• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's right. It will continue to tick down every use until it hits 0 when it breaks. Armsthrift (Luck*2 %) has a chance to prevent weapon use. 50 Luck (100%) means its usage will never go down.

Aside healing abilities and weapons that heal you that aren't unbreakable

Aexact

You might still want to be lenient about rarer weapon use. They have less charges then common weapons (though a brand new rare weapon will last you the entire battle unless you're soloing and doubling the enemy or something unusual) and are a bit more expensive.

It used to be that you couldn't buy them until the end of the game too but now that they've all been released you can find the right Wireless Spotpass team and buy them one at a time. Except for some legacy items from sparkling tiles like Aversa's Night.

It's... I don't want to say that's not how the game was meant to be played (but those Spotpass dudes weren't always available, weapon availability was supposed to be balanced around the shops and how far you were in the game, and it's not how the game was meant to be played *pouts*) but if you have enough gold, you'll always have replacements for the strong weapons.

Err, short story, normally, you want to choose the weapon you attack with care. Surviving, maybe even one-round-KO'ing is more important then conserving weapon use of course.

Zing

Banned
I played up to chapter four today. I don't yet have access to the wireless menu. I did finally get the ability to trade items. I was just about to look online to see if this was possible when the game presented the trading tip. I also don't have access to any sort of shop.

I had my first death in chapter one. I sent Lissa out to heal someone in a fort, not realizing that the enemy would simply ignore my teammates directly next to them and gang up on poor Lissa. I am playing on Classic mode, so she was gone for good, but I restarted the level this early in the game. A shame, too, since I had found some sort of bow on the ground.

I assumed all the sparkly areas on the map were items, but after I restarted, the area where I found the bow now just gave me "training". I assume this just raises weapon skill a bit. I found another later that gave experience, and one with a throwing axe.

I am having a lot of fun. I try to pair up when possible and exploit weapon strengths. I'm playing normal difficulty and it feels just about right so far.

Aexact

Are they not? Damn. They are available via the sparkling spots though right?
You can buy Braves from the 2nd to last map of the game (so basically post game). Items from sparkling tiles are either legacy weapons or joke items.

Braves are also available from teams summoned by Spotpass, randomly on some wandering merchants or random Risen spawn encounters.

Regalia, if you want a 2nd one, you'll need Infinite Regalia. Can't even buy them from Streetpass teams.

RiggyRob

You can buy Braves from the 2nd to last map of the game (so basically post game). Items from sparkling tiles are either legacy weapons or joke items.

Braves are also available from teams summoned by Spotpass, randomly on some wandering merchants or random Risen spawn encounters.

Regalia, if you want a 2nd one, you'll need Infinite Regalia. Can't even buy them from Streetpass teams.

I didn't even know that - it's been a while since I played Awakening, but I've bought all of the DLC so when I finish Bravely Default and A Link Between Worlds I'll definitely get back into it.

-Horizon-

I had my first death in chapter one. I sent Lissa out to heal someone in a fort, not realizing that the enemy would simply ignore my teammates directly next to them and gang up on poor Lissa. I am playing on Classic mode, so she was gone for good, but I restarted the level this early in the game. A shame, too, since I had found some sort of bow on the ground.

You lost Lissa? ;-;

ASIS

Can we please gush about chapter 10 for a bit? at first I thought it was "meh" but a few days later it's having a great impact on me. Probably the best FE chapter ever, and I've played quite a few FE's.

Can we please gush about chapter 10 for a bit? at first I thought it was "meh" but a few days later it's having a great impact on me. Probably the best FE chapter ever, and I've played quite a few FE's.

Sure. I'll just say the obvious: that music was phenomenal.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
She has arrived!

Bq9JkgU.jpg

Zing

Banned
You lost Lissa? ;-;
Yes, I expected the enemies to be "engaged" and unable to move away from my units once they were adjacent. Apparently, that is not a mechanic of this game, and units can freely move around each other without penalty. The enemies simply stopped attacking me and moved in on Lissa for the kill.

Zing

Banned
I just lost Miriel in a battle because I didn't notice that the enemy axemen could attack at range 2. It's frustrating because it was the end of that long battle, and I had actually made very wise decisions and used great tactics up until that point. I didn't reload. My plan has been to ironman it through any character deaths. However, one thing is severely bothering me. The other characters act as though the death never happened. Hell, it was just a "tournament", and a fellow teammate died. Not a single word or tear or any recognition at all from anyone.

I think I'm going to restart a casual game. I can see how it may cause you to be lazy near the end of a battle and just send everyone in without regard to the consequences; "the end of the world" effect. I will give it a try and see how it goes.

NeonZ

I just lost Miriel in a battle because I didn't notice that the enemy axemen could attack at range 2. It's frustrating because it was the end of that long battle, and I had actually made very wise decisions and used great tactics up until that point. I didn't reload. My plan has been to ironman it through any character deaths. However, one thing is severely bothering me. The other characters act as though the death never happened. Hell, it was just a "tournament", and a fellow teammate died. Not a single word or tear or any recognition at all from anyone.

That's a problem with deaths in general in all FE games, but in Miriel's specific case(and most other female characters you get in the beginning of the game), she doesn't really die. Even with permanent death activated, due to plot reasons, she's just wounded and unable to fight alongside Chrom's troops from then on.

Here's her defeat quote in Classic Mode:
I still have so much to do. Discoveries to make, new knowledge to uncover... Science would be dealt a terrible blow were I to perish here, so I shall withdraw...

Also, you thought the Arena Ferox battle was long, really?

Zing

Banned
That is why I chose those words. If you are implying that it is relatively short compared to later battles, that is fine, but only means the potential of frustration will greatly increase later.

Even when Lissa died, no one batted an eye.

I am going to play casual up to the same point as my classic game and make a decision then.

NeonZ

Lissa doesn't die either though, just permanently retires from combat like Miriel, and she even keeps appearing in the early cutscenes all the time. But, yeah, there's no big reaction scenes even to actual deaths. At best, you might get some tweaked dialogue, but even that is really rare.

Like I mentioned before though, basically all female characters you get early in the game don't actually "die", just get too wounded to continue fighting in the war. There are some male characters like that too, although they're rarer (Frederick, Virion).

RiggyRob

That is why I chose those words. If you are implying that it is relatively short compared to later battles, that is fine, but only means the potential of frustration will greatly increase later.

I am going to play casual up to the same point as my classic game and make a decision then.

There's a reason why they don't 'die' permanently though -
If you managed to get the female characters to have an S support, a side chapter will open up to recruit their children. If they died after the side chapter opened up but before recruiting the child, it'd make no sense plot-wise considering the only way the children recognise their mothers is through a special ring they carry. Because recruiting the child characters is such a big part of the game, they can't really remove the female characters from the game.

Azuran

Banned
Man, there's so much stuff to do in this game it's almost overwhelming. According to my 3DS, I have already clocked in over 180 hours and I haven't even done half of the stuff this game has to offer like playing the paralogue and Spotpass/DLC missions.

Also, I let Chrom marry Maribelle because I'm sure as hell not letting him have my precious Olivia. I laugh in the face of the optimizers.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Man, there's so much stuff to do in this game it's almost overwhelming. According to my 3DS, I have already clocked in over 180 hours and I haven't even done half of the stuff this game has to offer like playing the paralogue and Spotpass/DLC missions.

Also, I let Chrom marry Maribelle because I'm sure as hell not letting him have my precious Olivia. I laugh in the face of the optimizers.
Melissa Fahn voices Maribelle

NeonZ

I like Inigo as Chrom's son storywise. He really resembles physically Chrom with his hair color; He's also the only Chrom child that gets a conversation about his brand when he's joining, and it also fits with his support, where he talks about being a leader in the future and that's why he had to put up that confident attitude all the time. Also, Chrom comparing him to Lucina in his support makes more sense than some other random person.

Zing

Banned
Feel free to replace the word "die" with "sleep" or whatever gentle verb fits the implied situation. My point is that the chararacters don't give any sort of recognizance that their comrade, sister, or lover has been critically wounded or killed.

I think it also befits the theme and story more if all characters remain alive, which means re-loading save games in classic mode. I'll just stick to casual mode, where I can continue to play as though I were in classic mode, but reserve the right to not re-load my save if someone happens to fall in battle. I treat the characters like the traditional heroes who usually never die.

I'm finding myself torn between keeping everyone paired up, or individual so they can double their attacks. I'm also not sure how experience is awarded. I can't tell if experience is awarded based on damage dealt, the finishing blow, or some other factor.

RiggyRob

I'm finding myself torn between keeping everyone paired up, or individual so they can double their attacks. I'm also not sure how experience is awarded. I can't tell if experience is awarded based on damage dealt, the finishing blow, or some other factor.

There's a fairly complicated formula to exp, but the general rule is you earn 1 exp for attempting an attack (i.e. You miss or you deal 0 damage), you earn 10 exp for a successful attack (i.e you dealt 1 or more damage), and you earn 30 exp for killing an enemy (i.e. your attack reduces the enemy's HP to 0). These do not stack, however, since exp is awarded at the end of the encounter - if you attack an enemy twice and the second attack kills them, you will only earn 30 exp.

Also, the higher your characters level is, the less exp they will earn when fighting the same level enemy - for example, if your level 9 character kills a level 10 enemy, they will get 30 exp, but if a level 19 character kills the level 10 enemy, the amount of exp earned will be reduced from the normal 30.

Healers now get 20 exp for using the Heal staff instead of 10 exp in previous games, which means they level up quicker than previously, but they also learn less exp when using the same staff as they level up - e.g. A level 5 healer using Heal will earn 20 exp but a level 15 healer using Heal will earn less than the normal 20 exp.

Anteo

That also means that Advanced units like Frederick (or any other unit that used a Master Seal) get much much less exp than others when they fight early game units
because advanced unit have +20 levels added before calculating the exp.

Zing

Banned
How do I know which classes are "advanced". For example, are regular "Knights" considered advanced? e.g. Sumia or Kellam

Forgive me if this is all stuff I could wiki/google. I am trying to not spoil anything about the game.

edit: I found a bare bones wiki page listing the classes, so I think I know the answers, but I am still curious if there is any in-game indicator other than just knowing which classes are advanced. Is there an icon or something shown?

NeonZ

edit: I found a bare bones wiki page listing the classes, so I think I know the answers, but I am still curious if there is any in-game indicator other than just knowing which classes are advanced. Is there an icon or something shown?

The class descriptions of the advanced classes (when you touch the class in the status screen) always say that they're a "seasoned" unit.

There are also a few special classes that level up to 30 and don't fit in the standard pattern. Villager is even worse than the other basic classes, and it's mainly there to make it harder to level up a certain character who can easily become broken in normal and hard... but the other ones (Taguel, Dancer, Manakete, Lodestar, Overlord, Bride and Dread Fighter) are generally comparable to the advanced classes as far as their max stats go at least (although Dancer has poor base stats in comparison).

There's a fairly complicated formula to exp, but the general rule is you earn 1 exp for attempting an attack (i.e. You miss or you deal 0 damage), you earn 10 exp for a successful attack (i.e you dealt 1 or more damage), and you earn 30 exp for killing an enemy (i.e. your attack reduces the enemy's HP to 0). These do not stack, however, since exp is awarded at the end of the encounter - if you attack an enemy twice and the second attack kills them, you will only earn 30 exp.

Also, the higher your characters level is, the less exp they will earn when fighting the same level enemy - for example, if your level 9 character kills a level 10 enemy, they will get 30 exp, but if a level 19 character kills the level 10 enemy, the amount of exp earned will be reduced from the normal 30.

Healers now get 20 exp for using the Heal staff instead of 10 exp in previous games, which means they level up quicker than previously, but they also learn less exp when using the same staff as they level up - e.g. A level 5 healer using Heal will earn 20 exp but a level 15 healer using Heal will earn less than the normal 20 exp.

not anymore, it isn't
I think they took that out starting from FE11

Sometimes when I'm on a DLC map, there's some really good music playing, and when I go to the options, the soundtrack option is greyed out so I can't change it. Can anyone explain what this is and when it happens? It seems a little random. Can someone refer me to a list of the greyed out songs that are played?

Aexact

Sometimes when I'm on a DLC map, there's some really good music playing, and when I go to the options, the soundtrack option is greyed out so I can't change it. Can anyone explain what this is and when it happens? It seems a little random. Can someone refer me to a list of the greyed out songs that are played?
... Oh man, there's a soundtrack option. Learn something new everyday.

The music from DLC maps tend to be old FE tracks and not part of the Awakening music list so that's probably why they're static.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/dlc_na.html

Anteo

Yeah, the dlc map tries to load the new dlc music, if it does, it wont let you switch it. Sometimes the game fails to load (if you try to start the map really fast) so it defaults to the random encounter music.

Anteo

Yeah the only thing you need to know is that Marth is the hero of the first 2 games and his story was 2000 years before the events of this game so he is like a legend for the guys in this game.

NeonZ

As someone who's played XCOM but not FE before, Normal Traditional is a good difficulty right?

Normal is very easy in Awakening, but I guess it can work if it's your first FE. Don't grind on normal though unless you want to easily break the main story chapters completely.

Zing

Banned
I already have my sights set on Virion, of the guys from the demo at least :D

As someone who's played XCOM but not FE before, Normal Traditional is a good difficulty right?
If you mean "classic", here is my opinion as a first-timer.

You will have characters die. Sometimes it will be your fault because you are learning. Sometimes you will accidentally overlook something. Sometimes, the game just pulls a cheap move. Sometimes you get hit with a critical. If you are willing to just continue the game as though nothing has happened when a character or two dies, then you can play classic. If you are willing to reload a saved game every time someone dies and replay lengthy battles to min-max your characters, then you can play classic.

I started classic, but restarted in casual mode after a few days. I can still reload if I really want to try for a flawless victory, but I am usually willing to just allow the game to recover my characters when they die near the end of a battle. The tension of the game is still fully there, as I try my best to not allow anyone to fall in battle, but sometimes luck or newbie mistakes happen.

Top Bottom