• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

I guess he doesn't like how fighting is completely out of his control.
Yes

So I gather you don't like turn based games where you issue an order and hope the RNG doesnt make you miss?
Yes.

When ever I go anywhere, I have to drive my own car. I dont like feeling like I have no control.

Thats why flying freaks me out. I've flown to several places around the world, but I still have anxiety attacks when I fly. I usually hang out at the bar for about an hour before my flight. Then I continue to drink on the plane with a couple of Norcos in me.

demidar

Yes

Yes.

When ever I go anywhere, I have to drive my own car. I dont like feeling like I have no control.

Thats why flying freaks me out. I've flown to several places around the world, but I still have anxiety attacks when I fly. I usually hang out at the bar for about an hour before my flight. Then I continue to drink on the plane with a couple of Norcos in me.

The combat happens on a higher level, the units are just the pieces. Leaving units undefended, making them charge in by themselves or without adequate backup, fighting a bad matchup will get your army totaled and playing on Hardcore makes each death permanent. You have total control over your army, that's the "character" you control. Sure individual battles aren't controllable but you do control who fights who where and with what weapon.

Celegus

I guess he doesn't like how fighting is completely out of his control.

I actually feel like this game has a much higher level of control compared to most SRPGs, which I really really like. It tells you exactly how much damage you will do and take, exactly where enemies can target, and exactly how likely it is to dodge/crit. Even Advance Wars was a little fudgy with their numbers which made it really difficult to coordinate attacks sometimes. Sure sometimes the RNG gets you with a bad dice roll, but I feel like the game is incredibly fair and much easier to plan out your strategies than most.

I'm like that with Mario games. I love watching people play them, but I just do not like to actually play platformers. Plus, I'm not very good at them. I appreciate how well made games like Mario Galaxy and such are both aesthetically and gameplay-wise, but I preferred to remain on star bit collecting duty and just watch other people play who are more skilled.

I suppose you could just watch a walkthrough online. Enjoy the story while seeing someone else experience the tension of the tougher fights. The game is pretty easy on Normal, especially with the new Casual mode, though. Plus there's DLC to make it even easier. It's definitely the most casual/newcomer friendly FE game, even if you find SRPGs obtuse. Plus, the tutorial system is excellent and very easy to understand, as well as unobtrusive, so it doesn't hit you with walls of text to put you to sleep. Many of the explanations are optional in the menus.

But maybe the gameplay just isn't right for you. I know people who could never play number stat focused FF games. But they could play KH or Zelda.

Anteo

Yes

Yes.

Even then, when driving you can be affected by things happening around out of your control. It's the same for these kind of games, there are things under your control (the orders: Attack now, retreat because you are in a bad position, heal that unit, etc) there are thing that are not (attacking with a 92% chance to hit can still miss once in a while). Even in fighting games you take risks by hoping things that are out of your control play in favor of you like baiting something, going for resets, trying to predict a specific move, etc.

Soulhouf

Damn... I just cant force myself to like something that I'm just not into. Hopefully I can get into these types of games sooner rather than later... or maybe just at all.

I've never played a FF game. I feel like Im missing a lot.

The story in this game is crap. So, if you don't like the gameplay and the characters and all that sort of thing, forget it.

CorvoSol

Eff my plans, I'm wedding Lon'qu and Cherche again. Their relationship builds so much better than Lon'qu x Tharja. Frederick can have her. Now I need to find Virion a new bride.

Eff my plans, I'm wedding Lon'qu and Cherche again. Their relationship builds so much better than Lon'qu x Tharja. Frederick can have her. Now I need to find Virion a new bride.

If you don't care about the actual usefulness of the kids, wed Virion to Panne so Yarne can have a punk green streak in his mane.

GamerSoul

I liked the story for what it is. It did its job and I didn't see some of the plot twist coming either. I love it more when I don't.

In terms of game play, it's satisfying. You can prepare all you want but like in everything else you can only control so much.

You know who was unexpectedly useful at the end, though? Louise. So many freaking Wyverns come barrelling at you toward the end of that game and she's a high level archer and just eats them alive.

Louise was a great late addition. I always liked her but Wil and Rebecca were my main stays.

You know who was unexpectedly useful at the end, though? Louise. So many freaking Wyverns come barrelling at you toward the end of that game and she's a high level archer and just eats them alive.

She also came with an instant A support with an equally awesome sage, Pent.

You couldn't get better than that.

CorvoSol

If you don't care about the actual usefulness of the kids, wed Virion to Panne so Yarne can have a punk green streak in his mane.

Panne will never be permitted to marry anyone whose name is not Gregor. For crying out loud she jumps into his arms the first time they meet. OTP. Also I never use Yarne, so it doesn't matter. Yarne looks like a male Lopunny. Somewhere out there there is fan art of this.

Louise was a great late addition. I always liked her but Wil and Rebecca were my main stays.

I never used Rebecca. I mean I had Wil and Louise, why bother?

She also came with an instant A support with an equally awesome sage, Pent.

You couldn't get better than that.

Pent was also a beast. My final party was like, Pent, Louise, Florina, Hector, Fiora, Kent, Lyn, Eliwood, Matthew and Serra.

Panne will never be permitted to marry anyone whose name is not Gregor. For crying out loud she jumps into his arms the first time they meet. OTP. Also I never use Yarne, so it doesn't matter. Yarne looks like a male Lopunny. Somewhere out there there is fan art of this.

Well if you really want to see it....

Frost_Ace

Pent was also a beast. My final party was like, Pent, Louise, Florina, Hector, Fiora, Kent, Lyn, Eliwood, Matthew and Serra.

Ok now I wanna see that.

What. Rebecca was objectively better than both growth wise
and she's the cutest :p

BTW I can't be the only one that always ignored Eliwood. Dude is so mediocre at everything, AND he promotes really late into the story on his playthrough.

You should use Gregor!Yarne. With access to Armsthrift, Sol, Vantage and Axefaire and a Limit-Broken Attack cap of 65, he's the best Berserker in the game not named Morgan.

PBalfredo

Up to B rank with Lon'qu/Olivia and a bit disappointed so far, they're just talking about Basilio. Expected more mutually adorkable shyness from both of them.

5HHKMsR.jpg

CorvoSol

What. Rebecca was objectively better than both growth wise
and she's the cutest :p

BTW I can't be the only one that always ignored Eliwood. Dude is so mediocre at everything, AND he promotes really late into the story on his playthrough.

I used Eliwood so he could wed Lyndis, and that was really it. Also it was my first playthrough so I did a lot of things wrong.

You should use Gregor!Yarne. With access to Armsthrift, Sol, Vantage and Axefaire and a Limit-Broken Attack cap of 65, he's the best Berserker in the game not named Morgan.

Yeah but I could also use someone not named Yarne and never ever look back.

Up to B rank with Lon'qu/Olivia and a bit disappointed so far, they're just talking about Basilio. Expected more mutually adorkable shyness from both of them.

5HHKMsR.jpg

The real crime is that Basilio and Flavia
don't have an S Rank.
I mean really. That said, Chrom x Olivia, and Lon'qu x Cherche every time.

5HHKMsR.jpg

True, I was a little disappointed with their supports. Haven't S-ranked them yet, but I guess they are too well acustomed with each other to be adorkable shy.

Getting back into this after a long absence, and it took me five tries to beat Chapter 9--at least two of which were because I managed to
get Tharja killed
. In the end, I never succeeded at that subtask, only the mission itself.

I've been trying to figure out exactly what I've lost by failing. Some say I should just restart the mission until I manage it, but I'm already sick and tired of playing Chapter 9. I can't figure out of people say
Tharja is so important
for game-related reasons, or if everyone just has shipper/fanfic reasons that I don't personally don't give a crap about. What do I do? Do I grit my teeth and play the mission yet again, or can I move on with my life?

Anteo

Getting back into this after a long absence, and it took me five tries to beat Chapter 9--at least two of which were because I managed to
get Tharja killed

I've been trying to figure out exactly what I've lost by failing. Some say I should just restart the mission until I manage it, but I'm already sick and tired of playing Chapter 9. I can't figure out of people say
Tharja is so important
for game-related reasons, or if everyone just has shipper/fanfic reasons that I don't personally don't give a crap about. What do I do? Do I grit my teeth and play the mission yet again, or can I move on with my life?

No character is important besides Chrom and MU. But you do loose (post ch 12 spoiler)
a paralogue and a new recruitable character when she dies

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
get Tharja killed

Tharja is so important

Well, you're not going to be able to get an additional character if you lose Tharja, so you lose 2 basically.

Ricken is the only unit that died on my playthrough that I did not reset for, and it was in his recruitment chapter too.

Btw did anyone else just subconsciously go for an all-female team? I didn't even realize it until I saw that I had like 2 males out of 14, and I was contemplating removing them both...
This happens to me on every FE I can think of.

TrueBlue

I'm going to buy the Scrambles and all the Future Lost chapters eventually. Am I missing anything if I only get the third Rogues and Redeemers?

Well, you're not going to be able to get an additional character if you lose Tharja, so you lose 2 basically.

Right, I guess I'm just trying to figure out (having never played a Fire Emblem before) if this is a major setback or basically no big deal, since I might be recruiting tons of people down the line. I'd heard something about Tharja being an amazing black mage, and that there are very few of those in the game, but at this point I'm not even sure what makes her a black mage versus, say, the two mages I already have as well as my avatar. I don't know very much about the second character (sort of by design--don't want to stumble into random plot spoilers), but I don't want to find that I've just lost the chance to hire two super-powerful characters all because I got tired of Chapter 9.

Basically, I want to know if I'm screwing myself by not going back and replaying the mission.

Chrom

Basically, I want to know if I'm screwing myself by not going back and replaying the mission.

You have so many options for powerhouses that it's really not a big deal if you miss out on two. You're not screwing yourself overly majorly by keeping Tharja dead. I'd personally want her alive, though.

Is it generally better to promote your units when they hit level 10? Or wait a while to train them up more and then do it?

I like going for 10 to get the skills quickly.

NeonZ

Is it generally better to promote your units when they hit level 10? Or wait a while to train them up more and then do it?

It's better to wait for lvl 20 before using a Master Seal. You won't run out of experience/levels, unlike in past FE games, but it's still better to wait for lvl 20 just because the character will level up slower after promotion.

Both promoting at level 10 or 20 results in a character who'll be considered lvl21 by the game, so promoting early will just mean smaller stats in the long run or more grinding to get those stats, if you are grinding. Now, if you just want to change to another base class, with a Second Seal, then it's better to do it at level 10, since the experience formula there is different.

I'd heard something about Tharja being an amazing black mage, and that there are very few of those in the game, but at this point I'm not even sure what makes her a black mage versus, say, the two mages I already have as well as my avatar.

Dark mages and Sorcerers are the only classes that can use dark tomes, which generally all have special abilities, like double attacks, really high critical rates, long range strikes or absorbing the opponents' HP in exchange for smaller hit rates. Anyway, Tharja isn't that good of a unit, it's her starting class itself that allows her to stand out. You only will get one other Dark Mage (in the story), but you can use Second Seals to class change some other characters into that class.

I need some help on some stuff I can't figure out on my own. Mostly what class my child units should be, and who should be the father of the remaining kids I have to get. Also some skills stuff.

MU!Severa(Hero, skills: Armsthrift, Counter, Galeforce, Sol, Swordbreaker):
I love equipping her with Axes and let her go bonkers on everything. Absolutely my best unit right now. I still need a husband for her, but I don't know who'd fit her the most. I was contemplating replacing Sol with Luna, but eh.

Cordelia!Morgan(Paladin, skills: Relief, Counter, Galeforce, Lancefaire, Luna):
I have no idea what to do with her Class, skills AND husband. The skills I got now are clearly replaceable and I don't even like Paladins but the stats seemed to fit her the best.

Donnel!Kjelle(Hero, skills: Aptitude, Astra, Pavise, Armsthrift, Patience):
Obviously, most skills are replaceable, and I'm going to get Galeforce when I feel like it. She's a Hero right now because I really wanted armsthrift so I got her to be a merc. Again, no idea on the class, husband and skills.

Lon'qu!Inigo(Hero, skills: Armsthrift, swordfaire, Galeforce, Sol, Swordbreaker):
I'm okay with keeping him a Hero, but Severa seems to be better at it. He's already S-rank with Lucina so he's locked in there, otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

Stahl!Owain(Swordmaster, skills: Luna, Vantage, Galeforce, Astra, Swordfaire):
I like most of his skills, but Swordmaster does have a shitty strength cap. Again, wife and class suggestions needed.

Sumia!Lucina(Great Lord, skills: Dual strike+, Relief, Aether, Rightful King, Galeforce): Inigo's wife obviously. As you can see I didn't change much about the skills, but I like most already. Maybe get Luna in stead of Relief to take advantage of Rightful King? Otherwise I don't know. Great Lord seems to be her best class.

Chrom!Cynthia(Falcon Knight, skills: Speed +2, Relief, Aether, Galeforce, Lancefaire):
Again, did nothing about the skills. I don't like the strength cap, but I didn't find any other class really suitable. Needs a husband.

Gregor!Noire: Not yet recruited. Open to anything.

Brady, Nah, Laurent, Yarne and Gerome don't have daddies, and I need some suggestions on those since I really don't know who'd be the best for them.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

Donnel!Kjelle makes for a monsterous Assassin if you give her Galeforce, Swordfaire, Armsthrift, Limit Breaker and Luna. The best weapon for that setup is Ragnell, which you can obtain from Paralogue 23.

Anyone who has Relief should get it swapped for Renewal/Lifetaker since they're objectively better healing skills.

Morgan should be whatever you want her to be, since she's so versatile. Need a good Dark Flier? Bam, she's your girl. A Dark Mage? You know who to call. Just use your best judgement, and possibly abuse the fact that she can learn both Pavise and Aegis.

Libra should be Brady's dad, The Vaike should be Gerome's, Ricken should be Laurent's, Kellam should be Nah's, and I guess Virion should be Yarne's (both of his best parents are already married).

Hope any of that helps.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I never use Counter or any of the breaker skills. Would replace them with a faire skill for the ladies, Agressor for males, and Limit Breaker (assuming you have the DLC). Get dat Armsthrift on Morgan too. Grandmaster is her best class. Replace Relief with Pavise on Lucina since Aether is already good enough.

I would do Henry!Brady, Gaius!Nah, Ricken!Laurent, Frederick!Gerome, and anyone else for Yarne because fuck him. (Someone else would be better at answering for Yarne because I never use the kid. He's the only one I never plan for. My text files that I have with my plans on seriously say "anyone else for him because fuck him.")

Labadal

Questions: I haven't married any of my units yet, but if I do, will the parents retire or something like that?

Can I recruit as many characters as I want or is 99 the limit?

Questions: I haven't married any of my units yet, but if I do, will the parents retire or something like that?

Can I recruit as many characters as I want or is 99 the limit?

Nope, the parents will still be useable as well as their kids. (Don't question that).

There is enough room for all the story, kids and spotpass paralogue characters.

You only have a hard limit of 30 for the DLC, spotpass legacy and other people's avatar characters.

Labadal

Nope, the parents will still be useable as well as their kids. (Don't question that).

There is enough room for all the story, kids and spotpass paralogue characters.

You only have a hard limit of 30 for the DLC, spotpass legacy and other people's avatar characters.

Thanks. I'll have to think before I recruit spotpass/legacy characters, then.
Good to know I can still keep the parents fighting for me.

Donnel!Kjelle makes for a monsterous Assassin if you give her Galeforce, Swordfaire, Armsthrift, Limit Breaker and Luna. The best weapon for that setup is Ragnell, which you can obtain from Paralogue 23.

Anyone who has Relief should get it swapped for Renewal/Lifetaker since they're objectively better healing skills.

Morgan should be whatever you want her to be, since she's so versatile. Need a good Dark Flier? Bam, she's your girl. A Dark Mage? You know who to call. Just use your best judgement, and possibly abuse the fact that she can learn both Pavise and Aegis.

Libra should be Brady's dad, The Vaike should be Gerome's, Ricken should be Laurent's, Kellam should be Nah's, and I guess Virion should be Yarne's (both of his best parents are already married).

Hope any of that helps.

I never use Counter or any of the breaker skills. Would replace them with a faire skill for the ladies, Agressor for males, and Limit Breaker (assuming you have the DLC). Get dat Armsthrift on Morgan too. Grandmaster is her best class. Replace Relief with Pavise on Lucina since Aether is already good enough.

I would do Henry!Brady, Gaius!Nah, Ricken!Laurent, Frederick!Gerome, and anyone else for Yarne because fuck him. (Someone else would be better at answering for Yarne because I never use the kid. He's the only one I never plan for. My text files that I have with my plans on seriously say "anyone else for him because fuck him.")

Thanks a lot for the help, and yeah I kinda forgot about Limit Breaker and I will be utilizing it of course. I don't think EU has Dread Fighter or Bride DLC yet, so I'll have to wait for aggressor.

ohlawd

No, still going female Morgan. The male specific classes aren't as useful as the female specific ones anyway.
Nah. Both genders only have one good class to themselves; errthing else sux.

Males: Berserker
Females: Dark Fliers

But you can make a better case for Brides than Dread Fighters.

Top Bottom