• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

ohlawd

Noire has a great rack. ohlawd approves.

Libra!Brady can get you a Sorc class but it's kinda meh since no Armsthrift.
Lon'qu!Brady gets you a faster kid and one less point in Mag compared to the above.

It'd be nice to know what you're planning with the other kids.

crispyben

So, I'm 8 hours into this, my first FE game, and I can't help but feeling I'm missing out on a lot of things... Is there any kind of beginner's guide available somewhere? I've read all the in-game stuff they showed me, but I still have a lot of questions:

- who are the green- and purple-haired characters on the map?
- why's it better to pair/join characters than to have them next to each other?
- when a character's attacked, why do others (joined or contiguous) only strike back some of the time?
- what's the first number for a weapon's attributes mean?
- how come some characters can strike twice in a round?

The list goes on and on, and I couldn't find clear answers... Help me, GAF!

demidar

So, I'm 8 hours into this, my first FE game, and I can't help but feeling I'm missing out on a lot of things... Is there any kind of beginner's guide available somewhere? I've read all the in-game stuff they showed me, but I still have a lot of questions:

- who are the green- and purple-haired characters on the map?
- why's it better to pair/join characters than to have them next to each other?
- when a character's attacked, why do others (joined or contiguous) only strike back some of the time?
- what's the first number for a weapon's attributes mean?
- how come some characters can strike twice in a round?

The list goes on and on, and I couldn't find clear answers... Help me, GAF!

-Green is a travelling merchant, purple is a random encounter.
-Pairing increases the lead unit's stats (Str, Def, Res, Skill, Mag etc.) as well as protects the back unit (you can use it to hide near death units) but the lead unit gets the majority of EXP. Characters next to each other don't benefit from increase in stats that pairing gives, but allows EXP to be spread more easily. Both gives support bonuses which increase battle parameters (+Hit, +Crit, +Dodge, +Dual Strike, +Dual Guard) depending on relationship between friendly units nearby in the four cardinal directions AND from the rear unit if it's a pair (i.e. you can get support bonuses from more than one friendly unit as long they are directly next to each other).
-Dual Strike and Dual Guards are too powerful if invoked 100% of the time. It is another chance thing to consider. Obviously the chance is higher with a better relationship.
-Do you mean MT? That means might, and it's a number that adds damage directly on top of a character's Str (or Mag in the case of magic). Against an effective enemy type (for example Bows are effective against flying units), the MT is tripled, and then is added on to Str.
-Characters can attack twice per round if their Speed is 5 points higher than the enemy's Speed (I think it's called Speed, might be Dex or Agility)

Also damage is calculated like so: Weapon MT (x3 if against effective type) + Str/Mag - Def/Res = Damage dealt

crispyben

-Green is a travelling merchant, purple is a random encounter.
-Pairing increases the lead unit's stats (Str, Def, Res, Skill, Mag etc.) as well as protects the back unit (you can use it to hide near death units) but the lead unit gets the majority of EXP. Characters next to each other don't benefit from increase in stats that pairing gives, but allows EXP to be spread more easily. Both gives support bonuses which increase battle parameters (+Hit, +Crit, +Dodge, +Dual Strike, +Dual Guard) depending on relationship between friendly units nearby in the four cardinal directions AND from the rear unit if it's a pair (i.e. you can get support bonuses from more than one friendly unit as long they are directly next to each other).
-Dual Strike and Dual Guards are too powerful if invoked 100% of the time. It is another chance thing to consider. Obviously the chance is higher with a better relationship.
-Do you mean MT? That means might, and it's a number that adds damage directly on top of a character's Str (or Mag in the case of magic). Against an effective enemy type (for example Bows are effective against flying units), the MT is tripled, and then is added on to Str.
-Characters can attack twice per round if their Speed is 5 points higher than the enemy's Speed (I think it's called Speed, might be Dex or Agility)

Also damage is calculated like so: Weapon MT (x3 if against effective type) + Str/Mag - Def/Res = Damage dealt
My head is spinning! Thanks a lot for the detailed answers, I'll have to put that to good use, even though I'm playing on the no-death mode.

Krisars

Banned
So this just arrived in my home today:

jMe1COKKpGK5a.jpg

I'm so goddamn happy.

GamerSoul

Is that the art book? Looks nice.

Noire has a great rack. ohlawd approves.

Libra!Brady can get you a Sorc class but it's kinda meh since no Armsthrift.
Lon'qu!Brady gets you a faster kid and one less point in Mag compared to the above.

It'd be nice to know what you're planning with the other kids.

I go with Henry or Lon'qu

Thanks for the advice guys. I kinda ended up with MaribellexChrom but they're not S rank yet.. ._. I also have

Sully x Fred and planning MU and Nah

I really have no idea who else to pair up. Most of my playthroughs have been mostly random pair ups to unlock the kids which has not yielded the best units.

I need partners for:

Cordelia(thinking Vaike)
Tharja
Nowi (thinking Gregor)
Panne(thinking Lon'qu)
Olivia
Cherche
Lissa

Shengar

So this just arrived in my home today:

jMe1COKKpGK5a.jpg

I'm so goddamn happy.

I wonder why Udon have yet to bring this beast of an artbook to international audience.
Thanks for the advice guys. I kinda ended up with MaribellexChrom but they're not S rank yet.. ._. I also have

Sully x Fred and planning MU and Nah

I really have no idea who else to pair up. Most of my playthroughs have been mostly random pair ups to unlock the kids which has not yielded the best units.

I need partners for:

Cordelia(thinking Vaike)
Tharja
Nowi (thinking Gregor)
Panne(thinking Lon'qu)
Olivia
Cherche
Lissa
Cordelia with Vaike is good, just imagine Hero!Severa with Axefaire.
Nowi and Gregor is pretty common pair but it is good
Lon'qu with Panne would be awaste IMO since he give speed modifier to his son/daughter while Panne most likely endup as pairbot. Why not Olivia?
haven't played this game in a long time

any good/fun DLC?
Challenge Pack
Rogue and Redeemers Pack
Scramble Pack (only if you love the characters)
Apotheosis

Anteo

Future past is amazing, it happens in an alternate outrealm where the kids instead of trying to go back to the past to help chrom and co, they stay and try to fight it to the bitter end. Your party goes to that alternate dimension to help them. It's quite hard and some extra conv. You even get another final boss battle here and a new theme Id(hope).

scarlet

Future past is amazing, it happens in an alternate outrealm where the kids instead of trying to go back to the past to help chrom and co, they stay and try to fight it to the bitter end. Your party goes to that alternate dimension to help them. It's quite hard and some extra conv. You even get another final boss battle here and a new theme Id(hope).

Is that dlc too?
Sounds interesting

crispyben

So, here's a follow-up to my first batch of questions, mainly regarding item management:

- can all units use all items? (I guess not, depending on class)
- if not, how do I know who can use what?
- why are some items are "greyed out" compared to others? For instance a bronze sword would be normal but a steel sword would be fainter... Does that mean I can't use them with this unit? Do I have to level up?
- can a unit have useable items in the 5 slots?
- should/can all units carry a vulnerary for self-healing?

Shengar

So, here's a follow-up to my first batch of questions, mainly regarding item management:

- can all units use all items? (I guess not, depending on class)
- if not, how do I know who can use what?
- why are some items are "greyed out" compared to others? For instance a bronze sword would be normal but a steel sword would be fainter... Does that mean I can't use them with this unit? Do I have to level up?
- can a unit have useable items in the 5 slots?
- should/can all units carry a vulnerary for self-healing?

-By item, what do you mean specifically? Is it weapon included? No, Weapons are only useable by classes that have access to them. But if you mean items like Tonics, yes all unit can use it.
-In bottom left of the status screen you can see what kind of weapon your unit can use including their experience with it. Pay attention to the icon and letter beside them.
-Either your unit class don't have access to them or their weapon experience aren't sufficient.
-Well, yes of course they can
-Depends on your strategy. Do you lack of healer? Or the healers aren't deployable because of strategic reasons?

crispyben

-By item, what do you mean specifically? Is it weapon included? No, Weapons are only useable by classes that have access to them. But if you mean items like Tonics, yes all unit can use it.
-In bottom left of the status screen you can see what kind of weapon your unit can use including their experience with it. Pay attention to the icon and letter beside them.
-Either your unit class don't have access to them or their weapon experience aren't sufficient.
-Well, yes of course they can
-Depends on your strategy. Do you lack of healer? Or the healers aren't deployable because of strategic reasons?
Thanks, your answers will help me appreciate this game even more.

GamerSoul

Cordelia with Vaike is good, just imagine Hero!Severa with Axefaire.
Nowi and Gregor is pretty common pair but it is good
Lon'qu with Panne would be awaste IMO since he give speed modifier to his son/daughter while Panne most likely endup as pairbot. Why not Olivia?

Thanks for some feedback. I normally don't really use everyone so its hard to find decent combinations.

ohlawd

Thanks for some feedback. I normally don't really use everyone so its hard to find decent combinations.
You don't even need to use everyone extensively. Most kids already get their best skills from their default parent like Cynthia and Sumia for example.

A pair like Virion x Olivia needs you to grind Olivia out for Galeforce passing but you don't have to touch Virion at all since Inigo will get every class Virion has. Just look at gender exclusive skills and find out which parent will modify a kid's class tree.

Like if Donnel is paired up with a mom who produces a daughter, that daughter will get the Pegasus Knight class but if a son is produced, no such class mutation will occur from Donnel.

Got this game when it came out but quickly set it aside for Etrian Odyssey IV and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, man, I am glad I decided to get back into it because Awakening is easily one of the best games on the 3DS.

I didn't know about the relationship/child thing until late into the game, so I spent the last ten hours grinding up S ranks just to see who the kids all are. Didn't really put much thought or planning into the pairings, just kind of ground up the highest relationship ratings for each couple. I shacked Tharja up with my main character because she cracked me up in those relationship skits, so awkward and creepy. The S Rank skit when my character proposed to her was priceless. I absolutely love the two entirely different and kind of batshit crazy kids they made.
Noire is my favorite one to use because of her violent moodswings in combat. I love the close up tile on her muderous eyes when you get a combat modifier and she screams something ridiculous. Vengeance is a fantastic skill for an archer. Not as amazing as Lethality but it's served me pretty well.

I've sunk over 40 hours into the game and am on the endgame chapter but there's so many paralogue chapters left to explore. The amount of content in this game without the DLC is ridiculous. So glad I got back into this game, it's amazing. I can't wait to buy SMT x FE now.

Anteo

The thing about the later dlc is that for fans of the game, it increases the content exponentially. You are encourage to replay Rogues and Redeemers 3 for example, if you want to try Aphosteosis. You want to replay the scramble pack to read all the possible convs. Same for Future Past.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Happy birthday to Lon'qu, my favorite woman-fearing badass!

Codeblue

Aaaargh, so jealous. Where did you order it from? I'm thinking of getting it for my birthday next month and the only place that I know that has it is cdjapan.

I just got it for my birthday (same day as Noire's incidentally) from a seller that's fulfilled by Amazon for about $62.

GamerSoul

You don't even need to use everyone extensively. Most kids already get their best skills from their default parent like Cynthia and Sumia for example.

A pair like Virion x Olivia needs you to grind Olivia out for Galeforce passing but you don't have to touch Virion at all since Inigo will get every class Virion has. Just look at gender exclusive skills and find out which parent will modify a kid's class tree.

Like if Donnel is paired up with a mom who produces a daughter, that daughter will get the Pegasus Knight class but if a son is produced, no such class mutation will occur from Donnel.

Alright thanks. I think that answers the rest of the inheritance question for me. Maribelle needs to be galeforce ready for her kids. She is kinda sweet when she's pair Chrom.

Virion is one of my favorite male characters in the game. Chrom, MU, Gregor, Stahl, Lon'qu, Virion and Frederick.
I'm only talking about Gen 1 here.

MU, Fred, Stahl, and Chrom for me.

GamerSoul

No, that's called masturbation.

Lol nice

I forgot about Gauis or whatever his name is. I like him too.

for the girls 1st gen:
Sully for sure. Finally a woman made for the battlefield. She has the hawt stuff.
Female MU, very well rounded in the convos.
Lissa, quiryk how can you not like her.
Flavia, see Sully.
Maribelle. Eh.
Miriel: her logic excites me.

ohlawd

Lissa, Maribelle, Cordelia are top tier girls.

Kate Higgens and dat forehead. I would make sweet love to Lissa's forehead.
Melissa Fahn, princess type with nice drill hair. What is there for me to not love? Really.
Best redhead, best lance, best everything. Produces the best daughter.

ohlawd

shiet all these new shows and none of them had a decent enough scene I could use. Gotta wait for episode 2 of everything now.

There was one in Infinite Stratos S2 but the width is no good.

Top Bottom