• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Just finished about 20 minutes ago. What a fantastic game. It's up there with Super Mario 3D Land as one of the best games on the system. Just top to bottom a really well made game. Great characters, gameplay, art style, I loved it all. When I make my GOTY ballot soon, I have no doubt it'll be a top 5 contender, and possibly make the top of my list.

Just be careful when looking up characters, specifically female, on Google. It can lead down a dark path.

Marz

Just finished about 20 minutes ago. What a fantastic game. It's up there with Super Mario 3D Land as one of the best games on the system. Just top to bottom a really well made game. Great characters, gameplay, art style, I loved it all. When I make my GOTY ballot soon, I have no doubt it'll be a top 5 contender, and possibly make the top of my list.

Just be careful when looking up characters, specifically female, on Google. It can lead down a dark path.

Tharja eh?

Dresden

yeah...

QMBN0wM.png

I feel like I made a mistake by choosing to play this game on Hard. I'm only on Chapter 5 and already it seems totally fucked. Every map up to that point has been pretty tough, required a couple restarts but nothing that I couldn't eventually get through. But this chapter... I can make it four turns at max without losing a character. Am I missing something? Am I too stupid for this game? I feel like this game is on the verge of being really fun but is too frustrating to actually get there.

RoySFNR

I feel like I made a mistake by choosing to play this game on Hard. I'm only on Chapter 5 and already it seems totally fucked. Every map up to that point has been pretty tough, required a couple restarts but nothing that I couldn't eventually get through. But this chapter... I can make it four turns at max without losing a character. Am I missing something? Am I too stupid for this game? I feel like this game is on the verge of being really fun but is too frustrating to actually get there.

Going through the exact same thing right now. I even managed to not use the overpowered starting dude up to now for anything besides taking blows without having a weapon equipped. There's just so many units that can't do shit because if they move in for an attack, they are sure to get gimped in the next turn. Pegasus chick is worthless because every single enemy seems to carry a bow around and the mounted dudes are barely able to take more than two hits. The only usable units seem to be Lissa, Chrom, My Unit. Invisible heavy armor dude and Axeman (I suck at remembering names)

Are we supposed to power through with trial and error or is there something I'm not getting?

Going through the exact same thing right now. I even managed to not use the overpowered starting dude up to now for anything besides taking blows without having a weapon equipped. There's just so many units that can't do shit because if they move in for an attack, they are sure to get gimped in the next turn. Pegasus chick is worthless because every single enemy seems to carry a bow around and the mounted dudes are barely able to take more than two hits. The only usable units seem to be Lissa, Chrom, My Unit. Invisible heavy armor dude and Axeman (I suck at remembering names)

Are we supposed to power through with trial and error or is there something I'm not getting?

Using Frederick as an unspiked wall? Why not pair him with Sully? Sully gets a major strength/defense boost that only gets better as her support rank goes up while still getting full experience even if Frederick kill-steals. She also gets +1 movement.

Anteo

Wait wait wait, did you just said Sumia is shit? She can double almost anyone in the chapter she joins, that is enough to give her levels for the later chapter, by the time I get to chapter 6 she is one of my best units. Now, Cordelia? She joins in a chapter where she can barely survive and is at least 4 levels lower than Sumia.

If you really really dont want to grind, use as few characters as posible, 6 max by ch 6-7. Focus your exp in Chrom, Lissa, MU and a couple more and you will be fine, as the game goes on you will recruit units that are already leveled and can join your army just fine, plus more enemies in later chapters = more exp you can use 8-9. I did just fine in all of my no-grind runs doing this.

Edit: Oh about Tharja, I ran into a Tharja like Pony image the other day, was amusing and creepy

Marz

I take it you guys are new to the series?

Fire Emblem is one of the most brutal series out there, even besides perma death the games are notorious for how much they make you think.

I've been playing since 7 on the GBA so it was easy for me and a lot of others to jump straight in on hard mode, but if you're brand new, start on normal like the game recommends.

Macka

I've restarted this since I'd left it for a few months and forgotten everything. I'm only on chapter five but my avatar seems to suck this time around. I remember he was a powerhouse in my first (partial) playthrough so it's kind of annoying.

RoySFNR

I take it you guys are new to the series?

Fire Emblem is one of the most brutal series out there, even besides perma death the games are notorious for how much they make you think.

I've been playing since 7 on the GBA so it was easy for me and a lot of others to jump straight in on hard mode, but if you're brand new, start on normal like the game recommends.

I'm not new. Played through Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. I'm just a bit rusty.
Turns out I didn't understand the whole teamforming thing. I thought it was like the rescue feature in earlier games so I avoided using it but now that I understand, I'm breezing through. Thanks Fire Emblem GAF. :)

In reply to Anteo:

I think I messed up that part. Just cleared chapter six and mainly used Sumia as a form of transportation for Chrom. My main powerhouses are Chrom, MU, Vaike Stahl and heavy armor man (he is as invisible as the story suggests since I still can't remember his name). I've read that Vaike and Stahl tend to get RNG screwed but they've had massive gains up to now so all is good!

crispyben

I finally finished my first playthrough of this, after 32 hours in three and a half months, and I'm still having trouble grasping the children mechanism. Once I marry people, a new mission opens up where I can rescue their future child? Said child inherits some of its parents skills at the time I tackle said mission? Is there an authoritative list on the best/ideal pairings, both for fighting and parenting? The depth of this game is staggering...

demidar

I finally finished my first playthrough of this, after 32 hours in three and a half months, and I'm still having trouble grasping the children mechanism. Once I marry people, a new mission opens up where I can rescue their future child? Said child inherits some of its parents skills at the time I tackle said mission? Is there an authoritative list on the best/ideal pairings, both for fighting and parenting? The depth of this game is staggering...

I can't really give you any best pairings list (I'm sure other people will jump at that chance) but I can tell you that a child inherits the last learnt skills from both of their parents and their selectable classes (this also means a male child can inherit skills that only a female-only class can inherit, for example inheriting Dancer skills, and vice versa). Their stats, stat growths and stat caps are also all higher in general, meaning children are flat-out stronger than their parents.

Anteo

The max stats of the children are equal to the sum of the modifiers of both parents +1.
Meaning: Lissa has -2 to her max Str. while Vaike has a +3, so Owain would have a +2 to his max str if those two are his parents.

This is the list with all the modifiers.
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_max.html

This means that if you want a strong unit is best to use parents that have the same stat modifiers, like Cherche who has a +3 to str too, so if she marries Vaike, Gerome would have a +6 to his max str.

Now, the starting stats of the children depends on the current stats of the parents, so if you are having a hard time recruiting the children because they die pretty fast, level up their parents.

And about the skills, the children get the skill on the 5th slot from both of the parents at the moment you start the chapter(some exceptions apply, and if you have less than 5 skill, the last one of the list is the one inherited) so if you want them to have different skills you need to move around the skills of the parents and restart the chapter. Skills that are locked to a sex like Galeforce (female with access to Pegasus Knight only) can be inherited so Units like Owain or Inigo can have Galeforce even if they dont have acces to Pegasus Knight.

There are only 3 exceptions: Lords will always give Rightful King to their boys and Aether to the girls regardless of whatever skill they have on the 5th slot. Characters with unique skills like Shadowgift or Conquest will always give that skill to their children regardless of their 5th skill. Special Dance can't be inherited.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Starting this game right now.

My first Fire Emblem game (I play a lot of SRPGs though)

Is there anything that I absolutely should not do in my first playthrough?

Wait to recruit the kids until they have the abilities you want. That will make sense when the time comes.

Anteo

What kind of crazy advice is this? You need Frederick on Lunatic. I am sure there is temptation to over-use him, but he's pretty fantastic. Plus he has one of the best quotes ever: "Pick a god and pray!"

Also, I too played Frederic Emblem.

DY_nasty

I lost one guy but it was the most unlikable guy in the group.

I feel bad because Sully was starting to like him but... she can do better.

Also, I too played Frederic Emblem.
I'm saying that on Lunatic, he's the only character who can actually survive a 1v1 encounter at the start of the game, and for most of the early game.

I lost one guy but it was the most unlikable guy in the group.

I feel bad because Sully was starting to like him but... she can do better.
I don't think I could handle Lunatic on Classic without using the DLC stuff. Sometimes I just had to sacrifice characters. :(

Anteo

I'm saying that on Lunatic, he's the only character who can actually survive a 1v1 encounter at the start of the game, and for most of the early game.

I don't think I could handle Lunatic on Classic without using the DLC stuff. Sometimes I just had to sacrifice characters. :(

And that's why we call it Frederick Emblem. Actually, you can get out of the prologue with some levels in MU if you get the right starting stats and growths.

Also I found it boring, I could only use like 3 characters so I could not be bothered to go past ch 14 in no grind lunatic. And grinding in lunatic is just slow due to the higher internal levle cap. That's why I stick with no grind hard runs

Anteo

How's the DLC? I haven't even got a SD card for my DS yet.

It's okay. It goes from silly fan service to cheat maps to amazing new stages to maps that are way too hard. I like the scramble pack and the future past pack. (I actually got all of them)

The 3ds should come with its own sd card from the box right?

And that's why we call it Frederick Emblem. Actually, you can get out of the prologue with some levels in MU if you get the right starting stats and growths.

Also I found it boring, I could only use like 3 characters so I could not be bothered to go past ch 14 in no grind lunatic. And grinding in lunatic is just slow due to the higher internal levle cap. That's why I stick with no grind hard runs
We had the same experience, then. Around Chapter 14 (give or take a chapter) there was a mission that there was just no goddamn way I could handle it. My only units that could handle any kind of heat were Frederick, Chrom, and I forget his name, but the dude Basilio gives you after the tournament. All of the healers were unprotectable, and it was just too much for those few units to handle. I ended up begrudgingly buying the EXP DLC to get the rest of my characters caught up, and the game is much more manageable now. It's unfortunate that there's no other way to grind levels in Lunatic, because those skirmishes are at least twice as hard as any level I'm on at a given time.

I did gain a few levels with MU at the start, but, not knowing how the game worked (first FE), I made him strength-based at the start. Of course, the game decided to not give him enough health to actually put him in the melee, so I grouped him with Chrom for the first 5-6 chapters. It wasn't until like...chapter 19 that I finally married MU off to Cherche (though I kind of wish that I married him to Flavia).

Is there any kind of New Game+? I hate losing all my progress, but I want to change things up a bit on a new playthrough.

DY_nasty

I'm not sure why I care more about these grunts than the ones from XCOM or Valkyria.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Must be Yarne.

He's probably not that far yet though. And Sully can't like him. Still the worst though.

GamerSoul

I'm not sure why I care more about these grunts than the ones from XCOM or Valkyria.

Cause most of them are unique and memorable in their own way. Probably helps most of them have supports too.

Lol pokemon killed this thread for real. Ill be back to my waifus eventually.

ohlawd

FINALLY managed to beat Chapter 5 on Hard. A small achievement for most people here, I'm sure, but it took me forever.
Not really. I always found Chapter 5 to be the biggest obstacle. You're now en route to Fire Emblem Awakening - Easy Street. Enjoy the leisurely walk.

Picked the game up again after having moved onto other things (see: Pokemon), and just like that, I'm hooked again. I'm juggling grinding my characters on my hard play through and starting on my lunatic play through. Kinda hard to get motivated to start over again, though.

I had a pretty cool moment today, where I came across a StreetPass team I had fought before, that was now using my avatar as one of its members. Like an idiot, I made a beeline for him to see how I'd fare, completely forgetting he has counter (I haven't used him much since I maxed him out). I felt so amused and slightly betrayed.

Shengar

With Avatar water trick, you could survive Lunatic Classic without resorting to any DLC or grinding. Veteran as skill is OP as fuck if you focus all the EXP to Avatar. There is a reason why this game dubbed as Frederick Emblem: Veteraning Massive luck is required of course.

With Avatar water trick, you could survive Lunatic Classic without resorting to any DLC or grinding. Veteran as skill is OP as fuck if you focus all the EXP to Avatar. There is a reason why this game dubbed as Frederick Emblem: Veteraning Massive luck is required of course.
What is the Avatar water trick?

GamerSoul

If I can get through Lunatic without dlc, anybody can do it. Just be prepared to lose a lot of characters and restarting every chapter very frequently. Marrying the avatar to Chrom to create a great tag team combo was the only way I was able to beat it.

Shengar

What is the Avatar water trick?

During the prologue, clear the first half of the map by using Frederick. Have him attacked the middle mercenary and make sure no other unit in enemy range so both barbarian will attacked Frederick in enemy Phase. Then procced by making Chrom went full to the right, near the bottom Mercenary so in enemy phase he will attacked Chrom(leaving him only with less than half of HP). If all procceed as planned, the two barbarian will be have less than half HP, enough for Avatar to finished one off right away and the next one in enemy Phase (make sure he/she paired with Lissa so the veteran become active). Give Lissa's vulneralies to Avatar so he/she can heal themselves.. You could finished the mage with Frederick or gained extra EXP for Avatar with endurance game. If you took the latter, give Chrom's Vulneralies to Avatar after the deed is done.

This is where the trick start. Heal everyone, and keep the pair as it is (LissaAvatar and ChromFrederick). Now, while both Avatar and Chrom can move to water tile, there isn't single enemy that can do same thing. No melee enemy can reach you in the middle of the river except a single mage. You need to play the endurance game with that particular mage. Don't attack him during player phase, instead heal with vulneralies. Only attack to deliver the finishing blow later. With the mage taken care off, you can picked off those poor bastard with ranged attack, only by Avatar so he/she gain all the EXP. The amount of EXP from playing endurance game against the mage(s) and picking off the melee is enough for him/her to reach level 7/8. Assuming you don't get DEFscrewed, Avatar paired with Frederick can tank against further advesaries with less RNG factor.

EDIT: While I think that Lunatic Classic is still manageable by MaMU, FeMUxChrom indeed make the job easier with those two monsters offspring. Also stat is EVERYTHING in Lunatic if you don't want to get screwed later on just because your unit can't take an extra hit/deliver the killing blow. Prepare your hand for soft-resetting when crappy growth of 1-2 stats occured.

During the prologue, clear the first half of the map by using Frederick. Have him attacked the middle mercenary and make sure no other unit in enemy range so both barbarian will attacked Frederick in enemy Phase. Then procced by making Chrom went full to the right, near the bottom Mercenary so in enemy phase he will attacked Chrom(leaving him only with less than half of HP). If all procceed as planned, the two barbarian will be have less than half HP, enough for Avatar to finished one off right away and the next one in enemy Phase (make sure he/she paired with Lissa so the veteran become active). Give Lissa's vulneralies to Avatar so he/she can heal themselves.. You could finished the mage with Frederick or gained extra EXP for Avatar with endurance game. If you took the latter, give Chrom's Vulneralies to Avatar after the deed is done.

This is where the trick start. Heal everyone, and keep the pair as it is (LissaAvatar and ChromFrederick). Now, while both Avatar and Chrom can move to water tile, there isn't single enemy that can do same thing. No melee enemy can reach you in the middle of the river except a single mage. You need to play the endurance game with that particular mage. Don't attack him during player phase, instead heal with vulneralies. Only attack to deliver the finishing blow later. With the mage taken care off, you can picked off those poor bastard with ranged attack, only by Avatar so he/she gain all the EXP. The amount of EXP from playing endurance game against the mage(s) and picking off the melee is enough for him/her to reach level 7/8. Assuming you don't get DEFscrewed, Avatar paired with Frederick can tank against further advesaries with less RNG factor.

EDIT: While I think that Lunatic Classic is still manageable by MaMU, FeMUxChrom indeed make the job easier with those two monsters offspring. Also stat is EVERYTHING in Lunatic if you don't want to get screwed later on just because your unit can't take an extra hit/deliver the killing blow. Prepare your hand for soft-resetting when crappy growth of 1-2 stats occured.
Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Yeah, early on I felt the need to reset whenever I got bad stats on level up. Every point was so important. Now, most of my characters have their important stats maxed, so I don't really care...

-Horizon-

I just choose not to bother with Lunatic/Lunatic+
I feel like if I do play it on those settings, I would come to get frustrated at FEA and begin to hate it and I don't want that.

Shengar

Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Yeah, early on I felt the need to reset whenever I got bad stats on level up. Every point was so important. Now, most of my characters have their important stats maxed, so I don't really care...
If you need further help, just asked it here. Most of that comes from Serene Forest though, I just reposting what I've successfully applied :p
I just choose not to bother with Lunatic/Lunatic+
I feel like if I do play it on those settings, I would come to get frustrated at FEA and begin to hate it and I don't want that.

I can understand that. Lunatic can be very frustating for many people since one screwed level up can mean a lot for the next chapters. You practically under RNG Goddess mercy while playing Lunatic. And Lunatic+ means that you just hate yourself if you thought your first Lunatic run is frustating enough.

GamerSoul

I kinda liked Lunatic because I knew going in I would only be able to do so much so I had a simple focus. It was all about surviving with enough to make it through the next chapter no matter how many units I lost. Would I do it again? Probably not. hah

The only game mode that made me hate fire emblem was Hector's Hard Mode.

;_; Oh gawd why were there so many Sorcerers with Beserk Staffs?? Now that was horrible.

Top Bottom