• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

desverger

So wow, I finally finished this after getting the game on a launch day.. My total combined gametime is something in the vein of 70 hours, since I played for about 25 hours on Heroic Classic first, ditched it and started on Lunatic Newcomer from scratch. I really felt Heroic was too easy, and in retrospect I was glad I went with this route.. Although scumming the RNG in Newcomer mode became a minigame of it's own to me :)

(In case you weren't aware, if you save just before you get a level up, load that in-battle save, do another action like attacking that shuffles the RNG, then proceed to level that character again you get a different roll to your stats. Obviously this works only in Newcomer mode where you have the two in-battle saves)

I only proceeded to level up a few super powered units that were mowing through the enemy ranks. My own unit was an all-stat capped Dark Knight with Lifetaker and Galeforce, with over 400+ kills in the end.

Oddly enough Frederick who was carrying me through the rough start on Lunatic just fell short to be my Double Guard buddy on my main unit.

My favourite unit besides my own was Severa (child of Cordelia and Lon'qu) as a Hero - Super high skill and speed stat (52 and 48 respectively), with Sol, Galeforce, Lethality and a godly crit rate was just a damn shredder even in the late game. Would been fun to get Rightful King from Lord to her a well, that'd been even funnier. I was consistently pairing her with Morgan as well, double Galeforces meant I could mow down 3 units per turn using the Switch command.

End boss spoilers:
At first I thought Grima was going to be completely impossible, but I guess the proper tactic was just putting a Brave Sword to my own unit, pairing her with Chrom and running to Grima with Galeforce - then using a dance so I got 8 attacks through on a single turn, which mean plenty of attacks from Chrom that weren't shielded by Pavise.. not to mention a lucky Aether proc.

Anyway, great game, definitely my GOTY, plenty and plenty of enjoyement from this title :)

Oxx

I've maxed-out the streetpass tag limit. 50 isn't enough!

I'm not exactly rushing to clear out the battles, though. I might just disable streetpass.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Got around to clearing my Streetpasses and was a little disappointed that a lot of them had around <500 renown or whatever.

vehn

I just bought a 3DS XL, with this game being purchased from the eShop on my old 3DS. I did a data transfer but it didn't transfer the game itself. So I redownloaded the game but when I load it up, it didn't transfer over my save game. . .

On my 3DS, I see there is 3,000 blocks left but I can't see this game on the home screen or in data mangement -> software. Should I have instead transferred the game from the SD card via my computer first?

Anteo

I just bought a 3DS XL, with this game being purchased from the eShop on my old 3DS. I did a data transfer but it didn't transfer the game itself. So I redownloaded the game but when I load it up, it didn't transfer over my save game. . .

On my 3DS, I see there is 3,000 blocks left but I can't see this game on the home screen or in data mangement -> software. Should I have instead transferred the game from the SD card via my computer first?

Pretty sure the system ask you to swap sd cards after a data transfer. You see, the licenses transfer, so the old sdcard now have all the data that will work on the new 3ds

vehn

Pretty sure the system ask you to swap sd cards after a data transfer. You see, the licenses transfer, so the old sdcard now have all the data that will work on the new 3ds

So I won't be able to use my 4GB SD card that came with my 3DS XL? My 3DS only has a 2GB SD Card.

So where is the best moment to get married in this game?
Chrom was forced to marry with Sully in chapter 11
(lolz) but my hero didnt, so there is a special cutscene when he decided who to marry like Chrom's case?

(lolz) but my hero didnt, so there is a special cutscene when he decided who to marry like Chrom's case?

Only Chrom is forced marry.

Your guys can get married at any time (or never).

Anteo

Yeah for the story to work, Chrom must be married after chapter 11, so you could get him a S rank before that chapter or the game will do it for you.
For everyone else it doesnt matter, they can finish the game being single

Would I miss something if my hero doesnt get married with someone at some point of the story? I want to marry my hero with Tharja but I am exploring the other girls personalities and I am currently at chapter 13 i think.
That bunny girl just wanted me for my carrots

CorvoSol

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to make ends meet in Hard Mode? I have NO money for ANYTHING. And if I fight monsters on the map, will the meager money I make cover the costs of new gear?

Anteo

Would I miss something if my hero doesnt get married with someone at some point of the story? I want to marry my hero with Tharja but I am exploring the other girls personalities and I am currently at chapter 13 i think.
That bunny girl just wanted me for my carrots

Not really, the game always save before the final chapter so you can re doit or marry people before that one chapter/play whatever paralogue or dlc you have left

Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to make ends meet in Hard Mode? I have NO money for ANYTHING. And if I fight monsters on the map, will the meager money I make cover the costs of new gear?

Sell the bullions you get. You get some every few chapters, check your inventory.
Also try to use cheap weapons if possible, they have higher durability.

I'm just starting this game and have never played a Fire Emblem before. I have Sacred Stones, but never got around to playing it.

I feel like playing on hard, but not exactly sure how difficult it really is. I'm worried that Normal will be too easy since it's the easiest setting.

So how difficult is this game? I will be playing on Classic by the way. Question is Normal or Hard.

crispyben

Some of my units are finally hitting level 20, and I am looking at my Master Seals, Second Seals and what I believe is called reclassing. Of course, I can't make heads or tails of it: a Master Seal allows me to make My Unit a better Tactician, while a Second Seal allows me to make him/her something else? What's the pros and cons? Sorry for these noob questions, I swear I'm trying...

EDIT: I just found this, which seems clear enough...

In most Fire Emblems, if you were wanting to maximize your stats, you'd only use a Master Seal once the character has reached max level in their current class. This is because it was a one-way street. You had to get as many levels out of them as possible, and using a Master Seal at any point when able had the exact same effect: Level 1 of the new class.

Awakening is different; you can sideclass your units, and even restart the same class once you hit max level. With enough Seals (Second or Master), every unit can hit max stats. This means that you shouldn't be focusing on maximizing their stats, as it's pretty easy to do so. What you should be doing is focus on what skills you want to give the unit. Once they've gained all the skills from a specific class that you want, it's time to move on and choose a new class.

Once you have all the skills you want for the unit, upgrade them into their final class, and leave them there. If they haven't hit max stats at max level, use a second seal, choose the same class, and they'll start at level 1 again, with all their stats intact.

desverger

Some of my units are finally hitting level 20, and I am looking at my Master Seals, Second Seals and what I believe is called reclassing. Of course, I can't make heads or tails of it: a Master Seal allows me to make My Unit a better Tactician, while a Second Seal allows me to make him/her something else? What's the pros and cons? Sorry for these noob questions, I swear I'm trying...

Yup, the quoted part was correct.

What it doesn't say though is that if you want to 2nd seal into the same class, you need to be max level, and if you want to 2nd seal into a different PROMOTED class, you need to be at least level 10 on your promoted class.. it'll make sense once you get a few seals and actually try to use them.

A good place to check the skills is http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html - spoilers obviously. A good rule of thumb is that base classes get skills at lv1 and lv10, and promoted classes (the ones you get when you use a master seal) get skills at lv5 and lv15.

NeonZ

Although that isn't wrong, I would only recommend that if you're planning to grind. Otherwise, your promoted units will get experience slower than they should and have pretty low stats, and that can easily add up very fast with promotions and class changes afterwards, especially on hard and lunatic. Once you add grinding and unlimited experience that all disappears of course, but not everyone enjoys grinding.

Basically, focus on the skills if you're planning to spend a significant amount of time grinding and preparing powerful units and children. However, if you're just planning to go through the main campaign, use second seals at level 10 (unpromoted) or level 15 (for units that are already in promoted classes, like Great Knight, if you want to change their class again) and master seals at level 20 (only usable for units in base/unpromoted classes - there are also some special classes that can level up to lvl 30, and those never use master seals, but can still use second seals).

The main reason for that is that second seals add invisible levels to your unit which makes leveling up slower. Those levels are based on half of your current level. For example, if you use a second seal at level 10, to turn your strategist into a mercenary, he'll have 5 invisible levels - so as a lvl 1 mercenary, he'll gain experience as a lvl6 mercenary. It's much worse for promoted units - A lvl 1 Paladin, or any other promoted class, is considered a level 21 character by the game. So, if you use a second seal to go back to a base class, you'll be adding at least 10 extra levels. If you level up to level 10 promoted to allow a second seal to change you directly to another promoted class, you'll be adding 15 extra levels - so the lvl 1 promoted unit in another class will actually count as a level 36 unit and gain experience slowly unless you're facing units with levels above 15 promoted.

There are caps to those invisible levels though, depending on the difficulty level. If you're playing on normal, the cap is very low, so you won't ever have more than 20 invisible levels (while the cap on hard is 40). These caps are only regarding the slowing down of the experience gains though. You can always still get even more levels, stats and skills.

-Horizon-

I'm just starting this game and have never played a Fire Emblem before. I have Sacred Stones, but never got around to playing it.

I feel like playing on hard, but not exactly sure how difficult it really is. I'm worried that Normal will be too easy since it's the easiest setting.

So how difficult is this game? I will be playing on Classic by the way. Question is Normal or Hard.

Because you've never played a Fire Emblem game before, I recommend playing on normal first.

But yeah, it is the "easy" setting so if you are looking for more of a challenge, go with Hard. Most people in this thread played on hard first and had no problem.

Draxal

I recommend hard/casual or normal/classic ... The hardest stages of the game are the first 4 or 5 so it might not be a fun experience for a new person who hasn't played previous fire emblems. OTOH, normal is probably a little too easy at the end for even new people. If you are dead set on classic mode play normal. If you are willing to not abuse casual mode hards worth a shot.

You could try out hard/classic, but it might be frustrating.

CorvoSol

Not really, the game always save before the final chapter so you can re doit or marry people before that one chapter/play whatever paralogue or dlc you have left

Sell the bullions you get. You get some every few chapters, check your inventory.
Also try to use cheap weapons if possible, they have higher durability.

Suckers are so darn rare, but I suppose if I level up a lot I can make due with cheaper, more durable weapons.

Anteo

Suckers are so darn rare, but I suppose if I level up a lot I can make due with cheaper, more durable weapons.

Also, try to not over grind in hard by using the risen boxes, because they give you less gold than you use to summon them. Try to use a smaller team too.

In lunatic is imposible to grind random fights, they are always at max end game level

Because you've never played a Fire Emblem game before, I recommend playing on normal first.

But yeah, it is the "easy" setting so if you are looking for more of a challenge, go with Hard. Most people in this thread played on hard first and had no problem.

I recommend hard/casual or normal/classic ... The hardest stages of the game are the first 4 or 5 so it might not be a fun experience for a new person who hasn't played previous fire emblems. OTOH, normal is probably a little too easy at the end for even new people. If you are dead set on classic mode play normal. If you are willing to not abuse casual mode hards worth a shot.

You could try out hard/classic, but it might be frustrating.

Cool, thanks guys. I guess I might do hard. I wanna do classic because of all the XCOM playing. I like the idea of "oh shit....well I fucked that up, no going back now."

CorvoSol

Also, try to not over grind in hard by using the risen boxes, because they give you less gold than you use to summon them. Try to use a smaller team too.

In lunatic is imposible to grind random fights, they are always at max end game level

I've been grinding the DLC EXP thing instead, but you get no cash from that at all.

TWILT

Banned
Happy birthday to my waifu, Cherche! <3
cNKy3vU.jpg
I stopped playing Pokemon for 5 minutes just for her.

Shengar

I don't get it why people keep calling Hex Maniac as that girl from Watamote, all the while she have long blue hair, a yellow hairband, and blue outfit. That things should enough to make her look like Tharja!Lucina dang it!

I'm loving every minute of this game so far (except for the feet... why... why), although I"m a little dismayed to find out I upgraded some folks too early into their careers from an optimal min/max perspective. Slightly anxious too about how much effort I should be spending on keeping characters like Vaike and what not levelled up or whether I should be going all-in on my top performers and not caring about the stragglers. Now that some chars have maxed weapon proficiencies I've been switching them to their secondary and tertiary spec to try to keep those up to date.

Either way, superb game, really stoked I picked it up.

Mothman91

So..this game's a bit tad hard. I'm like on chapter 7 or 8, and I have like less than 8 characters alive lol.

tips/tricks/helpful stats for a beginner? Maybe I should've done casual mode, but oh well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So..this game's a bit tad hard. I'm like on chapter 7 or 8, and I have like less than 8 characters alive lol.

tips/tricks/helpful stats for a beginner? Maybe I should've done casual mode, but oh well.

Pair up units and have them battle side by side to build up support. The greater the support, the more likely your units are to guard and attack with each other.

Don't rush in. Keep an eye on the enemy's movements and position your units accordingly so that no more than one or two enemies can hit them. The AI is brutal, they will always go for guaranteed kills and units with weaknesses except in some rare cases.

If you mess up bad in a chapter, don't be afraid to reset. Losing too many units just makes things harder later on.

Oh and review the in-game tutorials, they are brief and will give you a lot of insight into the little rules and mechanics.

Mothman91

Pair up units and have them battle side by side to build up support. The greater the support, the more likely your units are to guard and attack with each other.

Don't rush in. Keep an eye on the enemy's movements and position your units accordingly so that no more than one or two enemies can hit them. The AI is brutal, they will always go for guaranteed kills and units with weaknesses except in some rare cases.

If you mess up bad in a chapter, don't be afraid to reset. Losing too many units just makes things harder later on.

Oh and review the in-game tutorials, they are brief and will give you a lot of insight into the little rules and mechanics.
Yeah I realized the hard way that I should try to pair up people.

thanks alot.

Piotrek

How does the bonus box weapon system work? Do I get them on the spot after unlocking, or are they unlocked at certain vendors' stores?
Also, should I use them at once or keep them for later?
There were simmilar bonus weapons in Etrian Odyssey 4 and those became useless after the first big dungeon.

Same goes for the rest of the unlockable wireless content - maps are obvious but what about the units, challenges and duels?
I want to keep the game as balanced as possible but at the same time I don't want to miss anything, thus my concerns about unlocking bonus stuff. These tend to be balance-breakers in many games.

demidar

How does the bonus box weapon system work? Do I get them on the spot after unlocking, or are they unlocked at certain vendors' stores?
Also, should I use them at once or keep them for later?
There were simmilar bonus weapons in Etrian Odyssey 4 and those became useless after the first big dungeon.

Same goes for the rest of the unlockable wireless content - maps are obvious but what about the units, challenges and duels?
I want to keep the game as balanced as possible but at the same time I don't want to miss anything, thus my concerns about unlocking bonus stuff. These tend to be balance-breakers in many games.

While on the World Map, if you open up your menu you should see Spotpass, and in that the Bonus Box. The Bonus Box contains several weapons that you can take. You can only take them once per save file. Generally you won't be able to use the stronger ones because they are locked behind a required Weapon Experience level of about B or A. Use them if you get stuck but it's really up to you, they aren't unique, just rare. They are mid-game to end-game weapons.

Spotpass bonus maps can only be played near the end of the game.

You can summon cameo units from other Fire Emblem games and they'll appear on the World Map. You can buy stuff from them, recruit them in exchange for gold or you can fight them (and if you win you can recruit them for free).

I don't remember anything about the other two. I think Duel is a local multiplayer thing.

Piotrek

While on the World Map, if you open up your menu you should see Spotpass, and in that the Bonus Box. The Bonus Box contains several weapons that you can take. You can only take them once per save file. Generally you won't be able to use the stronger ones because they are locked behind a required Weapon Experience level of about B or A. Use them if you get stuck but it's really up to you, they aren't unique, just rare. They are mid-game to end-game weapons.

Spotpass bonus maps can only be played near the end of the game.

You can summon cameo units from other Fire Emblem games and they'll appear on the World Map. You can buy stuff from them, recruit them in exchange for gold or you can fight them (and if you win you can recruit them for free).

I don't remember anything about the other two. I think Duel is a local multiplayer thing.

OK, that clears a lot. Thanks a bunch!

Anteo

OK, that clears a lot. Thanks a bunch!

If you are worried about balance and you still want to grind a little, look at your strongest unit and make sure no one overlevels it. If you just start grinding over the average level for a given stage the thing will become easy real fast.

Chrom

The Bonus Challengers are simply sets of enemies that you may face in the game's Dual Tag local multiplayer mode. They're more powerful than the ones already available in the game and reap better rewards for defeating them, but if you can't play Dual Tag then they aren't of any value.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I put them Pokeymanz on hold to finish this game. After 115 hours, starting again halfway through, and countless retries I finally beat the game.

Without a doubt this is my favorite game of the year. Can't wait to start another playthrough once I've cleared through some of my backlog.

Top Bottom