unit given the common field-style level design and amount of times flying units are reinforcements and healers are squishy as hell. Pairing up is a better choice but you lose their functionality for the next turn.

Kincaido

How many healers are you using for this to be a constant problem? You shouldn't even be using more than 2. I don't see how it's a problem protecting them especially since most of them can attack too. This whole crying about reinforcements is seriously lol. Hope you guys are at least playing Lunatic if you're gonna complain this much. I really hope the next game has at least twice as many reinforcements that come and attack you on the same turn.

Jintor

How can you not see that a move essentially made out of nowhere with no chance to respond is a fucking pain in the arse in any tactical game? It's like if in chess Queens spawned at random tiles on the board and could move in the same turn, and all the warning you got was 'lol gonna do something wicked in a turn or two look out'

Soulhouf

How many healers are you using for this to be a constant problem? You shouldn't even be using more than 2. I don't see how it's a problem protecting them especially since most of them can attack too. This whole crying about reinforcements is seriously lol. Hope you guys are at least playing Lunatic if you're gonna complain this much. I really hope the next game has at least twice as many reinforcements that come and attack you on the same turn.

Haha, that would be awesome :D
I wonder how many people will come crying in the forums because of that.

demidar

How can you not see that a move essentially made out of nowhere with no chance to respond is a fucking pain in the arse in any tactical game? It's like if in chess Queens spawned at random tiles on the board and could move in the same turn, and all the warning you got was 'lol gonna do something wicked in a turn or two look out'

Ahahahaha that would be fun.

I'm always on the lookout for stair tiles. Fuckers always come out of stair tiles so I park my units right on top of them.

Draxal

Fact is that pretty much any unit can be a healer and combat unit at the same exact time too.

Jintor

That only really becomes true once you start getting to second tier. Getting Lissa and Maribelle up to speed before I could afford to rescue staff spam was a royal pain :T

OceanBlue

That only really becomes true once you start getting to second tier. Getting Lissa and Maribelle up to speed before I could afford to rescue staff spam was a royal pain :T

Lissa and Maribelle leveled up quickly for me. Usually my healers are underleveled, but my healers (especially Lissa) were usually the highest level pre-20.

Draxal

Lissa's incredibly easy to level (20 xp per heal) for for the first 5 levels, they made them incredibly easy to level in this game, and once you get Miriel and Sumia/Cordelia to Sage/Falcon Knights; there is just alot of healers in this game.

Draxal

You didn't go War Cleric first? I did (Dark Flier as well) and my Lissa was one of my best units after reclassing to Sage.

War Cleric is a reallly really bad class; and unless you have bolt axes Lissa's better as a Sage (and even with Bolt Axes she's 10 times better as a sage).

Jintor

You didn't go War Cleric first? I did (Dark Flier as well) and my Lissa was one of my best units after reclassing to Sage.

I can't remember my exact order, but I'm pretty sure I must have reclassed straight to peg.knight --> dark flier --> sage.

On a total side note, I remember playing FE7 and finishing Lyn's campaign and being like 'Oh, that's all to this game?" and then BAM ELIWOOD. Man, good times.

Blasty

War Cleric is a reallly really bad class; and unless you have bolt axes Lissa's better as a Sage (and even with Bolt Axes she's 10 times better as a sage).
I would have to agree. I went War Cleric for renewal and leveled using rescue staves. I went to Dark Flier the minute I hit level 15.

I can't remember my exact order, but I'm pretty sure I must have reclassed straight to peg.knight --> dark flier --> sage.
I skipped Pegasus Knight because it was getting more difficult to level in Lunatic. I also wanted to get Galeforce.

Chrom

I'm genuinely surprised that we've been on Gaming for such a long time.

Please don't put us back in Community!

Kincaido

The Soul Hackers OT has been in gaming for around 11 weeks now. Maybe 3DS games get special treatment? :x

On a total side note, I remember playing FE7 and finishing Lyn's campaign and being like 'Oh, that's all to this game?" and then BAM ELIWOOD. Man, good times.

Expanding on this side note a bit, I remember when somebody got enraged that FE10 was only "10 chapters long" and didn't realise they had just finished Part 1.

Anyway... I can't wait for this Thursday. I've been waiting to deck out my team with Limit Breaker and see what that Army of Shadow is like.

NeonZ

I have already addressed this.

''You aren't warned about reinforcements in chapter
, where they appear right in the middle of the map. And even when you are warned, you don't know where they will come from, when, how many and (usually) what class they will be.''

Hm... I guess you're right about chapter 24. There's a line about how they got there and are around due to Grimma's power, but that doesn't necessarily mean that more will appear during the battle. Anyway, they still only appear from points that are basically marked on the map though. Even in maps without fortresses and/or stairs, you can easily have a general idea of where they'll come from too.

Take the boat chapter. Like I said, even in my first playthrough, it was pretty easy to figure out that the reinforcements could only come from the edges of the map, so I didn't take my units close to it and stayed in the middle until they stopped for several turns. On the other hand, I didn't want to deal with reinforcements in the tree chapter, so I finished it as quickly as I could, following the story plan, only letting one wave arrive. If you take too long and get surrounded there, you failed to execute the strategy that the characters talk about before the chapter and is being punished for it.

You can't always have a backup plan and sometimes you simply have to bet. For example, in chapter 21 you have to rush forward or else you will get hit by the mages with insane range. You rely on your units to be able to quickly dispatch the enemies. And I'm sure everyone makes ''bets'' or do you mean to tell me that you have a backup plan for every 1% critical hit from the enemy?

In this game, at least, only in Lunatic and above you really need to make bets like that. It's perfectly possible to go through hard with close to 100% efficiency with many different party configurations. If you want to avoid hit chances, have some weaker weapons with high hit rates on hand. If you want to avoid low critic chances, attack from rangers where you can't be counterattack, at least by the weapon with the crit chance, or just attack with a unit that can survive even a critical hit.

This is actually why I kind of dislike doing speed runs or worrying about speed rankings in Fire Emblem, since it forces you to take chances, sometimes even reseting upon bad level ups, depending on the game.

Soulhouf

A little post for those who didn't see John's kikstarter around the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers.

From the last update:
Fire Emblem
Classic and much loved turn-based strategy series, with strict perma-death mechanic. It's also only in recent hardware generations started arriving in the west, despite dating back to 1990 and the Famicom. I've no experience with the series, so will be working closely with my Guest Editor. I hope to contact scenario writer and director Shouzou Kaga, who left the series to form his own company. Given the series' recent release on 3DS, it should be feasible through standard PR channels to contact those involved in more recent editions. Spread the word among the Fire Emblem fan community!

So I'm wondering if I should buy Apotheosis. I'm itching for another tough battle. But how hard are we talking here? Cause I've put a buttload of hours into the game so far for the support log, my best characters are quite strong (even second sealed them), many have several stats in the green and have 80 HP. Do I stand a chance?

But if it's only doable if you've maxed everyone, played 500 hours, bred the perfect kids, and given them Galeforce, then maybe I'll pass.

How neat that all of Cherche's class options are the healing types is because
at the time she met Minerva, she was training to be a cleric.

This does means she would be have been a terrible cleric since her magic and resistance growth is absolutely terrible for one.

Fabrik

Banned
I think I've reached a difficulty wall. Chapter 15 or 16 I think. It seems my characters are way too weak now. Starting on Difficult was maybe a mistake.
I think I will start all over again in Normal mode. I wonder if I played wrong or missed any strategic subtleties. For instance I always never used the Duo command.

Branduil

Gregor's supports with Cordelia are hilarious.

Although I don't know why she needs advice on winning someone's heart when SHE'S ALREADY MARRIED.

I think I've reached a difficulty wall. Chaper 15 or 16 I think. It seems my characters are way too weak now. Starting on Difficult was maybe a mistake.
I think I will start all over again in Normal mode. I wonder if I played wrong or missed any strategic subtleties. For instance I always never used the Duo command.

Have you been fighting all of the risen?

also

Banned
Hm... I guess you're right about chapter 24. There's a line about how they got there and are around due to Grimma's power, but that doesn't necessarily mean that more will appear during the battle. Anyway, they still only appear from points that are basically marked on the map though. Even in maps without fortresses and/or stairs, you can easily have a general idea of where they'll come from too.

Take the boat chapter. Like I said, even in my first playthrough, it was pretty easy to figure out that the reinforcements could only come from the edges of the map, so I didn't take my units close to it and stayed in the middle until they stopped for several turns. On the other hand, I didn't want to deal with reinforcements in the tree chapter, so I finished it as quickly as I could, following the story plan, only letting one wave arrive. If you take too long and get surrounded there, you failed to execute the strategy that the characters talk about before the chapter and is being punished for it.

In this game, at least, only in Lunatic and above you really need to make bets like that. It's perfectly possible to go through hard with close to 100% efficiency with many different party configurations. If you want to avoid hit chances, have some weaker weapons with high hit rates on hand. If you want to avoid low critic chances, attack from rangers where you can't be counterattack, at least by the weapon with the crit chance, or just attack with a unit that can survive even a critical hit.

This is actually why I kind of dislike doing speed runs or worrying about speed rankings in Fire Emblem, since it forces you to take chances, sometimes even reseting upon bad level ups, depending on the game.

The boat chapter is an exception since you are surrounded by sea so it's only logical that the reinforcements will arrive from the corners of the map and since they spawn at their corners, there's a high chance they won't be able to reach your units during the turn they spawn. It's when reinforcements spawn more in the centre of the map and can reach your units in the same turn that things get annoying.

I didn't really have that many problems in the first half, but in the second half it seemed the difficulty jumped up quite a bit and I had to grind some Risen encounters to make some of my units viable for battle, since they were getting killed way too easily. That's when the randomness started to annoy me.

The boat chapter is an exception since you are surrounded by sea so it's only logical that the reinforcements will arrive from the corners of the map and since they spawn at their corners, there's a high chance they won't be able to reach your units during the turn they spawn. It's when reinforcements spawn more in the centre of the map and can reach your units in the same turn that things get annoying.

I didn't really have that many problems in the first half, but in the second half it seemed the difficulty jumped up quite a bit and I had to grind some Risen encounters to make some of my units viable for battle, since they were getting killed way too easily. That's when the randomness started to annoy me.

Are you trying to raise everyone or just focusing on a core group?

Randdalf

Chapter 9, damn. I've been stuck on it for about a week (although most of that time I was not playing it and/or playing Animal Crossing), I finally got lucky. The 2nd turn after the Wyvern wave, Ricken (paired with Virion) was in a dangerous situation I didn't spot. Luckily there was only one Wyvern left on the map. He attacked Ricken and took him to 10/21 HP. Then an archer with 14 ATK attacked, and I thought: "here we go again". Virion blocked the attack, and then they did a pair attack to kill him. Then a pikeman attacked with 11 ATK, and missed, with like 79% hit chance. Somehow I survived. Then on the same turn, Tharja attacked Chrom, and due to Chrom being paired with a Pegasus Knight, Tharja got taken down to 1 HP, which was also super lucky - I then managed to recruit her.

Now I'm at the end and I'm deciding whether or not
to sacrifice Emmeryn
, thoughts?

Marche90

I hope that it gets funded, since it sounds so freaking interesting. I want to back it too, but I don't have enough money right now, and I doubt that I'll be able to get enough before the time runs out.

EDIT: Eh, somehow that was off-topic, so...

Oh, yeah. I've been thinking about what to do with my current hard playthrough, since it seems that I rushed myself to marry MU with Cordelia, and I kinda want Lissa this time around xD. Should I restart? I'm in chapter 12.

GamerSoul

I have a problem. I can't decide who to raise for my elite squad Normal play through >_> There are too many great characters. Some characters, like Cordelia are actually not that bad so it's making the choice harder. lol

Is Nowi better than Panne in most cases? I think Nowi's kid might be a better choice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I have a problem. I can't decide who to raise for my elite squad Normal play through >_> There are too many great characters. Some characters, like Cordelia are actually not that bad so it's making the choice harder. lol

Is Nowi better than Panne in most cases? I think Nowi's kid might be a better choice.

Do you do grinding in DLCs?

If not, than Panne. She is one of the mainstays of non-grinding playthrough for Lunatic/Lunatic+ due to her general consistency when leveling up (her strength, especially.)

However personality wise Nowi's kid >>>>>>>>>> her kid, though they are perfect for one another, hahaha.

Gregor's supports with Cordelia are hilarious.

Although I don't know why she needs advice on winning someone's heart when SHE'S ALREADY MARRIED.

Rule of the thumb: AVOID raising Cordelia's support--well, with male characters at the very least--if she's already married. It's a total immersion-destroyer.

One of the reasons back on my 1st playthrough I restarted my game after marrying her.

Top Bottom