• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Shengar

So are there examples of units that are best paired?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this. It's complicated, and now I feel like I need to restart because I didn't do the things mentioned.

Yes many . One of the best example is Sumia, paired with Frederick. As single unit, Sumia might severely lacking during her introduction chapter because she's quite underleveled, while her stats are actually decent. She's just need little push to make her able stand on her own without too much babying. This is where Frederick come. Pairing him with Sumia will give extra DEF and STR, which make her quite versatile as she already capable of doubling some unit. Even in the long run, FrederickxSumia is one of the pair gameplay wise, since Frederick will gave bonus to two stats that Sumia quite lacking, DEF and STR.

Petrie

Banned
Yes many . One of the best example is Sumia, paired with Frederick. As single unit, Sumia might severely lacking during her introduction chapter because she's quite underleveled, while her stats are actually decent. She's just need little push to make her able stand on her own without too much babying. This is where Frederick come. Pairing him with Sumia will give extra DEF and STR, which make her quite versatile as she already capable of doubling some unit. Even in the long run, FrederickxSumia is one of the pair gameplay wise, since Frederick will gave bonus to two stats that Sumia quite lacking, DEF and STR.

In this situation though who would be the lead character? How does the stacking work?

KiraFA37

In this situation though who would be the lead character? How does the stacking work?

Sumia, since you'll want to level her. Stacking basically increases some stats (you'll see them, character dependent) of the lead unit and allows the unit that paired up with the other unit to perform an attack or defend the character during the battle. So pairing up Frederick with Sumia gives her survivability that she needs in the beginning of the game. It also allows you to protect Sumia once she get low on health and there's no healer nearby. Just switch and Frederick takes the blunt of the damage while Sumia will give him some speed and an increase in movepoints.

A female avatar with his son, both having galeforce, being paired up is a walking apocalypse. That important is pairing up in this game.

Petrie

Banned
Sumia, since you'll want to level her. Stacking basically increases some stats (you'll see them, character dependent) of the lead unit and allows the unit that paired up with the other unit to perform an attack or defend the character during the battle. So pairing up Frederick with Sumia gives her survivability that she needs in the beginning of the game. It also allows you to protect Sumia once she get low on health and there's no healer nearby. Just switch and Frederick takes the blunt of the damage while Sumia will give him some speed and an increase in movepoints.

A female avatar with his son, both having galeforce, being paired up is a walking apocalypse. That important is pairing up in this game.

This is why I hate this game. I've used Sumia zero so she is like level 2.

I'm going to restart and then end up quitting. I know it. Fuck these games!

Anteo

You dont have to, Sumia is a good unit imo but some people prefer Cordelia instead, as she gets Armshift which allows her to use any legendary weapon without having to worry about the use limit.

Just use anyone you want, but if you want to use someone at low level just pair him/her up with someone that covers their stats weakneses and get some kills. You can beat the game with only the two main units if you hate everyone.

GamerSoul

You don't have to use everyone, just try to enjoy the experience. And yea you do get another Pegasus unit so don't worry.

RoySFNR

Just beat the game last night on hard for a first playthrough without any deaths in my squad. Feels good.

Anyone else feel [LAST CHAPTER SPOILERS]:
the final battle was a bit of a let down considering you can and probably should finish it in 1-2 turns. Grima got aether´d to death in a single round for me which killed some of the epicness of fighting a incredibly strong opponent storywise.

Anteo

Just beat the game last night on hard for a first playthrough without any deaths in my squad. Feels good.

the final battle was a bit of a let down considering you can and probably should finish it in 1-2 turns. Grima got aether´d to death in a single round for me which killed some of the epicness of fighting a incredibly strong opponent storywise.

Now go get Future Past for a rematch

Shengar

Good, now play in Lunatic.
Don't blame me if your L+R+Start button get broken from too much soft-resetting

NeonZ

That's entirely dependent on the difficulty level, the build of your team, if you grinded or not... I kind of messed up my first run through Awakening (playing on Hard Classic, but promoted characters at level 10 while attempting to not grind). The only way to finish that stage without anyone dying was to finish off most of the troops before advancing to the final boss, wait for the reinforcements at his side one last time and then advance, break a hole in the forces around him, and finally charge him and finish it off in one turn, after finally reaching it.

I guess the stage was designed around that level of power though, since it seemed to make every part of chapter's design relevant, while with a better team you can just quickly advance and finish him off before his troops can even move. I guess it's kind of odd to design a super powerful villain around a large number of troops helping him and unlimited reinforcements though, rather than highlighting his personal power...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Thanks for all the help so far - question though

What about the characters that turn into beasts and dragons and whatnot? How do you get the most out of them?

Anteo

What about the characters that turn into beasts and dragons and whatnot? How do you get the most out of them?

Depends on how much time you want to use raising them. Donny is the only natural beast that can pretty much solo every stage after he promotes. Everyone else? You will need to do some grinding to get the most of them, both for stats and skills.

Of course, Donny is also bad for Lunatic and above since it requires too much baby sitting and his caps hurt him bad. For any other difficulty he is pretty much the Lord of the RNG

Well initially, their weapons will be limited since you no shops will sell beast/dragonstones so just be careful with not overusing them.

After you gain access to the shop (after chapter 12 or so), just use them as any other character. Go through their other classes to pick up some nice skills and stats.

Funny enough, both of them make great Wyvern Knights.

Dresden

The dragons are good in their base class (although you want to level them up in others to get necessary skills - stuff like pavise/aegis/luna all works well, and swordbreaker is also a good option), but Panne should go ride wyverns.

Is it worth it to reclass a level 16 Frederick to something else? I'm planning on marrying him off to Olivia, if that affects anything. Same goes for a level 20 Nowi who will probably end up with Kellam.

Also is there any recommended pairing for my boy Lon'qu?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Is it worth it to reclass a level 16 Frederick to something else? I'm planning on marrying him off to Olivia, if that affects anything. Same goes for a level 20 Nowi who will probably end up with Kellam.

Should reclass him to a Caviler or Knight to get his stats up. He is a great choice for Olivia btw. Lon'qu would be good with Cordelia, Lissa. or Cherche.

Shengar

Haha, I did not. I wanted something difficult. I definitely swore on a few levels after resetting for time 50.

I am at the end of the game. :p
I understand if you have played other FE game before, and started at Lunatic for challenge. But first game on Lunatic? You really are lunatic.

Manakete is good class, they essentially invincible tank even in Lunatic when paired by a Hero or Great Knight. But both Nowi and Tiki need some or litte babying respectively since their starting level is comparatively low, though after they can stand on their own, they pretty much wrecked anything. Taguel isn't that good since they 1-range locked, which gives them disadvantage during enemy phase. Best class for Panne and her son is Wyvern Ryder and Berserker respectively.

Are you planning on grinding or no grinding run? If you choose for the latter, then I suggest you to put that Second Seals to anybody else since Frederick level cap already high. Even as Knight he still required too much exp to level up, which is waste on resources. But if you choose free playthrough, then why not? There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

ohlawd

Lunatic seems more cheap than difficult with some of those rediculous skills the enemies can have. Will have a crack at it though. Expect a frustrated post or two :p

Lunatic+ is crazier with skills.

Vantage+ (always strike first even if it's your turn), Hawkeye (never miss)
Luna+, Pavise+, Aegis+ (will always trigger)

I just started this game for the first time.

Hard difficulty + classic mode.

So many soft resets

this is my fifth fire emblem. I am still not good at it.

Shengar

Lunatic seems more cheap than difficult with some of those rediculous skills the enemies can have. Will have a crack at it though. Expect a frustrated post or two :p

Lunatic enemies have ridiculous stats and hax forges. Lunatic+ level that up top eleven with hax skills.
I thought Lunatic would be much better as hard game mode if the enemy have stats like Hard enemies, and fair forged weapons. Lunatic+ would be much more manageable and fun if that is the case.

Dresden

It's only tough early on. And even that is lessened if you're willing to use Freddy.

Bought this game and Super Mario 3D Land on black Friday, never played any fire emblem title.

What an amazing game.

As a lover of shining force 1 & 2, I really wish I had jumped into this series earlier. On chapter 10, classic/hard. I lost Ricken, Miriel, Vaike, Gaius and Cordelia (who died before I could get down to help her). Losing Muriel hurt as she was part of my core team but I kept moving forward. I really shouldn't have bought this so close to finals

Lombax

Banned
I picked up Fire Emblem a couple of weeks ago. I am 4hours in and in love with the game. I have two rather basic [silly] questions.

1. is there a way to repair items in the game so chars can continue to use them? For example my healer has used up her staff and I can't figure out how to "fix" it.

2. Where / can you buy the items that allow a char to switch to an advanced class at level 10?
To dovetail onto that question should I use on on Donnel right when he hits 10?

Game is amazing!

demidar

I picked up Fire Emblem a couple of weeks ago. I am 4hours in and in love with the game. I have two rather basic [silly] questions.

1. is there a wait to repair items in the game so chars can continue to use them? For example my healer has used up her staff and I can't figure out how to "fix" it.

2. Where / can you buy the items that allow a char to switch to an advanced class at level 10?

Game is amazing!

1. There is only one way to repair items: With a staff called... uhhh the Hammerne? It's a rare staff that should only be used on legendary weapons. Besides that, your only recourse is to replace weapons and staves.

2. I think the first time you can buy a Master Seal is chapter 11? It should be the map that takes place on a port. Once you clear that stage you can buy it from that shop on the world map.

Lombax

Banned
1. There is only one way to repair items: With a staff called... uhhh the Hammerne? It's a rare staff that should only be used on legendary weapons. Besides that, your only recourse is to replace weapons and staves.

2. I think the first time you can buy a Master Seal is chapter 11? It should be the map that takes place on a port. Once you clear that stage you can buy it from that shop on the world map.

Many thanks.

Chrom

1. is there a wait to repair items in the game so chars can continue to use them? For example my healer has used up her staff and I can't figure out how to "fix" it.

Game is amazing!
There is a way to repair items but it's done through the use of an uncommon item called Hammerne, which itself breaks upon use. The idea is that you're basically supposed to deal with your items breaking all the time. The only way to not lower your weapons' uses is with the skill Armsthrift (learned by any and all Mercenaries), and with a high enough Skill stat, you could literally use a weapon forever thanks to that skill.

Master/Second Seals don't become available for purchase from any of the story shops until as early as Chapter 12 or so. It's technically possible to buy them earlier through StreetPass or having them pop up in a merchant's store (a random occurrence) but for the most part you won't have an easy way to obtain them until later in the game. I don't know how exactly far you are into the story but you do receive a couple of seals during missions, so use those if you want.

As for Donnel, it's not a bad idea to change his class as soon as possible. Villager is an overall terrible class. Unless you want him to learn Underdog at Level 15, definitely change his class when you're able to.

1. is there a way to repair items in the game so chars can continue to use them? For example my healer has used up her staff and I can't figure out how to "fix" it.

Game is amazing!

On that Donnel question, he starts as a Villager which is one of those special classes that don't promote and can go up to level 30.

You can change his class with an item called a Second Seal that you can't buy until like chapter 16 or so. But yes, it is best to switch Donnel's class the first moment you get to get rid of those bad caps.

Kinda wish I would've started this on hard, but it was my first FE so I was kind of wary. Granted it's probably good that I didn't play it on hard first because I would've been fucking up left and right.

But I've played the shit out of Advance Wars, so I should've probably played on hard. Oh well. I'm definitely gonna play through it a second time, so at least that will give me something different.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I started playing today and the games great and all but my MC overpowered far too quickly and can pretty much one shot any boss I come across, even when the boss attacks me it's instant death. I'm at Chapter 10 Does this game get dramatically harder on normal. I'm tempted to promote etc but I'm level 20 and the games already a but too easy. I'm playing on classic, but that doesn't really change much. Wanna respect but the item hasn't dropped yet

Kinda wish I started this game on hard....

Shengar

I started playing today and the games great and all but my MC overpowered far too quickly and can pretty much one shot any boss I come across, even when the boss attacks me it's instant death. I'm at Chapter 10 Does this game get dramatically harder on normal. I'm tempted to promote etc but I'm level 20 and the games already a but too easy. I'm playing on classic, but that doesn't really change much. Wanna respect but the item hasn't dropped yet

Kinda wish I started this game on hard....

Normal is basically easy mode for the game. It is perfect to get used to the mechanics or breeze playthrough, but if you seek challenge, a fair that is, you should try Hard. Though I must said that there is noticeable difficulty spike between Normal and Hard. One thing I can say to survive the difficulty spike is to take unit position into consideration, and try to spread out damage as good as you can.

Dresden

On any difficulty, if you funnel xp to your main character he or she will quickly become overpowered... it's just how the game plays out. Spread the love, and don't grind, if you want challenge.

LogicStep

Ok so this is the first SRPG I've actually played for more than 20 minutes. I don't understand the point of the healer. I already lost her so I reloaded my save and managed to keep her around but I don't see the use in battle. To even heal I have to be next to the unit and that unit is usually fighting, so it leaves my healer right there in the front lines to get murdered. I'm not sure I'm playing this right... Also, wtf is up with the character's feet?

Shengar

Ok so this is the first SRPG I've actually played for more than 20 minutes. I don't understand the point of the healer. I already lost her so I reloaded my save and managed to keep her around but I don't see the use in battle. To even heal I have to be next to the unit and that unit is usually fighting, so it leaves my healer right there in the front lines to get murdered. I'm not sure I'm playing this right... Also, wtf is up with the character's feet?

Well in Normal she barely have any use, but in Hard, when you usually forced to create chokepoint with tanky character she will be quite useful. In my playthrough she usually the third highest leveled unit in my army after Avatar, and Miriel.

LogicStep

I'm not sure how the choke points work, I thought I was blocking the enemy path with my units in one scenario but they just went through. Is there some go to video that teaches the basics? Or should I just keep going and see what happens.

demidar

I'm not sure how the choke points work, I thought I was blocking the enemy path with my units in one scenario but they just went through. Is there some go to video that teaches the basics? Or should I just keep going and see what happens.

Healing range increases with the magic stat, so in later chapters you can heal units from half the map away.

LogicStep

Healing range increases with the magic stat, so in later chapters you can heal units from half the map away.
That sounds useful. Really liking the game, just kinda lost in how to be effective and not lose my units. Maybe I should have gone with the easy mode.

Anteo

Only for ranged staffs like Physic. Heal and Mend wont increase in range.

That sounds useful. Really liking the game, just kinda lost in how to be effective and not lose my units. Maybe I should have gone with the easy mode.

Healing is really really important, also try to spam heal a lot even if the units are missing 1hp. Healers get lots of exp in this game and in all of my runs Lissa is the first one to promote and become one of my main units. At chapter 14 she is currenlty 5 levels ahead of Chrom and MU

Also about blocking the enemy path. Enemies cant walk on top of your units unless they have the skill Pass. Same for your units.

GamerSoul

It might help if you to press A on emeny/enemies, it will show their range in battle so you will know for sure if you're fully blocking them with your chokepoint. Archers, magic users, and certain weapons like hand axes, and javelines can hit units if they're a space away so you will have to account for them also

I'm not sure about any video, sorry. But you should learn more as you play and figure out what strategy best works for you.

Rizific

First time 3ds owner and first Fe game ever for me. Question. Am I doing myself a disservice by skipping all the cut scenes and just waiting to fight? I sometimes like to watch the animation because I think it's very well done, but the story side of the game I have no interest in. I'm still early in the game, ch 5 or so. Should I start paying attention to the story?

GamerSoul

First time 3ds owner and first Fe game ever for me. Question. Am I doing myself a disservice by skipping all the cut scenes and just waiting to fight? I sometimes like to watch the animation because I think it's very well done, but the story side of the game I have no interest in. I'm still early in the game, ch 5 or so. Should I start paying attention to the story?

By cutscenes do you mean the actual dialogue text too? I think you should probably skim it so you at least know what's going on. There are a few events you may want to keep an eye out for. Imo I don't blame you for skipping them because they can be tedious to read but it's worth paying attention to understand why certain events have occured.

If it gets too boring then ehh you don't have to pay close attention to it.

Soriku

I got the game yesterday and on chapter 3. Hard/Classic. Some of my units are lagging behind in levels because I don't want to send them out to get demolished. Any tips? Any particular characters I should be focusing on the most? And should I do any forging yet?

Anteo

You really need to pay attention to the text, you may miss some characters because you decided to skip the chat and never got the hint.

I got the game yesterday and on chapter 3. Hard/Classic. Some of my units are lagging behind in levels because I don't want to send them out to get demolished. Any tips? Any particular characters I should be focusing on the most? And should I do any forging yet?

1) That's normal, there is not enough game in the main campaing to train everyone without going out of your way to grind random battles. Pick the ones you like the most and ignore the rest. If you do decide to replay the game, pick a different set of units to train.

2)If playing on normal/hard: DO NOT USE FREDERICK. He is a overleveld underpowered unit. His actual level is = current level + 20, so he looks good but his stats are shit for his actual level, and since he is really over level 20 he gets little exp per kill compared to other units, so he will just eat exp and not grow at all. Imagine a random RPG, the dev gives you a +30 level unit along your main party. This level 30 unit is strong compared to the others but his stats are like a level 15-16 of the same class. He, being at such a high level will barely get exp per fight/kill. That's Frederick.

On the other hand, Donny is a beast, babysit him till level 10 (or 15 if you want to go for his second skill) and turn him into a Merceneary, he will proced to destroy everything and everyone. From that point he can solo the entire game, final boss included.

3) I would not bother with foging (unless it's to get a stronger lance for donnel)

Top Bottom